Pros' Irons

BeerPerHole

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lofts are stronger than they were in thepast but those clubs are available to everyone. Back in the day just about everyone had 2 or 3 iron through PW, then SW. Now everyone has 3 or 4 iron through PW, GW, SW, LW. It's basically the same clubs with different numbers/letters on the bottom, a 37 degree iron is 37 degrees whether it has a 9 or a 7 on the bottom.

I remember when I first started taking lessons my instructor mentioned that the pros played souped up irons - strong lofts, longer. Is that true? I always marvel to hear, "He's 223 out, hitting a 9 iron." WHAT!!!???

Lofts not so much. Shafts, especially in the woods, yes.

Their clubs are for the most part custom made for the player ie custom grinds, weighting (there's a story about Fowler I think and how his wedges are cut and filled with tungsten plugs to change the feel of the club), etc. But all and all the great swings pros have come first and the "souping" up of the clubs comes after. Basically they're not hitting 190 yd 9 irons because of the 9 iron. They could probably do it with a set of spaldings if push came to shove.

I remember when I first started taking lessons my instructor mentioned that the pros played souped up irons - strong lofts, longer. Is that true? I always marvel to hear, "He's 223 out, hitting a 9 iron." WHAT!!!???

Your instructor sounds like the type of guy that says he is "on staff" with a manufacturer because they allow him to buy things at PUD.

No one is hitting 9 iron 223

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Another thing to consider is what announcers don't always say regarding carry distance. If they don't mention that 223 is a back pin, and they are trying to carry it 190, but it's out of fluffy rough and a touch downbreeze, they might very well hit 9. So they didn't hit a 223 9 iron, they hit a 160 yd carry with 10yds of breeze and 20yds of flyer, land it on the front and let it bumble back there.

I thought it was interesting Phil's Feherty episode when he explained the different shots he hit off his "stock 9" which was 145.

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

All of these kids have grown up with 7I's that are less than 33*, stock/std used to be 36* at best(strongest). Most of the clubs I played with during the first 20 years 7I was between 36*-37*. The public consumer wanted the "yeah, I hit my & around 150" to be true, so the club designers made it happen. most people who've started playing in the past decade have no experience with anything other than these "jacked up lofts" Prgoression of life, just the way it is.

Another thing to consider is what announcers don't always say regarding carry distance. If they don't mention that 223 is a back pin, and they are trying to carry it 190, but it's out of fluffy rough and a touch downbreeze, they might very well hit 9. So they didn't hit a 223 9 iron, they hit a 160 yd carry with 10yds of breeze and 20yds of flyer, land it on the front and let it bumble back there.

I thought it was interesting Phil's Feherty episode when he explained the different shots he hit off his "stock 9" which was 145.

Funny thing is Phil says his stock 9 is 145 and a lot of ams puff out their chests and say they are longer. Phil also averages 286+ carry off the tee. Not many of the puffed chest ams can say the same.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

^^ Fo sho, sounds like most of us ams need to swing more controlled repeatable distances with irons and then beef up like Phil off the tee.

Paradym 💎 💎 💎 10.5* AD VR 6tx

TSR 3 16.5* AD VR 7tx

TSR 2 21* AD IZ 7s

T100 4-5 Project X LZ

680MB 6-P Project X LZ

MG3 54 and 60

C&L CL2

All of these kids have grown up with 7I's that are less than 33*, stock/std used to be 36* at best(strongest). Most of the clubs I played with during the first 20 years 7I was between 36*-37*. The public consumer wanted the "yeah, I hit my & around 150" to be true, so the club designers made it happen. most people who've started playing in the past decade have no experience with anything other than these "jacked up lofts" Prgoression of life, just the way it is.

Had this talk with somebody the other day when they were asking how far I hit whatever club and him comparing that he hit whatever his club one down (his 8 to my 7 type thing). When i pointed out the fact that my club may actually have the same loft as his, him trying to disprove me began, and then when we found out they were essentially the same the discussion of "why" came about. I told him that what just happened is exactly why, you feel like you hit clubs farther.

