Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• AndersUKAndersUK Members  253WRX Points: 64Posts: 253 Greens
    Manged to get hold of a demo 6i with DG 105 X100 to try and the ball flight was VERY high. Is this normal? It has a higher trajectory than my gamer 900 Forged with XP95 X100.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue SZ 9* Rogue MSI 130 White Stiff
    Callaway Mavrik 15* Rogue MSI 130 White Stiff
    TM P790 3-PW DG105 Stiff / Srixon 765 3-4 & 965 5-PW, C Taper Lite 115 X
    Miura 49(50), 55(54.5) & 59, C Taper Lite 115 X
    Z Star XV, Cut Blue
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • goheels11goheels11 ClubWRX  566WRX Points: 224Handicap: 2Posts: 566 ClubWRX
    klbcec wrote:
    rxk9fan wrote:
    <br />
    69...great score!<br />
    I know I hit my 5 iron as well as any 5 iron I have ever used. But, got to say that the reported inconsistencies have so far scared me away from a full set. Either way, you obviously made them work for you today!!<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I come from playing MP 33's and MP 4's for about 18 years with a set of FG Tour V4's mixed in for a year. I have found the P790's every bit as consistent distance wise and equally versatile. For example, a stock 8 iron goes about 152 for me. I can de-loft slightly and play a draw and get the distance to about 158. On the other hand, I can choke down and play a punch fade and get the ball to go 143. And it has been consistent. I have not had any "hot spot" inexplicable distances.<br />
    <br />
    I would summarize as follows: They are a club longer than traditional Mizuno blades (my P790's are bent 1* weak). They can do everything that my Mizuno's do, they are just a little more forgiving on the low-face strikes.<br />
    <br />
    I am more of a sweeper than a digger, so they are perfect for me.
    <br />
    <br />
    I have found similar forgiveness on thin shots, which is my miss as a sweeper. I have tried to talk myself out of these irons over and over, not a big TM fan...But they remain as high performers and in the bag.
    Posted:
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers  883WRX Points: 179Handicap: 4.9Posts: 883 Golden Tee
    These have been out of the bag for a few weeks now as I've gone back to my 501s. I found the distances more inconsistent the more I used these. Was striping them straight, but pin high began tougher and tougher to hit. From 150 yards out I'd be able to get a PW there, but also a 9 iron, it was very weird. Very easy to catch the hot spot. Plus I found a massive gap between the shortest iron and wedge. <br />
    <br />
    Still fantastic irons though, a buddy of mine is using them and his handicap has dropped significantly since bagging them. Just not for me I guess...
    Posted:
    TS3 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 15 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    TS3 19 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    PXG Gen 3 0311p 3-PW DG120
    0311 Forged 52-56-60 DG120
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron "RORS"
  • ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon Members  203WRX Points: 42Posts: 203 Fairways
    My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.
    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10348WRX Points: 3,549Handicap: 8Posts: 10,348 ClubWRX
    Look here look here
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3372WRX Points: 800Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,372 Titanium Tees
    <br />
    My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    ... I would call myself an average spin player. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it gets pretty windy here. I have a set of Honma 737's I love to play every now and then but yesterday it was gusting to 25 mph and I really wish I had played my P790's. Lower spin combined with a higher trajectory gives me the best of all worlds in windy conditions with the P790's as I can hit knockdowns or just hit it solid right thru the wind as the lower spin does not effect my shots as much in windy conditions. I could make the argument that for me, the 790's produce more reliable distance than my Honma's, all things considered including the wind. Ymmv of course.
    Posted:
    Cobra Xtreme 9* Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra SZ 17* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"

Advertisement
  • ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon Members  203WRX Points: 42Posts: 203 Fairways
    chisag wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    ... I would call myself an average spin player. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it gets pretty windy here. I have a set of Honma 737's I love to play every now and then but yesterday it was gusting to 25 mph and I really wish I had played my P790's. Lower spin combined with a higher trajectory gives me the best of all worlds in windy conditions with the P790's as I can hit knockdowns or just hit it solid right thru the wind as the lower spin does not effect my shots as much in windy conditions. I could make the argument that for me, the 790's produce more reliable distance than my Honma's, all things considered including the wind. Ymmv of course.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yeah, I think even the average spin guys do fine with them. Like I can't play Apex CF16s, and I love how they feel, but for me they just ran out like crazy. I actually physically took a z765 and a same lofted 790 out onto a golf course and hit them from the same spot and actually looked at the run out. The 790 was a little longer, but the runout was significantly higher. And again, YMMV absolutely, but my problem is that I just don't get enough spin on the ball - the z765 is the first iron I've ever played that I could hit basically to the stick, and my cap has dropped significantly because of it. That said one of my best friends has 790s and they are perfect for him. Great clubs in the right hands.
