Rick Shiels' interviews Rory McIlroy and Jason Day @ Nike Town London

DatSliceDoe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nardwuar interviews are LEGENDARY. That's unfair, as this was Rick's first real interview. I think he did well, all things considered. He did have one too many "without further ado" nervous tics statements, but I think he did a smashing job once he became more comfortable.

RE: the interview, I became an even bigger fan of Rory and Jason after this interview. Rory's facial expressions were hilarious, especially when Jason said that he went to a Black Eyed Peas concert with Michelle Wie. Near the end, cats were just chopping it up like it was a normal conversation. I watched it twice, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope that Rick gets more opportunities to do similar interviews in the future.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I thought it was ok, although the audio quality wasn't the best. But a lot of it just came across as a Nike ad talking about clothing, etc. It was odd that Jason was looking all around and almost spacing out at times too. Rick is better at club reviews and vlogs in my opinion, but as it was his first time I'll give him a pass and hope he continues to branch out with his channel.

I've been meaning to give this a watch but I must admit to starting to go off of Rick and Pete when they are talking about the Pro game.

Their expertise lies in teaching I know that, but some of the stuff they don't know and some of the things that they get wrong are frustrating. They have huge audiences and their being misinformed leads to their audiences being misinformed.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I've been meaning to give this a watch but I must admit to starting to go off of Rick and Pete when they are talking about the Pro game.

Their expertise lies in teaching I know that, but some of the stuff they don't know and some of the things that they get wrong are frustrating. They have huge audiences and their being misinformed leads to their audiences being misinformed.

They misinform their audience? Care to elaborate?

[media=]

[/media]

Additional range segment posted today. Cringey.

Yikes. When will adult males stop wearing ridiculous skinny jeans?

If you recall, JD made light of the fact that all of his clothes are pretty tight during the interview. As someone who has most of his clothing tailored because a) I'm 5'6", 145lbs with a 29" inch waist, and b) I too like my clothing to be slim fitting so I do get where he's coming from, I would still like to encourage JD to go ahead and grow up a little. He's a perfect example of someone who has taken his physique and the slim fitting trend in particular a bit too far. This look works for a very select few, and those people are 22 years old at most and half of them are in boy bands.

Dustin Johnson is someone who also obviously has the physique and takes the tailored look right to the edge but still manages to look classy and athletic without looking douschy, which is where I think Jason's Day has crossed into at this point.

Sorry to go off on a slightly off topic rant.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

[media=]

[/media]

Is there anyway to watch the challenge if you don't have Facebook?

why do you need facebook? it's on youtube!

+2

It's not deliberate but frequently when they are talking about professional golf they don't know what they are talking about. They don't know who has won a certain event, they don't know what has happened in a tournament, fairly basic things. They talk about it and then pass it on. I find that frustrating.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Just watched the entire video. As gawky as some of the footage was I still think it was good press for Nike.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Does all this Nike London stuff make any of you guys want to buy the shirts and accessories? I think this is one of the reasons the Nike hardware went bust....targeting teeny boppers. Loads of nonsense. Waste of marketing expenditure. Rory and Jason must be thinking I can't believe we are getting paid for promoting this crap

Does all this Nike London stuff make any of you guys want to buy the shirts and accessories? I think this is one of the reasons the Nike hardware went bust....targeting teeny boppers. Loads of nonsense. Waste of marketing expenditure. Rory and Jason must be thinking I can't believe we are getting paid for promoting this crap

I was about to post the same thing. Everything Nike Golf does just feels cheesy and cringey. From the graphic design to the commercial with trendy teenagers carrying golf clubs through the park and the subway. Just terrible.

What's it called when advertising not only doesn't interest you in the product, but makes you actively try to avoid giving them any of your money?

[media=]

[/media]

Is there anyway to watch the challenge if you don't have Facebook?

why do you need facebook? it's on youtube!

+2

I meant the Sky Sports challenge, not Rick's video.

It's not deliberate but frequently when they are talking about professional golf they don't know what they are talking about. They don't know who has won a certain event, they don't know what has happened in a tournament, fairly basic things. They talk about it and then pass it on. I find that frustrating.

Well its obviously your opinion on it but when you make videos every day you will not get all the facts right. Thats also because alot of discussions and talks between them are just that, random talks while playing etc. I have never seen a video where they have talked about a tournament and didnt know who won it though but they might have done that but i have not seen that.

As a player who used to play alot of minitours and tried to make it on tour in Europe i think they have alot of good advice for amateurs. They create alot of cool and interesting content that i would have loved to do if i had the time. I think they have alot of knowledge, are decent golfers but more importantly they have a good understanding of golf from a teaching perspective, understand that golf is very different for a scratch player, 15 hcp, 30 hcp etc. They create content for everyone and they are good ambassadors for the game of golf imo. I dont know them personally but i think what they are doing is 100% positive for golf and growing the game of golf even if that isnt why they do what they do.

[media=]

[/media]

Yikes. When will adult males stop wearing ridiculous skinny jeans?

As opposed to what - baggy stonewash jeans with elasticated waists and walmart white sneakers to match?

Way to go to the other extreme. i think the other poster had it right tailored versus looking like a Dbag. If your jeans are tighter than your girls leggings its time to dial it back.If you can tuck your jeans into your high tops youve gone too far... just my opinion

I was about to post the same thing. Everything Nike Golf does just feels cheesy and cringey. From the graphic design to the commercial with trendy teenagers carrying golf clubs through the park and the subway. Just terrible.

What's it called when advertising not only doesn't interest you in the product, but makes you actively try to avoid giving them any of your money?

Advertising is there to provide awareness of the product which is what these adverts do. However what stimuli does it entice seeing a bunch of kids wearing them in a subway? Doesn't really make me want to go buy Nike clothing. Il stick to my Ralph Lauren and Hugo boss every day of the week.

One day these companies will realise that the main thing which counts now is most people are price conscious. Make it lower in price and u will sell. Stop wasting money on adverts like this and paying players to endorse the products when it makes minimal difference. For a start up company a celebrity endorsement may be beneficial but for a long established company like Nike, I believe it makes next to no difference at all.

Case in point Nike hardware.....tiger woods. Went bust. End of