Does USGA RandA test players clubs?

MaddMaxx

I was looking at tour issue clubs and it started me thinking if the specs could change with usage.

Sergio pretty much wears out the sweet spot on his clubs and could repeated stress change the COR.

I imagine it would go down but still it would need to be checked.

Does the USGA do spot checks on a players equipment to make sure they are within spec?

I read they use a canon to fire a ball at the club. Could it make the club less usable?

I remember years ago Greg Norman, I think, used an untested ball and turned himself in.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at tour issue clubs and it started me thinking if the specs could change with usage.

Sergio pretty much wears out the sweet spot on his clubs and could repeated stress change the COR.

Does the USGA do spot checks on a players equipment to make sure they are withing spec?

I read the use a canon to fire a ball at the club. Could it make the club less usable?

I remember years ago Greg Norman, I think, used an untested ball and turned himself in.

If I remember right Norman used the same ball but it had new markings that weren't in the approved ball list. DQ

USGA does not do on site testing. If a club comes into question they will send it to NJ for testing.

They continue to let Langer and Webb Simpson putt the way they do, so what makes anyone think they will enforce the other rules?

When did Simpson switch to a questionable method? Isn't he still using the Kuchar method which is expressly allowed? Langer is touching shirt but not anchored either.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It is generally accepted than as drivers age they can absolutely go over the COR limits. They typically crack after much more though.

Generally accepted as myth.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Does the USGA do spot checks on a players equipment to make sure they are withing spec?

I read the use a canon to fire a ball at the club. Could it make the club less usable?

I don't think there has been a CT test done on site at a golf tournament even if the CT machine is said to be at some events. Air cannon is not used any more. Unless a player or another party has reason to believe a player is using illegal equipment, no one is checking for anything that might be illegal or out of spec.

Repeated use isn't going to change the COR or the CT value. There might be a momentary deviation about 1 swing before a face caves or cracks, but it's never going to be in the players favor. If a player wears out a spot (say in the face of an iron) the club is still deemed to conform. I can tell you that it never happens anymore as a player is going to swap out the heads long before that happens (other than guys like Langer who is using a decades old set of irons).

No one is going to purposely use equipment that isn't on the conforming list because they know some moron from WRX is going to out them almost immediately. Actually they have more integrity than that and an OEM isn't going to let it happen unless there is a mistake.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

About 10 or 12 years ago Vijay was watching Phil's round on tv after he finished...

He was shocked at Phil's drivers and called the tour...they checked Phil's driver at the tournament...

I want to say it was Doral but I can't remember...

Phil's driver passed..and he was very unhappy...it was around the time they had an argument about Phil's spikes...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

They continue to let Langer and Webb Simpson putt the way they do, so what makes anyone think they will enforce the other rules?

Awesome job working that in. I realize that it must have taken some effort and foresight, so kudos to you :hi:

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

It's on each player to know his or her equipment passes. If any question you can send free of charge to the nJ testing facility to have tested and certified. They send a nice certification letter naming the clubs and the player and the tester and date. . Otherwise it's assumed mainstream oem epuipment that's on the passing list passses . Doesn't become an issue unless someone complains.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

About 10 or 12 years ago Vijay was watching Phil's round on tv after he finished...

He was shocked at Phil's drivers and called the tour...they checked Phil's driver at the tournament...

Phil's driver passed..and he was very unhappy...it was around the time they had an argument about Phil's spikes...

-Chris

That was reported to have happened at Phoenix. I don't think it was ever confirmed.

Doral was Tiger's driver and Pernice called it in after watching on TV.

So I remember anyway.

-Chris

That was reported to have happened at Phoenix. I don't think it was ever confirmed.

So I remember anyway.

Don't know how either of these could have happened as the Tour can't test a driver once it has been in play. I think Tiger did a full interview about this in the past. Sure, they could check to see if it's on the conforming list, but it appears that they cannot physically test the club once it has been hit.

-Chris

So I remember anyway.

Don't know how either of these could have happened as the Tour can't test a driver once it has been in play. I think Tiger did a full interview about this in the past. Sure, they could check to see if it's on the conforming list, but it appears that they cannot physically test the club once it has been hit.

To quote Col. Potter... "Horse Hockey!"

