2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

US Open on links style courses - booo

bogeypro

just a quick vent here... Personally, I'm tired of the trend of having the US Open on a links style courses. Then, we get to watch the British open on a links style course. Let them have the links style and we stick to our parkland and woodlands courses.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it ain't a bad thing once in a blue moon but hope the USGA goes back to a tree lined course like Medina . Let the trees be the penalty and lower the rough.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

If you consider Shinnecock links style then I am fine with it every 10 years or so, but there really aren't that many true links style courses in the US, and Erin Hills is not a links, its in the middle of a prairie. Links needs ocean close by. However the true feature of a links style course, in my opinion, is turf that is covered in fescue that has sandy soil. It should drain well and play firm, which allows for playing the ball along the ground when the wind picks up, which it should on a links.

I have no idea if Erin Hills plays this way or not, if not then a lack of trees does not make it a links.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Ya know, initially I thought that this was just another example of a bunch of pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois chirping about nothin cuz they realize that they just can't show up, make some putts and throw a 63-64 down-

However, after further thought, supressing my natural intellectual bias against the pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois that are a growing Sub-species in combination with my 10:30 meds(actually 10:20), I agree with ya Bogie, the Open Championship is the real deal regarding links style, feskew, etc., and for the USGA to "jump on the wagon," so to speak, to try to "manufacture" that type of course is greatly diminishing some of the world class tracks that highlight the US courses' strengths, i.e., the parkland and woodlands style designs, though I don't think of Erin Hills as a links style however they did cut back the feskew this morning after all of the batching.

Nice observation!

Enjoy the tourney?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I get that it may not be a "true" links style course...it is the US imitation of links golf...no trees, pot bunkers, tall heather like grass, large undulating greens, etc... Whatever happened to Baltustrol, Oakland HIlls, Inverness?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 10.5* 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 wood 

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Tour X PROTO putter

Serious question . Is that area known to have no trees ? If so I guess I get it. If the area has tress then I don't see why the course doesn't have trees unless it's trying to mimick a links course

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ya know, initially I thought that this was just another example of a bunch of pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois chirping about nothin cuz they realize that they just can't show up, make some putts and throw a 63-64 down-

However, after further thought, supressing my natural intellectual bias against the pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois that are a growing Sub-species my 10:30 meds(actually 10:20) agree with ya Bogie, the Open Championship is the real deal regarding links style, feskew, etc., and for the USGA to "jump on the wagon," so to speak, to try to "manufacture" that type of course is greatly diminishing some of the world class tracks that highlight the US courses' strengths, i.e., the parkland and woodlands style designs, though I don't think of Erin Hills as a links style however they did cut back the feskew this morning after all of the batching.

Nice observation!

Enjoy the tourney

My Best

RP

I'm not sure it is the U.S. Open jumping on board. Right now the trend in golf is to deforest. I have a friend in the turf-grass industry and he talks about how not have trees is much healthier for the turf. Everybody is trying to be more sustainable so they are looking at the Oakmont model. So many of our Parkland courses were manufactured during the tree planting craze of the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I'm sure the trend will turn again but right now it is rolling open "pastures."

"Ya know, initially I thought that this was just another example of a bunch of pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois chirping about nothin cuz they realize that they just can't show up, make some putts and throw a 63-64 down-"

This is exactly what is ruining watching PGA golf for me. Imho, this type player is doing more to ruin pro golf than the USGA will ever do. I'd like to have all the whiners bust arse on a 7 or 8am - 5 pm blue collar for a while and see how many are still whining inside their plush air conditioned country clubs afterwards.

How late can one jump on a bandwagon? the Open championship will be 146 this year, this is version 117 of the US Open, there's only so many courses that can host, and frankly we have a stale rota, time to try something else. Maybe Erin Hills or Chambers Bay aren't "it" but USGA needs to try other venues.

just a quick vent here... Personally, I'm tired of the trend of having the US Open on a links style courses. Then, we get to watch the British open on a links style course. Let them have the links style and we stick to our parkland and woodlands courses.

While i love that the US open visits different courses around the US that most would never even know existed and showcases some of the cooler locations. i think recently it has show to lean towards a certain type of course. the pho-links style course if you want to call it something. i would love to see more resort style, green grass, lots of water etc. something that is as far away from links golf as you can get. Maybe even something in Vegas. take it as far as possible from the looks of "links".

But i am interested in watching this course. it looks really cool.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

How late can one jump on a bandwagon? the Open championship will be 146 this year, this is version 117 of the US Open, there's only so many courses that can host, and frankly we have a stale rota, time to try something else. Maybe Erin Hills or Chambers Bay aren't "it" but USGA needs to try other venues.

The USGA cant force a course to host a US Open. Courses apply to hold the event. There is no "rota".

Its hilarious. The tournament hasnt started yet, the course has been pretty much universally praised by the players, but not having those trees man...

