We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Ping I200 users

1356713
13

Comments

  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue  1117Members Posts: 1,117
    Joined:  #62
    I have been playing the Apex CF16 for two years now and really like them. I am considering the i200s for some reason I can't explain. The biggest hold ups are the soles look wider and the most reviews say the i200 is about a club shorter than the CF16. That's way too much yardage to give up. Can those that have played both comment please?
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Tensei Blue S 44.5"
    TM Aeroburner 16.5 HL Tensei Blue S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X 35" 3* flat 
    Maxfli Tour
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ChazbChazb  948Members Posts: 948
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2017 #63
    If you hit the i200 better what difference does it make if your a club shorter,just hit one club more.Its how you score and not what iron you hit that counts.
    Posted:
  • ssf301ssf301  85Members Posts: 85
    Joined:  #64
    Chazb wrote:


    If you hit the i200 better what difference does it make if your a club shorter,just hit one club more.Its how you score and not what iron you hit that counts.




    Agree. I don't really get this whole thing with the distance with irons. With a driver sure, but irons? I want an iron that when I need to hit it 170 yards, I get 170 yards every time and I want consistent distance changes between clubs. What difference does it make if it says 7 or 8 on the club, unless you are trying to impress your buddies that the number is an 8? But honestly, with so many jacked up lofts these days, an 8 does not equal 8 across so many sets.
    Posted:
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX  1721Members Posts: 1,721
    Joined:  #65
    ssf301 wrote:

    Chazb wrote:


    If you hit the i200 better what difference does it make if your a club shorter,just hit one club more.Its how you score and not what iron you hit that counts.




    Agree. I don't really get this whole thing with the distance with irons. With a driver sure, but irons? I want an iron that when I need to hit it 170 yards, I get 170 yards every time and I want consistent distance changes between clubs. What difference does it make if it says 7 or 8 on the club, unless you are trying to impress your buddies that the number is an 8? But honestly, with so many jacked up lofts these days, an 8 does not equal 8 across so many sets.
    Its called Ego
    Posted:
  • CDLgolfCDLgolf  889Members Posts: 889
    Joined:  #66
    AmazinBlue wrote:


    I have been playing the Apex CF16 for two years now and really like them. I am considering the i200s for some reason I can't explain. The biggest hold ups are the soles look wider and the most reviews say the i200 is about a club shorter than the CF16. That's way too much yardage to give up. Can those that have played both comment please?




    You could also get the power spec lofts on the i200's, that should add a bit of distance to them.

    I think the power spec decreases loft by 2*.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8
    Cobra F8 3 wood
    Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
    Ping i e1 6- uw
    Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
    Odyssey
  • RobNY22RobNY22  412Members Posts: 412
    Joined:  #67
    I will admit, it took a few rounds to get used to new yardages. They are definitely one club shorter for me than my previous loft-jacked irons. That being said, my spin numbers are much much better with these irons and I am actually holding greens that I used to roll off of and leaving crazy divots with the ball resting not too far from the pitch mark.



    I am happily sticking more greens with a club longer than my buddies
    Posted:
    PING G25 10.5°
    PING G25 4W/16.5°
    PING G25 3H/20°
    PING i200 4 - UW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 54ºSS, 58ºSS
    PING Redwood
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Colonel_SteelheadColonel_Steelhead O 872Members Posts: 872
    Joined:  #68
    Chunk777 wrote:

    ssf301 wrote:

    Chazb wrote:


    If you hit the i200 better what difference does it make if your a club shorter,just hit one club more.Its how you score and not what iron you hit that counts.




    Agree. I don't really get this whole thing with the distance with irons. With a driver sure, but irons? I want an iron that when I need to hit it 170 yards, I get 170 yards every time and I want consistent distance changes between clubs. What difference does it make if it says 7 or 8 on the club, unless you are trying to impress your buddies that the number is an 8? But honestly, with so many jacked up lofts these days, an 8 does not equal 8 across so many sets.
    Its called Ego




    Its called LDS, and not Latter Day Saints image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W,3H
    Ping i210 4-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50, 56 Eye 2
    Ping Anser 2 
    Titleist Pro V1
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TN 4154Members Posts: 4,154
    Joined:  #69
    AmazinBlue wrote:
    I have been playing the Apex CF16 for two years now and really like them. I am considering the i200s for some reason I can't explain. The biggest hold ups are the soles look wider and the most reviews say the i200 is about a club shorter than the CF16. That's way too much yardage to give up. Can those that have played both comment please?




