Golf industry careers

Crushit350

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pga.com

Years ago, me and a friend took a PGA Playablity Test at Brigantine Golf Links near Atlantic City, NJ. It was just on a whim but, as luck would have it, I shot a combo 82/70 for 36 holes in one day to finish 3 shots under the qualifying score and at the tip of the list of qualifiers of whom there were only 4 out of 109 players! I discussed "turning PGA Club Pro" with my wife and she agreed, knowing how much I love the game. Imagine making a living doing something you absolutely love! Boy did that bubble burst with a blast. It did not take very long to learn that I would now be playing a LOT LESS golf than before I got into the industry. Not only that; it also became very obvious that from a PGA CLUB Pro standpoint, the only way to make enough money to make ends meet was to teach the game. As most of you know, an hour lesson with a PGA Pro can cost anywhere from $60 to "thousands" per hour. Seemed like most of the Class A Pros I knew and worked with were getting around $75/hr. back then in the early 90s. As an Assistant at level 2 "in the program" I was charging $60/hr. In short order, I learned that I did not have the patience to teach people who could not or would not make the proper and necessary corrections to their swings in order to hit the ball with any consistency which I would say represent, easily, at least 80% of all who try to play the game. There is only a miniscule percentage willing to sacrifice the time and grueling effort it takes to change your swing and work hard to improve. Even a small change in your grip can be agonizing as we all know. Long story shorter, unless you are willing to play a lot less, don't mind becoming a golf ball and golf clothing inventory clerk, have no problem answering incredibly stupid questions like, "I read that the slope rating on your scorecard is 125. Does that mean that the hills on your course are very steep?", or, "What hole will I be on when it starts to rain?", you might just be better off sticking with your regular day job and enjoy playing as often as you are able in your spare time. We won't even discuss the Summer hours and the Winter layoffs....

I worked for courses and on the retail side of things for a few years. The most enjoyable position I found was working on greenside operations. Nothing beats waking up early and being responsible for helping a course come to life. If you make the plunge into selling equipment make sure you have a regular group that you play with otherwise going to play feels like going to work which gets tiresome.

If anything can go right, it might!

Pga.com

Years ago, me and a friend took a PGA Playablity Test at Brigantine Golf Links near Atlantic City, NJ. It was just on a whim but, as luck would have it, I shot a combo 82/70 for 36 holes in one day to finish 3 shots under the qualifying score and at the tip of the list of qualifiers of whom there were only 4 out of 109 players! I discussed "turning PGA Club Pro" with my wife and she agreed, knowing how much I love the game. Imagine making a living doing something you absolutely love! Boy did that bubble burst with a blast. It did not take very long to learn that I would now be playing a LOT LESS golf than before I got into the industry. Not only that; it also became very obvious that from a PGA CLUB Pro standpoint, the only way to make enough money to make ends meet was to teach the game. As most of you know, an hour lesson with a PGA Pro can cost anywhere from $60 to "thousands" per hour. Seemed like most of the Class A Pros I knew and worked with were getting around $75/hr. back then in the early 90s. As an Assistant at level 2 "in the program" I was charging $60/hr. In short order, I learned that I did not have the patience to teach people who could not or would not make the proper and necessary corrections to their swings in order to hit the ball with any consistency which I would say represent, easily, at least 80% of all who try to play the game. There is only a miniscule percentage willing to sacrifice the time and grueling effort it takes to change your swing and work hard to improve. Even a small change in your grip can be agonizing as we all know. Long story shorter, unless you are willing to play a lot less, don't mind becoming a golf ball and golf clothing inventory clerk, have no problem answering incredibly stupid questions like, "I read that the slope rating on your scorecard is 125. Does that mean that the hills on your course are very steep?", or, "What hole will I be on when it starts to rain?", you might just be better off sticking with your regular day job and enjoy playing as often as you are able in your spare time. We won't even discuss the Summer hours and the Winter layoffs....

Preach it my brother. My last day was when I finished my Level II workbooks, boxed them up to ship off and tossed them in the dumpster instead. Told my HP that if he thought I was going to do this for the rest of my life he was insane. Mad respect for those who are life pga members, it is truly dedication to deal with golfers and members every day.

