Drive, Chip & Put

24
4

Comments

  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1572WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 6, 2017 #32
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Im super stoked and proud of him.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's awesome. My son made it to regionals as well. We'll be at Carlton Woods. Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations. However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018. Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Did you get your e-mail today? <br />
    <br />
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited about the Regional qualifier. This is his first go at DPC so I'm a bit surprised he even made it this far. My kid will be one of the youngest there so the odds are against us. I know a few of the kids who will be at our Regional and most of these kids are very very good players.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Congrats it sounds like a blast if you can make it all the way. I still have very mixed feelings about drive chip and putt. For the most part it a fun ride for the winners but it really more luck then skill at the younger ages. It really a different game to win then actual golf.<br />
    <br />
    If they miss one putt or chip it is pretty much over with no chance to recover. Even worse is to see them do a long drive but not count because it is out of bounds and lose to someone who is 100 yards less.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9385WRX Points: 869Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,385 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #33
    tiger1873 wrote:
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Im super stoked and proud of him.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's awesome. My son made it to regionals as well. We'll be at Carlton Woods. Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations. However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018. Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Did you get your e-mail today? <br />
    <br />
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited about the Regional qualifier. This is his first go at DPC so I'm a bit surprised he even made it this far. My kid will be one of the youngest there so the odds are against us. I know a few of the kids who will be at our Regional and most of these kids are very very good players.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Congrats it sounds like a blast if you can make it all the way. I still have very mixed feelings about drive chip and putt. For the most part it a fun ride for the winners but it really more luck then skill at the younger ages. It really a different game to win then actual golf.<br />
    <br />
    If they miss one putt or chip it is pretty much over with no chance to recover. Even worse is to see them do a long drive but not count because it is out of bounds and lose to someone who is 100 yards less.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I agree. A lot of luck is involved...just like in real golf. I do think that once you reach regionals, most of the kids can actually play. I also know really good golfers who got knocked out on the first round. <br />
    Regardless, it will be fun to visit Torrey Pines. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members  289WRX Points: 120Posts: 289 Greens
    Joined:  #34
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I agree. A lot of luck is involved...just like in real golf. I do think that once you reach regionals, most of the kids can actually play. I also know really good golfers who got knocked out on the first round. <br />
    Regardless, it will be fun to visit Torrey Pines. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    What day/time is that regional? We're thinking of stopping by to cheer you guys on.
    Posted:
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members  160WRX Points: 134Posts: 160 Fairways
    Joined:  #35
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    My son just made it past the sub regionals today. Awesome day putting and chipping couln't be any worse. Driving for him is just meh since he is one of the youngest in his age group. All he has to do is get lucky next month and its on to Augusta <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Im super stoked and proud of him.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's awesome. My son made it to regionals as well. We'll be at Carlton Woods. Funny thing, My son has an April birthday, which makes him pretty young in almost all competitive golf situations. However, the DCP cutoff is age as of 4/1/2018. Well, my son turns 10 on 4/3/2018, so he is basically the oldest kid in the 7-9 division.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I did. Worked out well for us. My class reunion is next weekend and was gonna have to miss. I'm fine with the October date. I honestly thought they would've tried to protect the date and consider moving it to Dallas or something. In any event, worked out for us. <br />
    <br />
    Did you get your e-mail today? <br />
    <br />
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit excited about the Regional qualifier. This is his first go at DPC so I'm a bit surprised he even made it this far. My kid will be one of the youngest there so the odds are against us. I know a few of the kids who will be at our Regional and most of these kids are very very good players.<br />
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #36
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.
    Posted:
  • md1mmd1m Members  800WRX Points: 96Posts: 800 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #37
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."
    Posted:
    Clubs are fluid
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #38
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It is not a skill competition. It is not a skill competition. It is not a skills competition.<br />
    <br />
    A skills competition is going to measure more than a drive, a chip, and a putt. It is a recreational activity that takes just as much luck as it does take skill to advance. At the end of the day the number on the scorecard does not lie playing 18 holes. A skills competition is going to cover bunker play, pitch play, lob shots, wedge shots, iron shots, etc. A player like Alexa Pano, Allan Kornikova, etc. has no pressure in this recreational activity.
    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1838WRX Points: 1,161Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #39
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The only difference being that football is a team sport whereas golf is an individual sport. You can compare the two events similarly but the sports are 180 degree opposites.