    Power spec
    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon  196Members Posts: 196
    Joined:  #70
    Mine haven't been delivered yet, but I can tell you that my non power spec'd 7 iron was only half a club shorter than my apex cf in my fitting and thats at 2 degrees less loft.



    I look at this differently - you're buying these irons to launch and spin more most likely. By their actual nature you are trying to get them to fly in a way that will cause them to land shorter than the cannons you're hitting and not roll out as far. I don't know how their lack of length could be an actual deterrent in that scenario.
    Posted:
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello  3450Members Posts: 3,450
    Joined:  edited Jul 24, 2017 #71
    I figured with ordering the Modus 105 in the i200, that I might lose a little yardage over the G25 c-taper combo, but hopefully gain a lot more pliability.



    Lose 20g in the shaft weight, but gain a bit of spin for the carry based on the shafts. But who knows...
    Posted:
    G410 10.5* - G410 LST 14.5* - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Hi Toe 54* & 60* - BG F22
  • JumboJackJumboJack Lakewood,CA. 866Members Posts: 866
    Joined:  #72
    J-Tizzle wrote:
    I figured with ordering the Modus 105 in the i200, that I might lose a little yardage over the G25 c-taper combo, but hopefully gain a lot more pliability.



    Lose 20g in the shaft weight, but gain a bit of spin for the carry based on the shafts. But who knows...


    FWIW I LOVE the Modus 105's.
    Posted:
    TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
    Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
    Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
    PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
    PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
    BioMech 41"
    NDMC Plus 4
    ProV1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kooch1221kooch1221  746Members Posts: 746
    Joined:  #73
    I have the Ping i200s as a replacement to my long time favorites the i3 blades. So far I like them. They are not the equal of the i3s but they are good clubs never the less. One thing I am disappointed with is the build quality of the i200s I got. I requested D3.5 and got anywhere between D3.5 to D5. Ordered +3/4" length and almost all the clubs are spot on at +1" with grips on except for the PW which is .75" but .25" of the normal gap from 9 to PW. The dot on my 4 iron was not filled in and the grip logo alignment was spotty at best. Ill be the first to admit I'm picky about these things but in the past Ping was always spot with their builds.
    Posted:
  • marshvegasmarshvegas  1290Banned Posts: 1,290
    Joined:  #74
    kooch1221 wrote:


    I have the Ping i200s as a replacement to my long time favorites the i3 blades. So far I like them. They are not the equal of the i3s but they are good clubs never the less. One thing I am disappointed with is the build quality of the i200s I got. I requested D3.5 and got anywhere between D3.5 to D5. Ordered +3/4" length and almost all the clubs are spot on at +1" with grips on except for the PW which is .75" but .25" of the normal gap from 9 to PW. The dot on my 4 iron was not filled in and the grip logo alignment was spotty at best. Ill be the first to admit I'm picky about these things but in the past Ping was always spot with their builds.




    I feel like their build quality has gone down through the years...they are good at building stock but not custom.
    Posted:
  • kooch1221kooch1221  746Members Posts: 746
    Joined:  #75
    marshvegas wrote:

    kooch1221 wrote:


    I have the Ping i200s as a replacement to my long time favorites the i3 blades. So far I like them. They are not the equal of the i3s but they are good clubs never the less. One thing I am disappointed with is the build quality of the i200s I got. I requested D3.5 and got anywhere between D3.5 to D5. Ordered +3/4" length and almost all the clubs are spot on at +1" with grips on except for the PW which is .75" but .25" of the normal gap from 9 to PW. The dot on my 4 iron was not filled in and the grip logo alignment was spotty at best. Ill be the first to admit I'm picky about these things but in the past Ping was always spot with their builds.




    I feel like their build quality has gone down through the years...they are good at building stock but not custom.




    Funny thing is my build ticket was stamped WRX. Which used to mean your build was given extra attention.
    Posted:
  • rocket500rocket500  157Members Posts: 157
    Joined:  #76
    I have them and love them. Forgiving but they hide it well. The finish wears though, more like forged irons except they don't get chatter marks as much as most forged irons. They are chrome plated unlike the older ping irons that were just stainless with no plating. My Glide 2 sand wedge that I bought in May already has little chrome left on the sole.
    Posted:
  • skralyskraly  1602ClubWRX Posts: 1,602
    Joined:  #77
    AmazinBlue wrote:


    I have been playing the Apex CF16 for two years now and really like them. I am considering the i200s for some reason I can't explain. The biggest hold ups are the soles look wider and the most reviews say the i200 is about a club shorter than the CF16. That's way too much yardage to give up. Can those that have played both comment please?


