2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rolex Series Summer 2017 (French, Irish, Scottish Open)

babyfade

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite surprised how average the French Open field is given the Ryder Cup next year, would be a great time for guys to go learn the course and get comfortable.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I'm quite surprised how average the French Open field is given the Ryder Cup next year, would be a great time for guys to go learn the course and get comfortable.

I suppose not many are willing to play 4 weeks in a row, the two ahead are links so that makes a difference. Will be interesting to see how Rahm gets on in Europe now.

I thought the French Open is meant to be one of the top tier events for the Euro tour. I wonder why not many big names are playing.

I think its just as mentioned above, not everyone wants to play 4 in a row, but 3 in a row is more manageable. Plus playing the Irish and Scottish makes sense, getting a feel for links golf for 3 weeks, hoping they can play into the Open.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Irish has rose, rahm, hideki, lowrey, harrington, Westwood, beef, cabrerra bello rory poulter and pieters confirmed. Lot of big names Mcilroy has really saved this tournament from obscurity in the last few years. On a great course as well should be a really top tournament.

Scottish has Rory, Fowler, Stenson, Noren, Adam Scott, Knox, Kuchar, Reed, Grace, Dufner, Grillo, Beef, Donald, Rafa.

Nice!

The only guy I never see in europe is Sergio Garcia... maybe he is going to play Italian/Spanish and then the playoffs.

Irish has rose, rahm, hideki, lowrey, harrington, Westwood, beef, cabrerra bello rory poulter and pieters confirmed. Lot of big names Mcilroy has really saved this tournament from obscurity in the last few years. On a great course as well should be a really top tournament.

Scottish has Rory, Fowler, Stenson, Noren, Adam Scott, Knox, Kuchar, Reed, Grace, Dufner, Grillo, Beef, Donald, Rafa.

Nice!

The only guy I never see in europe is Sergio Garcia... maybe he is going to play Italian/Spanish and then the playoffs.

He played last week but thought he might play the Irish Open with him being at good friends with Rory.

Surprised there seems to be no Mickelson in Scotland this year. I felt that part of the reason why Stenson and Mickelson were so sharp last year was that they played links golf the week before.

Willett is in the French Open, isn't he? I hope he makes the cut. After all he's the one that made me try tht 1W and it works wonder for me.

So the OP doesn't think the 2016 Masters champ is noteable?

Noteable = Players that play PGA Tour regularly and come over for this event. Maybe I should have explained that.

In my mind Willett is a ET Player until he has success at the PGA Tour.

Willett is in the French Open, isn't he? I hope he makes the cut. After all he's the one that made me try tht 1W and it works wonder for me.

Noteable = Players that play PGA Tour regularly and come over for this event. Maybe I should have explained that.

Is winning the masters not considered success these days?

WITB

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

One tournament. That's all he's done. Look at his results since then.

Like kg92lefti said, no results since then. And winning the masters makes him a successfull ET player, but not a successful PGA-Tour player who is noteable when playing in Europe.

But I really forgot a guy: Russel Knox is playing this week.

And more noteable than Willett are Molinari, Fleetwood, Wiesberger, Hatton, Westwood and Fitzpatrick... who all had better results recently in the US. But I nevertheless expect them to play an event like that in Europe.

This is kind of a two-edged sword. You do want to have a high quality in your starting fields, but there is nothing more boring than an occasional celeb showing up at a kind of minor event. We have seen this too much in the Scandinavian Euro tour tournaments over the years. Stadler the Walrus would turn up at the SEO during the 80's since he was a friend of Sven Tumba(the commissioner for the tournament, once the best hockey player in the word), Brothers Finau was brought in to bomb 350 meter drives, and DJ looked kind of lost in the interviews at Bro Hof, north of Stockholm. If Tiger had been brought here during the Elin years, the hullaballo would have reached astronomical levels, golf totally forgotten.

What you want is all the guys you expect to show up, to show up. The guys you're missing at French is not all that many, really. A DJ, a Spieth or a Reed would just be some kind of freak celebs. You could expect Rory, Stenrik and Sergio to show up, but they rarely do, at the French. But it is of course a bonus if they do, you would maybe expect that one of them would have jumped in. Rahm is an Attraction, European but a rare bird here, even speaks better american than a Scandinavian.

Otherwise, most of the better guys you could expect are taking part, Kaymer, Fleetwood, Alex, Hatton, Wiesberger, Beef, Fitz, Westy, Pieters, Sullivan... and not least Levy. That guy really swings his a** off.

You would have liked maybe to see one or two more of the top European guys mentioned, and maybe some of the celeb South Africans, and why not Adam Scott? But I think the field is exciting enough for a top European tour tournament.

The French is not the Scottish. Not as big and not the week before the Open. But I really like it, with the field and Le Golf National. Super venue for a tournament, well worthy of an RC. Reminds me a little of ... the PGA National. The venue for Honda. A lot of watery graves down the stretches.

Like kg92lefti said, no results since then. And winning the masters makes him a successfull ET player, but not a successful PGA-Tour player who is noteable when playing in Europe.

But I really forgot a guy: Russel Knox is playing this week.

And more noteable than Willett are Molinari, Fleetwood, Wiesberger, Hatton, Westwood and Fitzpatrick... who all had better results recently in the US. But I nevertheless expect them to play an event like that in Europe.

