Titleist 718 AP2 and AP3 Irons: Shot at the 2017 Quicken Loans National

Comments

• OakStrongOakStrong Members Posts: 64
    I'll take a 2 t-mb, 3 ap1, 4-5 ap3, 6-7 ap2, 8-9 cb and P mb, simple right?
  • Peanut191Peanut191 Members Posts: 1,865 ✭✭
    The new AP2 looks good at address. The AP3 looks like it hides the back cavity pretty well. Or at least from the angle of these address pics, it looks like they hide it pretty well. Not sure what's going on with this new AP3 lineup, but it looks like it could be a good long iron replacement for those that have trouble with the AP2 long irons.
    M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
    M2 Tour 16.5, Diamana Thump 85s
    Titleist 913 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
    Srixon 745 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 115s
    Callaway Razr Forged GW 51
    Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey 60M
    Scotty Newport 1.5
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    From the biggest Titleist hater in the forum wow they really nailed the look at address with that AP2. It looks like the P770 or 750 when they were still the "Protos" with a beveled top line but then they made the retail ones have a square top line which put me off them.
  • foggedzfoggedz Members Posts: 209
    I like the new AP2's. First AP2's since the 712's that I have liked the look of.
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 831 ✭✭
    Ap3 look much better than I first thought based on poulters pics. Very cool. Ap2's almost look smaller than the prior years. Prob just in relation to the ap3
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • SGM2023SGM2023 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I'm on my 3rd set of AP2 and cycle a new set in every 4 years due to face/grove wear. I had the original AP2, 710 AP2 3-PW, and currently playing 714 AP2 with 6.0 Pxi. When I ordered my 714 4 years ago, I went with the 714 4,5 AP1 because I wanted the option to hit it higher to hold more greens. There was such a vast difference in offset and appearance standing over the ball, I was never able to hit the 4,5 like I used to with my 710 AP2. I quickly ordered a new 714 AP2 matching 5 iron and kept the 4 AP1. I think the AP3 will solve the problem I had with the vast difference from the AP1 to AP2. I'm excited about these and will be perfect timing for my 4 year cycle.
    Titleist 913 D2 9.5*
    Titleist 910f-d 15*
    Titleist 910h 19*
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Project X PXI 6.0
    Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50*, 54*, 58*
  • gmangolfgmangolf Members Posts: 1,576 ✭✭
    AP2 looks killer.
  • vmanvman Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    If AP3 comes between AP1 and AP2 shouldn't it have been AP1.5. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 9*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    CALLAWAY 815 HYBRID 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD FORGED 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TRIFORCE 2
  • AP2 712AP2 712 Members Posts: 5,509
    Love at first sight
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    DTown3011 wrote:

Ap2 looks great. Still confused how AP3 fits in lineup.

+1. I don't get it.
    TS3/9.5/Rogue 130 Silver 60
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    MP-18 Fli Hi 3/Tour AD 95
    MP-18 4-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Newport 2 Tour Custom
    Pro V1
  • proroboprorobo Members Posts: 3,208 ✭✭
    Welp, will need to pick up a set of these AP2s. I blame WRX.
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Golf Pro - Wisconsin Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    The AP3 looks like the Ping i200s
    Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
    Titleist 915fD 3 Diamana White 80-TX
    Titleist TS2 5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8TX
    TItleist AP2 718 4-6 DG X100
    Titleist 718 MBs 7-9 DG X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7s 46F DG x100, 50F, 56S, 60M DG S400
    SIK Pro-C Arm Lock 40"
  • calogecaloge Members Posts: 449 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2017 #44
    Bdmac79 wrote:

DTown3011 wrote:

Ap2 looks great. Still confused how AP3 fits in lineup.

+1. I don't get it.

from its shape I would say its similar to the i200/Apex. Whats not to get? there are players who want less offset, and a thinner top line and sole than an AP1 type iron, but dont want to go the whole way to the AP2. A lot of brands have a midway club. Seems like a no brainer particularly if its forged. I am willing to bet it will sell better than both Ap1 and Ap2 if prices arent too epic.
  • ArpeggiArpeggi Members Posts: 3,686
    Ap3 not forged?

vman wrote:

If AP3 comes between AP1 and AP2 shouldn't it have been AP1.5. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

The forgiveness of AP1 plus the Players iron look of the AP2. 1+2 = 3
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
    Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 009[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5x[/font]
  • gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭
    I think the AP3 is for a player exactly like me.

Mid 50's, so swinging slower, fluctuate between a 3-6 handicap, playing AP1's now but, wants to look at something slimmer yet still has more forgiveness than the AP2.
    Cobra King LTD, Diamana Redboard stiff flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Diamana Tensei Blue regular flex
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular flex 
    Titleist AP1, 5-PW, Dynalite XP R300
    Vokey SM7 52F
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Cleveland 588RTG 60
    Odyssey #2
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,245 ✭✭
    vman wrote:

LOL, indeed.

When Titleist started the AP line they obviously didn't envision they could make another iron head for a market that doesn't exist, but now they do image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

It's no different to what BMW, Audi have done in the automotive industry really. They created a model that no one was really asking for, but because of the marque people will buy it.

The only question is, are they really taking market share away from the competition or just selling a slight variation to an existing model to a customer who would have gone with one of those other options anyways, if the new one didn't exist.
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭
    The only question that really matters..........Will Jordan Spieth upgrade to these from his 716?

Jordan Spieth WITB:

Irons:Titleist 716 T-MB (4),Titleist 716 AP2 (5-9)

Shafts: True Temper Project X 6.5

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 9.0* (9.0), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13
    (14.0), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 17
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19
    (20.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50
    Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

• CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 831 ✭✭
    We get it. Some of you think the name of the ap3 is stupid, does not make since and that it should be called something else.

The ap3 fits between the Ap2 and ap1.

When you are in charge of marketing, R and D and naming clubs at Acushnet/Titleist you can name them whatever you want.
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    CCTxGolf wrote:

We get it. Some of you think the name of the ap3 is stupid, does not make since and that it should be called something else.

The ap3 fits between the Ap2 and ap1.

When you are in charge of marketing, R and D and naming clubs at Acushnet/Titleist you can name them whatever you want.

Getting worked about the naming of the AP3s is a tempest in a teapot.

I'm a Mizuno iron fan. Yet if folks want to complain about how a manufacturer names their irons, Mizuno is an easier target than Titleist.
  • soflasofla Members Posts: 1,662 ✭✭

are the AP3 forged ?

does not say forged on the club
    Ping G410 LST
    Ping G410 14.5
    Exotics CB5 18
    Srixon H85 22
    Srixon 585 5-7, 785 8-aw
    Callaway MD3 54 & PM Grind '19 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 38
  • PompsPomps Members Posts: 892 ✭✭
    I know my vision isn't perfect, but do these Ap2 look less offset? If so, these will be in my bag day one!
    TaylorMade M3 440 9.0* - Kuro Kage Dual Core 60TX 44.25" (D4)
    Titleist 915f 15* - Diamana Ltd D+ 80x 43" (D4)
    TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
    Titleist 915HD 20.5* - Project X Hzrdus Black 85g 6.0 (D4)
    Mizuno M18 4-7 SC, 8-p MB - KBS C-Taper 125 S+1.5* Flat (D4)
    Vokey SM6 51* (D5; 2.5* flat); Vokey TVD V-Grind 55* (D5; 2.5* flat) & Vokey TVD M-Grind 59* (D5; 2* flat ) - DG Tour Issue s400
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Diamond 33.5"
  • wunderbaumwunderbaum Members Posts: 16
    Straight leading edge is kinda of a no for me. Are they making the new AP2 more better player club/less forgiving, to make room for the AP3.

