Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,438 ✭✭
    Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    I picked up a brand new set on the Bay, 4 thru 9 irons. So I’m wondering how everyone likes the pitching wedge and gap wedge from the set, especially for chipping and straightforward pitches.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members Posts: 92 ✭✭

I picked up a brand new set on the Bay, 4 thru 9 irons. So I'm wondering how everyone likes the pitching wedge and gap wedge from the set, especially for chipping and straightforward pitches.
    i love them...normally i use my 54 degree wedge for chipping. PW/AW are very consistent for me
  • SteveL1SteveL1 Members Posts: 1,410 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?

I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 527 ✭✭
    edited Aug 3, 2018 #3306
    SteveL1 wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.
    You see, all I need is one example of these fliers from hollow clubs and its enough to forget about buying them - yet we have many many many folks saying the same about these clubs, fliers all over the place - NO WAY NO HOW!!!

Golf is all about distance control - without it, you have nothing.
    Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 473 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.

I haven’t had any issues with mine and did research prior to buying and didn’t find much on it like I’ve read in 790 threads online.
    Ping G400 Max 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Maltby DBM 3-GW C-Taper Lite 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 52/58* 
    Evnroll ER5 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
    I have experienced the flyer issues with shorter clubs when experimenting with some of the super low compression balls but not sure I’ve experienced anything with a particular club
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 3, 2018 #3310
    BiggErn wrote:

My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green.

For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. I’m a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these don’t do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
    bogeypro wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green. I think it’s the thin faces and filling. Can’t control the spring consistently.

For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. I’m a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these don’t do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.

To me that’s kinda confusing. I can’t see how the foam would really make that much difference. I can see the next iteration having progressive face thickness and maybe even progressive density in foam. Maybe someone can take the Toe screw out of their irons and remove the foam just to test it out.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX
    I suspect that since the faces are thin and msybe can’t support the force of impact with the goo (purely speculation here). Maybe the goo doesn’t react as consistently as a metal face.

This technique is very popular now. I suspect that it’ll get more refined and will get better.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
    I saw this in regard to the black version

• GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,319 ✭✭
    That’s probably a liability statement in case they start getting tons of calls about the wear. “We told you” they might wear faster.
    TM Supertri V2 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5* w/ Diamana BB  S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R 
    Taylormade R9 19* TP Rescue w/ Aldila Rip 85
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
    Golfrnut wrote:
    That’s probably a liability statement in case they start getting tons of calls about the wear. “We told you” they might wear faster.

I think that may have made my mind up on which to get. Still debating though
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,984 ✭✭
    ... I certainly am not going to say I don't believe the people claiming these fliers that happen with regularity, or even at all. What I do know is I have over 100 rounds in with mine and have not had one flier or ball travel a distance I was not expecting. I played the last 2 rounds using my Honma 737's and had zero birdies because I was just not hitting them close enough to the hole. To be fair the greens were slow and a little bumpy but I did not knock the flag down in those two rounds with my Honma's. Put the P790's back in the bag and birdied 8, 9 and 10. That's 3 birdies in a row because I hit my approach shots to 2', 1' and 6'. Birdied two more hitting an approach shots to a few inches and I also made a 10 footer. You don't make 5 birdies with irons that are inconsistent.

... Again, I am not refuting anyone else's personal experience, but those comments are just real head scratchers to me because I find the P790's to be the most accurate irons I have ever played. As always with any clubs ymmv ...
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour 18.5 and 21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
    Hey chisag what ball and shaft are you playing if I may ask?
  • ZPrimeZPrime Ultimate Game Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2018 #3318
    Reading these last 3 pages, Starting to get a bit nervous. Picking up my new black 790s w/ S Taper black shafts tomorrow. I currently game Miz MP18 mbs modus 120 1degree strong. Love my mp18s and playing great golf but was lured by the power of the dark side. Heck I’ve never even owned a TM product! I used to hate the brand but do like the recent woods and entire P series iron lineup. I’m not getting rid of my Mp18s but starting to worry bout the 790 fliers.

Black irons wear so not too worried bout that.

Anyone out there move from a players iron/blade to 790 and enjoying the easy extra distance and ease of use?

Thx.

Ps. I did pick up a Hi Toe 60 TM and early returns are favorable
    Mizuno JPX900 Driver 661 S or Cobra F9 Tour Length Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour w/ Hzrdus Smoke S 6.0
    Cobra F9 hybrid
    Cobra King Black Forged Tec AMT s300. 4-G
    Mizuno Blue T7 56, 62
    Scotty Limited Global 2018
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,320 ✭✭
    Black p790 with $taper! Show some pic. That'd be a **** pairing!!