He is still a notable player though. He has 5 wins on tour, Matt Fitzpatrick only has 3 wins on tour but is more notable? Not a chance, a masters winner is more notable. Hatton has one 1 on tour, Fleetwood 2, Molinari (assuming you meant Francesco) only has 4 wins. Westwood is the only more notable player out of the ones you mentioned. So to class all these guys more notable I think is wrong, form on the PGA tour is not the be all and end all. Before these guys played well on the PGA tour they had bad spells, just like every play does. Willett will be back up there soon again.

WITB

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

This is kind of a two-edged sword. You do want to have a high quality in your starting fields, but there is nothing more boring than an occasional celeb showing up at a kind of minor event. We have seen this too much in the Scandinavian Euro tour tournaments over the years. Stadler the Walrus would turn up at the SEO during the 80's since he was a friend of Sven Tumba(the commissioner for the tournament, once the best hockey player in the word), Brothers Finau was brought in to bomb 350 meter drives, and DJ looked kind of lost in the interviews at Bro Hof, north of Stockholm. If Tiger had been brought here during the Elin years, the hullaballo would have reached astronomical levels, golf totally forgotten.

What you want is all the guys you expect to show up, to show up. The guys you're missing at French is not all that many, really. A DJ, a Spieth or a Reed would just be some kind of freak celebs. You could expect Rory, Stenrik and Sergio to show up, but they rarely do, at the French. But it is of course a bonus if they do, you would maybe expect that one of them would have jumped in. Rahm is an Attraction, European but a rare bird here, even speaks better american than a Scandinavian.

imo there is nothing wrong with a few american or worldwide stars playing in an et tournament... makes it more attractive for me to go there and watch them over a few days.

last year i was at the challenge tour event in switzerland and it was great to see some amazing golf shots... but after a day it was enough for me, because I didn't know any of the players.

i was also at last years scottish and THE open and could have stayed there the whole week. at the open to can see all of them. (but big crowds on championship days) at the scottish you can see a few of them (but better, because lesser crowds). nothing beats following mickelson for 18 holes in the morning and being able to see all shots from close range. the experience gets even better, when you have a few scottish golf fanatics next to you that know the course like the back of their hands.

anyway: maybe I am too young, but a big part of my golfing world is the stardom. we admire our stars much more than people do in other sports... our legends go back to the early 1900s... it's a big part of our sports. sure there is nothing better hearig the sweet spot of a perfect iron shot.. but if the shot is made by a player you admire, thats even more fulfilling.

sry for my english...

Otherwise, most of the better guys you could expect are taking part, Kaymer, Fleetwood, Alex, Hatton, Wiesberger, Beef, Fitz, Westy, Pieters, Sullivan... and not least Levy. That guy really swings his a** off.

You would have liked maybe to see one or two more of the top European guys mentioned, and maybe some of the celeb South Africans, and why not Adam Scott? But I think the field is exciting enough for a top European tour tournament.

The French is not the Scottish. Not as big and not the week before the Open. But I really like it, with the field and Le Golf National. Super venue for a tournament, well worthy of an RC. Reminds me a little of ... the PGA National. The venue for Honda. A lot of watery graves down the stretches.

I remember Calcavecchia playing in an Italian Open because he had to get married in Bellagio during these days :D

imo there is nothing wrong with a few american or worldwide stars playing in an et tournament... makes it more attractive for me to go there and watch them over a few days.

last year i was at the challenge tour event in switzerland and it was great to see some amazing golf shots... but after a day it was enough for me, because I didn't know any of the players.

i was also at last years scottish and THE open and could have stayed there the whole week. at the open to can see all of them. (but big crowds on championship days) at the scottish you can see a few of them (but better, because lesser crowds). nothing beats following mickelson for 18 holes in the morning and being able to see all shots from close range. the experience gets even better, when you have a few scottish golf fanatics next to you that know the course like the back of their hands.

anyway: maybe I am too young, but a big part of my golfing world is the stardom. we admire our stars much more than people do in other sports... our legends go back to the early 1900s... it's a big part of our sports. sure there is nothing better hearig the sweet spot of a perfect iron shot.. but if the shot is made by a player you admire, thats even more fulfilling.

sry for my english...

No problems with your english(as far as a Scandinavian can say), but golf, also as a sport, is definitely bigger than the stars, even though sponsors work hard to create celeb admiration. I have seen numerous ET events over the years, and OK, it's kind of sexy to see Seve on the range hitting 180 meter iron shots standing on one foot, but the real excitement is the results and the competition. And the course. OK, you're not happy if all the guys down the stretch on sunday are like nobodies, but if Fleetwood, Wiesberger, Alex or one or two like that is in the mix when things heats up on sunday, I'm fine. For the competition, a Reed or a Snedeker really do not add much on a tournament like french. I'm talking kind of general here as to watching on TV or following live.

To get the best experience irl is to follow a pairing around the course. Of course, players you know an appreciate. And it's not really the celebs that are most funny to watch. They will walk around looking like they own the place.

If Fleetwood, Wiesberger and Noren are in the mix thats definitely exciting for me. Pure talent. I followed Wiesberger a round at Wentworth... what a striker of the ball and he can go so low when he is on!!

I know what your are saying. In the end it's the sport that writes the stories and the history. totally agree with that. but I mean when Sergio won the masters: I had tears in my eyes...

Willlett missed the cut... quite notable!

Looks like Hatton and Fitzpatrick did too.... also very notable.

WITB

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5