I have a good friend from HS who went to golf academy, club pro route. He had an awesome gig with a private course in the twin cities. He played significantly less golf and did not make hardly any money on wages. He is now out of the golf business all together. He has met quite a few other friends who were in the golf business but are now out of it for the same reason the guy ^^ said.

Hate to say it - but you'd make more with restaurant career.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Passed the PAT on first try and while I knew it would be difficult, the hardest part is realizing that you won't play a lot of golf and you wont make much money. You have to be in LOVE with the game and willing to put in the time. Most pros I know started before they had kids/married and could have the time to put into it. One is doing very well and teaching for a large resort in the south. No kids, but has been married twice and hes only 33. The others have part time jobs in the winter and live in the Northeast. I taught for a few years for a golf equipment store and I was able to make ends meet year round. Before I took the PAT, I worked at a GG back home and played about the same amount and made a little bit more money. You have to love it and be willing to put in the time and understand that a lot of the people you are teaching have a low attention level to detail and practicing.

Yep. I passed the PAT easily and finished level 1 in record time. Then, I realized that my love of the game as a player was somehow lost by working in the business. Teaching was fun, but I saw the 'writing on the wall' with poor income plentiful and long hours. After three years in the business, I went back to school and do not ever regret that decision. Life is much better these days. :)

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Here's the REAL truth. All that other crap aside, you need to catch a break. Either dumb luck, bad luck, or no luck at all. The coveted Head Pro and sales jobs are few and far between. I worked at an upscale resort, had a BLAST, walked away from the business. It was all good, but I didn't want to hang out at the golf course EVERY day. Good luck if you do it, as others have said, it is not easy.........

Hanging out at the golf course all day because you want to is totally different than hanging out at the golf course all day because you have to.

A head pro can make decent money with some lessons sprinkled in. But as others said, the majority of students are difficult to deal with. Also, you'll have to enjoy giving lessons in the late afternoon and on weekends. Working at the course all day and then giving two or three lessons in the afternoon gets old fast.

The pros I know rarely play golf. the last thing they want to do after being at the course all day dealing with people is to spend 2-4 more hours playing. Sad but true.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Here's the REAL truth. All that other crap aside, you need to catch a break. Either dumb luck, bad luck, or no luck at all. The coveted Head Pro and sales jobs are few and far between.

This is the truth, those choice jobs are few and far between, and once someone gets one they aren't giving it up for anything. There are ways to increase your chances, like being a good college player at Florida or Texas and then getting a met section assistant pro gig, but other than that? Yeah, get really lucky.

This is just the nature of a business with low barriers to entry and a lot of young guys willing to put up with anything for little pay.

Personally I love my job, but I also realize not everyone is in the same situation I am. I am not overworked, and on our staff we are expected to play often and well, so the typical truth of assistant pros hardly playing is not true for me. For me my goal is to be a top 100 fitter, based at a green grass facility. I'm on my way there, but until then I love almost every second of my job.

That being said, I have seen many people get burned out in this business, and it is not for everyone. You'll need to be an expert meteorologist, as people expect you to be able to predict and control the weather.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

To be a club rep would be awesome you have to be able to make a decent living selling Taylor Made, Titleist, callaway or ping I would think plus you get to play with clubs all day.

Reps spend a lot more time doing paperwork and trying to get orders than they do with golf clubs. A lot of 80-100 hour work weeks with very little golf played. We, along with the hard working golf pros that have similar hours and the grounds crew at nearly every golf course, work golf so that you can play golf.

I worked for courses and on the retail side of things for a few years. The most enjoyable position I found was working on greenside operations. Nothing beats waking up early and being responsible for helping a course come to life. If you make the plunge into selling equipment make sure you have a regular group that you play with otherwise going to play feels like going to work which gets tiresome.

Actually I just made that plunge this summer. Was a stay at home dad the last 4 years and with him spending time in preschool the wife and I decided something part time would be ideal. Got a job on the turf crew at one of the nicer courses in the area. Free golf and free range balls along with access to the private short game area and cost + 10% on equipment are all nice perks. But there is something about starting work between 4:30 & 5 in the am and watching the course take shape for the day. Plus learning to drive equipment and what really goes into a course is nuts.

If you want an interesting golf job, think about going to school to become a Super. Hours are long but pay can be decent along with a company truck in many cases and access to free golf at a LOT of courses across the country. Plus, from my understanding you can go watch the Masters for free once you are certified. Oregon State, a local college, has an amazing turf care management program and almost everyone my Super went to school with is either a Super or a Super at MLB/ NFL stadium.

