Ping G400 Drivers

Comments

• keyglobalkeyglobal ClubWRX Posts: 8
    Driver and 3 wood ordered! I'm convinced!
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,257 ClubWRX
    Looking at the face to crown attachment... same as the G - looks like crap. Why is there that big rough edge there?
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Vokey 54/60 sm7 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,118 ClubWRX

Still too much going on w.r.t. the crown, and the paint/finish screams "made in China" cheap still. Unless the performance is heads & shoulders above the 2017 M2 v2 or Epic, I'm not rushing out to get one.

I thought the same but I hit up golf galaxy tonight and hit the g400 lst and to me it isn't as busy as it looks in pictures. The sound and feel have turned me off of ping in the past but I really enjoyed hitting this one. I have stuck with my tp ab because I do not like the contrasting white and black of the m1 and m2 Im not a brand loyal person and I'm sure they are great drivers but to me they look cheap. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, sound and feel were great. With the tour x shaft in it I averaged 2300 with a 14 launch.

I'm not one to swap drivers out all that often. Putters are a different story. I went ahead a preordered one. If anyone is curious it's $15 to get a digital loft.

Ditgal loft , that mean u can ask for a 9 * and it's 9*?
    M5 9* MRC PRO-W 70TX 
    M5 15* MRC PRO-O 80TX 
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 716 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1)
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400
    Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego
    Zcords ,all woods & 2i hot melted, Ping Hoofer 
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    bogeypro wrote:

Looking at the face to crown attachment... same as the G - looks like crap. Why is there that big rough edge there?
    it's a rain gutter. during a downpour it helps keep moisture off the center of the face.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,633 ✭✭
    drbonesvt wrote:

Yep, nice feature
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,118 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 11, 2017 #37
    swizbeatz wrote:

drbonesvt wrote:

Yep, nice feature

That's Tight , just loft or does it include face angle & lie? Spec sheet come with it?
    M5 9* MRC PRO-W 70TX 
    M5 15* MRC PRO-O 80TX 
    Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 716 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1)
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400
    Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego
    Zcords ,all woods & 2i hot melted, Ping Hoofer 
  • Rig14PortRig14Port Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Hit the G400 10.5 at the PGA Superstore yesterday. Didn't spend a whole lot of time with it, but i hit it enough to provide some good initial feedback.

Looks: The head size and shape are perfect. At address, it still looks like a 460 head. It seems most of the size has been removed from the bottom of the driver. Only complaint would be that the face height is very shallow - it's shaped almost like an oversized fairway metal.

Feel: The face feels phenomenal. has a "tingy" or metallic feeling... much different than the M series and Epics which are more of a dead/ muted/ composite feel. Con to the feel: I wasn't getting great feedback on where on the face I was hitting it

Performance: SS 120+ tested with a Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 cause that's the best x flex shaft they had in store. Not the best numbers I've ever seen. Ball speeds were ok, launch was good, but I was spinning the thing in the upper 3,000 rpm range with a couple over 4,000 rpm. I carry my M2 right around 300 yrds on the PGA store launch monitors... I didn't carry a single drive with this PING setup over 280 yrds.

Definitely need to test again with a low spin shaft and maybe the 10* LST head, but initial feedback on looks, sound, and feel were really good.
    14 Golf Clubs (Tired of updating my sig every week)
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 917 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2017 #39
    Hit the Driver at Golf Galaxy, and their simulator only spits out 280 yard draws for me so it's not very accurate.

Ball speed was 2 mph lower than Epic, but the G400 just feels more reliable. It's definitely something, I'm going to want to hit outside ASAP.

The look and feel of the club is out of this world.
  • gdugdu Austin, TexasMembers Posts: 335 ✭✭
    Hit the driver, 3 wood, 4 hybrid and 4 crossover yesterday at Golf Galaxy. First 3 felt really good. Nice setup at address, good sound, and feels hot. Didn't like the crossover at all, but then I didn't like the old one either.

