Directed Force...who still likes it?

Comments

• jut111jut111 Members  1759WRX Points: 341Posts: 1,759 Platinum Tees
    Still going strong with my Directed Force 1.0.

5 rounds into the season, high number of putts in a round is 32. 34 was my career low number in Putts before the directed force.

I'm not much of a club ho (please don't revoke my wrx membership) but I can't see this thing ever leaving the bag.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HsteadHstead Members  6347WRX Points: 197Posts: 6,347 Titanium Tees
    My DF is still in the bag.. Over two years now I guess. Not going anywhere any time soon either.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
    Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
    Titleist 818 H1
    Mizuno 919 Tour 6-P, 5 Forged, 4 Hot Metal KBS Tour X
    Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
    Edel
    Snell
  • AaronAppsAaronApps Members  54WRX Points: 0Posts: 54
    A buddy gave me one of these to mess around with, but its way too upright for me. Is it possible to have it bent somewhere or does it need to be fit/built from scratch?
    Posted:
  • osubuckeyes691osubuckeyes691 Columbus, OHMembers  1227WRX Points: 379Handicap: 1.9Posts: 1,227 Platinum Tees
    AaronApps wrote:

A buddy gave me one of these to mess around with, but its way too upright for me. Is it possible to have it bent somewhere or does it need to be fit/built from scratch?
    '

You cannot manually bed these putters. From what I understand, the lie angle is drilled in to the head at the exact angle required
    Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 8* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
    Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
    Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
    Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
    Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS, 54SS, 60Eye2
    Taylormade Spider X Tour - Stability Tour - Evnroll Gravity Grip   /   Yes! Sally12 Long Putter / Yes! Sally12 Std - Evnroll Gravity Grip
  • cfunk11cfunk11 Members  284WRX Points: 58Handicap: 15Posts: 284 Greens
    AaronApps wrote:

What is the lie on your DF, I have a DF that is at 67*which is a little flat for me.
    Posted:
  • cfunk11cfunk11 Members  284WRX Points: 58Handicap: 15Posts: 284 Greens

AaronApps wrote:

'

You cannot manually bed these putters. From what I understand, the lie angle is drilled in to the head at the exact angle required
    I tried manually bed the wife, no luck with that either.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AaronAppsAaronApps Members  54WRX Points: 0Posts: 54
    cfunk11 wrote:

AaronApps wrote:

What is the lie on your DF, I have a DF that is at 67*which is a little flat for me.

I DMed you.
    Posted:
  • jut111jut111 Members  1759WRX Points: 341Posts: 1,759 Platinum Tees
    They are weighted to the lie angle, so bending would defeat the purpose. Send them an email, may be able to reconfigure to your specs.
    Posted:
  • Peter_bPeter_b Members  561WRX Points: 85Handicap: 5Posts: 561 Golden Tee

Id like to get this putter but not with the forward press grip. Adressing the ball with negative loft is not for my putting style. I am using the Kotahi grip, the one you saw on Ernies putter at the Open, and would like to put that on the DFP. My question would be what is the weight of that forward press grip? As I understand I can not just augment the grip weight or I will change the balancing?

Posted:

PS: misunderstood the lofting read this in another thread:

Bill Presse IV here... the newer 2.1 has 2* loft to sole plate. The shaft remains the same at 1.5* forward lean. The Press grip has 3* tilt. I'm here to answer any and all questions! Thank you

With Pressgrip its 2 + 1.5 - 3 = 0.5* that’s low to get the ball up a bit out of the green, but will have good roll aka topsin because your rise is likely to be higher than your dynamic loft. Rise>loft is the rule for good roll.

If you put on your own 0* grip and center hands, you will have 2 + 1.5 - 0* = 3.5* loft . Loft is taking the ball out of the turf but if you are arcing a lot your rise will stay below that 3.5* loft. You need 4* rise at impact to topsin that ball when you mount your own grip. That’s a lot if you center the shaft at adress and swing it on a natural arc with shoulders.

So I asked to drill the putter with 0* shaftlean hoping its not too late. I hope they even do that which should be possible with a putter of this price range.

Posted:

PPS: OK I get it, the shaft has to be positioned away from the face of the putter so it stays balanced throughout the swing (negative offset). So the 1.5* shaft and the 3* grip brings the hands over the face of the putter again.
    I don't see a problem though centering a 0* shaft and having the ball a bit left because of the negative offset. If it’s a clean putting arc the ball will start on the line.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • UHFootballFeedUHFootballFeed Members  3WRX Points: 14Posts: 3 Starters

I believe effective MOI, the MOI experienced by the golfer, is affected by the grip position in relation to the face. There are videos where RIfe explains this on the Evnroll tour stroke trainer.

So the press grip gets the hands slightly in front of the face of the DF Reno, aiding MOI. Taking the press grip off and going to a traditional putter grip would worsen effective MOI, unless you forward pressed yourelf. But that de-lofts the putter, and gets the back edge off the ground.

Posted:
  • bobgeorgebobgeorge Members  423WRX Points: 64Posts: 423 Greens

With the DF Reno do you have to change the ball position?

Posted:
    Ping G400 w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
    Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
    Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
    Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
    Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
    L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

Yeah, shaft needs to be centred between feet.

