2017 PROV1X vs. TP5X

13»

Comments

• jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Mars 1109WRX Points: 166Handicap: 1Members Posts: 1,109 Platinum Tees

Q-Lock wrote:

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q

I find the TP5x to be a softer feel than ProV1x off all clubs including putter.

Me, too. It feels softer than V1X, goes farther,and doesn't overspin. Interesting ball
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hat TrickHat Trick  572WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    bnb9433 wrote:

ive tried most of the "tour" balls and 15' ProV1x performs the best.... TP5 (non-x) is a close 2nd
    I agree with this!!!
    Posted:
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses  10959WRX Points: 766Members Posts: 10,959 Titanium Tees
    Hat Trick wrote:

bnb9433 wrote:

ive tried most of the "tour" balls and 15' ProV1x performs the best.... TP5 (non-x) is a close 2nd
    I agree with this!!!

The current ProV1 is really a great ball. Great in the wind for once. If the TP5 and TP5X could spin under 100 yards for me, it would be a better ball. Low spin with a steeper descending angle is great for most shots, but not inside 100 yards for me. If TaylorMade can figure that out, it’s a better ball than the ProV1.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 14.5* (DI-7X)
    Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S)
    Ping i20 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • starsail85starsail85  4832WRX Points: 205Members Posts: 4,832 Titanium Tees
    Ball is just too hard and doesn’t spin enough from 100 and in

I can tell from many of the comments on this thread that the greens I play on are a lot firmer than others .
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58
  • jackzhangjackzhang  23WRX Points: 20Handicap: 15Members Posts: 23 Bunkers
    TP5 X
    Posted:
  • groachgroach  274WRX Points: 113Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 274 Greens
    I was a ProV1x guy for years until this spring. I tested a lot of balls and ended up switching to the Chrome Soft. However, if not for that ball, I would be playing that TP5X for sure. It was longer than the ProV1x and did everything else around the green the same for me.
    Posted:
    DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
    5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
    3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder X
    Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
    Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
    Putter: Newport 2.5 Special Select
    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis
    Glove: Titleist Players
    Shoes: Nike Air Max 1

Advertisement
  • MasterMickelsonMasterMickelson GolfAddict  18WRX Points: 5Handicap: 5Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

Both the TP5 and TP5x are both great balls but I kept going back and forth and couldn't decide which I liked best. Then I decided to settle back to my Chromesoft X and I'm happy. I could play any of the 3 though.

Which one gave you more distance off the tee, TP5, TP5X or CSX?

How many yards apart would you say that difference was?
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic SZ.
    3 wood: Callaway Big Bertha V Series.
    Irons: Titleist AP3. AMT Black.
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6. (48/54/58)
    Putter: Taylormade Spider OS CB.
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 27Handicap: +2Members Posts: 2,594 Titanium Tees
    There are 5 TOP Notch balls on the Tour right now, all VERY close. It's preference, for sure. I'll play any of them. Kinda ironic, but a well known caddy on Tour I know very well still claims if there were NO equipment contracts, everyone would be playing the ProV1. I see the Titleist lead shrinking, to be honest!
    Posted:
  • yebritasyebritas  116WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1.6Members Posts: 116
    I,'m a low handicap high swing speed player and I've played the Pro V1x since they are out there... but this year I switched to the TP5x, it goes longer and reacts better with woods and longer irons and it is amazing how penetrating the ball flight is on windy days. Also, it doesnt spin crazy with the wedges like the Pro V1x..
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M1 2017 10.5 - Matrix Black Tie 70X
    3Wood: Epic Sz 13.5* - Rogue Max 75x
    DI: Callaway X Utility Prototype 18* - Project X 6.5 steel
    3 iron: Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour - DG TI S400
    4-PW: Taylormade TP MC 2014 - DG TI X100
    52.08 F Grind Vokey SM7 - DG TI X100
    56.10 S Grind Vokey SM6 - DG TI X100
    Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Center Shaft // Kirk Currie III Center Shaft
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C. 445WRX Points: 98Handicap: Too low to win $$$Members, ClubWRX Posts: 445 Greens
    I still think the best balls out there are the 2016 ProV1x and TM's 2016 Tour Preferred X. That being said, I think the TP5X is close, but feel like its durability compared to the 2016 version is a little lacking. Tried the TP5 (no X) and was not a fan. Haven't hit the 2017 ProV1x. Still working through the 8 dozen K-Sigs I bought the last time Costco had them available online. Fore the price I have no complaints, but the K-Sigs are a little soft compared to my regular "clicky" go-to balls (ProV1X, TP5X, Tour Preferred X).
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    SIM 9.0* TBD // SIM 15* TBD // SIM 19* TBD // P790 Modus 120S // MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER X 34"
  • cane700cane700  2029WRX Points: 137Members Posts: 2,029 Platinum Tees
    The TP5X is a great ball off the tee and the irons. I feel like I get extra distance off the iron shots but I lose a lot of greenside spin with it. I also cracked a few of them last summer. Until my GIRs improve, The ProV1x is still my go to ball. Best ball for all around performance.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • spetzlespetzle  443WRX Points: 26Handicap: 2.5Members Posts: 443 Bunkers
    This ball is great greenside spin is excellent durability outstanding Played 4 rounds with same two balls they held up nicely definitely picked up ball speed and noticed at least 1/2 to full club longer
    Posted:
  • weckweck  19WRX Points: 45Handicap: 8.8Members Posts: 19 Bunkers
    Another vote for TP5X.

Played it for the better part of last year and it is better....for my swing and play.
    Posted:
  • rich_s2rich_s2 wisconsin 992WRX Points: 771Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 992 Golden Tee
    Are people actually saying they spin wedges more with the prov1x over the prov1? The v1 is a spin monster with short irons and wedges. I just switched a month ago to the x and it checks but does not spin back crazy amounts. I am going to test the 5x tonight
    Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3638WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 3,638 Titanium Tees
    I'm surprised at the people commenting that the TP5X feels firmer than the PV1X. The TP5X is a 90 compression ball while I believe the PV1X is 105. I went from the PV1X to the TP5X and immediately noticed the softer feel.
    Posted:
  • storm319storm319 US 4053WRX Points: 320Members Posts: 4,053 Titanium Tees
    cristphoto wrote:

I'm surprised at the people commenting that the TP5X feels firmer than the PV1X. The TP5X is a 90 compression ball while I believe the PV1X is 105. I went from the PV1X to the TP5X and immediately noticed the softer feel.

Not an apples to apples comparison since there is no industry standard for measuring compression. Even if both companies were measuring overall compression, there are still many variables that could vary results. Historically TM has published core compression only.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfpros1golfpros1  7584WRX Points: 151Members Posts: 7,584 Titanium Tees
    Sound plays a large role in how people perceive the softness of a ball. The TM ball is a little clicky compared to a prov1, but honestly, it's really not bad at all. It performs very well.
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag:
    Golf Jobs
    Driver: Titleist 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ 70 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
    Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x
    Bag: Titleist
  • BB28403BB28403  4274WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,274 Titanium Tees
    cristphoto wrote:

Noticed it in a bad way? Good way?
    Posted:
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4910WRX Points: 218Handicap: 0.4Members Posts: 4,910 Titanium Tees
    for me the ProV1x spins a good amount more with the irons, especially the short ones.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • keenfordkeenford  2WRX Points: 30Members Posts: 2 Starters
    Ok so... I'm not sure if this thread is still active. It looks somewhat old. But I just tried the TP5x and I love it.. however - I hit a high ball as it is and this ball off the tee was going sky high... too high I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. It was so high I thought it had to be me but then I took two drives off the tee. One TP5X and one Pro V1 (not x). The Pro V1 flew normal and the TP5x went sky high again. Next hole I teed the TP much lower and it was more like my normal shots. The thing is I absolutely LOVED the TP5X for everything else. It's like a rocket off irons and driver (if teed down). I just don't know if I can trust it off the tee in term of height. Will have to work more with it and see if I can work the driver out. Love the ball though.
    Posted:
  • fkim011fkim011 Official Club Whore Irvine, California 799WRX Points: 130Members Posts: 799 Golden Tee
    I prefer the TP5X. I don't like the idea of the ball zipping back because it's so unpredictable how much it's going to spin back.

I like to play the one hop skipper, check. The Tp5X does that for me.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfpros1golfpros1  7584WRX Points: 151Members Posts: 7,584 Titanium Tees
    I keep going back to the TP5X ball.... it just seems to perform marginally better than the Titleist balls. It just seems straighter, and it cuts through the wind really well. Both are great golf balls thought
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag:
    Golf Jobs
    Driver: Titleist 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ 70 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
    Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x
    Bag: Titleist
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30187WRX Points: 6,541Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,187 Titanium Tees
    EKELLY wrote:

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....
    EKELLY wrote:

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....
    EKELLY wrote:

bingo...
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30187WRX Points: 6,541Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,187 Titanium Tees
    RobYakes wrote:

I still think the best balls out there are the 2016 ProV1x and TM's 2016 Tour Preferred X. That being said, I think the TP5X is close, but feel like its durability compared to the 2016 version is a little lacking. Tried the TP5 (no X) and was not a fan. Haven't hit the 2017 ProV1x. Still working through the 8 dozen K-Sigs I bought the last time Costco had them available online. Fore the price I have no complaints, but the K-Sigs are a little soft compared to my regular "clicky" go-to balls (ProV1X, TP5X, Tour Preferred X).

absolutely .. Id go back to V1X in a second if i could get a stockpile of the grey stripe 16 ball.... that ball just flies where i looked... I have a few sleeves left and every once in a while ill play one and amazes me how well i drive and hit approaches with that ball... And its sound off putter is perfect .
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• BigHook25BigHook25  2336WRX Points: 131Members Posts: 2,336 Platinum Tees

EKELLY wrote:

EKELLY wrote:

EKELLY wrote:

bingo...

The difference between most of these golf balls is minimal now, but many still think that Titleist has the best ball. The pro v1 is a great ball, only issue is with any wind. I will take the Srixon XV or TP5 (or TP5x) over it any day. Or even the Bridgestone B330. Nobody ever comments on all the players missing the cut or playing awful that play the Pro V1. If you have enough guys playing it, you can make any excuse its great.
    Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3638WRX Points: 276Members Posts: 3,638 Titanium Tees
    I prefer the TP5X over the Prov1X due to the feel. Since the TP5X is the softer ball if feels better on mishits (especially off the driver). For my game this gives me more consistency.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • OldAndLameOldAndLame  36WRX Points: 30Handicap: 8Members Posts: 36 Bunkers
    I've switched to the TP5x from V1x the last couple of rounds and I've found it's about a half a club longer for me off the irons, longer off the driver, better in the wind but doesn't spin nearly as much on the 100 yards in or pitches. Feels firmer to me but I like that from a putting point of view.

Will be my winter ball.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2 9.75
    Titleist 915 F 16.5
    Titleist AP1 4,5
    Titleist AP3 6-48
    Vokey SM7 52 S, 56 M, 60 L
    Odyssey Versa #7
    Yellow Pro V1x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.