TGC: David Duval is really good

Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry if everyone already knows this, but DD's analysis is so insightful this week, I thought I'd give him a shout out. It's great to hear things from a guy who has been there semi-recently. From the ways the guys might play the course, to the things going through the players' minds, I think Duval has more insight into these guys than any other commentator. I wish we could see him on some weekend broadcasts at the majors.
8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
15* M2 2017
18* M2 2017
4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
SC Newport Two

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,800 ClubWRX
    Over the last couple of years in the booth, he's become much more comfortable and you can hear it in his speech pattern. He's speaking from the heart, saying exactly what he thinks and his perspective as a World #1 and Major Champion brings much to the table.

Always enjoy DD.
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who doesn't like a double d?
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    the guy is awesome, and i like darren clarke also
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see DD replace Johnny Miller or Faldo.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think you can post positive things about people during a major?

Are you new here?

Tell us things you hate please.
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • nicoy3knicoy3k Members Posts: 741 ✭✭
    He's the man, the whole crew is awesome to be honest. Chambee is unliksble but he always brings an interesting and passionate perspective even if it's wrong. Nobilo is just cool and duval is the HOF that really gives a crap about being a good analyst. It's the best "analyst" team in broadcasting imo.

That being said, the best on air play by play/color guy to me is johnny Miller.
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Are you new here?

Aww!, this ain't no real US Open setup! The real ones have to be in the Northeast US. No other golf courses exist in the Lower 48 outside of New Jersey or the like. If we can't have a US Open at a course where my friend's grandfather was a member in 1946, then I don't even care to watch it.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed

And Clarke also amazing
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Aldila Nasty Long 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • upndowninthreeupndowninthree Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

MtlJeff wrote:

Are you new here?

Aww!, this ain't no real US Open setup! The real ones have to be in the Northeast US. No other golf courses exist in the Lower 48 outside of New Jersey or the like. If we can't have a US Open at a course where my friend's grandfather was a member in 1946, then I don't even care to watch it.

AMEN!
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy seeing Holly. DoubleD is good, Darren Clarke, when my sorry old ears catch what he's saying is good. I even like Azinger. but Curtis just doesn't have the whatever it takes to be good. I like seeing other people than Nance, too smooth, speaks in carefully modulated tones, almost religious. Faldo, meh, McCord and Feherty have begun to give me a rash. I even like hearing Chamblee stir the pot.
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger Members Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 16, 2017 #12
    Duval's ok but do we really need another guy who's gonna sugarcoat everything for the players and not utter one critical comment? If there were no Miller, Chamblee, and, occasionally, Faldo golf commentary would be nigh pointless. Guys never hit a bad shot because they choked they just had a "tough lie," etc. Heard a comment from Azinger that was the perfect example of this. Yesterday during Fowler's round he said, "It really helps Rickie to see his friends winning majors." Orly Zinger? Then why hasn't he won one? There are announcers who are player advocates and there are announcers who are viewer advocates, asking and saying the things we're thinking. You need both.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,465 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Over the last couple of years in the booth, he's become much more comfortable and you can hear it in his speech pattern. He's speaking from the heart, saying exactly what he thinks and his perspective as a World #1 and Major Champion brings much to the table.

Always enjoy DD.

She's on Fox.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if he can do color golf coverage, but is he on the short list to replace Miller when he retires?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong grip people know ****.
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    He needs to throw the M Frames on one more time and do a show

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When he first started i was not a fan. Now i think he could be the best one.

Johnny Miller can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. He didn't even acknowledge the insane quality of Stenson's 63 at the British last year, and his presence made the others not do it either. Put Duval in there I say....
  • KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Duval certainly has the most credible and realistic commentary of any of the GC panel. I like Nobilo as well however he and Brandel tend to often over analyze and need to temper expectations sometimes.
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,281 ClubWRX
    Still looks like an Amish carpenter, but he just gets better and better.

Very articulate and great insights.

Likes to stick it to Brandel on occasion - love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file