Definitely plan to hit them outside when I get fit for G400 irons on Friday.
    PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper
    Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES
    Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 760 ES
    Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15
    PING Glide 2.0 54
    ° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
    Toulon Garage Columbus
    TaylorMade 2017 TP5
  • phillyfan56phillyfan56 Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

when can we buy?

Available for Pre-Order now; ships & available Retail on July 27th
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 943 ✭✭
    JessD wrote:

Our Golf Galaxy just put these out on the demo racks (some still had the plastic wrap). My buddy and I hit a few of them and the sound is SO much better. I want to demo them at a range and try it against my M2. These drivers have me intrigued. Great feel to them!

I love the SOUND of the G, and the feel. I don't want my Ping to sound like an Epic !! image/download.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':download:' /> image/download.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':download:' /> image/smilie_ping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_ping:' />
  • FlashNoonanFlashNoonan Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I haven't been able to find anything to take my Anser out of my bag. Hopefully I can test it against the SFT soon.
    My Current WITB:
    Ping G LS Tec 9° -  UST ProForce V2 @ 44.5"
    Ping G 5 Wood @ 16.5° - Project X Even Flow Blue 65
    Ping G 7 Wood @ 21.5° - Project X Even Flow Blue 75
    Ping i200 (5-PW) - KBS Tour
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth -50°/ 54° /58°- TT Dynamic Gold
    Ping Karsten TR Anser2 - 34"
  • davo32683davo32683 Members Posts: 2,116 ✭✭
    Tried the G400 today and was blown away by the ball speeds I was getting compared to a well-fit 917D2 driver I'm playing. The G400 LST was consistently 3MPH higher.

They finally got the sound/feel fixed too!
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 8° Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Titleist TS3 15° 3 Wood Evenflow White 75 6.5
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 125
    Titleist SM7 Raw 50° Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Oil Can Wedgeworks V Grind 54°
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 60°
    Evnroll ER5B
    Custom Torched Evnroll ER2
    Custom MannKrafted WB-XL Long Pipe Neck
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,194 ✭✭
    More forgiving than previous 460 heads in a smaller head with a better sound finally. Even if ball speeds are a couple of mph slower I'd give up a few yards to be in the FW more.
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members Posts: 665 ✭✭

Still too much going on w.r.t. the crown, and the paint/finish screams "made in China" cheap still. Unless the performance is heads & shoulders above the 2017 M2 v2 or Epic, I'm not rushing out to get one.

I guess we are all entitled to our own perceptions of quality, but in my opinion PING and Titleist are always the cream of the crop for quality paint finishes and wear and tear over time whereas Taylormade and Callaway clubs usually look like they've been played a few seasons after the first month of ownership. I own all brands, and this has been my experience.
    M5 9* Accra TZ5 M4
    TS3 15 Tensei Pro White 70tx
    818 H1 19 Tensei Pro White 90tx
    i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
    Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
    PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
    PING Ketsch
  • halfsumohalfsumo Members Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Regular G cranked down to 8* vs. LST at 8.5*. Anyone worked through this currently or in the past?
    M5 9* Accra TZ5 M4
    TS3 15 Tensei Pro White 70tx
    818 H1 19 Tensei Pro White 90tx
    i500 4 iron, Steelfiber i95S
    Fourteen FH-900 5-PW Steelfiber i95S
    PING Glide stealth 50, 56 SM7 D 60
    PING Ketsch
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Homerun for Ping it appears. Can't wait to evaluate it.
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,565 ClubWRX
    sofla wrote:

445 and being more forgiving than the G and G30. As the villain in Die Hard Beverly Hills Cop said, "that would be a neat trick"

Fixed your post.
  • StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,452 ✭✭
    Very quick demo today. 10 swings maybe with the LS version and Tour65s as the demo cart isn't fully stocked yet and I figure I will go back sometimes when I'm not wearing slip ons.