    I've hit both. If you get the power spec option, which I have, the i200 is just as long as the CF16. With the power spec option the lofts of the i200's are comparable to the CF16's. Distances with the i200's are more consistent. I would get an occasional hot flight with the CF16's that would go an extra 10yds. Particularly with the 7 and 8 irons for some reason.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mike_CMike_C  1579Members Posts: 1,579
    Joined:  #78
    Anybody play the i200 3 iron? I played hybrids for years, didn't bag anything over a 5 iron for several years, but over the past few years I went the other way. I added the MPH5 3 and 4 iron to my bag on my last set, and can't seem to live without my long irons now, but now I can't find a hybrid I can hit.



    I've ordered the i200 in 4-GW, but have been thinking about options for a 3 iron or hybrid. I've hit the current Ping Crossover, don't like it. Would like to try the Cobra King Utility or Srixon U65, but was wondering if the Apex CF 16 or Steelhead XR Pro might be an option, maybe try the G400 in a 3 iron, or should I give the i200 3 iron a try? What I really want is a driving iron, don't really care about gaping, I want something I can hit 220-230 in the fairway off the tee.....
    Posted:
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • bnb9433bnb9433  250Members Posts: 250
    Joined:  #79
    Mike_C wrote:


    Anybody play the i200 3 iron? I played hybrids for years, didn't bag anything over a 5 iron for several years, but over the past few years I went the other way. I added the MPH5 3 and 4 iron to my bag on my last set, and can't seem to live without my long irons now, but now I can't find a hybrid I can hit.



    I've ordered the i200 in 4-GW, but have been thinking about options for a 3 iron or hybrid. I've hit the current Ping Crossover, don't like it. Would like to try the Cobra King Utility or Srixon U65, but was wondering if the Apex CF 16 or Steelhead XR Pro might be an option, maybe try the G400 in a 3 iron, or should I give the i200 3 iron a try? What I really want is a driving iron, don't really care about gaping, I want something I can hit 220-230 in the fairway off the tee.....




    i have i200 3-pw w/ PX 6.0.... hit my 3 iron 230-240 (driver ss 109-112.) i gamed a 2H before i purchased the 3 iron. the long irons are very forgiving IMO
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6s
    Epic Flash 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Callaway Apex '19 20* 3H
    Ping i200 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O works 7s
    ProV1
  • DrudershDrudersh  2968ClubWRX Posts: 2,968
    Joined:  #80
    kooch1221 wrote:


    I have the Ping i200s as a replacement to my long time favorites the i3 blades. So far I like them. They are not the equal of the i3s but they are good clubs never the less. One thing I am disappointed with is the build quality of the i200s I got. I requested D3.5 and got anywhere between D3.5 to D5. Ordered +3/4" length and almost all the clubs are spot on at +1" with grips on except for the PW which is .75" but .25" of the normal gap from 9 to PW. The dot on my 4 iron was not filled in and the grip logo alignment was spotty at best. Ill be the first to admit I'm picky about these things but in the past Ping was always spot with their builds.




    A couple of questions, did you order them at D3.5 throughout? If you simply asked for D3.5 they may have taken that as D3.5 in the long and mid irons and then gone to D4 in the 9 and D4.5 in the PW to match their standard SW progression. Additionally, if you were taking previously Ping standard length into account when you ordered, then your request for +3/4" based on a 37.75" 5 iron build becomes +1" with their new standard length of 38" off of the 5 iron.
    Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • PexeterPexeter  126Members Posts: 126
    Joined:  #81
    The wait kills..Ordered my set on 7/13, expected ship date 8/2. Almost 3 weeks!
    Posted:
    Ping iBlade Irons 5-PW
    Ping G400 LST Driver
    Ping G400 3 Wood
    Ping G400 3 & 4 Hybrid
    Ping 50, 54, 58 Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Golo S Putter
    Bennington Quiet Organizer 9
    Golfboard - Surf the Earth!
  • kooch1221kooch1221  746Members Posts: 746
    Joined:  edited Jul 25, 2017 #82
    Drudersh wrote:

    kooch1221 wrote:


    I have the Ping i200s as a replacement to my long time favorites the i3 blades. So far I like them. They are not the equal of the i3s but they are good clubs never the less. One thing I am disappointed with is the build quality of the i200s I got. I requested D3.5 and got anywhere between D3.5 to D5. Ordered +3/4" length and almost all the clubs are spot on at +1" with grips on except for the PW which is .75" but .25" of the normal gap from 9 to PW. The dot on my 4 iron was not filled in and the grip logo alignment was spotty at best. Ill be the first to admit I'm picky about these things but in the past Ping was always spot with their builds.




