REVIEWS: The TaylorMade M1 / M2 Iron Testing Thread

HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes.The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,282 mod
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• poppyhillsguypoppyhillsguy Members Posts: 3,149 ✭✭
    This was an exciting surprise delivered by the Fed Ex man today! Can't wait to go to the range/course tonight.
  • brock9007brock9007 Members Posts: 532 ✭✭
    edited Jul 8, 2017 #3
    OH wow, pulled up from work and saw two boxes, but didn't remember ordering anything recently.....guess I will take off friday and have some range time...

Edit with report below:

First of all, I am at 13 handicap and my current iron set are the Srixon 545 in limited edition (yeap...the black ones) with Nippon 980 stiff. My swing speed with driver is 95-100 (M2 with AD DI). I am 5"8 and a picker of the ball.

I took the M1 7 iron (XP 95 R300), M2 7 iron (Reax 88HL regualr) and my trusty 545 7 iron.

To be honest, looking down on the M1 & M2 at address, there is really not much difference. I would have to pick one up to see which is which.

First 10 balls were with M1 and 6 out of the 10 felt great, other 4 were toe hits, which I felt and distance reflected that. Kinda what I expected with a club design for lower handicap players. Distance was about 1/2 longer than my Srixon and dispersion was close as well. I will say they did not feel as good as the srixon on center hits.

Next 10 (ok, 15) balls were with the M2. Wow, can you say "up, up and away"...the ball really popped of the club face, but wasn't a ballon flight. Waited for the ball to come down and WTH, with the roll out it was 5-8 yards longer than balls hit with M1, and that is with a few toe shots. I did some smooth swings and then very aggressive swings and and was a little amazed at this iron. Just like the M1, it does not have the forged feeling and does have a clicky sound (which I hate).

I took a water break, because it's Mississippi image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Next, I took my trusty black 545 7 iron and said to myself, this shoud seal the deal on why I keep these bad boys....No ball I hit was longer than the M2, actually about a good 8 yards shorter. I said, this is not happening, I had to order these 545s from Japan for the "Black" look. (you know, looks matter). I finally said, one more ball with 545....I finally got one past the M2...it was a "all I had" swing and was pull left. Oh well. The feel factor still goes to 545s.

Wrap up:

M1- just not for me

M2 - (is there a custom black set out?) just as advertised, long and long.

My last few sets are listed below to give you an idea the sets I have played:

Srixon 545

Mizuno 850

Adams CB2

Ping I20

Bridgestone j36 PC

Ping ISI Copper

Bottom line: M2 is the longest iron I have ever hit. I love my 545s, but I could see my self playing M2 very easily. Matter of fact, I will be taking this M2 7 iron in my bag and play it more head to head againt my 545 on the course.

Thanks to GolfWRX and Taylormade for allowing me this test.
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,866 ✭✭
    I really want to test the M1 when you guys are done. Just saying🤔
    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    These irons are ridiculous.

I've never hit 190 with an 8 iron but, I managed to with the M2.

I will say that they felt great and are easy to swing. I know the lofts are strong but, these are ridiculously strong. I can see the high appeal for high handicappers and those that are wanting some extra yardage out of the ball with a weaker swing. That is great, so long as you can control the flight.
  • seany boseany bo Members Posts: 603 ✭✭
    did you guys get an entire set or just a random iron?
  • livininparadiselivininparadise Members Posts: 10
    edited Jul 6, 2017 #7
    Just opened the box. The club is not to any of my specs but I will do my best to evaluate.
  • asugrad1988asugrad1988 asugrad1988 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thank you Taylormade and GolfWrx for selecting me. I'm looking forward to trying them out. They are certainly one of the best looking irons I've seen in quite a while.
    It's OK to tell people how good you are, but when your're really good, they'll tell you.
  • hammergolfhammergolf St. LouisMembers Posts: 103 ✭✭
    My M1 7 iron arrived yesterday! That's the good news. The bad news is that I am traveling the next week so won't have time to hit it for a while. I'm very interested to see how it goes...
    Ping G400 Max 9 Tour 65 Stiff
    Ping G410 3wd @ 15.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 7wd @ 19.5 flat Tensei Orange Stiff
    Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G25 5-PW Steelfiber i95
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50*, 56* @ 55, 60* Modus 105 Stiff
    Evnroll TR8 33"
  • Bstein74Bstein74 Brian S MinnesotaMembers Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Looking forward to trying out what I get (guessing the M2 iron) and comparing it to my current Wilson Staff D300 irons.
    Ping G410 9* w/ Paderson R 
    Ping G410 3W w/ Paderson S
    Ping G410 5W w/ AD-MT SR6
    Ping G410 3 hybrid w/ Tensei Blue
    Ping G410 4 hybrid w/Alta R
    Ping G410 5 hybrid w/ Paderson R
    Ping G700 7-U, Recoil F4 Smackwrap
    Ping Glide 2.0 54*, 58*
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4
    Garmin S80
    Snell MTB-X
  • dave412dave412 Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Yes, im super pumped to participate in this! Thanks to WRX and TaylorMade for choosing me!
    Cobra F7 Driver: Matrix Ozik 55X4 White Tie
    Taylormade M1 HL (2017) 3 Wood: Kuro Kage 70 Silver Tini
    Cobra F6 Hybrid: HZRDUS Black 85 Hybrid
    Ping I25: Ping CFS
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Black 54
    Callaway PM Grind Black 58
    Odyssey X Metal #7 Counterbalanced
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • myurick2myurick2 Members Posts: 134
    Got my e-mail, but no club yet. Really excited to try these.
  • Ace2000Ace2000 Members Posts: 483
    myurick2 wrote:

Got my e-mail, but no club yet. Really excited to try these.

Yep, same here!
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭
    I'll add myself to the "received email but no club as of yet".

Interested to give it a go tho!
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • noahdavis_7noahdavis_7 Members Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Received the email earlier today. OTW home from a vacation as we speak, can't wait to try these things. Even though I'm more of a traditionalist and love blades, I'm ready to see the numbers I get from these things! Thanks TM and GolfWrx for choosing me!
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM M2 16' with a Fukijura speeder 661 X flex
    TM RBZ 3 Wood 15* with the stock stiff shaft
    Titleist 716 MB 3 Iron
    Mizuno MP-68 4-PW
    Nike SV 56*
    [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 F Grind 52* GW[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM Tour Spider Black 35"[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM TP5x ball[/font]
  • deathbymuffindeathbymuffin Members Posts: 522 ✭✭
    Came home to a big surprise on July 3rd, a Taylormade box with both M1 and M2 7 irons to play with! I took them out on the 4th and hit maybe 20 shots with them on the range before teeing off. Quick impressions:

Looks:

These are both beautiful clubs. What surprised me the most is how much alike the two clubs look at address. I was expecting a chunky topline and significant offset in the M2, but it's footprint looked almost exactly the same as the M1, outside of the chrome finish on the M2 versus the frosted finish of the M1. The M2 could almost pass as a player's iron to my eye at address. These clubs both get A's from me in the looks department.

Performance:

The M1 felt a tad thicker than most player's irons I'm used to, but it seemed to come with a bit of added forgiveness too. Well struck shots felt good, with a nice mid-trajectory and with the workability that I've come to expect from a player's iron. But true to Taylormade's claims, the M1 seemed more forgiving than a traditional player's iron. Had a nice soft feel at impact, mishits didn't sting and left you with a more playable result. A really nice combination of the better attributes of both player's and game improvement irons. I've been playing with an old set of Tommy Armour blades, but I've been recently wanting more forgiveness for when I'm stuck with my B or C swing. Based on the early returns, I could definitely see myself bagging these.

I'm not sure if it's the shaft, the design of the clubhead, or a combination of both, but the M2 is definitely a different animal than the M1 at impact. This club launches the ball high, arguably ridiculously so. I was hitting Jason Day moonbombs with this bad boy. Didn't seem to matter what kind of swing I put on it, the ball launched high, flat and dead straight. The club was super forgiving and if not for the insanely high ball flight, I would love to have a set of these for when my swing is out of sorts. I didn't really try to flight it at all, so I'm not sure what it's capable of at this point. One other note was that the M2 had a clicky feel at impact. It didn't bother me since it still felt so sweet....so strange as it sounds, clicky, but smooth and sweet at the same time. I think these clubs will be big winners with the mid-to-high handicap set.

I'll post pictures later tonight and I hope to give them a more thorough testing this weekend.

