Things that bug me while watching pro golf.

Comments

• LittleLeftToRightLittleLeftToRight Turn that frown upside down! Members Posts: 2,038 ✭✭
    My biggest pet peeve is how much time they spend showing putts. It isn't just the putts either, it is the green reading, stupid reactions, then the camera follows the players walking to the next tee! Do we really need to see someone's derriere as the walk? Nope. Cut to some action. And by action, I mean someone swinging a golf club, not another putt..... I attribute it to abject laziness. People these days do the absolute minimum. I can just see the producer saying, "cut to Day on the green. I am going to go have a smoke..."

I've been getting annoyed lately on how much Spieth is being shown. I know he is a popular guy, but we don't need to see every shot he hits, especially when he barely makes the cut and is so far back on Sunday that he is already home in Texas lounging by his pool before the leaders finish. In the long run, that is bad for golf.

They should only show the people in contention unless someone hits a remarkable shot. And when someone gets into contention, I would like a little vignette on how they did it. Five birdies today? Show them to me. Lots of action in a short time. They used to do that all the time, now they never do.

The reactions of missed putts always cracks me up. "I can't believe that didn't break!" should be translated to "I can't believe the laws of physics didn't bend to my will. Doesn't the universe know who I am?" No the universe doesn't. You fu'ed up. Get over yourself.
  • sgsst18sgsst18 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Johnny Miller and his endless conquest to find a way to bring up his 63 at Oakmont.
  • forembcforembc Members Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Moleman wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the pros play golf, majors as well as the more obscure events on the Euro tour however there are a few things that bug me, here's a couple to get started..

Watching Jim Furyk make a load of shadow swings after he hits a bad shot or putt. Not sure why this annoys me so much but it really does!

Patrick Reeds trousers (pants). Think this is fair enough to be fair.

Yes, those pants image/ok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ok:' />
    Callaway XR16 GD BB
    TM M2 HL Matrix
    TM SLDR 3 Hybrid TP Fuji Motore Speeder
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4
    Mizuno MP-H4 5
    Bridgestone 6-PWJ40 N.S. Pro Modus
    Bridgestone J15 Black Oxide 50/54/58
    SC Golo S(murdered)
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭
    sgsst18 wrote:

Johnny Miller and his endless conquest to find a way to bring up his 63 at Oakmont.

I think you mean Dan Hicks
  • BdaGolferBdaGolfer Members Posts: 546 ✭✭
    The announcer just reading the latest (dull / meaningless) statistic that has been on the screen for the last 30 seconds

Jim Nantz spewing every bit of trivia about everything while pretending it's somehow relevant to current events.
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Members Posts: 902 ✭✭
    Moleman wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the pros play golf, majors as well as the more obscure events on the Euro tour however there are a few things that bug me, here's a couple to get started..

Watching Jim Furyk make a load of shadow swings after he hits a bad shot or putt. Not sure why this annoys me so much but it really does!

Patrick Reeds trousers (pants). Think this is fair enough to be fair.

Daniel Summerhays too tight shirts and pants. Looks like the Pillsbury doughboy.

Jason Days second skin shirts and pants. Too tight but he's saying, "Wow! Look at me, am I buff or what? Maybe they're so tight he can't play well anymore.
  • Cool Hand LukeCool Hand Luke Members Posts: 447 ✭✭
    gary mccord.... brutal
    M2 10.5 Tour; ATMOS Black Tour
    i25 3W; PWR75
    913h; Diamana Blue
    714 CB 3-P; KBS Tour
    sm6 52F, 58M; KBS Wedge S
    scotty del mar
    TP5x
  • golfing_penguingolfing_penguin Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    jonsnow wrote:

The nonstop ED commercials. Beginning to think there must be something wrong with me since my plumbing still seems to work just fine as I close in on 60 next year.

Does this qualify as a humble brag?

Well, yes, if you've got a high swing-speed with it
  • MolemanMoleman Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    Just like to add Jordan Spieths obsessive compulsive towel disorder to the list...
  • PhilfilPhilfil Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    Moleman wrote:

Just like to add Jordan Spieths obsessive compulsive towel disorder to the list...

More like baby blanket.
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭
    Should start a thread titled 'things that bug me while viewing WRX'
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,430 ✭✭
    How about everytime McCord watches DJ (or any long hitter) launch one and starts laughing ... like he didn't expect it or it's the first time he's ever seen a long drive.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • bearcatnutbearcatnut Members Posts: 575 ✭✭
    bermuda wrote:

When announcers say hitting a certain shot or a certain putt takes courage. Hitting a golf ball doesn't require bravery.

It's in relation to the sport. They aren't saying it takes the same kind of bravery to hit a golf shot as it does to run into a burning building saving a stranger. Lighten up.
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,465 ✭✭
    When did the green become the 'putting surface'?

• dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,222 ✭✭
    Baba Booey

Mashed Potatoes

Any drunken knuckle head shouting inane things I can hear.

These people should be arrested, stripped naked and hung upside down on an ant colony.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, HW
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    The three shots and then 6-minute commercial break on every CBS telecast except the Masters.

The basically useless interviews with a big screen TV between the player and the interviewer showing stats or a scorecard that they just told us about.