That would be a mistake. AP2 now is the perfect mix, excellent forgiveness and still a very valid club for pros who we like to follow.
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    Arpeggi wrote:

Ap3 not forged?

vman wrote:

The forgiveness of AP1 plus the Players iron look of the AP2. 1+2 = 3

But that's also what the TMB is for lol
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,914 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:

vman wrote:

LOL, indeed.

When Titleist started the AP line they obviously didn't envision they could make another iron head for a market that doesn't exist, but now they do image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

It's no different to what BMW, Audi have done in the automotive industry really. They created a model that no one was really asking for, but because of the marque people will buy it.

The only question is, are they really taking market share away from the competition or just selling a slight variation to an existing model to a customer who would have gone with one of those other options anyways, if the new one didn't exist.

I think a number have been asking for something like this, in different forms. It just may not be something that you've wanted.

Just about every SGI line, be it G series, AP1, or Cally's X series has some people that would like something with a thinner top line and less offset, but not quite an I series/AP2/X Pro, respectively.

Of course we don't know if this club is meant to be a distance monster type of club or now, so we'll have to wait for the full story. Given its styled differently there is probably something different about it than just an AP1/AP2 tweener.
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,245 ✭✭
    edited Jun 26, 2017 #56
    BlkNGld wrote:

duffer987 wrote:

vman wrote:

LOL, indeed.

I think a number have been asking for something like this, in different forms. It just may not be something that you've wanted.

Just about every SGI line, be it G series, AP1, or Cally's X series has some people that would like something with a thinner top line and less offset, but not quite an I series/AP2/X Pro, respectively.

Of course we don't know if this club is meant to be a distance monster type of club or now, so we'll have to wait for the full story. Given its styled differently there is probably something different about it than just an AP1/AP2 tweener.

IDK - I don't think the AP1 is an SGI in the vein of the G series or an M1, but that next notch down like Cally's regular Apex. That said, I've not had a good look at them recently.

If you believe the Titleist marketing they've made the AP2 as 'forgiving' as the previous models incarnation of the AP1 - I know they explicitly stated that with the 714, don't know about subsequent ones. So if an AP2 is as forgiving as a previous AP1, then why does anyone need an AP3? Unless they just want a non-forged marginally bigger/smaller clubhead?

Cynical me, just sees it as a way for Titleist to further bump up the price of the AP2, while slotting the AP3 into the old AP2's price point.
  • IANativeIANative Members Posts: 300
    rsh0308 wrote:
    I still don't get where the T-MB fits in either... Between the AP2 and the CB? I've seen T-MB long irons combo'ed with AP2, CB, and MB but I didn't find them any better than the AP2.

I'm not quite sure, either, although I've interpreted some comments as the T-MB would fall somewhere btwn the AP2 and (now) AP3. Would be nice to have that cleared up for those of us not so much in the know...
    Non-compensated Titleist staffer
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,802 ✭✭
    Another solid looking offering by Titleist.
  • gbacakgbacak Members Posts: 15
    I'm an AP2 player myself, I still like the look of the 714 the most of any of the sets they've released since they started the AP line. I thought the 716s were ugly as **** and I guess these 718s are very similar but the color scheme makes it look way better. Still gaming the 714, cant wait to get these in 2 years!
  • 4Par4Par Members Posts: 784 ✭✭
    gdb99 wrote:

I think the AP3 is for a player exactly like me.

Mid 50's, so swinging slower, fluctuate between a 3-6 handicap, playing AP1's now but, wants to look at something slimmer yet still has more forgiveness than the AP2.

And me!

I'm still with the 755's.... and hoping you're right!! I haven't wanted to go to the lofts of the AP1 and the AP2 didn't seem any more forgiving to me than the 755's honestly..... so the AP3 might fill my need as well!

Don't understand all the "I'm confused" comments..... who cares what Titleist determines to be their product line?
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    Ap2 and ap3 looking amazing!
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.