Grayson Murray article on Golf Channel

jonsnow

Anybody read this yet? Makes the case for social anxiety & depression being the cause of his strange behavior on Twitter. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but hope he gets better. Not a fan but wouldn't wish these kind of issues on anybody, not even Charlie Beljan, another guy I'm not a fan of but who supposedly has some similar issues.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it, and I agree it sounds like he should be staying off Twitter. He WD'd this week after two holes. Did anyone see why?

As for Charlie Beljan, I seem to remember he was only eating one particular item at each meal. Can't remember what it was. Does anyone else remember this?

Was told Greyson cited "illness" for the WD.

Charlie wasn't just eating one item, it was things like he would eat pasta but it couldn't have tomato sauce but really liked pizza even though it does. His food doesn't touch on the plate, either. One of the guys at my club knows him and talks very highly of him.

I played in the 90s dealing with anxiety/panic disorder.

Really affected my sleep. Anxiety is pretty much thinking forward at light speed for me, and an early time, normal life stresses, combined with trying to play well enough to survive was a tough battle I chose.

I got fined a few times, acted like a child at times, and sometimes really struggled being able to get to the course for tournaments.

Even now, I would argue my behavior was impacted by all that battle, but overall, sometimes I was just a douchebag, letting the struggle get the better of me. Everybody basically has something to battle, some deal well with it, I could have done much better. I do understand how someone can really be impacted when things are spinning though. If you've never been there with panic/anxiety it's hard to describe the terror that can jump you. I have an amazing wife, who still can't fathom it, and I envy her talent to stay in the present and move forward through every challenge, while I fight myself trying to spin. These days, I'm light years better than when I played (in my late 20's early 30s), but still get waylaid a couple times a year by an irrational fear that festers

Really affected my sleep. Anxiety is pretty much thinking forward at light speed for me, and an early time, normal life stresses, combined with trying to play well enough to survive was a tough battle I chose.

I got fined a few times, acted like a child at times, and sometimes really struggled being able to get to the course for tournaments.

Even now, I would argue my behavior was impacted by all that battle, but overall, sometimes I was just a douchebag, letting the struggle get the better of me. Everybody basically has something to battle, some deal well with it, I could have done much better. I do understand how someone can really be impacted when things are spinning though. If you've never been there with panic/anxiety it's hard to describe the terror that can jump you. I have an amazing wife, who still can't fathom it, and I envy her talent to stay in the present and move forward through every challenge, while I fight myself trying to spin. These days, I'm light years better than when I played (in my late 20's early 30s), but still get waylaid a couple times a year by an irrational fear that festers

amen Brother... im there with you.... i totally understand the spins.... Im OCD to the max, and a creature so deep in habit that the mere mention of changing the routine irritates me..

Hate crowds, but often get to a event i dread going to and end up enjoying myself... Yet fear it nontheless .. Do not like meeting new people... yet can make friends qucikly IF the person passes the "test" and is deemed ok.. no set rules for this.. its just usually a pass/fail thing.. pass equals great friends / fail equals i wont answer the phone if you call..ever... lol

And i totally get the hyper thoughts going forward... My brain absolutely never ever shuts off... it goes 90 miles an hour all day.. I manage this by making lists.. one day at a time lists.. i cannot function if i have a task list i cant complete for the day.. Now it doesnt kill me if the list doesnt get finished., I can just re write the new list tomorow to include the leftover work.. But if i made a list i knew i couldnt finish that day it would drive me crazy thinking about it and i would dwell on it running in circle rather than complete tasks.. so i would get even less done.. it just overloads my brain...so i make small lists and compartmentalize the tasks into what I call taking small bites..

my wife ( who is an angel for living with me 15 years) knows this and even with a honey-do list she will only give me small sections at a time... shes the opposite.. shes a planner and will know 6 months from now what we are doing ..

I know..cray cray ..right ? lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

amen Brother... im there with you.... i totally understand the spins.... Im OCD to the max, and a creature so deep in habit that the mere mention of changing the routine irritates me..

Hate crowds, but often get to a event i dread going to and end up enjoying myself... Yet fear it nontheless .. Do not like meeting new people... yet can make friends qucikly IF the person passes the "test" and is deemed ok.. no set rules for this.. its just usually a pass/fail thing.. pass equals great friends / fail equals i wont answer the phone if you call..ever... lol

And i totally get the hyper thoughts going forward... My brain absolutely never ever shuts off... it goes 90 miles an hour all day.. I manage this by making lists.. one day at a time lists.. i cannot function if i have a task list i cant complete for the day.. Now it doesnt kill me if the list doesnt get finished., I can just re write the new list tomorow to include the leftover work.. But if i made a list i knew i couldnt finish that day it would drive me crazy thinking about it and i would dwell on it running in circle rather than complete tasks.. so i would get even less done.. it just overloads my brain...so i make small lists and compartmentalize the tasks into what I call taking small bites..

my wife ( who is an angel for living with me 15 years) knows this and even with a honey-do list she will only give me small sections at a time... shes the opposite.. shes a planner and will know 6 months from now what we are doing ..