    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • md1mmd1m Members  800WRX Points: 96Posts: 800 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #40
    leezer99 wrote:
    <br />
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The only difference being that football is a team sport whereas golf is an individual sport. You can compare the two events similarly but the sports are 180 degree opposites.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think my comparison of the individual skills competitions of punt, pass, and kick vs drive, pitch, and putt was a good comparison of how one could excel at an individual skills competition without being the best overall player at that sport. But thank you for pointing out that one is a team sport. I did not know that before.
    Posted:
    Clubs are fluid
  • NolesNoles Members  1632WRX Points: 247Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #41
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #42
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    This^^^^^^<br />
    <br />
    The DCP has a lot of flaws.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1572WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #43
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Another thing very flawed is kids will travel to compete if there in a very competitive area. I know one kid traveled to Minnesota to qualify from Texas. She would have been probably eliminated if she competed in Texas but up there she beat the competition. She done this for a few years and last time qualified all the way Augusta.<br />
    <br />
    Looking at the points it amazing how different regions are in points. Down here you would need 120 points to advance to the second round but up north you can go to Augusta is you are above 110. <br />
    <br />
    To me it's not worth the expense of traveling and too short of a contest for stuff like that. I would rather pay the money to one the bigger junior tournaments like US kids or IMG. I think those might be fun but at the same time I am thinking perhaps taking my kids on a Golf trip to Scotland or Ireland might even be a better plan since none these really matter.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #44
    tiger1873 wrote:
    <br />
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Another thing very flawed is kids will travel to compete if there in a very competitive area. I know one kid traveled to Minnesota to qualify from Texas. She would have been probably eliminated if she competed in Texas but up there she beat the competition. She done this for a few years and last time qualified all the way Augusta.<br />
    <br />
    Looking at the points it amazing how different regions are in points. Down here you would need 120 points to advance to the second round but up north you can go to Augusta is you are above 110.<br />
    <br />
    To me it's not worth the expense of traveling and too short of a contest for stuff like that. I would rather pay the money to one the bigger junior tournaments like US kids or IMG. I think those might be fun but at the same time I am thinking perhaps taking my kids on a Golf trip to Scotland or Ireland might even be a better plan since none these really matter.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Our Sub-regional one year had a kid that finished 5th in the country with points. He finished 3rd in the sub and went home. The point system and how kids advance is very flawed.<br />
    <br />
    We played a regional a couple of years and they set up the drive where there was a mound in the middle of the range to hit your drives. I saw a couple of kids hit perfect drives into the middle of the so called fairway. Ball hit the side of the mounds and went OB. Certain things I have seen at the DCP are head scratchers.
    Posted:
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members  1508WRX Points: 92Posts: 1,508 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #45
    <br />
    tiger1873 wrote:
    <br />
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Another thing very flawed is kids will travel to compete if there in a very competitive area. I know one kid traveled to Minnesota to qualify from Texas. She would have been probably eliminated if she competed in Texas but up there she beat the competition. She done this for a few years and last time qualified all the way Augusta.<br />
    <br />
    Looking at the points it amazing how different regions are in points. Down here you would need 120 points to advance to the second round but up north you can go to Augusta is you are above 110.<br />
    <br />
    To me it's not worth the expense of traveling and too short of a contest for stuff like that. I would rather pay the money to one the bigger junior tournaments like US kids or IMG. I think those might be fun but at the same time I am thinking perhaps taking my kids on a Golf trip to Scotland or Ireland might even be a better plan since none these really matter.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Our Sub-regional one year had a kid that finished 5th in the country with points. He finished 3rd in the sub and went home. The point system and how kids advance is very flawed.<br />
    <br />
    We played a regional a couple of years and they set up the drive where there was a mound in the middle of the range to hit your drives. I saw a couple of kids hit perfect drives into the middle of the so called fairway. Ball hit the side of the mounds and went OB. Certain things I have seen at the DCP are head scratchers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    We had the same thing at one of our local DCP events. The younger kids would hit their drives right into the mound, and the bigger kids would sail over it. The 2-3 young kids that could carry it got some serious point gains on the rest of the kids.