The USGA and R & A can test any club at any time, anywhere.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

It's on each player to know his or her equipment passes. If any question you can send free of charge to the nJ testing facility to have tested and certified. They send a nice certification letter naming the clubs and the player and the tester and date. . Otherwise it's assumed mainstream oem epuipment that's on the passing list passses . Doesn't become an issue unless someone complains.

/Thread. Pretty much all you need to know on the subject.

-Chris

So I remember anyway.

No.

No.

Hate to say you are wrong twice in a row, but here it is,... USGA Field Test Procedures They don't have these tests unless they are able to test clubs. They can and have tested clubs and there is no stipulation about not being able to do it after a club has been hit. Being on a conforming list or used does not preclude a club from being tested.

The purpose of this publication is to provide guidelines to manufacturers, rules officials and other interested parties in an effort to assist them in interpreting and applying the Rules on golf clubs and balls. The purpose of the "Field Procedures" section is to offer advice on the procedure an official should follow when faced with an equipment ruling immediately before or during a competition.

Field Procedures

GUIDANCE TO RULES OFFICIALS CONCERNING

QUESTIONS ON THE CONFORMITY OF CLUBS AT COMPETITIONS

Introduction

It is the player's responsibility to ensure that his clubs conform with the Rules. If in doubt, he should not carry any questionable club. However, such guidance is not always appropriate, particularly when a question arises during or after a competition, in which case a decision is required. Notes on Terminology Used

• "USGA Decision" is one which already exists in the USGA Equipment Standards database or "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" at the time the question arises, though it may be unknown to the player or official concerned.
  • "USGA Ruling" is one that the USGA Equipment Standards Committee or its authorized sub-Committee may make on the club which is the subject of the inquiry. It is made after the inquiry has been communicated to the appropriate Equipment Standards representative, whether before, during or after the competition.
  • "Duration of Competition Answer" is made by an official involved in running a stroke play competition and has no standing after the competition has closed. The player may use the club for the remainder of the competition. Duration of Competition Answers have no standing beyond the end of the competition and, therefore, the player should be advised to submit the club to the USGA for a formal ruling as soon as possible. The player should also be made aware that any subsequent ruling may be different from the Duration of Competition Answer which was given.
  • "Duration of Round Answer" is usually made by an official involved in running a match-play competition and has no standing after the player has completed that round. Duration of Round Answers have no standing beyond the end of the round and, therefore, the player should be advised to obtain a formal ruling or subsequent Duration of Round Answer from the official prior to the next round. Thereafter, the player should submit the club to the USGA for a formal ruling as soon as possible. The player should also be made aware that any subsequent ruling may be different from the Duration of Round Answer(s) given.

A. Questions Arising Before the Competition Begins

• Officials should always ascertain why the player, fellow-competitor, opponent or third party is questioning the club.
  • A positive ruling should only be given at this stage if the official is absolutely certain he is correct. As a precautionary measure, always refer to the Rules of Golf and this Guide prior to giving the ruling.
  • If the official is not certain of the ruling, and time permits, help and guidance should be sought from the USGA. First, it should be determined whether the club has ever been formally submitted to the USGA for a decision.
  • If a USGA Decision exists, and the official finds out in time, the player should be informed accordingly.
  • If a USGA Decision does not exist, the official should provide the USGA with a detailed description of the club. If time permits and it is feasible, an e-mailed image or faxed drawing should be sent. The USGA will then offer as much guidance as possible based on the information given and, in most cases, offer a recommended ruling.
  • The official should make a ruling on the club based on the guidance given by the USGA. That is, the official should provide a formal ruling that the club is conforming or non-conforming. If the club most likely conforms, the official should provide a Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answer that the player may use the club during the competition or round, but that the player must obtain an official conformance determination prior to using the club in subsequent competitions or rounds played under USGA Rules.
  • If there is a doubt regarding the conformance of the club and the player's starting time is close, the official should advise the player that he shouldn't carry the club until a determination is made and, should the player choose to carry the club, he is subject to penalty in accordance with Rule 4-1 if the club is ultimately deemed to be non-conforming. Any player who ignores an official's guidance and carries a doubtful club would be subject to penalty in the event of a subsequent non-conforming ruling. This would apply whether the competition was closed or not.
  • If the player chooses not to carry the club and it is later confirmed that the club conforms, the official should deliver the club to the player as soon as possible and provide a formal ruling to the player. If it is later determined that the club most likely conforms, the official should deliver the club to the player as soon as possible and provide permission to use the club for the duration of the competition in stroke play (Duration of Competition Answer) or for the duration of the round in match-play (Duration of Round Answer). In either case, the official should not deliver the club to the player during the round if the player started his round with 14 clubs.