    Posted:
  • chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3372WRX Points: 800Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,372 Titanium Tees
    <br />
    chisag wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    ... I would call myself an average spin player. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it gets pretty windy here. I have a set of Honma 737's I love to play every now and then but yesterday it was gusting to 25 mph and I really wish I had played my P790's. Lower spin combined with a higher trajectory gives me the best of all worlds in windy conditions with the P790's as I can hit knockdowns or just hit it solid right thru the wind as the lower spin does not effect my shots as much in windy conditions. I could make the argument that for me, the 790's produce more reliable distance than my Honma's, all things considered including the wind. Ymmv of course.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yeah, I think even the average spin guys do fine with them. Like I can't play Apex CF16s, and I love how they feel, but for me they just ran out like crazy. I actually physically took a z765 and a same lofted 790 out onto a golf course and hit them from the same spot and actually looked at the run out. The 790 was a little longer, but the runout was significantly higher. And again, YMMV absolutely, but my problem is that I just don't get enough spin on the ball - the z765 is the first iron I've ever played that I could hit basically to the stick, and my cap has dropped significantly because of it. That said one of my best friends has 790s and they are perfect for him. Great clubs in the right hands.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    ...Yup, the is a great time to be involved with equipment as there are just so many great clubs out there right now. When I went to the PGA Show 10 years ago there were always standouts in every category but in recent years it is difficult to find a favorite. Give me 5 reviewers and I think there is the distinct possibility all 5 could have a different favorite between the F8, Rogue, G400, 917D's and M series drivers. Same thing for irons. Choosing the right one will come down to spin, trajectory, forgiveness and personal preference. But they are all very, very good these days.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members  2858WRX Points: 742Posts: 2,858 Titanium Tees
    I’ve narrowed my next iron choice down to the 790s and another set but leaning heavily toward the 790s. Now I’m in another dilemma, while I would be content with a good used set I find myself attracted to the new black ones. Part of me wants to get those but the other part finds it hard to justify paying double for a set just to get a different colored finish.
    Posted:
  • NoFancyUsername.NoFancyUsername. Members  527WRX Points: 121Posts: 527 Golden Tee
    Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.
    Posted:
    Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch Members  567WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10.7Posts: 567 Golden Tee
    I picked up a brand new set on the Bay, 4 thru 9 irons. So I’m wondering how everyone likes the pitching wedge and gap wedge from the set, especially for chipping and straightforward pitches.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members  99WRX Points: 21Posts: 99 Fairways
    <br />
    I picked up a brand new set on the Bay, 4 thru 9 irons. So I'm wondering how everyone likes the pitching wedge and gap wedge from the set, especially for chipping and straightforward pitches.<br />
    i love them...normally i use my 54 degree wedge for chipping. PW/AW are very consistent for me
    Posted:
  • SteveL1SteveL1 St. Louis, MOMembers  1413WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4.8 Posts: 1,413 Platinum Tees
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.
    Posted:
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer Members  713WRX Points: 178Posts: 713 Golden Tee
    SteveL1 wrote:
    <br />
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.<br />
    You see, all I need is one example of these fliers from hollow clubs and its enough to forget about buying them - yet we have many many many folks saying the same about these clubs, fliers all over the place - NO WAY NO HOW!!!<br />
    <br />
    Golf is all about distance control - without it, you have nothing.
    Posted:
    Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers  617WRX Points: 144Handicap: 12.7Posts: 617 Golden Tee
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I haven’t had any issues with mine and did research prior to buying and didn’t find much on it like I’ve read in 790 threads online.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 3 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping i210 4-UW Modus 105s
    Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 Modus 105s
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
    I have experienced the flyer issues with shorter clubs when experimenting with some of the super low compression balls but not sure I’ve experienced anything with a particular club
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3557WRX Points: 436Handicap: +1Posts: 3,557 ClubWRX
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green.<br />
    <br />
    For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. I’m a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these don’t do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TaylorMade SIM max driver 
    TaylorMade  M6 3 wood
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-pw
    TaylorMade Hi Toe  52
    TaylorMade MG2 58 
    Scotty Cameron 5.5m
    bogeypro wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    <br />
    Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it&#146;s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green. I think it&#146;s the thin faces and filling. Can&#146;t control the spring consistently.<br />
    <br />
    For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. I&#146;m a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these don&#146;t do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.
    <br />
    <br />
    To me that’s kinda confusing. I can’t see how the foam would really make that much difference. I can see the next iteration having progressive face thickness and maybe even progressive density in foam. Maybe someone can take the Toe screw out of their irons and remove the foam just to test it out.
