Drive, Chip & Put

Has anyone had any experence with these events? Do they change the setup to become more difficult along the way? She won the local event, the puts and chips were to my suprize very easy. The next round is at the same course, do they change the setup at all the more you advance. Make the puts have more break in it or move it to a longer chip? Let me know what experence y'all have with this event.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the same until you get to Augusta. It takes a lot more luck than skill to advance.

Oh I agree with you there. Somehow my daughter manged to make two of the three puts. Almost holed two the the chips as well. Granted she only 6 but still. Just wanted to see if they make it any more chanlleging or if the setup stays the same. As we try to practice some for it.

It is the same until you get to Augusta. It takes a lot more luck than skill to advance.

Oh I agree with you there. Somehow my daughter manged to make two of the three puts. Almost holed two the the chips as well. Granted she only 6 but still. Just wanted to see if they make it any more chanlleging or if the setup stays the same. As we try to practice some for it.

Nope.

I look at it as a hour drive for 5 minutes of recreational competition. We do it because of what is at the end of the rainbow.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Nope.

I look at it as a hour drive for 5 minutes of recreational competition. We do it because of what is at the end of the rainbow.

lucky for me the first two rounds are 30 mins from me. The next round would be the 5 hour drive, if she gets lucky. Have y'all ever made it that far before?

Nope.

lucky for me the first two rounds are 30 mins from me. The next round would be the 5 hour drive, if she gets lucky. Have y'all ever made it that far before?

Nope. Second Round is as far as we have gone.

I don't know why but I enjoy drive chip and putt. It is not golf but I think there is some value to it. The competitor has pressure on every shot esp. the chipping and putting. If you botch any of those you will probably not advance.

2 years ago my son made it to regional which for him was held at Congressional in D.C. It seems completely pointless to go that far for a 10 minute competition but we did it anyways. We had a great time and enjoyed D.C. The bad news was he took 2nd place but the good news is his friend took 1st. So, we got to stick around and enjoyed celebrating the accomplishment with them. Their son made all 3 putts to beat out my son. They are great people so we were very happy for them.

A couple of tips:

1. The putting and chipping is where all the points are. Focus on that. You could put a drive out of bounds and make it up chipping and putting.
  2. Remember that the game is DCP...it is not golf. So on the first putt which is 6'...don't go blowing it 3' past. Die that thing in the cup. Most of the kids hammer that 6' putt and miss out on a lot of points. Save that for the course.
  3. When my son made regional, the chipping for the first 2 rounds were bump and runs. Take a PW and bump it down there and let it roll. Before the regional, He must of hit thousands of bump and runs to get ready. WRONG!!! When we got to Congressional, we were shocked to see the chip setup like a flop shot. You had to carry a hump and land on a down slope. My son was not ready for that. Be ready for any chip which of course is good practice for real golf.

Have fun with it. It is a meaningless competition but like Heavy said...there is something at the end of the rainbow.

My problem is with the DCP is that it doesn't reward the best golfer with the best skills. Palmetto nailed it in his post.

I have my son do putting and chipping games all of the time where you lose points for being short. In tournament golf you don't play to be short. The DCP rewards you for being short and that isn't tournament golf.

Palmetto also nailed it that some places have you pitching, some chipping, and some flopping the ball. Needs to be some consistency.

I think the DCP should be a true skills competition. Straight putts, line putts, chips, pitches, flops, bunkers, curved putts.

Last year the guy who won the DCP in the oldest division wouldn't have beaten the 5th place finisher in an 18 hole match ever. In fact, no one in that division would have come close to beating the 5th place finisher. The 5th place finisher is ranked like top 50 in his class while the others were ranked lower than 4,000.

Honestly, I hate the DCP and what it stands for. It is a competition for the rich uppity ups at Augusta National and the USGA to pat their backs telling them they are promoting the game of golf. Meanwhile it is a 10 minute competition that doesn't reward the best golfer. If the end of the rainbow is a trip to Augusta National, they need to go the extra mile and make it a real competition.

I don't know why but I enjoy drive chip and putt. It is not golf but I think there is some value to it. The competitor has pressure on every shot esp. the chipping and putting. If you botch any of those you will probably not advance.