After I bent my 6i weaken the flier seems to be gone. I haven't had any fliers with other irons. Just 6.

Coming from CB, I'm enjoying quiet a boost in confidence. Shots are beautiful.

Although I've move to fourteen fh900 and it's awesome feeling
  • stangs2655stangs2655 NW IndianaMembers Posts: 206 ✭✭
    50+ rounds with my P790's and my yardages are spot on. Not hot spots or monster flyers!
  • bd59bd59 Members Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2018 #3321
    So everyone is telling me that they’ve never hit a club “FLUSHED” and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I’ve ever played I’ll get the occasional “I nutted that one” and it just flies. I don’t think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02
  • Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 1,968 ClubWRX
    I only have a few rounds on mine but love the 5-7 and am getting used to 8-A. Hit some great shots with the long irons but still getting used to the lower end.
    BiggErn wrote:

Hey chisag what ball and shaft are you playing if I may ask?

... Recoil Prototype 95's and TP5x.
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    Played my 6th round with my 790s today.

I have never had a flyer

Yardages have been very consistent for me

I have the wedge set up at 46 degrees to match my old Ping wedge and find it goes the same distance

YMMV but I'm really starting to get used to these now, the lighter swing-weight through my timing off for the first few rounds
    bd59 wrote:

So everyone is telling me that they've never hit a club "FLUSHED" and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I've ever played I'll get the occasional "I nutted that one" and it just flies. I don't think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02

... I usually hit the center of the face with regularity so my "flushed" shot is what I would call a "normal" shot. However, I certainly do miss the center occasionally, every round in fact, and those shots fly shorter but as on target as any iron I have played. And of course every now and then everything seems out of whack in a round and I suffer through those and try to grind out a score. For me, that is the beauty of the P790's as 90% of the time I do not need the forgiveness, but the other 10% of the time I am glad it is there. I am beginning to think some just miss the center more often than not and that "FLUSHED" shot is what they are calling a flyer, which would make a lot of sense.
  • cheers big earscheers big ears Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Had mine in the uk from the start of the season, replaced a set of snake eye 695 player cavities. Also moved from PX 6.0 to KBS TOUR 125.

Initially I regretted the decision to change and wished I’d went for MP 18 split cavities. Especially after hearing scare stories about fliers and unmanageable gaps between 7 and 8. I also airmailed a few greens. My handicap went up about a shot, very disappointed....

After 3 months with them, I can report they are staying for the long term.

It’s easy to jump on band wagons especially with new gear. Looking back it’s obvious that with new clubs with hugely different performance characteristics and feel, there’s going to be a few surprises, when the forum is alight with fliers and yardage gaps it’s easy to second guess yourself - I did.

Ive had fliers, but normally from shots swings or lies where fliers were odds on anyway, I’ve also had 9 irons rip 10 feet off the front..

Get fit by someone you trust and these things will do you proud. Very proud. Handicap currently at career low....
    I have my order ready to submit but holding out for a deal. Probably about to say the heck with it and hit the button.
    Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.
  • linkerpanlinkerpan ClubWRX Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
    Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.

Lol, because some people like me wants a club exactly like this. I don’t know why the whine if you know you can handle a P770, or i200 you go and buy that. And I have blades and CB sets that I play very good too, but I prefer this.
    Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
    Tee EX10 Beta 13, 18. Hzrdus Yellow, Accra 300F
    M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
    M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
    P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
    Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350
    Snell MTB balls
    Bushnell V2 range finder
    Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
    UA Storm Stand bag

WITB Link
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,513 ClubWRX
    I spent an extended period today hitting the P790’s and i500’s at a PGATSS.

I was more impressed by the i500’s than the P790’s.

Looks, feel, offset, bounce, finish, and performance were better with the Ping. Distance about the same.

To each his own, I guess.
    Any combination of 14 of the clubs below make up the bag at any given time:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 - PW Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 58-12D, 60-12D
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport.
    Titleist Pro V1X

Others:
    Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Ping Anser 35 inch brass (old), Cleveland Designed By blade putter, Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser black

GO VOLS!
    linkerpan wrote:

Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.

Lol, because some people like me wants a club exactly like this. I don’t know why the whine if you know you can handle a P770, or i200 you go and buy that. And I have blades and CB sets that I play very good too, but I prefer this.

... Pretty amazing that Taylor Made came out with an iron after zero R&D other than distance, Distance and more DISTANCE. Evidently they are inconsistent with fliers and lord knows what other problems. I am just happy I got a defective set of P790's that are very consistent and haven't produced any fliers, other than from light rough just like every other club I have hit. I really dodged a bullet with my set.