However, after further thought, supressing my natural intellectual bias against the pansy arsed entitled self-centered bois that are a growing Sub-species my 10:30 meds(actually 10:20) agree with ya Bogie, the Open Championship is the real deal regarding links style, feskew, etc., and for the USGA to "jump on the wagon," so to speak, to try to "manufacture" that type of course is greatly diminishing some of the world class tracks that highlight the US courses' strengths, i.e., the parkland and woodlands style designs, though I don't think of Erin Hills as a links style however they did cut back the feskew this morning after all of the batching.

Nice observation!

Enjoy the tourney��

My Best��

RP

I'm not sure it is the U.S. Open jumping on board. Right now the trend in golf is to deforest. I have a friend in the turf-grass industry and he talks about how not have trees is much healthier for the turf. Everybody is trying to be more sustainable so they are looking at the Oakmont model. So many of our Parkland courses were manufactured during the tree planting craze of the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I'm sure the trend will turn again but right now it is rolling open "pastures."

This is exactly what Dana Fry, one of the architects of Erin Hills, said the other day. He said he had to fight tooth and nail to get trees removed to create Erin Hills, and it was a "tree by tree process".

While i love that the US open visits different courses around the US that most would never even know existed and showcases some of the cooler locations. i think recently it has show to lean towards a certain type of course. the pho-links style course if you want to call it something.

Is that a links course serving Vietnamese food at the halfway house?

Serious question . Is that area known to have no trees ? If so I guess I get it. If the area has tress then I don't see why the course doesn't have trees unless it's trying to mimick a links course

Wisconsin has plenty of trees, tall, towering, majestic older trees, but the parcel of land it was built on was an old cattle ground, mostly open plain with a few areas of trees mixed in. Part of the appeal of buying the property and making it a course was that there was very little shaping and moving of dirt that needed to be done, it was an open (not US Open) type of setup without having to do much of anything.

I love tree lined courses, but in the golfing world there's a trend towards less and less trees, which I dislike. More trees means less airflow and greens that aren't as well conditioned (fast) as they could be, and on top of that many areas have been hit hard by bug infestations the past 5 to 10 years that have threatened to kill off large trees, making them more dangerous to the golfer.

Said already Erin Hills is not a links style course

i dont think anyone disagrees with you. But it is a links style, or links interpretation course. agreed?

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I think people think it is a link style course because of the large unmowed areas. The unmowed areas are becoming more frequent on many courses. Saves money in a variety of ways for the course. Also provides a more natural look. The unmowed areas take the place of rows of trees. You put it in the trees, alot of the time you are punching out. Same with the unmowed areas.

I think people think it is a link style course because of the large unmowed areas. The unmowed areas are becoming more frequent on many courses. Saves money in a variety of ways for the course. Also provides a more natural look. The unmowed areas take the place of rows of trees. You put it in the trees, alot of the time you are punching out. Same with the unmowed areas.

Unmowed also provides much better vistas over the rest of the course than trees do. Something about being able to stand on a highish tee and overlook the property and see the undulations of the land is much more appealing to me than seeing a wall of trees.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

If you consider Shinnecock links style then I am fine with it every 10 years or so, but there really aren't that many true links style courses in the US, and Erin Hills is not a links, its in the middle of a prairie. Links needs ocean close by. However the true feature of a links style course, in my opinion, is turf that is covered in fescue that has sandy soil. It should drain well and play firm, which allows for playing the ball along the ground when the wind picks up, which it should on a links.

I have no idea if Erin Hills plays this way or not, if not then a lack of trees does not make it a links.

This is a great description of what a links style course should be

Have to agree on this one. It's all about 'globalization' I guess. Links courses are fun to play, but for Majors belong in The British Open, not the US Open

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

It's not a links course. It's not a links-style course. It's a farm course. We have a billion of them around here and they are usually cheap, wide open, and flat. The only way to make them difficult is to keep areas unmowed or dig up hundreds of bunkers. Erin Hills has the added benefit of being all carved up from a big ice cube a few millennia ago. If the USGA wants to put lipstick on a pig (no disrespect to bacon) and call it "heartland" style to appease the coastal snobs that's fine. It's still the best farm course I've ever seen.

G400 LST 10* Tour 65x
G400 15.5* Tour 75x
G30 19* Tour 90x
Z785 X100 4-9
SM7 46.10F/50.08F/54.08M/60.8M
MCC plus4 mid
Kingston KP1 GSS w/ Pingman
Srixon Z star XV

Said already Erin Hills is not a links style course

i dont think anyone disagrees with you. But it is a links style, or links interpretation course. agreed?

No. Just because there aren't trees doesn't make it links. Is oakmont a links course?

Oakmont doesn't look like a links course to my untrained eye. this course does.

BALL; Chrome Soft X