Directed Force...who still likes it?

1235»

Comments

• 5baytjd5baytjd Members  63WRX Points: 38Posts: 63 Bunkers

B.2 blade is not expected to be as forgiving as the 2.1 mallet -- They did their best, but just the design parameters of a blade don't allow as much as can be done on a mallet in that regard.

I am waiting (somewhat patiently) for my B.2 to be delivered, so I can compare it to my current Reno 2.1T. Oh who am I kidding, hurry up and get here!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • huskerturfhuskerturf San Antonio, TXMembers  218WRX Points: 108Posts: 218 Fairways

When did you order yours? Ordered mine March 6. Hopefully get it soon.

Posted:
  • nova6868nova6868 Members  4956WRX Points: 311Handicap: 2.1Posts: 4,956 Titanium Tees

Don't get me wrong, I think MOI is somewhat over-rated on putters.

But has anyone actually tested the MOI of these putters? Not just that you tried it and found it "forgiving" but actually tested it. What's the number?

Because I have been looking into these more since the B2 came out, but the way the shaft goes into the center of the head and the head spins very freely and easily around the shaft makes me think the MOI is actually really low. Doesn't seem like there would be much resistance to twisting at all.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2449WRX Points: 1,429Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,449 ClubWRX

Has anyone had good luck with getting a good fit to this putter using remote video fitting option rather than an in person fitting? Thanks.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow

I got one of the factory seconds from the bay (which were already boxed up and ready to ship, per my correspondence with them); and amazingly it was delivered via UPS Ground THE NEXT DAY. SF Bay Area reasonably close to Reno, NV, but the initial shipping info was given as 5 to 7 days, and instead it took TWO. Stoked to get it. Now just have to start feeling better and have the shelter-in-place order lifted so I can go try it.

Posted:
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2449WRX Points: 1,429Handicap: +0.9Posts: 2,449 ClubWRX
    Posted:

Here is what Sam Hahn (CEO of L.A.B. Golf) answered in the Q&A session earlier this week on Golf WRX:

We are finding that for avid golfers, the remote fitting is actually MORE accurate. We have had no issues at all with the remote fitting and a handful with in person fittings. The Fitting instrument for in person is great but a lot of times when people are under the pressure of time for the fitting itself, they start to "chase" and question their own set up. With the remote fitting, you are in your own home with your own putter. If we see anything egregious, we get in contact and have you shoot another video but this is rare.

Posted:
    Post edited by 5baytjd on

Not sure I understand the physics of your question. If you are essentially hitting the ball with the end of the shaft (center-shafted) wouldn't that be the most stable way to hit a ball? Mounting a shaft further away from that midpoint inherently creates torque, does it not?

Posted:
  • kenstlkenstl Members  477WRX Points: 88Handicap: 7Posts: 477 Greens

I heard at the 3 week mark that mine was done and would be shipped. I received it about 4 days later in the Midwest.

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW

I did the remote fitting and am very satisfied with the fitting. Sent in the video, he thought my specs were high in lie angle and he wanted a better view of the putter shaft. Or shot the video and sent in and we settled on 76 degree upright at 37” for my set up.

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21406WRX Points: 5,361Posts: 21,406 ClubWRX

I did the online fitting for my first one and exchanged some emails with Bill at the time. It worked perfectly for me.

If you can find one to try I strongly suggest it.

I committed to it for the entire 2017 season and used it and really, really liked it. Had the "Reno" now called the DF. Then for 2018 got a Reno 2.1. The only thing that I didn't like over time was the cheapo grip and I see the grips now are a ton nicer, IMO. Still, regular playing companions would tell me they didn't think I was putting as well as I had with my previous putter, but I sure thought I was.

That being said, my love affair lasted only until June of 2018. I started falling out of love on our trip to Scotland that summer and on slower greens, for me, started having some issues with speed and feel when hitting the aluminum head on long putts especially (probably all my fault, btw). One of the caddies loved it. Another one called it a "space machine", lol. Shortly after I got back I was killing time at a golf store in Des Moines and trying all the new putters out that summer and didn't like any of them, then saw a deeply discounted Odyssey Milled RSX V Line Fang in a corner and started hitting putts with it and it fit perfectly and I was making everything. Bought it. Hit with the DF and the Odyssey on a green and haven't hit a putt with either of my DFs since, but they are still lounging around here somewhere doing pretty much nothing (like me this weekend). For whatever reason, my putting overall improved quite a bit when I switched (honeymoon period I figured and that season was cut short with elbow issues), but last summer was best I've putted in a long, long time so for now (!) I've found another "forever" putter.

Posted:
  • BigEx44BigEx44 Members  370WRX Points: 102Handicap: 9.2Posts: 370 Greens
    Posted:
    Post edited by 1t2golf on

Agree, those guys really get in to the weeds on a discussion. Interestingly, they normally do not like center shafted putters but they really liked the measurable results they were seeing in their test

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW

• MattM97MattM97 Members  1258WRX Points: 522Posts: 1,258 Platinum Tees

Anyone have both the mallet and blade? Is there a standout you have for any reason? Also I know the forgiveness of the blade is less than the mallet but what is the blade forgiveness vs any other OTR mallet?

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • Peter_bPeter_b Members  561WRX Points: 85Handicap: 5Posts: 561 Golden Tee

Ya have both, get the mallet much much easier to aim, ball is so far left, you will not focus ball instead lowest point of arc which opens putterface about 1.5 degree

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members  8400WRX Points: 349Handicap: 12.1Posts: 8,400 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

That's what I figured with the ball position most probably don't notice anything behind the shaft on the mallet.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
  • bobgeorgebobgeorge Members  423WRX Points: 64Posts: 423 Greens

I got a DF 2.1 in January. I did a remote fitting and I like what I see so far. I like the roll I get from it and have not had a problem with distance control.

Posted:
    Ping G400 w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
    Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
    Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
    Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
    Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
    L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter
    Posted:
  • Orange HogOrange Hog Members  385WRX Points: 63Handicap: 12Posts: 385 Greens

DF newbie here. My co-worker picked one up a couple weeks ago and his first round out was one of the most incredible putting displays I've ever seen. Being an Edel disciple of sorts I had to roll his DF on the practice green after the round and I was blown away at the feel, alignment and how well the putts stayed on line. That's not to say I don't love my Edel or that it doesn't perform well for me but the DF almost seemed like cheating. Figured I had to try one for myself to see if this thing really works or not.

I ended up with a 34" long, 69* lie angle redhead! I haven't seen the course yet but will get in a couple rounds this week. Just on the practice green in the garage I can already see how this thing holds the line with ease, though.

I average 33-34 putts per round on average so if I can shave off 2-3 per round I'll label this a success.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members  8465WRX Points: 288Handicap: 6Posts: 8,465 Titanium Tees

Anyone find a trick to get speed down? That is what led me away from the first one I had(Reno 2.1). I believe in the tech and am looking at the Blad now to try them again.

Being a lefty I didnt like the grip (lack of) options for me as a P2/Flat cat fan. So the Blad would allow me to use the P2 grip since the shaft offset is so minimal

Posted:
    Titliest 983K 8.5° - DG X100 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300 Hard Stepped
    TM Milled Grind 52° - HiToe 56°/62°
    PXG Gen2 Closer - Gravity Grip
    2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)
  • CBJCBJ Members  1233WRX Points: 123Posts: 1,233 Platinum Tees

Online fitting is very good, I sent my video in and they had questions and asked me to send a second video, Matt and Sam from L.A.B. Gave me a call and we discussed, absolutely great customer service. They definitely got my fitting correct.

Years ago I had the original DF Reno and didn’t care for it at all, decided to give it a try again, I have the DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour Shaft and love the putter, it took a little practice to get the speed down w/ putter, but I’m glad I have gave DF another shot, putting very well with it, I have had the putter for a month. A week ago, I also ordered the DF Blade 2 With the BGT Stability Tour shaft and am looking forward to testing it out against my DF 2.1 Mallet. The DF 2.1 definitely feels better in my opinion that the original DF Reno.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST w/ Accra TZ5 65 M5
    Ping G410 3-wood  w/ Accra TZ6 85 M5
    Titleist T200 #4 iron w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist T100 4-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
    Titliest Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60 w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
    Mizuno M Craft 2 Putter, Directed Force 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
    MG Tour C4 Golf Ball 
  • ryan983ryan983 Members  793WRX Points: 158Handicap: +3Posts: 793 Golden Tee

What are your thoughts on the stability tour shaft in the 2.1?

Posted:
  • CBJCBJ Members  1233WRX Points: 123Posts: 1,233 Platinum Tees

I love the shaft! I live close to BGT headquarters and have been there twice to be fit and tested on Quintic. I am a big believer in the technology, both from L.A.B. Golf and especially BGT. This has been the best combination putter/shaft I have ever had. I have noticed a considerable improvement in my putting since going to the 2.1 w/ stability tour shaft, especially inside 10 ft.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST w/ Accra TZ5 65 M5
    Ping G410 3-wood  w/ Accra TZ6 85 M5
    Titleist T200 #4 iron w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist T100 4-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
    Titliest Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60 w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
    Mizuno M Craft 2 Putter, Directed Force 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
    MG Tour C4 Golf Ball 
  • kfurnokfurno kfurno Members  81WRX Points: 37Handicap: 2Posts: 81 Fairways

Just ordered a B.2; very intrigued and looking to simplify putting. I love Anser 2 shapes but sometimes get in a weird place regarding my ongoing ‘do I forward press or not?’ internal debate!

Posted:
    Taylormade 2016 M1 HZRDUS Black
    Nike Covert Tour 3wd
    Adams Red Hybrid 18 degrees
    Mizuno MP-18SC (5-7) MB (8-PW) KBS C-Taper 120
    Vokey 52,56,60
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Scotty Cameron X5 flowneck (Bastain Milled)

Advertisement
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members  8465WRX Points: 288Handicap: 6Posts: 8,465 Titanium Tees

Anyone compare a B2 with a Seemore MFGP?

Posted:
    Titliest 983K 8.5° - DG X100 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300 Hard Stepped
    TM Milled Grind 52° - HiToe 56°/62°
    PXG Gen2 Closer - Gravity Grip
    2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Being center-shafted, they would likely have less inherent torque than a heel-shafted putter, but I don't believe they are specifically lie angle balanced.

Posted:

So now that you've had your DF for about 5 weeks, what do you think? Make you want to throw rocks at your Edel?

Posted:

Advertisement

Simple question, how does the DF2.1 feel on contact off center? Is it still a solid feeling or do you get a dull kinda impact off the face?

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.