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX  3557WRX Points: 436Handicap: +1Posts: 3,557 ClubWRX
    I suspect that since the faces are thin and msybe can’t support the force of impact with the goo (purely speculation here). Maybe the goo doesn’t react as consistently as a metal face. <br />
    <br />
    This technique is very popular now. I suspect that it’ll get more refined and will get better.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM max driver 
    TaylorMade  M6 3 wood
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-pw
    TaylorMade Hi Toe  52
    TaylorMade MG2 58 
    Scotty Cameron 5.5m

Advertisement
    I saw this in regard to the black version<br />
    <br />
    Posted:
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7638WRX Points: 453Posts: 7,638 Titanium Tees
    That’s probably a liability statement in case they start getting tons of calls about the wear. “We told you” they might wear faster.
    Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
    Golfrnut wrote:
    That&#146;s probably a liability statement in case they start getting tons of calls about the wear. &#147;We told you&#148; they might wear faster.
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think that may have made my mind up on which to get. Still debating though
    Posted:
    ... I certainly am not going to say I don't believe the people claiming these fliers that happen with regularity, or even at all. What I do know is I have over 100 rounds in with mine and have not had one flier or ball travel a distance I was not expecting. I played the last 2 rounds using my Honma 737's and had zero birdies because I was just not hitting them close enough to the hole. To be fair the greens were slow and a little bumpy but I did not knock the flag down in those two rounds with my Honma's. Put the P790's back in the bag and birdied 8, 9 and 10. That's 3 birdies in a row because I hit my approach shots to 2', 1' and 6'. Birdied two more hitting an approach shots to a few inches and I also made a 10 footer. You don't make 5 birdies with irons that are inconsistent. <br />
    <br />
    ... Again, I am not refuting anyone else's personal experience, but those comments are just real head scratchers to me because I find the P790's to be the most accurate irons I have ever played. As always with any clubs ymmv ...
    Posted:
    Hey chisag what ball and shaft are you playing if I may ask?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZPrimeZPrime Changing Clubs is like better than not changing clubs Members  327WRX Points: 65Handicap: 4Posts: 327 Greens
    Reading these last 3 pages, Starting to get a bit nervous. Picking up my new black 790s w/ S Taper black shafts tomorrow. I currently game Miz MP18 mbs modus 120 1degree strong. Love my mp18s and playing great golf but was lured by the power of the dark side. Heck I’ve never even owned a TM product! I used to hate the brand but do like the recent woods and entire P series iron lineup. I’m not getting rid of my Mp18s but starting to worry bout the 790 fliers. <br />
    <br />
    Black irons wear so not too worried bout that. <br />
    <br />
    Anyone out there move from a players iron/blade to 790 and enjoying the easy extra distance and ease of use? <br />
    <br />
    Thx.<br />
    <br />
    Ps. I did pick up a Hi Toe 60 TM and early returns are favorable
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 white head 44.75” with Daytona Speeder S.  
    Cobra F9 yellow head 3w Atmos Blue S 
    Mizuno JPX 900 Blue 5W
    19’ P790 PW- 4 Modus Pro Tour 120 S Bent 1 weak
    Vokey Slate Blue 54S, 60M, 64T
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members  2559WRX Points: 295Posts: 2,559 Titanium Tees
    Black p790 with $taper! Show some pic. That'd be a **** pairing!!<br />
    <br />
    After I bent my 6i weaken the flier seems to be gone. I haven't had any fliers with other irons. Just 6.<br />
    <br />
    Coming from CB, I'm enjoying quiet a boost in confidence. Shots are beautiful. <br />
    <br />
    Although I've move to fourteen fh900 and it's awesome feeling
    Posted:
  • stangs2655stangs2655 NW IndianaMembers  215WRX Points: 46Posts: 215 Fairways
    50+ rounds with my P790's and my yardages are spot on. Not hot spots or monster flyers!
    Posted:

Taylormade M5 Atmos Red TS
    Taylormade M2 Tour Issue 16.5 Fubuki J
    Pxg 0311X 2 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311X 4 Iron Tensei Blue
    Pxg 0311 5-Pw Modus 120
    Pxg 0311 50 & 56 Modus 125
    Taylormade Hi Toe Raw 64 Kbs $ taper
    SC Circle T Kombi 34"
    Titleist Avx Yellow

Advertisement
  • bd59bd59 Members  843WRX Points: 89Posts: 843 Golden Tee
    So everyone is telling me that they’ve never hit a club “FLUSHED” and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I’ve ever played I’ll get the occasional “I nutted that one” and it just flies. I don’t think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.