    Posted:
    Current Bag:

    G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • NolesNoles Members  1632WRX Points: 247Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #46
    I've seen bunkers in the middle of the "fairway" that they had marked off in the practice range. Kids drives stopped dead in the bunker...that's fair.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #47
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    I've seen bunkers in the middle of the "fairway" that they had marked off in the practice range. Kids drives stopped dead in the bunker...that's fair.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    WOW
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1572WRX Points: 382Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Oct 10, 2017 #48
    <br />
    tiger1873 wrote:
    <br />
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    It's a free competition. It has its flaws. The scoring is flawed. The way it is administered is often flawed. But it means nothing and is not worth getting upset about.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Another thing very flawed is kids will travel to compete if there in a very competitive area. I know one kid traveled to Minnesota to qualify from Texas. She would have been probably eliminated if she competed in Texas but up there she beat the competition. She done this for a few years and last time qualified all the way Augusta.<br />
    <br />
    Looking at the points it amazing how different regions are in points. Down here you would need 120 points to advance to the second round but up north you can go to Augusta is you are above 110.<br />
    <br />
    To me it's not worth the expense of traveling and too short of a contest for stuff like that. I would rather pay the money to one the bigger junior tournaments like US kids or IMG. I think those might be fun but at the same time I am thinking perhaps taking my kids on a Golf trip to Scotland or Ireland might even be a better plan since none these really matter.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Our Sub-regional one year had a kid that finished 5th in the country with points. He finished 3rd in the sub and went home. The point system and how kids advance is very flawed.<br />
    <br />
    We played a regional a couple of years and they set up the drive where there was a mound in the middle of the range to hit your drives. I saw a couple of kids hit perfect drives into the middle of the so called fairway. Ball hit the side of the mounds and went OB. Certain things I have seen at the DCP are head scratchers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Same thing happened to my daughter and her competitor as well at sub-regionals. The one here was was more narrow the longer you hit it and mounds and bunkers all over the place in the marked off fairway. Even worse the other girl she was with hit a really long drive and the judge missed it so they just guessed where it landed and cut off about 30 yards from the drive. It was really unfair and hard to believe they wouldn't let her re-hit.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Oct 10, 2017 #49
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    leezer99 wrote:
    <br />
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The only difference being that football is a team sport whereas golf is an individual sport. You can compare the two events similarly but the sports are 180 degree opposites.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think my comparison of the individual skills competitions of punt, pass, and kick vs drive, pitch, and putt was a good comparison of how one could excel at an individual skills competition without being the best overall player at that sport. But thank you for pointing out that one is a team sport. I did not know that before.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    These are several of the reasons this is not a skills competition.<br />
    <br />
    1. When playing tournament golf you teach the golfer to run the putt by 2-4 feet and 6 feet is acceptable on lag putts. On very rare occasions do you ever want the ball short. DCP rewards the player for putting the ball short. Leaving the ball short is not skill. Making the come back putt is skill.<br />
    <br />
    2. When playing tournament golf you teach the golfer to run the ball by 2-4 feet and 6 feet is acceptable. On very rare occasions do you ever want the ball short. DCP rewards the player for chipping the ball short. Leaving the ball short is not skill. Making the comeback putt is skill.<br />
    <br />
    3. The point system in the younger divisions take skill out of the Drive portion of this competition. All you need to do is take a 7i and put the ball in play. The Title says DRIVE, Chip, and Putt.<br />
    <br />
    4. The chip is not always a chip in this competition. The title doesn't say Drive, Pitch, and Putt. It also doesn't say Drive, Flop Shot, and Putt. The title says CHIP. Half of the competitions we have been to have been Drive, PITCH, and Putt.<br />
    <br />
    5. Back to the DRIVE. Skill would mean that you have to hit the ball a certain yardage, while getting the ball airborne, and keeping it in play. Have seen kids skull the ball only to hit the ground and roll 50 yards for points. This is not skill.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NolesNoles Members  1632WRX Points: 247Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #50
    <br />
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    leezer99 wrote:
    <br />
    md1m wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    This competition is a thing of luck. Was looking at the regional winners. Alexa Pano lost to a girl that has only been golfing for two years. Get them on the course and it isn't even close. Surfed over to the 12-13 year old boy's and there was only one kid there that was a really good golfer. Looked at the 14-15 year old division and there were only 2.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It's a skills competition, and they have to perform under pressure or go home. Using the same analogy that I used before, punt, pass, and kick is not won by the "best football player", but it's a worthy and fun competition. I can just picture the dads on the football forums saying "Yeah, but my kid can beat your kid in real football."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The only difference being that football is a team sport whereas golf is an individual sport. You can compare the two events similarly but the sports are 180 degree opposites.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think my comparison of the individual skills competitions of punt, pass, and kick vs drive, pitch, and putt was a good comparison of how one could excel at an individual skills competition without being the best overall player at that sport. But thank you for pointing out that one is a team sport. I did not know that before.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    These are several of the reasons this is not a skills competition.<br />
