Serious question about Speith hitting from the range

124»

Comments

  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,356 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:


    Unless its staked or otherwise notated on the card, I am going for a big ol flop shot for those watching from the 19th hole (ie skulling it back into the front bunker)


    This!!! It shouldn't even be a question.
  • xjohnxxjohnx Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭

    Krt22 wrote:


    Unless its staked or otherwise notated on the card, I am going for a big ol flop shot for those watching from the 19th hole (ie skulling it back into the front bunker)


    This!!! It shouldn't even be a question.




    Glad the common sense crowd arrived. Still waiting for anyone to defend the "not part of the course" side of things.
  • drn92drn92 Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    teejaywhy wrote:

    ray9898 wrote:

    apprenti23 wrote:


    I don't understand how they can make an adjacent fairway OB but not the driving range? The driving range is NEVER considered a part of th egolf course/ field of play. He should've been hitting three from the tee!




    Because players choosing to play in the other fairway had to hit their shots over a grandstand full of spectators. It was marked OB due to spectator safety.





    .....and many courses do not mark their practice area OB or anything inside of the boundaries. Stop acting like it is uncommon.




    He's not saying it's uncommon. He's saying it's NEVER. Not on one single course. None on the entire planet.




    Well, except for two that I play regularly.



    drn92
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,038 ✭✭
    2bGood wrote:


    I am one of those guys that think it is on the property it should be in bounds.






    I agree. To **** with OB.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot


  • RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2017 #96
    xjohnx wrote:


    Krt22 wrote:


    Unless its staked or otherwise notated on the card, I am going for a big ol flop shot for those watching from the 19th hole (ie skulling it back into the front bunker)


    This!!! It shouldn't even be a question.




    Glad the common sense crowd arrived. Still waiting for anyone to defend the "not part of the course" side of things.




    Agree on the common sense crowd.

    Almost (not every but almost) golf course I have played generally has some means of defining "the course". I have seen courses where there were white OB stakes slightly inside the curb line of a road running next to the course. I have also seen courses where the scorecard states that the road and anything beyond the road is OB.

    The comment about next to the clubhouse on a strip of grass reminds me of a situation on a course that I play frequently. The scorecard read that the roads bordering the golf course and beyond were OB. The clubhouse sat off to the left of 18 green and had white stakes running between the hole and the clubhouse. But beyond the 18th green was a huge amount of land that was kept mown and was considered part of the course because the road was well beyond that piece of ground. Well, the old clubhouse was torn down and a new clubhouse was built on that land between the 18th green and the road. Along with the new clubhouse, a new wide cart path and cart staging area was added between the clubhouse and the 18th green. But, they failed to put OB stakes anywhere between the 18th green and the clubhouse. A stash of old scorecards still existed. For a couple of months, saw a lot of balls played from places where they really should not have been BUT the course was not properly marked so it was perfectly legal. When the new cards came out, the wording on the card made the cart path and anything beyond OB. They could have put up stakes in the interim but for whatever reason chose not to.

    The point of all this...the golf course can define the course and what is "not part of the course". In tournament situations, the Tournament Committee and the golf facility can make adjustments and if they do, they mark the course properly and so state in the Conditions of Competition. This really is not rocket science.

    And, for professional tournaments, there are rules officials available to not only make rulings but to assist the players in their options when the pro wants/needs assistance...as was the case in The Open.
  • StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Myself I find it pretty charming with unexpected elements in bounds. Think the road at the Road hole, Seve playing from the car park, Spieth from the driving range and I distinctly remember Phil hitting an approach on a club house roof and over the building. He had to take a line of sight relief for his third. On Oakmont the putting green and the ninth green is one and the same.
    Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

    Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
    EvnRoll ER2

    After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,680 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

    xjohnx wrote:



    Players are not permitted to practice on the course before the round. The area to the right of the 13th can't be a practice ground and an integral part of the course it has to be one or the other!




    By that logic you can't play a shot from any adjacent hole that you haven't played yet during that round.




    Why ? Would that shot be "practice" ? image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Their point, which I disagree with, is not that that shot was practice but that ALL of the players were practicing on the course before their round. So all we dq'd.