B. Questions Arising During Stroke Play Competition

• If the club has already been used, officials should only accept questions between rounds or at the conclusion of play before the competition is closed (but, see Field Procedures, section D below).
  • The official should ascertain why the competitor, fellow-competitor or third party is questioning the club.
  • If the official is absolutely certain of the correct decision, the competitor should be informed (see Field Procedures, A2).
  • If the official is unsure of the ruling, the player should be advised that he will receive either a formal ruling or a Duration of Competition Answer before the close of the competition. The procedure is the same as for a question arising before the competition began (see Field Procedures, A3 - A6).
  • If no Duration of Competition Answer is given and it is later confirmed that the club does not conform, then the competitor should be penalized in accordance with Rule 4-1.

C. Questions Arising During Match-Play Competition

During a match play event, the above procedure may need to be modified.

• If the question arises between rounds, it would be too late for a defeated opponent of the player with a suspect club to make a claim, but a question from him would be grounds for checking the club before the player starts his next round.
  • The procedure would be to consult with the player, opponent and/or third-party and obtain appropriate information similar to stroke play. There may be more urgency in this case as it would be desirable to know whether the club is non-conforming before the player starts his next round, which might be the same day.
  • If a formal ruling is obtained or a Duration of Round Answer is reached, the player should be told as soon as possible. If the decision is that the club does not conform, the official would warn the player that if he carries the club in the next round, he would be subject to penalty in accordance with Rule 4-1.
  • If a player makes a claim during his match that his opponent is carrying a non-conforming club, the official will have to make a ruling under even greater time constraints. Ideally, a ruling should be made before the match is finished. In that event, if there is no clear evidence of non-conformance, the official should almost always err toward ruling the club to conform. However, such a ruling would be considered to be a Duration of Round Answer, and a more formal decision should be made prior to the next round.
  • Thereafter, if the opponent wins, the procedure is the same as for a question arising between rounds (see Field Procedures, C1 and C2).

D. Questions Arising After Competition Closes

Once a competition has closed, there is plenty of time to contact the USGA to find out whether the club conforms and/or to submit the club. If it turns out that the club is non-conforming, the decision of whether to penalize the player depends on whether he knew the club was non-conforming prior to the close of competition (see Rule 34-1). This is a question of fact, but in determining the facts, the Committee may wish to consider other evidence as well as the player's own statement.

Conclusion

The vast majority of golf clubs conform to the Rules. Therefore, equipment conformance questions are rare. However, questions do arise from time to time, and officials need to know how to deal with them. It is important to remember that it is a player's responsibility to play with conforming clubs. He cannot shift this responsibility to the officials. For their part, officials should respond to such questions calmly and with due consideration to all parties involved. Appropriate consultations should be made (i.e., refer to Rules of Golf, this Guide, contact the USGA, etc.). If it is not possible to give a definitive ruling immediately, a Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answer should be given.

In giving Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answers, officials in doubt should err toward deeming clubs to conform. Penalizing a player for carrying or using a club that later turns out to be conforming is a more serious error than allowing use of a club which later turns out to be non-conforming.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

No.

Hate to say you are wrong twice in a row, but here it is,... USGA Field Test Procedures They don't have these tests unless they are able to test clubs. They can and have tested clubs and there is no stipulation about not being able to do it after a club has been hit. Being on a conforming list or used does not preclude a club from being tested.

The purpose of this publication is to provide guidelines to manufacturers, rules officials and other interested parties in an effort to assist them in interpreting and applying the Rules on golf clubs and balls. The purpose of the "Field Procedures" section is to offer advice on the procedure an official should follow when faced with an equipment ruling immediately before or during a competition.