Sound is improved, thus feel is by default. Really like the sole of the club, the crown will eventually be appealing with time. Alta shaft is cool in the graphics department. I sold my LTD Pro yesterday and have no driver at this time, so it is either the G400 or the BST... time will tell.
    Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • PexeterPexeter Members Posts: 126
    Planning on ordering a driver this week, but have to say it's pretty disappointing for a 8/17 release on the hybrids/fairways.
    Ping iBlade Irons 5-PW
    Ping G400 LST Driver
    Ping G400 3 Wood
    Ping G400 3 & 4 Hybrid
    Ping 50, 54, 58 Glide 2.0 Wedges
    Scotty Cameron Golo S Putter
    Bennington Quiet Organizer 9
    Golfboard - Surf the Earth!
  • SnipermanSniperman Members Posts: 2,007 ✭✭
    gambit wrote:

More forgiving than previous 460 heads in a smaller head with a better sound finally. Even if ball speeds are a couple of mph slower I'd give up a few yards to be in the FW more.

Me n you both! 😜
    M2 Atmos Black

M2 Speeder

Ping G Tensei Blue

p790 Modus 130

O-Works Red 7s
    Z Star XV
  • snakesnotsnakesnot Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I hit the G400 yesterday. Muted sound but overall liked it. I hit it along with my G driver but couldn't tell much difference on the range. Will have to take it to the course to see if I really want it.
  • short gameshort game Members Posts: 292
    i think one of the most interesting things on the new driver is the ability to order the new Copper Aldila X-torsion shaft for a 60.00 uncharge. that just seems to be very interesting.....
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
    Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 5 hybrid
    Ping i200 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 2.0 54 (bent to 55) and 60
    Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1
  • ATXHornATXHorn Members Posts: 641 ✭✭
    DiscountDans sells Ping again, great folks to work with.

Placed my LST with HZDUS Yellow, hope combo works.
    Ping G400 Max w/HZDUS Yellow 7X
    Rogue FW w/HZDUS Yellow 8X
    3-5i Ping i500 w/steelfiber 110x
    6i-PW Ping iBlade w/steelfiber 110x
    50SS & 54SS Stealth Glide 2.0 - 60 Glide Forged w/Paderson Wedge Stiff
    Ping PLD3 w/counterbalanced PP60
    Titleist AVX or Chromesoft
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 668 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2017 #56
    Swung the LST and I had 109-111 ss via Golf Galaxy which is about my norm. No real big number changers in the stock options yardage, ss, or bs ... so hype too much on stock?

That being said I'm 6'0'' and I play a 44.5 length with my X2Hot and the 45.75 felt way too long length wise. Seriously ... what the **** are manufacturers thinking about length wise nowadays??!! Who the **** actually wants something that long. The pro laughed at me when I had to choke down a ridiculous amount and agreed on the length. The shaft options are lacking in variety which is a major gripe of mine atm.

Need to get fitted at Cool Clubs locally to even find a correct shaft for this thing. That being said ... the feel is very nice though and the looks are something I actually like as it frames the ball very nicely.

45.75 length ... SERIOUSLY PING??!! image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' /> image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' /> image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' />
  • 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,710 ✭✭
    short game wrote:

i think one of the most interesting things on the new driver is the ability to order the new Copper Aldila X-torsion shaft for a 60.00 uncharge. that just seems to be very interesting.....

I've seen a whole lot of premium shafts that were "X-torsion."
  • jrshelbyjrshelby Members Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Swung the LST and I had 109-111 ss via Golf Galaxy which is about my norm. No real big number changers in the stock options yardage, ss, or bs ... so hype too much on stock?

That being said I'm 6'0'' and I play a 44.5 length with my X2Hot and the 45.75 felt way too long length wise. Seriously ... what the **** are manufacturers thinking about length wise nowadays??!! Who the **** actually wants something that long. The pro laughed at me when I had to choke down a ridiculous amount and agreed on the length. The shaft options are lacking in variety which is a major gripe of mine atm.