Thanks again to Golfwrx for the opportunity to participate!
  • VernU_TTVernU_TT Members Posts: 5
    What's the big deal? Longer straighter more forgiving. And that was just the M2. I hit the M1 10 yards longer than the M2. Just as straight and more forgiving. Now granted, my normal 7 iron is 33' loft. The M1 is 30.5' loft. But my best shots were almost 40 yards longer!!!! That's 40. On a string!! Also that includes carry on an indoor hitting bay, but still!!! Almost 200 yards with a 7 iron. So that was with about 40 ProV's I hit. Will test both M1 and M2 again tomorrow. WOW!
  • Ross RogersRoss Rogers Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    HipCheck wrote:

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
    2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
    2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
    2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
    2014 Ping G-30 10.5
    2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag
  • Ross RogersRoss Rogers Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    Thanks Taylormade and Golfwrx! I look forward to testing these sticks!
    2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
    2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
    2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
    2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
    2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
    2014 Ping G-30 10.5
    2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag
  • larrywlarryw lov_betti Austin, TxMembers Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2017 #20
    Got the club yesterday - M1, 7 iron with X95 R300 shaft. Got the email this morning. Love them both. Thanks TM for the opportunity.

The club looks great. Unfortunately I pulled a Piriformis muscle 3 weeks ago and it looks like another 2-3 weeks before being able to test the club. I was on pace for another 200+ round year but this has been the worst injury in terms of playing time missed I have ever encountered. I can basically do anything I want - except play golf. Only thing I want to do is - play golf. image/fie.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fie:' />

I may be late to the testing parade but will pass along the results when possible.

Edited ljw:

As I am setting here posting this - I have delivered another club. An M2, 7 iron with FST Reax R88 shaft. I feel really lucky.
    Tour Edge Exotics EXS driver
    Mizuno JPX 850 3W
    Mizuno JPX850 19, hybrid
    Callaway CR16 4-pw irons
    Ping Tour-W 56/14 SW, 47/08 & 60/10 wedges
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter
  • stevemacstevemac Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    I received the email stating that I have been selected. What do I need to do? I have been looking at the M1. A friend of mine just picked up a set of M2s. The M1 has the offset or lack of that I am looking for. I am anxiously awaiting. Definitely will give them a review since I am in the market. Thanks Steve
  • poppyhillsguypoppyhillsguy Members Posts: 3,149 ✭✭
    Took the two 7 irons to the range last night.

M1 feels softer than the M2 and I felt the ball flight was more consistent and what I want in an iron. The M1 did have a harsher feeling in my hands than I typically like, but I'm going to credit a lot of that to the range balls.

M2 flies very high. It was a windy afternoon and about 100 degrees. I love the high ball flight on the range, but I have a concern what that ball flight would be like on the course. I like to hit the ball different heights for different shots and I don't think I could do that confidently with the M2, but I could with the M1. I don't like the sound of the M2. It sounded "clicky" to me.

I let two members hit both irons. Both were about 16 handicappers and both preferred the M1 due to the high ball flight.

I look forward to taking them out on the course.

I suspect I got my two 7 irons quickly because they shipped Fed Ex Ground from Carlsbad and I'm in Northern California.
  • TWshoot67TWshoot67 TWShoot67 Members Posts: 2,707 ✭✭
    Just wanted to say there was a pleasant surprise when I arrived home today. Two boxes from Taylormade. An M1 and an M2 7iron. Too bad I have to work tomorrow or I'd be right at the range tomorrow. Sunday I play my normal Sunday group of 28 guys, so I will try and get a few shots in on Sunday. But I will definitely get out the following week to give them a real testing. Thanks Golfwrx and Taylormade golf for this little experiment. I can't wait to see how these clubs compare to my gamer.
    Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
    Cobra King LTD w/ Tour only Adila Pink graphics ATX65 R hard stepped
    Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
    TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
    Cobra S3 Pro's 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
    Cobra S3 Gap w/ Nippon 125 S
    Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
    Scotty Cameron 009 SSS 350 Tiffany or
    Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
    Recent Acquisition a Scotty 009 Beached BBC #13 of 50 made, hmm decisions
    Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
    WITB Link
  • TrayrutTrayrut Members Posts: 3
    Excited and grateful to have been chosen to test TaylorMade M1/M2 Irons. If I am correct I am seeng you receive a 7 iron for one or both sets to test. My question n is after testing what do you do with the 7 Irons?

Thanks
  • a2rabidhabita2rabidhabit Members Posts: 6
    I haven't received my iron(s) yet, but I'm wondering ... I'm only 5'7", and my clubs need to be professionally fit so that they'll have the proper lie angle. Off-the-shelf clubs tend to go left for me. I'm assuming that I can have the lie angle of the TaylorMades adjusted. Anyone know if that's correct?
    Trayrut wrote:

Excited and grateful to have been chosen to test TaylorMade M1/M2 Irons. If I am correct I am seeng you receive a 7 iron for one or both sets to test. My question n is after testing what do you do with the 7 Irons?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you get to keep them.

I haven't received my iron(s) yet, but I'm wondering ... I'm only 5'7", and my clubs need to be professionally fit so that they'll have the proper lie angle. Off-the-shelf clubs tend to go left for me. I'm assuming that I can have the lie angle of the TaylorMades adjusted. Anyone know if that's correct?

It's a single demo iron. I wouldn't bother to bend it. And since they're cast, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have much luck bending them if you tried. Just choke down and that will flatten it out for you. I'm the same height as you, usually play 3* flat, but didn't have any trouble hitting these irons once I choked down by an inch.
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,866 ✭✭

Trayrut wrote:

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you get to keep them.

I'd like to purchase an M1 from anyone after they are done trying it out.
    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • DblEglDblEgl Members Posts: 762 ✭✭
    I also received the email and am awaiting the demo club(s). Thanks to WRX and TaylorMade - should be interesting !
  • a2rabidhabita2rabidhabit Members Posts: 6

It's a single demo iron. I wouldn't bother to bend it. And since they're cast, I'm pretty sure you wouldnt have much luck bending them if you tried. Just choke down and that will flatten it out for you. I'm the same height as you, usually play 3* flat, but didn't have any trouble hitting these irons once I choked down by an inch.

Thanks for the info and advice. I did a little more research (TaylorMade's site doesn't seem to mention it) after my post and found out they were cast, so I figured it would be risky to have either one bent. Might still ask the local GolfUSA shop (where I was fitted for my Mizunos) if they've had any experience with these. Or ... yeah, an inch down.
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,565 ✭✭
    edited Jul 19, 2017 #31
    PLACE HOLDER: This is great for TWO reasons; I can give these a try and my son wanted a set so now he can try both too. You will get two perspectives on these clubs; mine (40 year old) and my son (13 years old).

Received these a few days ago and I was able to go to the range a few days ago. I was given the following M1 and M2 7 irons with the following shafts:

M1: 7 iron with True Temper XP 95 R300 (Lamkin UTX grip - more about this later)

M2: 7 iron with FST REAX Steel 88 R Flex (Standard Taylormade grip)

First, I hit Srixon 765 MODUS 120 X-Stiff in my irons and PING G LS Tech with PING TOUR 80 X driver and my driver SS is

107-111.

M1:

LOOKS: One that has never played a "chunky" club or super game improvement iron, I really like the look of these irons. To me they look very compact at address other than the thick top line. Under the hood there is a TON of game improvement with a touch of "style"in it. I love the subdued look, much like the PING series this year, almost ZERO chrome is a nice look.

PLAYBILITY: Initialy on the range I was scared becuase it was a regular flex club so I took it easy for my initial 10-15 swings with it. Ball SHOT off the face, loud crack (didn't care for but not too bad) and ball just kept rising and rising but didnt balloon. I though whoa, that's not what I expected...did it again...another CRACK and the ball just flew. I set another down and I payed attention to how it looked behind the ball, not much offset for a game improvement and I thought..."I could actually play this club!" The 5-7 were EASY swings, aimed at a target of 170 yards away (my normal 7 iron distance) and with a EASY swing I was flying it by 20 yards or so. The next 5-10 I really went after it, same CRACK and ball just flew but to my suprise it was a nice draw, harder draw then the first but it was a nice 10 yard draw. This time the balls were landing just short of the 200 yard marker. ****, 200 yards with a 7 irons...I know they are jacked lofts but it feels good to say " my 7 irons just few 190-200 yards!"

P.S. LOVE the Lamkin UTX grip!

M2:

LOOKS: TOO much going on in the back for me! I am not sure if its the chrome finish or all that carbon fiber but I am not a fan...at all! Too me, it looks like there is more offset than the M1 but I dont think there is...will need to check the site. If I wanted to look down at one of the two I would go for the M1...hands down!

PLAYABILITY: Now, this was interesting, the M2 was quieter then the M1...weird! Now, there is more carbon fiber added to this one and there is a "geocoutic" label on the back. I am sure that it has something to do with all that carbon fiber but it does have a better sound. Other than the sound, it played exactly like the M1 long and straight. The REAX shaft felt a little weaker than the True Temper shaft and it flew a little higher but nothing else I could pick up.

RANGE GRADE

M1 LOOKS: A

M2 LOOKS: B-

M1 PLAYABILITY: A

M2 PLAYABILITY: A-- (shaft was weaker)

Friday I will hit the green stuff....also my son will be hitting tomorrow at the range.

TAYLORMADE IF YOU ARE READING THIS I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO TRY A FULL SET OF THE M1 IRONS.....PM ME PLEASE!!