Field Procedures

Introduction

It is the player's responsibility to ensure that his clubs conform with the Rules. If in doubt, he should not carry any questionable club. However, such guidance is not always appropriate, particularly when a question arises during or after a competition, in which case a decision is required. Notes on Terminology Used

• "USGA Decision" is one which already exists in the USGA Equipment Standards database or "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" at the time the question arises, though it may be unknown to the player or official concerned.
  • "USGA Ruling" is one that the USGA Equipment Standards Committee or its authorized sub-Committee may make on the club which is the subject of the inquiry. It is made after the inquiry has been communicated to the appropriate Equipment Standards representative, whether before, during or after the competition.
  • "Duration of Competition Answer" is made by an official involved in running a stroke play competition and has no standing after the competition has closed. The player may use the club for the remainder of the competition. Duration of Competition Answers have no standing beyond the end of the competition and, therefore, the player should be advised to submit the club to the USGA for a formal ruling as soon as possible. The player should also be made aware that any subsequent ruling may be different from the Duration of Competition Answer which was given.
  • "Duration of Round Answer" is usually made by an official involved in running a match-play competition and has no standing after the player has completed that round. Duration of Round Answers have no standing beyond the end of the round and, therefore, the player should be advised to obtain a formal ruling or subsequent Duration of Round Answer from the official prior to the next round. Thereafter, the player should submit the club to the USGA for a formal ruling as soon as possible. The player should also be made aware that any subsequent ruling may be different from the Duration of Round Answer(s) given.

• Officials should always ascertain why the player, fellow-competitor, opponent or third party is questioning the club.
  • A positive ruling should only be given at this stage if the official is absolutely certain he is correct. As a precautionary measure, always refer to the Rules of Golf and this Guide prior to giving the ruling.
  • If the official is not certain of the ruling, and time permits, help and guidance should be sought from the USGA. First, it should be determined whether the club has ever been formally submitted to the USGA for a decision.
  • If a USGA Decision exists, and the official finds out in time, the player should be informed accordingly.
  • If a USGA Decision does not exist, the official should provide the USGA with a detailed description of the club. If time permits and it is feasible, an e-mailed image or faxed drawing should be sent. The USGA will then offer as much guidance as possible based on the information given and, in most cases, offer a recommended ruling.
  • The official should make a ruling on the club based on the guidance given by the USGA. That is, the official should provide a formal ruling that the club is conforming or non-conforming. If the club most likely conforms, the official should provide a Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answer that the player may use the club during the competition or round, but that the player must obtain an official conformance determination prior to using the club in subsequent competitions or rounds played under USGA Rules.
  • If there is a doubt regarding the conformance of the club and the player's starting time is close, the official should advise the player that he shouldn't carry the club until a determination is made and, should the player choose to carry the club, he is subject to penalty in accordance with Rule 4-1 if the club is ultimately deemed to be non-conforming. Any player who ignores an official's guidance and carries a doubtful club would be subject to penalty in the event of a subsequent non-conforming ruling. This would apply whether the competition was closed or not.
  • If the player chooses not to carry the club and it is later confirmed that the club conforms, the official should deliver the club to the player as soon as possible and provide a formal ruling to the player. If it is later determined that the club most likely conforms, the official should deliver the club to the player as soon as possible and provide permission to use the club for the duration of the competition in stroke play (Duration of Competition Answer) or for the duration of the round in match-play (Duration of Round Answer). In either case, the official should not deliver the club to the player during the round if the player started his round with 14 clubs.

• If the club has already been used, officials should only accept questions between rounds or at the conclusion of play before the competition is closed (but, see Field Procedures, section D below).
  • The official should ascertain why the competitor, fellow-competitor or third party is questioning the club.
  • If the official is absolutely certain of the correct decision, the competitor should be informed (see Field Procedures, A2).
  • If the official is unsure of the ruling, the player should be advised that he will receive either a formal ruling or a Duration of Competition Answer before the close of the competition. The procedure is the same as for a question arising before the competition began (see Field Procedures, A3 - A6).
  • If no Duration of Competition Answer is given and it is later confirmed that the club does not conform, then the competitor should be penalized in accordance with Rule 4-1.