    <br />
    1. When playing tournament golf you teach the golfer to run the putt by 2-4 feet and 6 feet is acceptable on lag putts. On very rare occasions do you ever want the ball short. DCP rewards the player for putting the ball short. Leaving the ball short is not skill. Making the come back putt is skill.<br />
    <br />
    2. When playing tournament golf you teach the golfer to fun the ball by 2-4 feet and 6 feet is acceptable. On very rare occasions do you ever want the ball short. DCP rewards the player for chipping the ball short. Leaving the ball short is not skill. Making the comeback putt is skill.<br />
    <br />
    3. The point system in the younger divisions take skill out of the Drive portion of this competition. All you need to do is take a 7i and put the ball in play. The Title says DRIVE, Chip, and Putt.<br />
    <br />
    4. The chip is not always a chip in this competition. The title doesn't say Drive, Pitch, and Putt. It also doesn't say Drive, Flop Shot, and Putt. The title says CHIP. Half of the competitions we have been to have been Drive, PITCH, and Putt.<br />
    <br />
    5. Back to the DRIVE. Skill would mean that you have to hit the ball a certain yardage, while getting the ball airborne, and keeping it in play. Have seen kids skull the ball only to hit the ground and roll 50 yards for points. This is not skill.<br />
    I agree with #1 but completely disagree with #2. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • TimberBeastTimberBeast Members  38WRX Points: 0Posts: 38
    Joined:  edited Oct 11, 2017 #51
    I haven't been a big fan of it since my daughter started doing it a few years ago, it has many flaws, but it is what it is. I've said since the first time she did it, throw in a 5 or 6 iron and you will see a lot different results.
    Posted:
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9385WRX Points: 869Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,385 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #52
    Say what you want about dpc, but they are well run events and truth be told, all of us will have our kids participating in years to come for the sole reason that we want to visit augusta. Lol
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NolesNoles Members  1632WRX Points: 247Posts: 1,632 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #53
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    Say what you want about dpc, but they are well run events and truth be told, all of us will have our kids participating in years to come for the sole reason that we want to visit augusta. Lol<br />
    The ones that I have been to are not well run and my 13 year old didn't even bother this year because of it. He chose to play at our club with his friends instead.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #54
    Noles wrote:
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    Say what you want about dpc, but they are well run events and truth be told, all of us will have our kids participating in years to come for the sole reason that we want to visit augusta. Lol<br />
    The ones that I have been to are not well run and my 13 year old didn't even bother this year because of it. He chose to play at our club with his friends instead.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Same
    Posted:
  • NoahlongbombsNoahlongbombs Members  3WRX Points: 0Handicap: 1Posts: 3
    Joined:  #55
    Anyone know the cost involved in this?<br />
    <br />
    My son is almost old enough to start competing. <br />
    <br />
    Thanks
    Posted:
  • hangontighthangontight Members  740WRX Points: 201Posts: 740 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #56
    <br />
    Anyone know the cost involved in this?<br />
    <br />
    My son is almost old enough to start competing. <br />
    <br />
    Thanks<br />
    <br /><br />Free
    Posted:
  • CTgolfCTgolf Banned  572WRX Points: 196Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #57
    My son competed in DCP when he was 7 and he won the local qualifier.<br />
    <br />
    We drove for 3 hrs (in traffic) to the sectional(?) on a Friday afternoon competing with weekend getaway traffic and another 2hrs back, all so he could ‘perform’ for 10minutes.<br />
    <br />
    He was so tired from the drive on the way there that he wasn’t able to play his best and was disappointed when he didn’t finish near the top.<br />
    <br />
    I guess in hindsight I could have taken a full day off from work, drove him out in the morning and practiced/played/relaxed so he could be in top form to hopefully advance to the regional...NOT. Never again
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX  9385WRX Points: 869Handicap: 4-20Posts: 9,385 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #58
    I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3804WRX Points: 1,113Posts: 3,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #59
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Why not just buy tickets to the Master's then?
    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1838WRX Points: 1,161Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,838 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #60
    <br />
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Why not just buy tickets to the Master's then?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Tickets are given out based on a lottery pick. They say you're not allowed to sell them but I'm sure you can find them on StubHub.<br />
    <br />
    Personally, I'm done with DCP. Our local qualifiers are always packed, done in the hottest months of the year, take hours to complete and last 10 minutes.
    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • darter79darter79 Members  893WRX Points: 309Posts: 893 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #61
    kekoa wrote:
    <br />
    I've heard of some kids who will fly to some podunk town to get through qualifies. For a few it actually worked and they are advancing to Augusta. A lot of time and money.......<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I know of a kid based out of Dallas that does her compititions in Minnesota. No idea why but my only guess to find an easier path. No way I would fly anywhere for a 10 min competition.
    Posted:
4

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.