2 years ago my son made it to regional which for him was held at Congressional in D.C. It seems completely pointless to go that far for a 10 minute competition but we did it anyways. We had a great time and enjoyed D.C. The bad news was he took 2nd place but the good news is his friend took 1st. So, we got to stick around and enjoyed celebrating the accomplishment with them. Their son made all 3 putts to beat out my son. They are great people so we were very happy for them.

A couple of tips:

1. The putting and chipping is where all the points are. Focus on that. You could put a drive out of bounds and make it up chipping and putting.
  2. Remember that the game is DCP...it is not golf. So on the first putt which is 6'...don't go blowing it 3' past. Die that thing in the cup. Most of the kids hammer that 6' putt and miss out on a lot of points. Save that for the course.
  3. When my son made regional, the chipping for the first 2 rounds were bump and runs. Take a PW and bump it down there and let it roll. Before the regional, He must of hit thousands of bump and runs to get ready. WRONG!!! When we got to Congressional, we were shocked to see the chip setup like a flop shot. You had to carry a hump and land on a down slope. My son was not ready for that. Be ready for any chip which of course is good practice for real golf.

Have fun with it. It is a meaningless competition but like Heavy said...there is something at the end of the rainbow.

Thats kinda of what I was wondering. Considering the local and sub regional at the same site I doubt they can change the setup too much. But I figured if we get lucky enough to make it to regionals the chipping might get more challenging. To heavy point my daughter turns 7 next month just started playing golf in April and won pretty easier I might add. Granted she holed first two puts, and her chipping came out of now where I think she got 40 on the chipping, but its still fun. More importantly to me she gained a lot of confidence and she wants to practice more because of it. Just trying to help her prepare for it as much as I can. I love to see her get to regionals in her first attempt.

My problem is with the DCP is that it doesn't reward the best golfer with the best skills. Palmetto nailed it in his post.

I have my son do putting and chipping games all of the time where you lose points for being short. In tournament golf you don't play to be short. The DCP rewards you for being short and that isn't tournament golf.

Palmetto also nailed it that some places have you pitching, some chipping, and some flopping the ball. Needs to be some consistency.

I think the DCP should be a true skills competition. Straight putts, line putts, chips, pitches, flops, bunkers, curved putts.

Last year the guy who won the DCP in the oldest division wouldn't have beaten the 5th place finisher in an 18 hole match ever. In fact, no one in that division would have come close to beating the 5th place finisher. The 5th place finisher is ranked like top 50 in his class while the others were ranked lower than 4,000.

Honestly, I hate the DCP and what it stands for. It is a competition for the rich uppity ups at Augusta National and the USGA to pat their backs telling them they are promoting the game of golf. Meanwhile it is a 10 minute competition that doesn't reward the best golfer. If the end of the rainbow is a trip to Augusta National, they need to go the extra mile and make it a real competition.

The competition is what it is. It's not meant to be a true test of golf and it's not meant to reward the beat golfers. It's a "grow the game" program that is meant, honestly, for the thousands of kids that don't even make it out of locals more than it is for the ones that advance. That it is held at many of the nicest facilities around the country is also in an attempt to entice participation. The kids that aren't any good still get to watch it at Augusta and say "I competed in that".

Tournament golf rewards the best golfers because that's what it intends to do. DCP is trying to grow the game and offers a very cool opportunity throughout. You just have to take it for what it is. We had a kid in 7-9 that finished 7th at USKG world Championship last year but 8th in his local DCP. So, you're point is accurate, but it's missing the point of the program.

I feel DCP IS certainly a game of skill but like a round of golf/tournament golf some luck is involved. And unlike golf you don't have to put the pieces together to score well.

I may be off here but DCP reminds me of all-star break events, be it homerun derby, dunk competition, or 3-point shootout. You don't have to be good at the overall game but good at said specialties, in this case driving, chipping, and putting.

As far as points wise yes driving is what it is, fastest, strongest swinger wins regardless of accuracy, but in chipping and putting regardless if you are long(past) or short(in front) of the hole it doesn't matter since it's a distance circle, you just need to get it close or in the hole to score the most points possible and that's where luck and skill both come into play. For some the skill of reading the line and distance control is natural for others yes it is all luck, but to have a skilled golfer get some luck, that's what is needed.

