2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade r7 425 & r7 425 TP

TaylorMade Golf Company has introduced the r7 425, a new addition to the r7 family of drivers that includes the original r7 quad, the r7 quad TP and the r7 quad ht. Like those drivers, the 425 employs TaylorMade's revolutionary Movable Weight technology.

The r7 425 features 28 grams of movable weight divided between four widely spaced TaylorMade Launch Control (TLC) ports, allowing for a lateral shift in CG position of up to 5 millimeters. Robot testing indicates that the 425 delivers a lateral trajectory change of up to 13 yards when the TLC cartridges are configured to promote the maximum amount of either draw or fade. Likewise, players can configure the TLC cartridges to increase or decrease their spin-rate to promote changes in the height of their tee shots, either higher or lower. After a trajectory is chosen, the 425 makes it easier to achieve that trajectory over and over, thanks in part to the club's exceptionally high MOI and its large 425cc head.

Compared to the original r7 quad, the 425 promotes a wider change in trajectory in terms of both height and lateral movement; it's more forgiving; and visually encourages greater confidence.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I have the retail R7 425. I've never liked Taylormade drivers. I did think the R5TP was the most accurate driver ever but not very long. I think the 425 has changed my thoughts about Taylormade. This driver feels great, is very long and just as forgiving as any 460cc driver out there. I highly reccomend this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, it looks like several hundred people have checked this out, but can't believe there are so few posts so far. I'm sure that a lot of people will notice there's a new post on this driver and check this out

Also, the R7 425 TP has two listings. Can one of you officials put them together? That way, when the flood of reviews come in, they won't be split up.

How about those reviews? I've currently playing an R7 TP and have been ready to buy a J33R 460 for about a month. But just holding out to see what people think of the 425 TP first.

I just picked one up last week. I have it in 9.5 Std. Stiff Re-Axx shaft. I haven't played with it yet, but several trips to the range and have played with the weights a bit. Think I have found the right combo now for me.

I have played the Pro Launch S65 in other drivers, but was looking for something with a bit more boring trajectory. it seems to be doing that with the Re-Ax, I would like it maybe a tad lower. Should I leave well enough alone, or is there another shaft I should try. FWIW, I have tried the NV in the demo of my previous driver and it was too stiff and too low of trajectory even in 10.5.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Well... I've had the R7 425 for a week. played only 27 holes, but I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect from the club. Right now I'm playhing at a 10 handicap or so. To start with I'm coming from the Titleist 983K... a club which I love, but there just isn't enough forgivness for me. Can't say I've ever been a Taylor Made fan, but I'd say I'm warming up to the TM brand pretty quickly. Needless to say it was a bit of a shock to go from the Titleist to Taylor Made, but I adjusted pretty well.

The drive is certainly worth the money. I've hit at least 80% of the fairways thus far which is the key to my game. Great forgivness. Length is great as well. I'm going to a demo day in the beginning of April so by then I will have more to add to this review, but for now it's a fantastic stick and definitely worth a try for those in the market.

I picked up my R7 425, reg flex Aldila NV shaft last week after also "demo-ing" the Callaway X, G5 and SQ --- just in time for a three day trip to Bandon Dunes. I didn't hit every fairway and had to remind myself to make a good shoulder turn to get it right but the ball jumps and the club feels very responsive and solid when hit. This is my 4th new driver in 3 years (part compulsive, part dissatisfaction) but I really think I've found a good one here.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Smokes, Batman!

Got to hit one on a launch monitor yesterday and ordered the TP 8.5* w/ the 75 X Rombax after 5 swings.

Driver I have been playing with is a 7.5* R510 TP w/ ZCOM MW74 X and it is tipped 1/2".

Numbers with the 510 TP:

Swing speed: 126

Ball speed: 178

RPMs: 3900

Ball height at apex: 74 yds

Carry: 298 yds

Numbers with the 425 TP:

Swing Speed: 126

Ball Speed: 186

RPMs: 3600

Ball height at apex: 55 yds.

Carry: 304 yds

Folks, this is one unbelievable golf club. I've been playing golf for 35 years and haven't been wowed by many golf clubs, but TaylorMade has set the standard with this one.

Looks:

The head is a little longer from heel to toe than my 510, but I love the look. It gives a distinct feel of confidence that you can just get up an hammer it.