    A couple of questions, did you order them at D3.5 throughout? If you simply asked for D3.5 they may have taken that as D3.5 in the long and mid irons and then gone to D4 in the 9 and D4.5 in the PW to match their standard SW progression. Additionally, if you were taking previously Ping standard length into account when you ordered, then your request for +3/4" based on a 37.75" 5 iron build becomes +1" with their new standard length of 38" off of the 5 iron.




    I ordered d3.5 and d4.5 in the wedge. Under the old specs I used to order +1" which used to get me a 5 iron that was 38.75" to the end of the grip. So this time I ordered plus 3/4" trying to account for the new spec. My 5 iron is 39" to EOG. I'm guessing the new spec measures before the grip is installed ala Mizuno. Minus the PW which is just completely wrong the length progression measured with the grip on is steady on zeros and fives
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ChazbChazb  948Members Posts: 948
    Joined:  #83
    Can you have your i200 changed to power specs if you decide you want to?
    Posted:
  • Kid Bro SweetsKid Bro Sweets  213Members Posts: 213
    Joined:  #84
    Chazb wrote:


    Can you have your i200 changed to power specs if you decide you want to?




    yep, i went with stock for now but you can have them adjust to power spec or whatever you want to a degree image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max Speeder 661 Evo IV 
    Cobra 3 F9 HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra 5 F8 HZRDUS Red 75
    Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 Modus3 105
    Ping I200 5-W Modus3 105
    Nike Engage Wedges Modus 125
    Nike Origin Naked B2-01
  • ace036ace036  2030Members Posts: 2,030
    Joined:  #85
    So in addition to the lie angles and now calling their "standard" lie angle the blue dot, did Ping also change their lengths as well?



    Has Ping always measured and cut their shafts prior to installing the grips?
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 757x
    Titleist TS3 16.5° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7x
    Srixon Z U85 20° - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85 s+
    Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54.08M (55°) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 60.12D - Project X 6.0
    Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue  1117Members Posts: 1,117
    Joined:  #86
    I hit the i200 today. I was impressed. Feel was amazing, Sound was good. Ball flight was definitely higher than my Callaway Apex. Distance was hard to gauge because Carl's Golfland in Plymouth, MI has a weird setup and you never see the ball land. I am seriously considering getting fit for these. In previous years, I was white dot and 3/4" over standard. Their new color chart is much different.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Tensei Blue S 44.5"
    TM Aeroburner 16.5 HL Tensei Blue S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X 35" 3* flat 
    Maxfli Tour
  • Smokey227Smokey227  847Members Posts: 847
    Joined:  #87
    ace036 wrote:


    Has Ping always measured and cut their shafts prior to installing the grips?




    They have measured to the shaft since at least the i20s. I'm guessing longer than that. So that is not new.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 Fujikura Speeder TS 6.3
    Ping G400 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75
    Ping G400 22* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 100
    Ping I25 4-U Nippon Modus 105
    Ping Gilde 56 WS
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES
    Byron Morgan DH89 Longneck 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PrettyGoodPrettyGood  135Members Posts: 135
    Joined:  #88
    marshvegas wrote:
    I feel like their build quality has gone down through the years...they are good at building stock but not custom.




    I've seen this, too.



    My iE1s, 3-PW... on delivery 5 out of 8 clubs had shaft offcuts rattling around inside the shaft.



    Then my first set of i200s, also 3-PW, 5 out of 8 clubs have the serials printed like this:



    Posted:
  • tmax77tmax77  1044Members Posts: 1,044
    Joined:  #89
    I would contact ping customer service...they will fix the problem
    Posted:
    Under construction....
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5818Members Posts: 5,818
    Joined:  edited Jul 28, 2017 #90
    tmax77 wrote:


    I would contact ping customer service...they will fix the problem




    You're going to find screw ups by all companies. Although it reflects on their build quality it doesn't necessarily mean their overall quality is less than it used to be. And yes, Ping will make it right in a heartbeat.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Mizuno MP 20SEL 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3


    Snell MTB X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PrettyGoodPrettyGood  135Members Posts: 135
    Joined:  #91
    I could go back to my local, talk to my guy and get then PING involved.



    But, meh... worse things have happened, and I don't want to be that guy jumping up and down about some dodgy laser etching (too late, haha).



    Raised my eyebrows, but then back to golf.
    Posted:
13

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.