Golf Course Superintendent Ready to Answer Any Questions You May Have

1131415161719»

Comments

  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 1:52pm #542

    I'm in a high clay area. Clay is very very fine, which is why ponds/lakes are 'cloudy' because the fine particles can stay suspended longer. So when our course fluffs up the sand in the bunkers by raking them with the cart-towed rake, after a few days, they turn 'hard, crusted' again. A USGA-soil/turf guy once told me that if you notice how the bunkers get filled with water on a heavy rain?... yes?.... the clay from the surrounding turf leaches into the bunkers, binds to the sand particles, and literally 'glues them together' to form hard packed, crusty sand. And that the only way to prevent that in our area is to put bunker liners in. Our club looked into it, and wanted that fine white sand you see on tour level courses....cost would be half-million plus for bunker liners (would that be like plastic swimming pools?) plust the expensive sand, so membership is slowly chewing on that thought.

    @seven dewey said:
    Why do some courses have soft fluffy sand that is easy to get out of and others have hard sand that your club just bounces off? I'm sure it has to be a factor of cost/geographical region, but it sure would make golf more fun if it was consistent.

    GHIN Index 13.8
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bulls9999 said:
    Fantastic....
    Question: How come every course (even my own c.c. course), whenever someone is out 'watering the greens' on a hot day, they do it from hole #1 to #18 direction, and sometimes you get the same guyy watering greens, holding you up for 3-5 holes in a row? It happens everywhere...same problem everywhere. Common sense says, if you water greens from hole #18-to-#1 direction, you'll only interfere with any group just once? You need to put that in your golf course maintenance manual.

    @BNGL said:
    Good Afternoon GolfWRX,

    As the title says hit me up with any questions that you may have in relation to golf course agronomy, or why certain practices are done at certain times. Whatever the question you have, if I don't have the answer I will provide it for you.

    Fairways, Greens, and remember to repair your ball marks!

    If you do it 18-1, you (the waterer) are guaranteed to hit (and wait for) every group. Usually you’re not just going in order, you’re just trying to get it done. Hopping from hole to hole where you hope there are gaps. Sometimes that means we hold golfers up, and we’re sorry about it, but sit 20 minutes waiting to do a 3 minute job because Mr. 20 cap won’t hit from 270 until you clear the green.

    Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

    But I can't tell you how many times I've been delayed by the same guy watering greens for 4-5 consecutive holes until some point he goes elsewhere or we pass him completely.

    @James the Hogan Fan said:

    @bulls9999 said:
    Fantastic....
    Question: How come every course (even my own c.c. course), whenever someone is out 'watering the greens' on a hot day, they do it from hole #1 to #18 direction, and sometimes you get the same guyy watering greens, holding you up for 3-5 holes in a row? It happens everywhere...same problem everywhere. Common sense says, if you water greens from hole #18-to-#1 direction, you'll only interfere with any group just once? You need to put that in your golf course maintenance manual.

    @BNGL said:
    Good Afternoon GolfWRX,

    As the title says hit me up with any questions that you may have in relation to golf course agronomy, or why certain practices are done at certain times. Whatever the question you have, if I don't have the answer I will provide it for you.

    Fairways, Greens, and remember to repair your ball marks!

    If you do it 18-1, you (the waterer) are guaranteed to hit (and wait for) every group. Usually you’re not just going in order, you’re just trying to get it done. Hopping from hole to hole where you hope there are gaps. Sometimes that means we hold golfers up, and we’re sorry about it, but sit 20 minutes waiting to do a 3 minute job because Mr. 20 cap won’t hit from 270 until you clear the green.

    GHIN Index 13.8
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bulls9999 said:
    But I can't tell you how many times I've been delayed by the same guy watering greens for 4-5 consecutive holes until some point he goes elsewhere or we pass him completely.

    @James the Hogan Fan said:

    @bulls9999 said:
    Fantastic....
    Question: How come every course (even my own c.c. course), whenever someone is out 'watering the greens' on a hot day, they do it from hole #1 to #18 direction, and sometimes you get the same guyy watering greens, holding you up for 3-5 holes in a row? It happens everywhere...same problem everywhere. Common sense says, if you water greens from hole #18-to-#1 direction, you'll only interfere with any group just once? You need to put that in your golf course maintenance manual.

    @BNGL said:
    Good Afternoon GolfWRX,

    As the title says hit me up with any questions that you may have in relation to golf course agronomy, or why certain practices are done at certain times. Whatever the question you have, if I don't have the answer I will provide it for you.

    Fairways, Greens, and remember to repair your ball marks!

    If you do it 18-1, you (the waterer) are guaranteed to hit (and wait for) every group. Usually you’re not just going in order, you’re just trying to get it done. Hopping from hole to hole where you hope there are gaps. Sometimes that means we hold golfers up, and we’re sorry about it, but sit 20 minutes waiting to do a 3 minute job because Mr. 20 cap won’t hit from 270 until you clear the green.

    Sounds like more than enough! I understand and I'm just trying to defend the guy. Usually the worst times for player interference are when you're hopping from hole to hole and you leave yourself a couple holes right as they get filled by big, slow, boombox blasting foursomes. On the other hand, some of the guys out there (and I'm guilty myself from time to time) just get into the 'zone of oblivion' and aren't paying attention to anything. I do try to go reverse-order whenever possible.

    Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    does anyone have experience win brown ring patch or summer patch?

  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @mallrat said:
    does anyone have experience win brown ring patch or summer patch?

    Yes, typically greens that show brown ring patch are nitrogen deficient so control with fungicides and fert is a pretty potent combination. I’m pretty high on strobis (heritage/insignia) at a curative rate with a little fert to follow.

    Summer patch is a little different, make sure you diagnose it correctly as it has similar appearance to necrotic ring spot. Strobis are good treatment again, but I’ve had good success with something called Banner and another product called Bayleton. BASF did just release a new product called Navicon which is supposed to be the next big thing in fungicides summer patch control was on there and would be a good match as trials have shown it doesn’t ding the turf like bayleton will. Make sure to put out plenty of water with bayleton/banner.

  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    We got it on one of our event lawns, nothing on the course. Our chemical rep came out and looked at it with our Super because we’ve never had it on our property. I went out and sprayed Banner, 28-0-0 and 2 other chemicals that aren’t coming to me right now. The Banner seemed to get rid of it over the weekend. Just something we really didn’t know about having never seen it.

    I thought the rep called it both names though.

  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @mallrat said:
    We got it on one of our event lawns, nothing on the course. Our chemical rep came out and looked at it with our Super because we’ve never had it on our property. I went out and sprayed Banner, 28-0-0 and 2 other chemicals that aren’t coming to me right now. The Banner seemed to get rid of it over the weekend. Just something we really didn’t know about having never seen it.

    I thought the rep called it both names though.

    They can look similar and be treated with similar products, they are both part of the fungi kingdom and ascomycota division but then beach off at the class level; summer pitch is sordariomycetea BRP escapes me right now but that’s why diagnosis is so important because they may look similar but be treated differently

  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    BNGL did you leave your club? Saw an ad on GCSAA for the course I thought you were at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file