Need to get fitted at Cool Clubs locally to even find a correct shaft for this thing. That being said ... the feel is very nice though and the looks are something I actually like as it frames the ball very nicely.

45.75 length ... SERIOUSLY PING??!! image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' /> image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' /> image/nono.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nono:' />
    only the Alta shafts are built at 45.75”. Any up charge shaft will default to 45.25”. I just ordered one with the TiNI dual core 60x at 45”.
    PING G410 LST DL 8.5° EVENFLOW 75X
    PING G410 LST 13° EVENFLOW 85X
    PING G410 2/17°, 4/23° CROSSOVER DG 120 X100
    MP 18 SC 
    3-PW PX LZ 6.5  S18 50°, 54° 58° PX LZ 6.5
    PXG GEN2 BRANDON HEEL SHAFTED NECK
  • 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,710 ✭✭
    I hope somebody will write a lot more about Ping's digital measuring options. That sounds amazing. How it's done, how to order it, (even how to figure out what exactly you might want/need)...

And this; I have never been impressed with any of the "aerodynamics" hype. But always, and instinctively (because I am old enough to have started playing golf with wooden drivers) I have felt that it was difficult to "square up" 460cc drivers. I would have been the happiest guy in the world if Frank Thomas had had his wits about him and had recommended to his bosses at the USGA that they limit driver head volumes to about 320cc when they had the chance.

Its been years since I was this excited about a driver launch.
  • FullOfBrushManFullOfBrushMan Members Posts: 668 ✭✭
    jrshelby wrote:

only the Alta shafts are built at 45.75”. Any up charge shaft will default to 45.25”. I just ordered one with the TiNI dual core 60x at 45”.

I understand. But I'll just quote Bubba aka the face of PING for many years ...

Twice I've been offered a spot in the Re/Max World Long Drive Championship, and both times I turned it down. It was nice to be invited, but I thought altering my swing specifically to get more distance for that one event might wreck my game. But I did toy with the idea, and even had Ping build me a driver with 5.5 degrees of loft and an extra-long, 48-inch shaft. The longer shaft, which many people assume is an automatic trick to generating more clubhead speed, didn't work at all. It threw my timing off, and I didn't hit the ball much farther even when I nailed it. I did much better with my standard 44½-inch driver, simply swinging a little harder.

Trying a longer shaft is a popular suggestion these days, but most players should, if anything, try a shaft half an inch shorter than what's in their driver. (The average, off-the-rack driver shaft today is 45½ inches.) Tiger Woods at his longest used a relatively short 43½-inch driver, with a steel shaft to boot. You'll find it easier to hit the sweet spot with a shorter shaft, and you can go after tee shots without losing much control.

The fact that companies are still pushing these 45+'' cheap whips out there is insanity when the Tour contradicts everything when it comes to fitting clubs for players.
  • SnipermanSniperman Members Posts: 2,007 ✭✭
    Finally got to hit a demo g400 LST with the HZRDUS 6.5 and I have to say I've never achieved numbers like the ones I saw on the monitors. And just for kicks I brought with me my current driver to do a side to side comparison.

Currently, I play the Nike Flex440 with a Kuro Kage dual core 60x which I thought is a decent driver, gets me about 265 total on a good day. I warmed up with it and sure enough I was in the 250s as expected. I picked up the Ping, still hitting in the same hitting bay, no one has touched the monitor, first swing 275! Hit another 282, another 280...whut!?!? Now I know I have take the numbers with a bucket of salt...but the sound alone got me sold. And truly, the ball just seems to explode off the face!

What really surprised me was how great looking the head is and how it sits. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but man I've never been so giddy! I can't decide on the shaft!!

M2 Atmos Black

M2 Speeder

Ping G Tensei Blue

p790 Modus 130

O-Works Red 7s
    Z Star XV