Long Beach Open

wmblake2000

Long Beach, Ca holds the Long Beach Open tomorrow - Sunday. 300+ pros will play in this 72 hole tournament with $170k in prize money. All levels of amateur tournaments were held in the run up to this as part of the Long Beach golf festival. Paul Goysos, Scott McCarren and a few other would be pga pros won this en route to the tour. I have a couple of friends who play each year. I don't think either has made the cut so I'd really love to see at least one make the cut this year. I'll go Friday to see them play. It's a beautiful thing to see these guys really grinding it out.

This is a great small tournament. Well, not so small. But a local event - it won't make much noise on local tv or the la times but I think it's awesome.

Do other places have similar events? I hope so. This isn't so much part of the satellite tours as it is a Long Beach thing. Something about this tournament strikes me as the heart of golf. Just guys who live to play putting up their $750 knowing they'll be lucky to make the cut (60/300). It just strikes me as great stuff. It's like local theatre or seeing a great high school orchestra with kids playing out of sheer love of it. Except these are men but somehow they are mainly still kids dreaming of a few great rounds.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might play in the senior am championship. I'm 65 and am better than ever in my life.

Does anyone living elsewhere know of similar kinds of tournaments or is Long Beach unique?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I might play in the senior am championship. I'm 65 and am better than ever in my life.

Does anyone living elsewhere know of similar kinds of tournaments or is Long Beach unique?

Long beach is pretty unique and has a great reputation. There are others, state opens are pretty similar, the Provo open in Utah used to have a pretty big purse, there was one in mesquite Nevada a few years ago that might still exist that had a decent purse. The met open in New York is pretty big.

The long beach open is one of the longest standing and best supported of the bunch. Great tournament.

Very cool. If any of you know of others I'd like to look them up

Colorado State Open, Waterloo, and Long Beach are the biggest. Pretty much all the state opens in the North East are good. North Dakota Open on the Dakotas Tour is good. Provo Open in Utah and Santa Fe Open in NM used to be good but haven't looked at either lately. All of these are very good payouts with low entry fees. Colorado Open is $100,000 to the winner for $600 entry fee

I am really glad to see that other such tournaments exist. I just think this is a great thing. I'm going out tomorrow to watch my buds play. Hope they do well today. I don't know why I like this so much... I guess because it feels so ... down to earth where excellent players (and most of the guys who pony up $750 are excellent players. PGA pros are space aliens) can compete just by saying 'count me in.'

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

While not a huge payout in terms of dollars , a mini tour in Florida runs 6 4 day events (usually on 2 courses , but in the summer it's on 1 course ) that they pay the winners q school entry fees plus the purse money

Which tour is that? Don't know of any that get enough players to need two courses. Best value event in FL is the Ocala Open. I only know of one mini Tour other than the Swingthought Tour that even has a single 4 day event in the state of FL and they don't use 2 courses.

While not a huge payout in terms of dollars , a mini tour in Florida runs 6 4 day events (usually on 2 courses , but in the summer it's on 1 course ) that they pay the winners q school entry fees plus the purse money

Which tour is that? Don't know of any that get enough players to need two courses. Best value event in FL is the Ocala Open. I only know of one mini Tour other than the Swingthought Tour that even has a single 4 day event in the state of FL and they don't use 2 courses.

No its 36-36

The minor league tour

http://www.minorleaguegolf.com/qschool.asp

I really wanted to go check this out this year. My home course is El Dorado which I think is where they play the final 2 rounds? Not sure... Courses in the area are still in great shape, greens at El Dorado were great last week, can't wait to see the scores!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Yeah, El Dorado hosts all 4 days; Skylinks on Thurs/Fri.

One of my guys ended up not playing. The other shot 73 and needs to have a better day tomorrow to make the cut, but he's not out of it. Going to go watch him - he plays El Dorado. I played there about a month ago and greens were excellent, really excellent.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My boy Dan shot 73-75 -- +4. The cut line was -3. I followed him the front 9 and he really struggled then left as did his parents. He played even par back 9. The tourney leader is -12.

His mom was a teaching pro. Mom is 79 Dad is 80. They both shot their age this year on the same day! That's a helluva achievement.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My boy Dan shot 73-75 -- +4. The cut line was -3. I followed him the front 9 and he really struggled then left as did his parents. He played even par back 9. The tourney leader is -12.

His mom was a teaching pro. Mom is 79 Dad is 80. They both shot their age this year on the same day! That's a helluva achievement.

Can you provide a leaderboard link please..

Long beach is pretty unique and has a great reputation. There are others, state opens are pretty similar, the Provo open in Utah used to have a pretty big purse, there was one in mesquite Nevada a few years ago that might still exist that had a decent purse. The met open in New York is pretty big.

The long beach open is one of the longest standing and best supported of the bunch. Great tournament.

Awesome event, I played it one of the years when Tony Finau won. The yardages at that course are impossible to figure out because of elevation and you add wind. yikes. You can have PW into par 5s. I saw Tony hit sand wedge after a 395 yard drive on a par 5. thats when i knew that kid was special. i think he won by 7 or 8 shots that year

Can you provide a leaderboard link please..

here you go

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/2899527179991807735

Then at one of the two venues, skylinks, I went to practice yesterday and saw a bunch of young women with skill practicing. Turns out there's a Cactus (who knew?) mini tour tourney there tues-thurs. All these young women with a dream to make it to the LPGA. Might go watch them play a little. I just really like seeing this level of competition.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W