Sound:

Sounds much like my 510. No tinny "twanck" that you get with some larger heads. Just a good solid "thwack" like you get with the 510.

Feel:

Possibly the most solid driver that I've ever hit. With the 510, if you catch it just a little off center, the feedback is immediate and sometimes quite harsh. An off-center hit with the 425 TP still gave immediate feedback, but wasn't nearly as harsh, and I only lost about 8 yds. on average and the ball still stayed within 10-12 yds. of my target line.

I'm convinced that the shaft is the difference maker here. The new Re*Ax w/ Rombax tech. is a winner for TM. All the Fujikura shafts that I have ever hit felt somewhat "soft" to me. The Rombax didn't feel soft at all. In fact, it felt as if it might play a little stiffer than advertised flex. I loved it. I could get up and really try to stomp on it without any fear of the shaft not being able to keep up.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, TM has once again set the standard for drivers with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a Diamana 73s redboard in my R7 425. The stock REAX was too light at 65g.

Great feel and boring trajectory. The redboard is easy to launch as the tip is softer than the blueboard (which I used in my old R7) and does not balloon.

TM R7 425 9.5 w/ diamana redboard 73s

TM R7 steel 3W w/ diamana redboard 83s

TM Rescue Dual 19 w/ IROD stiff

3-PW TM R7 tp w/ rifle flighted

TM TP wedges 54 & 58

Guerin Rife Mallet

• 1 month later...

I usually make two reviews of every club...one is a honeymoon review and the other a post-honeymoon review. Note: This is the honeymoon review...

R7 425 9.5 deg. w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard 65 stiff:

By far the most accurate driver I have ever hit. Distance is impressive and is enhanced by the fact that I can't miss a fairway. I've hit drivers that are longer, but none more accurate. Thus, with the increase in fairways hit my average driving distance is the longest of any driver I have ever used (and measured).

Workability is amazing. With the weights set for neutral high ball flight, I could play a fade or draw on command. Though I play a natural fade, the ball fades less than I would normally expect.

With the weights set for high ball flight, high ball flight is what I get. Great launch angle with no ballooning whatsoever.

Slightly closed club face is probably what's causing my natural fade to fly straighter than normal, but not so closed so as to feel I couldn't play an easy cut on command, although as far as shot shaping goes the closed face helps promote the draw more than the fade.

I would say that even in the high neutral set-up this club still has a slight draw bias.

I went with the non-TP version because I wanted to play the Diamana shaft in a 65 as opposed to the Rombax in 75. Saved myself tons of dough vs. the TP though I feel I would benefit from the more open face angle.

Regardless of the face being closed at address this driver/shaft combo is still the best I have ever hit. My confidence with a driver has never been higher.

I will add my post-honeymoon review soon.

Addendum: Post Honeymoon Review

I've had the R7 425 in the bag for over six weeks now. It still impresses. My golf buddy's favorite thing to say every time after I drive is, "Terrible, you should sell that thing immediately!" [sarcasticaly]

The Diamana Blue 63 stiff shaft is just so amazingly smooth for a low ball flight shaft. And I've even gotten used to the slightly closed face to where I don't even notice it.

I strongly recommend trying it out with the Diamana or the right shaft for you.

Playing the 9.5* Tp model. Very long and workable club. I actually really like the Reax Rombax 75 gram shaft. TaylorMade states that this club is slightly open, but it looks square to slightly closed at address. I was playing the R5 TP prior to this and I like this better. The smaller clubhead just looks nice and gives me confidence at address.

• 1 month later...

Have the same setup..TM R7 425 10.5* w/ 73grm S-flex Redboard Diamana and it plays very solid..spin rate is approx 2,500rpm..launch angle is 12*, and swing speed is 100 mph, 6hpc..all weights are set to lower ball trajectory slightly, but zero correction for diretion..had the Blueboard 63 and NV 65 and hated the shafts and results..Jim

I have been using this driver all season and this stick has helped me improve my fairways hit.

I love the larger and hotter club face as I have gained a lot more distance to go along with the accuracy I have gained.

I don't forsee any driver out on the market today that can knock this driver out of my bag.

• 1 month later...