This is one of the most negative threads I have ever seen here. A bunch of Debbie Downers. The Golf industry is what you make of it. Also, If you think you don't have the chance to play golf if you work in the golf industry you are delusional.

So I take it you are in the industry? In what capacity?

I'd rather know all the potential pitfalls of an occupation going in than have everything sugar coated. I think folks here are just being candid.

Sure, it is what you make it, but for many playing golf is no longer desirable after working long hours at the golf course. Sure the opportunity is there, but will you want to play is the question. I've seen several young, avid golfers get into the business and after a year or two they rarely play.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Worked in the golf business for 2 years. Definitely was not enjoyable in the slightest. Plus getting accused of stealing with no evidence whatsoever from a former boss was the last straw. Didn't steal the clubs btw! You can not be in the golf business if your looking to make a lot of money. Definitely got to love the game!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

ive spent my entire life in the golf industry. I do really, really love the game but the past couple years my playing time was cut back and my workload increased and in return I got burnt out pretty quick. This year I've moved my schedule around where I'm teaching more and spending less time in the shop and I'm enjoying what I do. I'm playing more and I'm having more fun.

Bottom line is if you're ambitious enough and have the skills to create a service that is needed you can make a living in the golf industry. It seems the trend in the industry is to brag about how much you're working and how little you're playing but to some extent that's your own fault. We may work long hours but they usually aren't hard hours.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

It seems the trend in the industry is to brag about how much you're working and how little you're playing but to some extent that's your own fault. We may work long hours but they usually aren't hard hours.

This is true. The common comment is "I don't have time to play", but if you really like to play you can. I have buddies who work in the shop who get out and play 18 5 days a week by going out at first light at 6:30 and flying around the course before their shift. I also have buddies who work in the shop who never play, but the real reason isn't time, it's that after a ten hour shift at the golf course the last thing they want to do is go out for a twilight 18, or drag themselves out of bed early the next morning, just to spend even more time at the golf course. They want to get away from it in their free time, which is fair, I want to get away from what I do too.

Since I'm being Mr. Irony this week, here's another example. Pros and people in the golf business don't play much because of no time or motivation, so it should be no surprise that the game is stagnent. If people who got into the industry because they loved golf don't play, there's not much hope for a resurrection of recreational golf participation.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Take a pass on golf for a career, and keep it a hobby. Otherwise you'll be cleaning the carts or taking out the trash when the kid doesn't show up. Or, as a rep you'll have hours and hours of windshield time only to get to a club and find out it's raining and your demo day is a disaster.

There are so many other more rewarding career paths to choose from removed from golf.

This is what happens when you ask a bunch of Americans on the internet if they like their jobs. LOL

Bobby Jones never went pro because the root meaning of the word "Amateur" is "someone who loves what they do". So I agree to be careful about making golf your job because you are starry-eyed about the game.

That said, if your employer is paying for your golf or offering it free of charge, you don't even need to make that much extra money because your main expensive hobby is paid for. And if you can stay motivated in the job, there's no reason not to have a golfer in a golf job.

Of course, if you want a job where you can play golf ALL THE TIME and hardly ever have work interfere with your golf game, run for congress.

Do you want to turn your hobby into the dreaded four letter word "work". In the last 5 years our club has tried to get an assistant. But the reality of standing alone in the shop on a wet day, dealing with moronic questions, changing grips and cleats and selling sweets and drinks is not glamorous and pays awful money. Two trainees lasted a few weeks. The other tried for a bit longer but in the end quit the job and packed in the game as well. We now have 2 amateur sales assistants on the minimum wage who rely on benefits to top up their meagre wages.

After reading the article of the golf equipment rep it sounds awesome are there any golf industry specific career sites?

my friend setup a golf course review site. this year he will play 150 different courses in 30 countries and the vast majority of it is comped, including a room, food and drinks and usually playing with the club pros or manager. the rest is covered by advertisement on the site. the amount of free s*** he gets is ridiculous. somehow, he's finagled his way into some private clubs to rate them, too, as a form of recruitment for them, particularly for 'overseas' members who pay a smaller amount for less access. anyway, you won't get rich doing this but talk about one happy s.o.b.