Posted:
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members  2118WRX Points: 293Posts: 2,118 Platinum Tees

I finally dropped it and switched to a spider......I gave it a good long run of over a year but I could never get comfortable with the alignment on the course. I may go back eventually as it did roll the ball exceptionally well and I could roll it on-line pretty easily. For me the club always looked closed when set up square and I would shove my right shoulder under to to prevent a pull. On the practice green it didn't happen and I could make 100 putts in a row easily. On the course, the compensations kicked in big time.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

So it was trust issues. :)

Posted:

Advertisement
    Posted:
  • gbowergbower Members  35WRX Points: 62Posts: 35 Bunkers

I've only had mine a few weeks and it has taken a bit of getting used to. As I've had a yips issue I am having to grip the putter as if I'm holding a bubble which is working pretty good now. The odd long putt I'll tend to grip it too tight. Distance control has also taken some practice but getting down pretty good lately and my last three rounds have been my best putting rounds in a couple of years and the putts made weren't all tap ins as my chipping has been leaving me too far away.

Posted:
  • kylesilkkylesilk PXG & Yeti Members  698WRX Points: 131Posts: 698 Golden Tee

Is there any kind of reasoning for picking a certain alignment aid for these putters? I'm a left eye dominant RH putter.

Posted:
    915 D3 Diamana D+ 70S
    913f , 913h
    712u 4 iron Pro Modus 120 S
    714 CB 5,6,7...714 MB 8-P ProModus 120S
    Vokey TVD 52,60 M..TVD 56K
    Studio Select Newport 1.5

Perhaps the best aspect of the putter for me is the distance control....once you get used to it...and it took me a couple months.....the distance control is amazing. 40-60ft putts were literally easy. The presse grip is definitely odd....I get the concept but I feel like the oval sits weirdly in the hands.

Posted:
  • 5baytjd5baytjd Members  63WRX Points: 38Posts: 63 Bunkers

The Press 2.M grip is flat along the top side, (instead of the oval of the Press OG), which makes it way easier for me to get set up square. Order one of the Press 2.M for your DF 2.1 if the OG doesn't work for you, I'll bet it makes a world of difference for you.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  444WRX Points: 265Posts: 444 Greens

Those are cool looking putters. They almost look more like a gate ornament than a golf club.

Posted:

I think I've seen Sam (CEO of L.A.B. Golf) give input on this before, but don't remember what it was. Email them at [email protected] and they'll give you that answer.

Posted:

Bottle opener, and Starship Enterprise are the other most common comparisons. Their new B.2 blade is much more conventional looking, but a bit less forgiving for off-center strokes than the DF 2.1, so all depends if that is an issue for you or not.

Posted:
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Wisconsin Proud Members  1142WRX Points: 176Posts: 1,142 Platinum Tees

I could not figure out the distance control on this putter. I have an older non 2.1 DF and it felt like the face had hot spots which really bothered me, sometimes id fly one way by, and other times way short, to my surprise and it wasnt an issue with my other putters when I was comparing them side by side.

im also very right eye dominant and so I keep the putter up by my left foot and it seems the DF isnt very responsive to that, ive seen a lot of talk that it needs to basically be centered.

I really feel like I gave it a good try, and hit some good putts inside of 10 feet, as a lot of you have said it gets really automatic inside of 6 feet. But the issue was the amount of putts greater than 6 feet I was leaving myself because of very poor distance control.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Standard Tensei Pro White 70TX 44.5"
    Titleist 16.5* TS3 Diamana White 80TX
    Titleist 19.5* TS2 Ventus Blue 8X
    Titleist 24.5* TS3 Hybrid 38.25" Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Cobra King Forged CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Glide 3.0 51-55-60 Project X LZ 6.5 125g
    Ping Sigma 2 Wolverine H 34.5"

If you couldn't make 100 in a row with the spider, it might be time for a sports psychologist... 🤣

Posted:

Advertisement

They also suggest practicing without your thumbs on the putter, which helps loosen the grip as well.

Posted:
  • whiteretrowhiteretro Members  282WRX Points: 61Posts: 282 Greens

Is there a difference in ball position for RH - Right eye dominant vs RH - Left eye dominant?

Is there a difference in ball position for RH - Right hand low vs RH - Left hand low?

The Presse 2M grip is definitely needed to get maximum efficiency of the putter?

How does counter balancing affect this putter?

Posted:

The 2.1 and particularly the 2.1T with the tungsten weighting, made a great improvement in the areas you found the non-2.1 lacking. Should you get a chance to try a 2.1T in your specs, I think you would be well pleased with the distance control.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kenstlkenstl Members  477WRX Points: 88Handicap: 7Posts: 477 Greens

I am a newbie as I just got my Blad2 DF a couple of weeks ago. I have played one 9 hole round, and practiced with it a number of times thus far both indoor and outdoor. I am definitely in the honeymoon period as I love it so far. You definitely have to hit this one in the center of the face as off center strikes do not feel as solid and sharp.

I had 15 putts on my 9 hole round, 5 GIR, all birdie putts were over 20', all pars and one bogey. The best part was that I made 3 putts to get up and down from 4-5' on 3 holes. Those are the putts I have been looking for improvement on so I was excited about making those.

Time will tell after playing a number of rounds, but so far I am a fan. I plan on playing it all year which should give me some good stats to compare.

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.