Showing any putt under 5 feet on an average tour event.

bringing up the volume of the player-caddie conversation and then the announcer talking during the entire thing.

And . . . all the stupid things fans yell just to get heard on TV. Why do it? Everyone watching thinks you are an idiot. If some do, why open your trap and remove all doubt. Just SHUT UP!
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • ClintDaggerClintDagger Members Posts: 576 ✭✭
    Slow play, and players pulling yardage books / green charts out of their back pocket that look thick enough to be War & Peace.
    TM ’16 M2 Tour 8.5* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75g / 6.5
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 80 X
    TM P-790 (2-4 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-760 (5-7 iron) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    TM P-730 (8-PW) TT Dynamic Gold X Seven
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 52* 08-F
    Titleist Vokey SM 5 60* 04-L
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Te I3
  • PhilfilPhilfil Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:

The three shots and then 6-minute commercial break on every CBS telecast except the Masters.

The basically useless interviews with a big screen TV between the player and the interviewer showing stats or a scorecard that they just told us about.

Showing any putt under 5 feet on an average tour event.

bringing up the volume of the player-caddie conversation and then the announcer talking during the entire thing.

And . . . all the stupid things fans yell just to get heard on TV. Why do it? Everyone watching thinks you are an idiot. If some do, why open your trap and remove all doubt. Just SHUT UP!

Yes, except Amanda Balionis is on my like list. And my list of 1 who should be allowed to wear tight shirts. Def not Jason Day...
  • pearsonifiedpearsonified Extreme enthusiast Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭
    Love this topic!

I get a little bummed that the coverage is dominated by the top players in the world (regardless of how they're scoring), but I understand the public wants to see the "best" do their thing. That's not really the problem...

...the problem is when they show other guys (like Cameron Champ in the US Open, for example) for about 30 seconds, and all you get to see is a f*cking putt from 25 feet.

I DON'T WANT TO SEE A F*CKING PUTT. Putting is the same whether you're 9 or 90.

When the coverage checks in on "other" players, I want to see them taking a hack at the **** ball. Let's see their swing, not their friggin putting stroke!
    Callaway Rogue 9.5º •• Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
    TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
    Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 (22º) •• Paderson IMRT KG95-IRT30
    Adams CMB 5-P (27º-46º) •• DG TI S400
    TM MG 50º/9º •• Project X LZ 5.5
    TM MG 54º/11º •• DG Wedge
    TM ATV Grind Tour Spin 60º •• KBS 105 Wedge
    Odyssey Versa 330M BWB 34"

For sale:
    Tour-only Cleveland 588 CB 4-P with PX 6.5

2018 Tournament Index: 2.56 (see results)
    2018 Tournament Anti: 7.76

Current anti-handicap: 4.7
  • JasonicJasonic Gamer Banned Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    Anytime McCord opens his stupid mouth. Azinger is inching close as well.
    2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
    Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Ping Anser OG
    Snell MTB Black
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,356 ✭✭
    Scotty1140 wrote:

Probably the same day they named a soccer field the pitch?

Someone mentioned it already...I don't get too annoyed except for the blessed TW drama..and commercials. I'm always shocked at play of the better swingers...AS tops the list. That futura is awful and obviously does not help...don't like the pencil grip either. I still love the Jack stuff..cuz he is the GOAT.
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
    Scotty1140 wrote:

Right? to me that means some synthetic putting surface you are going to have installed on your back lawn. What if you chip from off the green, is it still a putting surface? What if you putt from the fringe or the fairway, are they now putting surfaces? I'm so confused....

Ping G400
    Ping G 4-U
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    BdaGolfer wrote:

The announcer just reading the latest (dull / meaningless) statistic that has been on the screen for the last 30 seconds

Jim Nantz spewing every bit of trivia about everything while pretending it's somehow relevant to current events.

Jim Nantz reminding us he was room mates with Fred Couples in college.

Ping G400
    Ping G 4-U
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • ThrillhouseThrillhouse EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE! Members Posts: 11,165 ✭✭
    Anyone who says anything like "we hit 6 iron into 12 today".

There's no "we", it's just you, your caddy just lugs the bag and tries to stay sober enough to show up the next morning.

Anyone who says anything like "we hit 6 iron into 12 today".

There's no "we", it's just you, your caddy just lugs the bag and tries to stay sober enough to show up the next morning.

Come on Thrill, if there is one thing YJS has taught us is that there is no "I" in team. And golf is now a team sport, even in non Ryder Cup years.

Ping G400
    Ping G 4-U
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Blade JunkieBlade Junkie ClubWRX Posts: 2,216 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 22, 2017 #58
    Shot tracer as a substitute for decent cameramen who can follow the flight of a ball ...

Shot tracer showing shots curving miles into the rough, cut to footage showing the ball landing on the fairway .... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The absence of any meaningful rough ...
    "Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty"

Harry Vardon (1870-1937)
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,122 ✭✭
    When the announcers state how hard of a shot the player has, when the average golfer can equally and easily pull off the same shot.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,164 ✭✭
    Anything that doesn't involve Amanda Balionis.
    Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,368 ✭✭
    slimeone wrote:

Adam Scott's look of surprise and disbelief every time he misses a 4-footer.

Thought I was the only one tired of that!! Like Adam but come on man.