• If the question arises between rounds, it would be too late for a defeated opponent of the player with a suspect club to make a claim, but a question from him would be grounds for checking the club before the player starts his next round.
  • The procedure would be to consult with the player, opponent and/or third-party and obtain appropriate information similar to stroke play. There may be more urgency in this case as it would be desirable to know whether the club is non-conforming before the player starts his next round, which might be the same day.
  • If a formal ruling is obtained or a Duration of Round Answer is reached, the player should be told as soon as possible. If the decision is that the club does not conform, the official would warn the player that if he carries the club in the next round, he would be subject to penalty in accordance with Rule 4-1.
  • If a player makes a claim during his match that his opponent is carrying a non-conforming club, the official will have to make a ruling under even greater time constraints. Ideally, a ruling should be made before the match is finished. In that event, if there is no clear evidence of non-conformance, the official should almost always err toward ruling the club to conform. However, such a ruling would be considered to be a Duration of Round Answer, and a more formal decision should be made prior to the next round.
  • Thereafter, if the opponent wins, the procedure is the same as for a question arising between rounds (see Field Procedures, C1 and C2).

Once a competition has closed, there is plenty of time to contact the USGA to find out whether the club conforms and/or to submit the club. If it turns out that the club is non-conforming, the decision of whether to penalize the player depends on whether he knew the club was non-conforming prior to the close of competition (see Rule 34-1). This is a question of fact, but in determining the facts, the Committee may wish to consider other evidence as well as the player's own statement.

Conclusion

The vast majority of golf clubs conform to the Rules. Therefore, equipment conformance questions are rare. However, questions do arise from time to time, and officials need to know how to deal with them. It is important to remember that it is a player's responsibility to play with conforming clubs. He cannot shift this responsibility to the officials. For their part, officials should respond to such questions calmly and with due consideration to all parties involved. Appropriate consultations should be made (i.e., refer to Rules of Golf, this Guide, contact the USGA, etc.). If it is not possible to give a definitive ruling immediately, a Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answer should be given.

In giving Duration of Competition or Duration of Round Answers, officials in doubt should err toward deeming clubs to conform. Penalizing a player for carrying or using a club that later turns out to be conforming is a more serious error than allowing use of a club which later turns out to be non-conforming.

And I hate to tell you you are wrong twice in a row, but here I go: NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with testing clubs, which you claim, can be done anywhere and at any time. Again, no.

No.

Field Procedures

Introduction

Conclusion

And I hate to tell you you are wrong twice in a row, but here I go: NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with testing clubs, which you claim, can be done anywhere and at any time. Again, no.

Wait! What?!

Once a competition has closed, there is plenty of time to contact the USGA to find out whether the club conforms and/or to submit the club.

How could they verify the club conforms, AFTER the close of competition, if they can't test it after it's been hit?

JoeyD12

So you are saying that a player can have a club that is illegal (it might be over the CT - by chance or by other means or it has been altered that makes it illegal) and once that club has been used in play, it can never be tested for legality?

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

No.

Field Procedures

Introduction

Conclusion

This is from an older golfweek article.

"The USGA sold at cost ($4,000) six of the devices to the PGA Tour -- two for the PGA Tour, two for the Champions Tour, one for the Nationwide Tour and one at PGA Tour headquarters.

The USGA also licensed the technology to several manufacturers, so they could replicate the pendulum tester to make sure the clubs were legal."

It's about pendulum devices to test hot drivers. So yes they do have the tech to test whoever, whenever.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

No.

Field Procedures

Introduction

Conclusion

This is from an older golfweek article.

"The USGA sold at cost ($4,000) six of the devices to the PGA Tour -- two for the PGA Tour, two for the Champions Tour, one for the Nationwide Tour and one at PGA Tour headquarters.

The USGA also licensed the technology to several manufacturers, so they could replicate the pendulum tester to make sure the clubs were legal."

It's about pendulum devices to test hot drivers. So yes they do have the tech to test whoever, whenever.

They have 2 machines and they can test whoever, whenever..... No.

I guess you can't argue with that kind of logic.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I don't mind arguing logic. This is just a stupid topic that is essentially "dead by time". The tour decided to implement testing. They tested 2 drivers within the first year. Then they tested..... wait for it..... none. Why? Because it cannot be done with 100% certainty. That is why they won't test a club that's been hit. They don't retain a 3rd party to control calibration at each event. They haven't tested a driver in 11 years. There is probably nothing they are ever going to put out in public that states that they stopped doing the tests. Why? When do you ever remember them coming out and saying that they were wrong?