    Not sure if this would be applicable but Rule 33-2C covers if there is no practice ground outside the course. I would think that if the range is in bounds this would apply.



    c. Practice Ground

    Where there is no practice ground available outside the area of a competition course, the Committee should establish the area on which players may practice on any day of a competition, if it is practicable to do so. On any day of a stroke-play competition, the Committee should not normally permit practice on or to a putting green or from a hazard of the competition course.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,680 ✭✭
    drn92 wrote:

    teejaywhy wrote:

    ray9898 wrote:

    apprenti23 wrote:


    I don't understand how they can make an adjacent fairway OB but not the driving range? The driving range is NEVER considered a part of th egolf course/ field of play. He should've been hitting three from the tee!




    Because players choosing to play in the other fairway had to hit their shots over a grandstand full of spectators. It was marked OB due to spectator safety.





    .....and many courses do not mark their practice area OB or anything inside of the boundaries. Stop acting like it is uncommon.




    He's not saying it's uncommon. He's saying it's NEVER. Not on one single course. None on the entire planet.




    Well, except for two that I play regularly.



    drn92
    My course the range is bordered by three holes. One on each side and one on the far end. The range is ob. It's a safety issue.

    That said at the Open it was in bounds. End of story.





    Except on wrx.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • ConcentricDimplesConcentricDimples Members Posts: 739
    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,680 ✭✭


    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?
    No, not if the range was in bounds at that course. Why would you think otherwise?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

    To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

    Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

    nsxguy wrote:

    xjohnx wrote:



    Players are not permitted to practice on the course before the round. The area to the right of the 13th can't be a practice ground and an integral part of the course it has to be one or the other!




    By that logic you can't play a shot from any adjacent hole that you haven't played yet during that round.




    Why ? Would that shot be "practice" ? image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />


    Their point, which I disagree with, is not that that shot was practice but that ALL of the players were practicing on the course before their round. So all we dq'd.

    Not sure if this would be applicable but Rule 33-2C covers if there is no practice ground outside the course. I would think that if the range is in bounds this would apply.



    c. Practice Ground

    Where there is no practice ground available outside the area of a competition course, the Committee should establish the area on which players may practice on any day of a competition, if it is practicable to do so. On any day of a stroke-play competition, the Committee should not normally permit practice on or to a putting green or from a hazard of the competition course.




    Oh, I get Ryan's point, even though it was subsequently shown to be incorrect.



    But xjohn's logic was clearly faulty. It's HIS logic that makes no sense.
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Silver (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,732 ✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2017 #103
    If the rules officials had made it OB, he would not have hit it there, making this issue moot.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,302 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:



    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?
    No, not if the range was in bounds at that course. Why would you think otherwise?




    Because he's known for being non-sensical.
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,952 ✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2017 #105
    playa wrote:


    If the rules officials had made it OB, he would not have hit it there, making this issue moot.
    PMAP. (Playa Makes A Point). If the DR was OB, then JS would not have taken his UPL drop on the DR. Maybe on top of the TIO. which might not have been OB. ROOITU. (RanOutOfInitialsToUse)
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,073 ClubWRX


    ...




    Ignore is for pu____s!
  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers Posts: 3,453 ✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2017 #108


    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?




    What are these levels?



    What are the places where it is wrong to play from?
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,305 ✭✭


    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?




    No.

    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • ConcentricDimplesConcentricDimples Members Posts: 739
    Hawkeye77 wrote:



    ...




    Ignore is for pu____s!




    Profane and degrading terminology for female **** organs violate the terms of service.



    Is that why you didn't fill in the blank in your post? But wait, what would that make you?
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,356 ✭✭


    Wouldn't it be wrong at so many levels to play your ball off the driving range at ANYTHING less than a major on Tour?


    What are you talking about? Unless it's staked or noted on the card or by the committee, it is in bounds and in play. I played out of the range yesterday. I play plenty of golf courses where the range is in bounds, including a recent tournament.
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    Y'all are getting trolled big time.
Sign In or Register to comment.