The how many majors will they win question...

Let's all pump the breaks on assuming how many majors the young players will win be they Day, DJ, Jordan, Rory etc...

I see posts popping up asking whether Jordan will win more majors than Tiger and prior to Jordan people asked the same of Rory.

In golf you never know. There are a grand total of 3 professional golfer who have won double digit majors.

Think of this...as great as Arnold Palmer was and he was great...he won 7 majors. He won all of those majors in only a 6 year period and never won a major after those 6 years. He was competitive, he was close but stopped winning.

Ben Hogan won an amazing 9 majors and he only won within a 7 year window of his career.

David Duval was a world conquer when he lost his swing. He was every bit as good as the guys I started this conversation with.

Even Tiger Woods looked like a lock for 19-20 majors and his career arch lasted all of 11 years!!!

My point is we shouldn't assume anything. I hope we get another all time great but more often than not excellence is fleeting.

Comments

• Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 2,266 ✭✭
    OK, everyone, shut it down. No more predictions or discussions.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,495 ✭✭
    Couldn't care less if Jordan or Rory or whoever wins 5 majors or 25.

Just going to enjoy the ride.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,061 ✭✭
    Very fair.....Rors looked like he'd win a ton but has fallen by.....also , much harder than say tennis in which you only need to win what 7 matches mano v mano? You're not playing 150+ ....add in weather!
  • PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    Two weeks ago I thought Jordan might top out at 4, with Rory maybe 5. Now I'm more inclined to think Jordan makes it to 14 or 15.

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,339 ✭✭
    I could be way off but i will say i think Jason Day is a 1 and done. He climbed the mountain in his own words and now its all downhill. i hope im wrong because i dont dislike him but its just the vibe i get
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,052 ClubWRX
    PGArox wrote:

Two weeks ago I thought Jordan might top out at 4, with Rory maybe 5. Now I'm more inclined to think Jordan makes it to 14 or 15.

Phil, we hardly knew ye!
  • I would be willing to bet you nearly any amount that Jordan doesn't win 15 majors. Tiger made it look easy, but even Jordan admitted this week it's near impossible. I heard one of the announcers talking a week back and he said he was watching a college tournament and nearly every player could hit their drives 350 yards.

Jordan is a great player and he will do fine, but if he goes head to head with a guy that outdrives him by 30-40 yards it's hard to overcome ala the 2016 PGA Championship.

Jordan can hit irons and wedges and putt so those are three great aspects that he can lean on. I wish him many more majors but 15 is out of his sight.
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭

OK, everyone, shut it down. No more predictions or discussions.

The OP does make a good point with regard to the records of past greats. Still, it kind of reminds me of the times when I have posted a question in the Equipment forum asking for opinions on a driver or a certain golf ball and people tell me to just go hit it and find out for myself.
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Miura CB-501 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue AMT S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,299 ✭✭
    Spieth-8

Rory-6

DJ-2

Day-1

Matsuyama-2

Li-1

JT-3

Tiger-14

Rahm-3

Sergio-2

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,061 ✭✭
    And not playing the ifs n buts .....he given away 2 green jackets already!
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,357 ✭✭
    Duval was more of a Miller thing...missed his family...just like the Leonard story recently posted. The grind wins most of the time!
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭
    bobby jones had 13 majors as they were defined during his playing days ...

not making excuses, but hogan had at least 3 or 4 more majors in him if not for that car accident, which is obviously not the same as a playing injury ...
  • PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    PGArox wrote:

It was just a joke, folks.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,339 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:

not making excuses, but hogan had at least 3 or 4 more majors in him if not for that car accident, which is obviously not the same as a playing injury ...

And world war 2...
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,679 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

tiderider wrote:

And world war 2...
    And did WW2 help or hurt his record?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • tiderider wrote:

Hogan DID NOT have 3-4 more majors he was 41 years old for his 1953 campaign. It's not like he quit playing.