I also play a 35* 7 iron, which i think is 1 strong from my old set of 680 MBs but I totally understand what you're saying given the clubs I grew up playing were about 3 weak across the board of my current specs.

Probably all "Tour lofted" which is 1 or 2 degrees stronger than normal, but bear in mind that Pros typically massively de-loft at impact, plus lead with the hands, which effectively turns say a 6-iron loft into a 3-iron loft at the point of impact.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Probably all "Tour lofted" which is 1 or 2 degrees stronger than normal, but bear in mind that Pros typically massively de-loft at impact, plus lead with the hands, which effectively turns say a 6-iron loft into a 3-iron loft at the point of impact.

But what is "normal" Standard lofts have changed over the years due to the ball launching differently due to the weighting of cavity backed clubs. Interesting that pros deloft that much... sure doesn't look like it when you watch them hit balls on the range. But I'm sure your source of information is more accurate than my eyes ;) Some guys deloft... Charles Howell being a prime example, he hits worm burners with every club basically. Ollie Schniderjans (sorry for poor spelling on that one) is another.

Number on the club does not matter. The loft does.

Interesting though above says pro's deloft so much they turn a 6 into a 3... My pro says it's more like a 6 into a 5 (about 4 degrees of delofting is normal), but I'm sure it varies a bit. I brought this up because looking at my FA video I was concerned that my hands were not out in front of me enough. He had I probably had 1 or 2 degrees of deloft, but to not worry about that and to just worry about a solid center hit. Probably good advice.

It is very much the irons. They are stronger and LONGER in shaft length.

It is also the ball, and how launch angle/spin rate affects it compared to the old, soft spinny balatas.

It was unheard of on the PGA tour to hit 8 irons 170 back in the 80s. It is relatively normal now.

But another thing that leads to inflated distances (or the perception thereof) is the lack of transparency from

the commentators on TV. They don't often mention downwind, downhill holes (that 190 yd 8 iron on the par 3 was just

as stock 160yd 8 iron downwind/downhill). They sure don't mention the ridiculous downhill kick and rollout that

Koepka's 3wd got on the final hole of the open.

On tour, long hitters hit their 8 iron on avg about 160/165. That's about 10 yds longer than in the 80s. 2* and 1/2" on the shaft easily explains that.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Y'all can have as much distance as you want out of your irons. I've set up my game to have easily repeatable distances. Last Sunday I played the first round in 15 years with my 61 year old Dad (with him, I go golfing all the time. He gave up the game for a long time but decided he wanted to go with us). He was hitting the same iron into greens as I was. Most local courses have very few 450+ yard par 4's. In fact most of the 4's are drive and wedge or even chip. Most par 3's are in the 120-170 range. I've adapted my game for this type of course and will readily admit that I leave a ton of distance on the table. I only hit PW 100, 9i 115, 8i 130, 7i 150, 6i 165, 5i 180, 4i 190, and 3i 210. Obviously the further down I get the greater the distance dispersion is. Don't get me wrong I'm not short, I just choose to have an easy and repeatable swing. I can get quite a bit more out of each club but there really is no need. I also hit the ball a mile in the air, even with long irons. My normal shot shape is either straight or a slight fade with irons so I'm impacted big time by wind. If there was one thing I could change about my game it would be this. I can hit it low and hit a draw when I want but I lose a ton of control.

Around here there's no reason to hit a 200 yard nine iron. I'll grant that if I regularly played 7500 yard courses I'd rethink the way I play irons.

I use my 3i off the tee quite a bit since I can generally hit it very straight. When doing so it's a total different swing than hitting it into a green and thus the distance goes up. I can also step on any of my irons when the occasion calls for. For the most part though I'm perfectly happy to hit them the distances that I do. My dad was shocked that I was hitting the same club that he was on short par 3's since I outdrove him by 100 yards a few times. Truthfully though only his 7-8i up went the same distance. I doubt he'd get much more than 180 out of his 3i, swinging out of his shoes.

Most pros play with irons made out of ore mined on the moon. The low gravity ore allows for the ball to fly further and spin anti-clockwise. Tour balls actually have a core of lead, otherwise they would never come down. FACT

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag