PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surprised he just didn't call a penalty on himself before signing his card. he would still have won..and save his face

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

He won by 6. Nbd

It was on the sixth hole. With a temper like his, it would have likely been a very bd.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Any reason this revelation wasn't shared in the other threads that are talking about it?

Please point out the other threads. This can gladly be combined.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

any reason to think he cheated on purpose

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

didn't like a spike mark on original location

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It doesnt matter if it was on purpose or not. If you are a db in football and you run into a wr on accident its still pass interference. No different in golf.

It currently would be a two 2 shpt penalty, inncorrect card and playing a ball from the wrong spot. He won by 6, so it really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

To be honest alot golfers in the higher ranks do this.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

i understand what u are saying as far as the rules go, but i want to know if he did it on purpose

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

I watched with interest some of the comments on other Social media sites where The Golf Channel, Golfweek, Golf.com etc etc post. Making issues about why was he allowed to get away with this when Lexi wasn't. People calling him a cheat, a spoilt brat, he moved it because of a spike mark, sure why not make up a reason. Brandel Chamblee ( font of all knowledge, if it can generate controversy) even said he moved it by up to 4 inches. The rule changed to allow for reasonable adjustment. Andy McPhee said that they had reviewed the incident and he placed his mark at about 10 o'clock and replaced it at about 11 o'clock. They were happy with his and Im's explanation that he believed he had placed it in the same spot. They allowed for reasonable adjustment that he did not intentionally place it in a different position, the position change was marginal and no advantage was gained. Rahm to his credit was accepting of any penalty but the rules officials did not impose one. I think there is a certain amount of European player hatred coming into play here. As I have said before he had a reason to mark to the side and not impede Im's putt, Lexi didn't have a reason!

I watched with interest some of the comments on other Social media sites where The Golf Channel, Golfweek, Golf.com etc etc post. Making issues about why was he allowed to get away with this when Lexi wasn't. People calling him a cheat, a spoilt brat, he moved it because of a spike mark, sure why not make up a reason. Brandel Chamblee ( font of all knowledge, if it can generate controversy) even said he moved it by up to 4 inches. The rule changed to allow for reasonable adjustment. Andy McPhee said that they had reviewed the incident and he placed his mark at about 10 o'clock and replaced it at about 11 o'clock. They were happy with his and Im's explanation that he believed he had placed it in the same spot. They allowed for reasonable adjustment that he did not intentionally place it in a different position, the position change was marginal and no advantage was gained. Rahm to his credit was accepting of any penalty but the rules officials did not impose one. I think there is a certain amount of European player hatred coming into play here. As I have said before he had a reason to mark to the side and not impede Im's putt, Lexi didn't have a reason!

I thought the rule changes go into effect in 2019?

It doesnt matter if it was on purpose or not. If you are a db in football and you run into a wr on accident its still pass interference. No different in golf.

It currently would be a two 2 shpt penalty, inncorrect card and playing a ball from the wrong spot. He won by 6, so it really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

To be honest alot golfers in the higher ranks do this.

It was caught the same day during the round. There would not be the additional incorrect scorecard two stroke penalty involved.

To the other post...is anyone else completely sick of Chamblee trying to stir things up constantly? He says this mark was incorrect by 3-4" inches. It was not even near that much.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Regardless of where he put the ball back in relation to the marker, how do we know he moved the marker back to the same exact location it was? Was he off a quarter inch? A half?

How about when someone hits a ball into a hazard from hundreds of yards away and has to estimate where it crossed into the hazard. What if they are off by a foot? What about 5 feet? How about 10 feet?

The point here is that:

1) Golf has no shortage of idiocy within its rules

2) There are known situations where a ball is put back into play in an imprecise location. Why does exact precision matter only some of the time?

I think we should go back to just leaving the ball where it lies completely untouched. Maybe bring back the stymie while we are at it. All of this going crazy about millimeters is a direct result of using an imprecise device (a coin) to determine the position of the ball when in reality it makes no difference at all to the outcome.

I think we should go back to just leaving the ball where it lies completely untouched. Maybe bring back the stymie while we are at it. All of this going crazy about millimeters is a direct result of using an imprecise device (a coin) to determine the position of the ball when in reality it makes no difference at all to the outcome.

^ Right on the money.

If we did the following test:

1. Asked someone to move their mark because it was in the way
  2. Walked away and waited while the other player took their turn
  3. Moved their mark back

We would precisely measure the before and after location of the mark.

I can guarantee we would see variations in the location of the mark. Perhaps some that are as much 1-2 inches different. And this test would be done with the participants knowing they are being measured.

If we did this test on a random group of people in random situations, I would hypothesize an even larger variance.

surprised he just didn't call a penalty on himself before signing his card. he would still have won..and save his face

Thats my view as well. It wouldnt affect the outcome and would show good faith and honor in the rules official who gave him the out. Different from the Lexi situation as the rules officials let him know right away.

in 2006 Darren Clarke showed guts and honor to penalize himself after a rain delay when fans improved his lie in the rough. i saw this on tv and was blown away by his honesty and integrity. i cant find the video but thats what golf is about.It cost him his countrys open title and he didnt compromise his integrity. pure class

http://news.bbc.co.u...olf/5012034.stm

http://www.belfastte...e-28764597.html

Got a solution...cresent moon shaped coin, standard for all players. Mark the golfball inside the concave side.