Jones won 13, but I said Professional Majors.
  • HoganApexBladesHoganApexBlades ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny... Members Posts: 2,020 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

lowheel wrote:

tiderider wrote:

And world war 2...

Of course it hurt his record. There was no Masters Invitational in '43, '44 and '45. There was no U.S. Open in '42, '43, '44 and '45. There was DEFINITELY no (British) Open Championship in '40, '41, '42, '43, '44 and '45. This may have been because a lot of Europe was being bombed to smithereens at the time and the galleries were hiding in their shelters instead of grazing the links. Plus Hogan served in the Armed Forces instead of running away to Canada. I don't think his R&R covered playing in a golf tournament.
    CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS
  • RoryGeniusRoryGenius Members Posts: 122
    SwooshLT wrote:
    much harder than say tennis in which you only need to win what 7 matches mano v mano? You're not playing 150+ ....add in weather!

Yeah but you have 25 years to win a golf major, only 10 years in tennis. Unless you're Federer.

• Shilgy wrote:

lowheel wrote:

tiderider wrote:

And world war 2...

Of course it hurt his record. There was no Masters Invitational in '43, '44 and '45. There was no U.S. Open in '42, '43, '44 and '45. There was DEFINITELY no (British) Open Championship in '40, '41, '42, '43, '44 and '45. This may have been because a lot of Europe was being bombed to smithereens at the time and the galleries were hiding in their shelters instead of grazing the links. Plus Hogan served in the Armed Forces instead of running away to Canada. I don't think his R&R covered playing in a golf tournament.

Hogan fought a hook at the beginning of his career. He didn't "figure it out" until much later. You can't blame an accident when the guy was already 41.

He won what he could win. An all time great no less.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,530 ✭✭
    I don't think that Rory will win another major. It is going to take him too long to figure out his putting - if he ever does. He'll come back door close a bunch more times.

Jordan will win 5 or 6.

It's tough to win these things, and the talent pool is pretty deep now.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,627 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

Spieth-8

Rory-6

DJ-2

Day-1

Matsuyama-2

Li-1

JT-3

Tiger-14

Rahm-3

Sergio-2
    This isn't a bad forecast. I think that Koepka has at least another one in him if not 2.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,064 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

Spieth-8

Rory-6

DJ-2

Day-1

Matsuyama-2

Li-1

JT-3

Tiger-14

Rahm-3

Sergio-2

fowler_600_pga14_handsonhead.jpg
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,679 ✭✭

Shilgy wrote:

lowheel wrote:

tiderider wrote:

And world war 2...

He also won a lot of his biggest events AFTER WW2. When fields were not exactly at their toughest. Nelson won most of his events during the war years and Hogan won many as well.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,426 ✭✭
    I don't see Rory or Spieth winning more than 8, I hope I'm wrong but neither one dominates the course the way Tiger did. If Spieth maintains his putting ability and improves his driving distance and accuracy or Rory figures out how to putt then they might have a shot at dominating.
    Driver - Home Ping G410 + 9.5*   Away Ping G400 Max 10*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭
    Going out on a limb here and going to say that Spieth is going to pass Tiger but not Jack.

That is so long as he stays healthy, stays focused, stays motivated, and stays with his swing and swing coach.

Lots of "so long as" up there. But that's my prediction. Jordan will end up one less major win than Jack.....
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,837 ✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2017 #27
    Day and DJ could drop off the planet.

Seems like Day already has and DJ is MC, MC, T54, in his last 3. DJ might revert back to tge mean and be a "B" player again. He is 33, not ancient but prime maybe fleeting.

Rory? Lost right now.

Hideki? Not a great putter and, sorry, but a little bit of a head case.

There are your top 6 outside of JS....

And Sergio? Love the guy but, for a guy in the top 5, long in the tooth.

#7. Rahm. Reminds me of Sergio. He will get in his own way.

Leaves us with Stenson, Noren, and Koepka to round out the top 10.

Jordan should be licking his chops ; )

Post edited by Unknown User on