I love this driver. Very good feel and solid impact. Distance is awesome. I did demo this driver on a large local demo event yesterday. However, when I compared this baby to those Japanese brands such as Royal Collection and Fourteen (indeed, that was my 1st time to heard of these two brands). TM R7 425 TP is slightly behind the score I would give towards its japanese counterpart. If Royal Collection and Fourteen is 5, TM would be 4.8.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had this club for about 2 months now and the only thing that I don't like about it is the shaft. I just don't like the 65 gram stock shaft in it. I hook the snot out of this club, even when I set it up with the 12 gram weights out on the toe :) . I have a 10.5 degree and with an NXT Tour ball I have a trajectory that I like as far as height goes, but man does that thing turn left! The head is great and I think with a reshaft and a few different weights (maybe a couple 14s) that this thing will be in my bag for a long time :cheesy:

After getting a Graffalloy Blue Tour Stiff shaft installed at 45 3/4 (same length as the Ping G5 that I demoed, didn't go with the Ping for many reasons, none of them the fault of Ping or the quality of that driver. Just annoyed with my old employer). Looks great with the Blue New Decade grip. As far as performance goes, I am not sure that the english language has adequate adjectives to describe this new WMD. But I love the club, it's a Filthy McNasty. TM says the face angle is open, I always thought it was a bit closed, but they disagree. I guess it's my swing that produces the left turn. But I set it to fade a bit and it has a nice gentle draw now (2 on the heel, 12-2-12). I'm sure I'll get some heavier weights (probably just because they make them) but there really isn't a need. I love the club, now I need a 3 wood that I like as much.

:) :( :cheesy:

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

• 1 month later...

Looking to try one, quick question - is the club face naturally closed? I draw the ball and have had problems with TM in the past as they tend to have a draw bias?

TM says that it is open so I have to trust them. But man this thing can turn left!

Edit. They updated their web site and it now says that the 10.5 I have is closed. They don't say how much, but it's closed. :crazy: Oh well, it is still a WMD and I guess I could have it bent if it really annoyed me that much (which it may ;) )

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

425 TP version...

5 Stars ...long time Titleist user here...recently decided to give the 425 TP a try...had been using a 905R 9.5 757 X...first try with the 425 TP...was 10.5 tour head with Rombax 75X...did not work for me..heard great things..just did not feel right for me...put in a IP 83X...much better...no numbers yet...but much better launch angle..then flat boring trajectory....great roll....head is set to high slight draw....ball flight is exactly that!...have not played with the weights yet..just ordered some additional ones..so will be tooling with that soon..looking forward to it...

• 2 weeks later...

I got this driver with a stiff V2 over the summer. It is absolutely incredible. Compared to my Launcher 400 I had before, off-center hits on this go just as far as when I pured my Launcher, and when I pure it, it carries so much farther. The day I got it I took it to the range and hit about 30 balls with it-I could hit it on a corner on the face and it still carried 200 yards (I hit it about 240 when I hit it well). More impressive though, was that, unless I purposely had an awful swing, the ball had about a ten to fifteen yard dispersion (max) on each side. An amazing club, 5 stars.

I've had this club for about 6 months with a 10.5* reg re-ax shaft. I find that the tip is quite whippy and shot dispersion can be a bit all over the place on some days. I like the head and the fact that it can be quite forgiving on mishits so i think that the shot dispersion has a fair bit to do with the shaft. My SS doesn't usually exceed 98mph and i usually average around 96; I'm 15, only been playing a year and my handicap is around 11. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me what shaft i should or could put into this club. I'm thinking the V2 at the moment. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 425TP 9.5* with 75 REAX shaft and I think it is the best driver I ever hit. I have been using 905R before and I think I am averaging around 260-280 yds but with 425TP i lost a little bit of distance maybe about 5 yds and i find more fairway, i feel like i will always find the fairway with this club. I also have the superquad with fujikura vista tour 70 stiff, and the combination really fit my swing it is longer than 425TP but I agree with some people on this forum that 425TP is a go to club.

However, if you buy taylormade woods outside US, like in Asia, you won't get the weight set that comes with the TP club. I don;t know why, they told me they get their stock from Japan and that is how they set the policy. Altough it cost a little bit cheaper too maybe about 60 buck cheaper.

• 5 months later...