You mark your ball, then need to move your mark, lining up your putter to some inanimate object yards away, then move the marker back, then replace the ball. I would be astonished if this can be done with any degree of absolute certainty as to the original ball position. Rahm did the best he could do, without resorting to some exotic GPS spotting.

Thats my view as well. It wouldnt affect the outcome and would show good faith and honor in the rules official who gave him the out. Different from the Lexi situation as the rules officials let him know right away.

in 2006 Darren Clarke showed guts and honor to penalize himself after a rain delay when fans improved his lie in the rough. i saw this on tv and was blown away by his honesty and integrity. i cant find the video but thats what golf is about.It cost him the irish open title and he didnt compromise his integrity.

Did Clarke really penalize himself? I don't think so.

While he did play sideways to the fairway, he did so from a MUCH better lie. Perhaps from the original lie (which was much worse) he may not have put it back in the fairway and compounded the issue?

Also - isn't Clarke required to recreate the original lie? If he knew the lie had changed, don't the rules require him to recreate the original lie to the best of his ability?

I may be wrong about having to recreate the lie, but if I am correct, didn't Clarke actually break that rule by hitting his ball from a lie that he knew was better than what he left it as?

I thought the rule changes go into effect in 2019?

The R & A and USGA agreed a rule change following the Lexi Thompson incident.

• New Decision on the Rules of Golf will limit use of video evidence
  • Decision 34-3/10 will implement two standards for Rules committees to limit use of video
  • New Decision takes effect immediately

The R&A and the USGA have issued a new Decision on the Rules of Golf to limit the use of video evidence in the game which takes effect immediately.

The two organisations have also established a working group of LPGA, PGA Tour, European Tour, Ladies European Tour and PGA of America representatives to immediately begin a comprehensive review of broader video issues that arise in televised competitions, including viewer call-ins.

Decision 34-3/10

New Decision 34-3/10 implements two standards for Rules committees to limit the use of video: 1) when video reveals evidence that could not reasonably be seen with the “naked eye” and 2) when players use their reasonable judgment to determine a specific location when applying the Rules. The full language of the Decision can be found here.

The first standard states “the use of video technology can make it possible to identify things that could not be seen with the naked eye.” An example includes a player who unknowingly touches a few grains of sand in taking a backswing with a club in a bunker when making a stroke.

If the committee concludes that such facts could not reasonably have been seen with the naked eye and the player was not otherwise aware of the potential breach, the player will be deemed not to have breached the Rules, even when video technology shows otherwise. This extends the provision from ball at rest moved cases, which was introduced in 2014 (Decision 18/4).

The second standard applies when a player determines a spot, point, position, line, area, distance or other location in applying the Rules, and recognises that a player should not be held to the degree of precision that can sometimes be provided by video technology. Examples include determining the nearest point of relief, or replacing a lifted ball.

So long as the player does what can reasonably be expected under the circumstances to make an accurate determination, the player’s reasonable judgment will be accepted, even if later shown to be wrong by the use of video evidence.

Rules Modernisation

Both of these standards have been extensively discussed as part of the Rules modernisation initiative and The R&A and the USGA have decided to enact this Decision immediately because of the many difficult issues arising from video review in televised golf.

The standards in the Decision do not change any of the current requirements in the Rules, as the player must still act with care, report all known breaches of the Rules and try to do what is reasonably expected in making an accurate determination when applying the Rules.

Video-related topics that require a deeper evaluation by the working group include the use of information from sources other than participants such as phone calls, email or social media and the application of penalties after a score card has been returned.

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, said, “We have been considering the impact of video review on the game and feel it is important to introduce a Decision to give greater clarity in this area. Golf has always been a game of integrity and we want to ensure that the emphasis remains as much as possible on the reasonable judgment of the player rather than on what video technology can show.”

USGA Executive Director/CEO Mike Davis said, “This important first step provides officials with tools that can have a direct and positive impact on the game. We recognise there is more work to be done. Advancements in video technology are enhancing the viewing experience for fans but can also significantly affect the competition. We need to balance those advances with what is fair for all players when applying the Rules.”

The R&A and the USGA will consider additional modifications recommended by the working group for implementation in advance of 1 January 2019, when the new code resulting from the collaborative work to modernise golf’s Rules takes effect.

in 2006 Darren Clarke showed guts and honor to penalize himself after a rain delay when fans improved his lie in the rough. i saw this on tv and was blown away by his honesty and integrity. i cant find the video but thats what golf is about.It cost him the irish open title and he didnt compromise his integrity.

While he did play sideways to the fairway, he did so from a MUCH better lie. Perhaps from the original lie (which was much worse) he may not have put it back in the fairway and compounded the issue?

Also - isn't Clarke required to recreate the original lie? If he knew the lie had changed, don't the rules require him to recreate the original lie to the best of his ability?

I may be wrong about having to recreate the lie, but if I am correct, didn't Clarke actually break that rule by hitting his ball from a lie that he knew was better than what he left it as?

You got everything back words and yes he penalized himself. He knew it wasnt a lucky breakand showed alot of honor, sorry you dont see it my way

the question is, was it an honest mistake by him

You got everything back words and yes he penalized himself. He knew it wasnt a lucky breakand showed alot of honor, sorry you dont see it my way

He did know it wasn't a lucky break, I will give you that, but my question still stands, isn't he obligated to recreate the original lie if he knows it was different?