They received scrutiny for suspicious drivers. They "implemented testing" to satisfy the critics. They then quickly abandoned it as there are entirely way too many variables involved that introduces countless amounts of liability. It is strictly a manufacturing guideline at this point.

Now for logic: please provide me with any type of evidence that suggests that "anywhere, anytime" testing is still in place today.

Isnt the whole reason that the manufacturers do the test for "Tour Issue" clubs is to get the best and hottest clubs to their Tour staff?

Also they make sure they are within the rules.

Could you imagine the headlines if someone won a tournament and it was found a club was illegal.

That club would be worth thousands on the open market....

If a club-head is over COR they probably destroy them but they would be worth a lot as well.

Isnt the whole reason that the manufacturers do the test for "Tour Issue" clubs is to get the best and hottest clubs to their Tour staff?

Could you imagine the headlines if someone won a tournament and it was found a club was illegal.

If a club-head is over COR they probably destroy them but they would be worth a lot as well.

OEM's test clubs to make sure that no Tour player puts a club into play will be illegal. If a player were ever to use a club that was illegal and were to have won a tournament, the public shame and ridicule would likely end his/her career (if it was found that they did it knowingly) as well as bring disrepute to the OEM. The club would be worthless. Case in point, the failed Wilson Triton which when it was deemed illegal made Wilson look like a 3rd rate outfit. Nike found that out too when they were caught with drivers that were "hot" in the retail world. They had not only a lot of crow to eat but ended up buying back most of them and scraping them.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I don't mind arguing logic. This is just a stupid topic that is essentially "dead by time". The tour decided to implement testing. They tested 2 drivers within the first year. Then they tested..... wait for it..... none. Why? Because it cannot be done with 100% certainty. That is why they won't test a club that's been hit. They don't retain a 3rd party to control calibration at each event. They haven't tested a driver in 11 years. There is probably nothing they are ever going to put out in public that states that they stopped doing the tests. Why? When do you ever remember them coming out and saying that they were wrong?

They received scrutiny for suspicious drivers. They "implemented testing" to satisfy the critics. They then quickly abandoned it as there are entirely way too many variables involved that introduces countless amounts of liability. It is strictly a manufacturing guideline at this point.

Now for logic: please provide me with any type of evidence that suggests that "anywhere, anytime" testing is still in place today.

The Tour does not test equipment. The USGA tests equipment. Whether or not the PGA Tour has any equipment isn't the issue and is irrelevant. The USGA does and will test any club that is brought to them to be tested for conformity. Every OEM is well aware that the USGA not only tests the sample clubs provided to them, but also clubs out in the retail market. Whether or not any club has been tested on Tour isn't really a relevant item as every OEM bends over backward to ensure that their players don't use anything that might even remotely be non-conforming.

No player is going to jeopardize their career by putting an illegal club into play. That is the reason there likely hasn't been a club tested from a Tour player in years. Not because of misguided conspiracy theory that once a club has been used it can never be tested. The way you are talking, if a player can get a hot club into play no one can do anything about its illegality because it has been used and they can thumb their nose at the Rules.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

OEM's test clubs to make sure that no Tour player puts a club into play will be illegal. If a player were ever to use a club that was illegal and were to have won a tournament, the public shame and ridicule would likely end his/her career (if it was found that they did it knowingly) as well as bring disrepute to the OEM. The club would be worthless. Case in point, the failed Wilson Triton which when it was deemed illegal made Wilson look like a 3rd rate outfit. Nike found that out too when they were caught with drivers that were "hot" in the retail world. They had not only a lot of crow to eat but ended up buying back most of them and scraping them.

I can't remember which thread it was in, but on here about a month I read about a certain loft of TM M2 driver from last year that the USGA determined was too hot. Or something like that. From what I remember reading the USGA quietly told TM to quit making the driver but let tour players keep using it. There were some people on that thread that seemed to know about it but were very reluctant to share what they knew.

Probably not totally and accurately remembering what I read but that is the gist of it from my recollection. Maybe someone can help "clear" up the story.

JoeyD12

So you are saying that a player can have a club that is illegal (it might be over the CT - by chance or by other means or it has been altered that makes it illegal) and once that club has been used in play, it can never be tested for legality?

I'm not saying that it's the letter of the law, but I'm telling you they are NEVER going to test a club once it has been in play. They haven't for 11 years, and prior to that, they did it twice.