Now as far as different configurations at the same courses during advanced rounds I'm not sure of since my child only attend one year and did not advance. My child has yet to attend this year. But one thing is for sure it will be fun for all skill levels which does what it's supposed to, "grow the game" but also ignite that competition flame a little more and create those pressure situations.

The competition is what it is. It's not meant to be a true test of golf and it's not meant to reward the beat golfers. It's a "grow the game" program that is meant, honestly, for the thousands of kids that don't even make it out of locals more than it is for the ones that advance. That it is held at many of the nicest facilities around the country is also in an attempt to entice participation. The kids that aren't any good still get to watch it at Augusta and say "I competed in that".

Tournament golf rewards the best golfers because that's what it intends to do. DCP is trying to grow the game and offers a very cool opportunity throughout. You just have to take it for what it is. We had a kid in 7-9 that finished 7th at USKG world Championship last year but 8th in his local DCP. So, you're point is accurate, but it's missing the point of the program.

This is where I think you are wrong. It WAS about growing the game. It is now about TV revenue the Sunday before the tournament. They exploit these kids for their own gain. If it were truly about "growing the game" they wouldn't televise it.

This is where I think you are wrong. It WAS about growing the game. It is now about TV revenue the Sunday before the tournament. They exploit these kids for their own gain. If it were truly about "growing the game" they wouldn't televise it.

Televising it is what gets kids to see it and make them want to do it. This isn't complicated.

I'm conflicted on this... my son plays with Carter every once in a while and he thought it was super cool to see someone he knows on TV. That being said, I also think it's fodder for parents that see other kids there and want to somehow live their dreams through the kids efforts. Where it backfires is when a kid with no experience wants to try it out and they're going up against kids that actually practice, have tournament experience, etc. and it ends up just absolutely deflating them when they end up with 54 points and the leaders are at 129.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Televising it is what gets kids to see it and make them want to do it. This isn't complicated.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The kids that are playing tournament golf and have an interest I am sure watch or have it on at some point. Many other kids it is just because their parents sign them up and have seen the commercials on TV. I would say a good portion of the kids have never even seen the actual competition and have only briefly watched golf at all. Playing in the DCP pretty much goes like this.

Parent: Do you want to play in the DCP?

Kid: I don't know.

Parent: If you do well you can take me to Augusta.

Kid: Ok. I guess so.

I don't see TV as being a factor for making the kids want to participate. It is for the adults.

I'm conflicted on this... my son plays with Carter every once in a while and he thought it was super cool to see someone he knows on TV. That being said, I also think it's fodder for parents that see other kids there and want to somehow live their dreams through the kids efforts. Where it backfires is when a kid with no experience wants to try it out and they're going up against kids that actually practice, have tournament experience, etc. and it ends up just absolutely deflating them when they end up with 54 points and the leaders are at 129.

We have played with a couple of the kids that have been to the competition. Nashawn Tyson being one and he is a really good player. We know Alexa Pano. There was also a kid that we know and have played with that my son beats like a drum in tournaments.

I don't even think the competition helps grow the game. The game is going out and playing the game. The DCP competition is a recreational activity that really doesn't even showcase skill. If they want to grow the game show kids in competition. However, it isn't about that because they wouldn't make any money showing a kids 18 hole competition on TV.

We have played with a couple of the kids that have been to the competition. Nashawn Tyson being one and he is a really good player. We know Alexa Pano. There was also a kid that we know and have played with that my son beats like a drum in tournaments.

I don't even think the competition helps grow the game. The game is going out and playing the game. The DCP competition is a recreational activity that really doesn't even showcase skill. If they want to grow the game show kids in competition. However, it isn't about that because they wouldn't make any money showing a kids 18 hole competition on TV.

Lighten up Francis!

Ever heard of punt, pass, and kick? It's not football, it's a skills competition. And yes, DCP is not tournament golf, but it's a great skills competition. While there may be kids who are pushed into it (just as there will be in any sport - don't get me started on some of those baseball dads), I took my son to watch the local competition this year (he was too young but loves golf) and he's very excited about participating next year. And the kids I saw competing all looked like they were enjoying themselves.