Sounds a lot like me haha.

His doucheyness is depressing.

Grayson or Charlie? :dntknw:

Which one hits on high school girls on twitter?

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Tough guy and bully on social media

Insecure, no true confidence, anxious in reality

Sounds like half of our teenage/young adult demographic

It was nice when these damaged souls didn't have a platform to spew their non sense. Obviously its no good to insult a guy going through issues. But he was quite dismissive, racist and straight mean with many things he said. I miss the times when the crazies could only act in face to face situations. Phones and computers...created a generation of cyber thugs. At the very least it took some bit of kahuna's to say things in person!

Hope he gets well and removes himself permanently from the poison of social media. Apologies for several of his statements would be nice too.

He has my sympathy for having to deal with depression and anxiety. I've never had to but having seen it in others, it's not easy.

That said he has made a complete fool out of himself online since he got his PGA Tour card and blaming hitting on a child on depression and anxiety is a stretch.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He has my sympathy for having to deal with depression and anxiety. I've never had to but having seen it in others, it's not easy.

That said he has made a complete fool out of himself online since he got his PGA Tour card and blaming hitting on a child on depression and anxiety is a stretch.

I've dealt with major depression and anxiety throughout my life and still understood what is and isn't acceptable behavior. The two aren't related and is just a cop out for some public sympathy because of said behavior. I may be wrong but I doubt the guy had some incredible epiphany in the last month.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I've dealt with major depression and anxiety throughout my life and still understood what is and isn't acceptable behavior. The two aren't related and is just a cop out for some public sympathy because of said behavior. I may be wrong but I doubt the guy had some incredible epiphany in the last month.

My mother struggled with depression her entire adult life to the extent she underwent electroshock therapy in the late 1970s. She was also one of the kindest, most highly regarded people in her community. Don't have any personal experience with anxiety/social anxiety but my impression of Grayson was he's a meathead. Now my impression is he's a meathead with social anxiety & depression. I don't think one necessarily leads to the other.

As someone who has dealt with social anxiety and bi-polar depression my whole life, I can honestly say it was at it's worst in my late teens and early 20's. Grayson's age. You're just learning how to deal with it and how to make it not affect your every day life even though it impacts basically every single thing you do. Always. So count me as a fan of Grayson's, hopefully he gets it all figured out. I know it took me til I was what... 35? Best of luck to him.

Sounds a lot like me haha.

same here .. well the mind racing and stuff/OCD isn't so terrible but the wife thing is right on with the differences

funny i was about to reply to the first quoted post and i'm 4th ..

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for being a db ... none at all. Heck, it's likely the cause of his anxiety and depression.

Seems like his parents did a half arse job of raising him and his siblings. Dad says the other kids didn't grow up until they were 25. I know all of us achieve different stages of maturity throughout life, but allowing all of your kids to act like kids until 25 is not something to be proud of.

His agent has had weeks/months to come up with a face saving story for his Twitter BS and this is what they've dreamt up? It's an insult to those who suffer from anxiety and depression.

It's a weak sad attempt to do a "Mea Culpa" and have his intolerable racist behaviour washed away for the sake of endorsements and sponsorship. He gets what he deserves.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Anyone else see the amusing back and forth between John Peterson and Tron from NLU which came as a result of this article.

Reacting the way that he did, Peterson pretty much backed up the point that Tron was trying to make in the first place.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for being a db ... none at all. Heck, it's likely the cause of his anxiety and depression.

It's hard to know where to feel bad for certain guys, especially with how the media always needs to make counterpoints, the jerk is always not really a jerk, the nice guy is not really nice... It's how they drive clicks because people love contrarian stuff.

Honestly a lot of people have gone through things that could sound sad if played up. A lot of the time this just feels like PR

At least his story is better than pat Perez who thought telling people he grew up in a large house that wasn't quite a mansion would endear him to folks

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's hard to know where to feel bad for certain guys, especially with how the media always needs to make counterpoints, the jerk is always not really a jerk, the nice guy is not really nice... It's how they drive clicks because people love contrarian stuff.

Honestly a lot of people have gone through things that could sound sad if played up. A lot of the time this just feels like PR

At least his story is better than pat Perez who thought telling people he grew up in a large house that wasn't quite a mansion would endear him to folks

Yea surviving the inner city streets of Torrey Pines by working at a driving range. What a tough life...lol

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black