Tiger and Phil, unique talents.

Greggap

Really miss these guys, these new kids just don't compare. No one has had a short game like Mickelson and probably never will. That guy is unreal around the greens. I'm

not a Tiger fan at all, but I give the guy props for his mental approach, if he needed he make a putt he did, like no one else.

I just don't get excited about Dustin Johnson, Rory or Speith. Anyone else miss watching Golfers who could do things the other guys playing

could not do? I know someone is going to say Keopke did it yesterday, shooting -16 under when other's managed -12. Congrats to

him but take away the 60-80 yard wide fairways and he has no shot. Wasn't a fan of the course layout, announcers making a big

deal of the 25 inch rough that no one hit it in. Coverage was awful.

WITB:
[indent=1][color=#000000]Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 - HZRDUS T110[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fubuki J 70[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
Hybrid: Callaway Rogue[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Callaway 60 Degree PM Grind[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]Putter(s): Odyssey Exo Seven S 33 Inch
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft[/color][/indent]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both have something you really can't teach. While they both understand technique and equipment there is a certain bit of artistry in them that is hard to explain. It's like a combo of Bubba Watson and Ben Hogan. With Phil being a bit more Bubba and Tiger being a bit more Hogan.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

They both have something you really can't teach. While they both understand technique and equipment there is a certain bit of artistry in them that is hard to explain. It's like a combo of Bubba Watson and Ben Hogan. With Phil being a bit more Bubba and Tiger being a bit more Hogan.

amen... people dont get how creative both their minds are.. they simply dont see shots the same as others

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I also think consistency of performance is an issue with players today. Everyone talks about Tiger's years of no missed-cuts.

It seems nowadays, you can have players like Rickie miss the cut at Memphis, then next week be contending for US Open (or Dan Berger winning in Memphis, then missing cut).

And according to Brandel and Duval, Si Woo Kim was ranked LAST in "all-around" stat, and wins Players (and also does well at US Open, betwixt and between WDs and MCs).

I understand the depth of talent and how it has changed. I do not understand how the best players in the world (Tour collectively) have the inconsistency they do.

The inconsistency makes DFS lineup creation impossible, especially for folks like me who never enter more than a couple lineups (on principle).

DFS have made me especially cognizant of looking at player performances versus expectation. I said it before and I'll say it again: predicting the future is impossible (I'm pretty bad at it with two lineups on DK, but even if I entered 1000 lineups (if that was allowed), I don't think I would have picked the top 6).

But anyway, about consistency, there are some other sports (not mainstream US Sports) where the top 10 in the world always are pretty much in the top 10 finishers... like always.

Others have said it here and I agree: the difference between 1, 20, 50, and 70 in the world is slim, maybe even non-existent.

People don't realize just how dominant Tiger was until he was gone from the game. Every year, it seems like they're trying to pump someone up as the next big thing but their high level of success just couldn't be sustained. Two years ago, it was Rory. Last year, it was Speith. None has done much after a dominant season. A win here and there but there were times they missed the cut. Back when Tiger was setting the golf world on fire, a bad round meant he won a tournament by 3 strokes instead of 10. Tiger probably won't surpass Nicklaus, but what Tiger did was just as special.

Really miss these guys, these new kids just don't compare. No one has had a short game like Mickelson and probably never will. That guy is unreal around the greens. I'm

not a Tiger fan at all, but I give the guy props for his mental approach, if he needed he make a putt he did, like no one else.

I just don't get excited about Dustin Johnson, Rory or Speith. Anyone else miss watching Golfers who could do things the other guys playing

could not do? I know someone is going to say Keopke did it yesterday, shooting -16 under when other's managed -12. Congrats to

him but take away the 60-80 yard wide fairways and he has no shot. Wasn't a fan of the course layout, announcers making a big

I might be a weirdo but I always thought that Tiger's short game was better than Phil's

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

you can make a heck of a living nowadays being inconsistent and not 100% golf focused

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

you can make a heck of a living nowadays being inconsistent and not 100% golf focused

Pretty much every golfer from Number 1 to 120 is a millionaire. Though it may take a player at the end of the list a couple years to get there... :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I might be a weirdo but I always thought that Tiger's short game was better than Phil's

It was.