My son has been dragging me out to practice chipping and putting, so the competition has been a positive influence on him (more adults should be practicing the short game), and I love every second of it. The best golfer will not always advance, but the kids who perform best, under pressure, for those few shots have a chance, even if they can't shoot under par. And that brings in kids who may not play AJGA, but have a chance to shine in DCP. And that can grow the game!

Finally, it's wonderful what Augusta National does to support it. Some of those kids will never step foot there again, but they get a chance to putt on the 18th green with a gallery. Those "rich uppity ups" don't have to give their time and course to the kids but they do. I'm done now.

Lighten up Francis!

Ever heard of punt, pass, and kick? It's not football, it's a skills competition. And yes, DCP is not tournament golf, but it's a great skills competition. While there may be kids who are pushed into it (just as there will be in any sport - don't get me started on some of those baseball dads), I took my son to watch the local competition this year (he was too young but loves golf) and he's very excited about participating next year. And the kids I saw competing all looked like they were enjoying themselves.

My son has been dragging me out to practice chipping and putting, so the competition has been a positive influence on him (more adults should be practicing the short game), and I love every second of it. The best golfer will not always advance, but the kids who perform best, under pressure, for those few shots have a chance, even if they can't shoot under par. And that brings in kids who may not play AJGA, but have a chance to shine in DCP. And that can grow the game!

Finally, it's wonderful what Augusta National does to support it. Some of those kids will never step foot there again, but they get a chance to putt on the 18th green with a gallery. Those "rich uppity ups" don't have to give their time and course to the kids but they do. I'm done now.

Nice STRIPES quote. :rofl:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Here is how our conversation went:

Parent: Do you want to play in the DCP?

Kid: I don't know.

Parent: I want to go to Augusta so you are doing it.

Kid: Ok. I guess so.

:ban:

:taunt:

Love it.

Mine went more like this.

Me: Do you want to do DCP?

Son: Not really.

Me: OK. I don't have a problem with that.

Son: What am I doing on that day.

Me: Nothing.

Son: Ok. I guess so. I don't have anything else to do.

Me: Ok. I will sign you up.

Two days later

Me: I signed you up for the DCP and your sister is taking you.

Son: Do I have to go?

Me: I already signed you up because you told me to.

Son: At least you aren't wasting your gas. She has to waste hers.

• 2 weeks later...

All three of my daughters competed in DCP this year. 2 of the three made it. The best of the 3 did not, but she did not have a great day putting.

I agree that it is as much luck as skill. My daughter that did not make it is by far the better of the three. If she was 1 foot closer on 1 putt, she would have been an alternate. My youngest daughter, who just started playing, made all of her points on putting and qualified in 3rd (she literally had 3 points driving, 3 points chipping).

That being said, this is something fun we encourage our girls to do for fun. It's free. It's a chance for the to compete (and for my oldest two, see friends the have made playing US Kids Golf local tour). If we make it out of locals, the next level is still about having a fun family trip and that's it. No pressure to advance.

My oldest almost made it to regionals last year. She tied for 1st in putting, was 4th in chipping. She hit 2 drives OB (trying to fight the wind). Had one landed in, she would have advanced. She was happy to get one of the medals and we considered it a success.

• 3 weeks later...

My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta :). Im super stoked and proud of him.

Congrats! Got to be proud.

To me, the DCP is kind of like stepping up to the first tee. You could make birdie, or double bogey sometimes before the round really gets going. It's just too much of a crap shoot for most players. Doesn't show case what their real talent is and rewards way too much for luck. With that said, it's a lot of fun, free, and my kid really enjoys it.

My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta :). Im super stoked and proud of him.

That's awesome. My son made it to regionals as well. We'll be at Carlton Woods. Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations. However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018. Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.

Congrats!!!

MIne didnt qualify for Regionals, she placed 4th at her Sub-Regionals but since she only been playing since Mid April she by far exceeded any expectations I had. She was only 6 at the time by far one of the youngest. She loved doing them she asked me the other day when the next one was. Good luck everyone!!