I think in Big Cat's case, it depended on the moment. A lot of Tiger's best short game shots came when he needed the most. Like the chip on 16 at Augusta on Sunday.

I think in Big Cat's case, it depended on the moment. A lot of Tiger's best short game shots came when he needed the most. Like the chip on 16 at Augusta on Sunday.

I think that further illustrates what I'm getting at. Other stories I've heard or seen would be someone playing a Thursday round with Tiger where Tiger "should have shot 74 because of his driving but because of his short game he shot 69."

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Every so often I watch a Tiger highlight video on you tube and am reminded how far golf has fallen. There are a ton of good players but Tiger was the greatest. No Sunday lead was safe with him and he had the ability to hunt down the leaders on Sunday. It is true that Tiger spoiled golf for many of us !

More consistent for sure. I think Phil is probably a better bunker player, and pulled off more spectacular shots on occasion, but much like their full swings Tiger was just more consistent. Phil missed cuts, Tiger did not.

Phil is the master of the flop shot, Tiger only hit that shot when he absolutely had to.

It would be fun to watch them play a game of HORSE around the green though.

Tiger was awesome at hitting difficult shots out of US Open style rough around the green, Tom Watson is the master but Tiger might be #2 all-time. If you are talking a simple chip shot I would take Tiger all day, Phil would get too cute and not pull it off.

Yeah, strong case Tiger was better day in day out.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It's good to see players go on a tear like DJ, Spieth, Day and dominate, even if it's for a year or so.

Expecting somebody to come along and be TW for years on end is not going to happen. Well, not with the current pack.

They can't maintain the level of intensity/mental stamina as TW. They go on a run, then understandably get burned out.

Love Phil and Tiger...

Very much in the vein of jack and Watson...

This blew us all away...at least everyone I know..

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Love Phil and Tiger...

Very much in the vein of jack and Watson...

This blew us all away...at least everyone I know..

[media=]

[/media]

-Chris

No doubt. I mean I could hit that flop shot, if you gave me 10 tries, maybe less.....but I wouldn't want to be Dave Pelz when I was trying to find out how many it would take. :)

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

We were spoiled by having two amazing players like Phil and Tiger around at the same time. I mean, Phil has won 42 times on tour. That's massive.

Yes we've had 7 first time major winners in a row. To do that, for example, Jason Day (record score), Henrik, Dustin (record score), and Brooks (tied record score) literally blew up the record books. Before that Jordan won 2 in a row and had a very close chance at the Grand Slam.

Is the same front-runner always winning? No. Is golf so deep now that someone has to play out of their mind to win? Yup, get used to it.

Jack burst on the scene in 1960...

Tiger in 1997...

We should have another just like them in 2034

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

I think the difference is that in today's game, you have 20+ golfers that on any given weekend can dominate a tournament....

But what we don't see in today's game is someone dominating a season. Is it really even possible anymore?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Rory McIlroy has one less major than Phil Mickelson at 28. 5 years younger than when Mickelson won his first major. He won the FedEx Cup last year in pretty spectacular fashion.

People might say that 'well what has he done this year?' but Phil was up and down all of his career too. Rory is well on course to have a better record than Phil.

Tiger is a different proposition, but there's no point comparing anyone to him really.

Tiger is not Big Cat

That's my buddy who is 6'3" and 350 and swings 125. Let's keep things straight. Hands of a surgeon, former professional athlete

I think his older bro is 450 and 6'8"

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

We were spoiled by having two amazing players like Phil and Tiger around at the same time. I mean, Phil has won 42 times on tour. That's massive.

Yes, and that was DURING Tiger's reign. Probably would have won another 20 tournies without Tiger in there.

Except for Spieth, the problem with many of today's players is that they are robots personality-wise, and Spieth comes across to many as a crybaby.

It was.

I don't know if the chipping, pitching part was better, but Tiger always seemed made the putt after the pitch or chip. How many times over the years did we see Phil make a seemingly impossible play to three or four feet but then miss the putt