Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    SMUGamer wrote:

Your statements aren't in need of a response from me. Read the entire thread so you get the context of my comments.

I've read it. In fact I read a lot of it before extensively testing and then buying the 790's Plenty of guys who like them, plenty having issues. No different to a LOT of the threads here and certainly not supportive of statements like "most folks" and "I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons"
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 515 ✭✭
    Hey buddy, play 'em until your heart's content.

I choose to play irons with ZERO distance control issues, like "most" players.
    SMUGamer wrote:

I just got it - you ARE Bob Parsons and I claim my $50
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,354 ✭✭
    Distance control issues can stem from a lot of things. Since everyone isn’t having distance control issues it’s possible it could be other things but not saying it is or isn’t. . Even the best have an outlier shot on occasion but some on this forum act like they can drop 7 irons inside a hoola hoop from 175 all day long.

SMUGamer wrote:

I just got it - you ARE Bob Parsons and I claim my $50
    Guess thats why I play Srixons, huh??? And, just about to order the new Srixon 785's.......... I get it, trying to use humor to justify your absurd positions.......I get it.
    SMUGamer wrote:

I get it, trying to use humor to justify your absurd positions.......I get it.

Fake news....

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....
    Surely, after having been a member since "2006" you know how to look up someones past post. If so, you'd see my post from years ago raving about my Srixon's. Too complex for ya?
    SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....
    Surely, after having been a member since "2006" you know how to look up someones past post. If so, you'd see my post from years ago raving about my Srixon's. Too complex for ya?

Ever wonder why you get so few likes to your posts?

Absurd position = Fake news

SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....

You got me, I just don't know what to do or say?!?!? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Now go away, you're an utter waste of my time! No more replies to Mr. 3 putter shooting 95........ image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • GolferRy785GolferRy785 Members Posts: 34
    Quick question for those of you whom gamed or have hit the 2014 Callaway Apex irons:

-Are these easier, or harder to hit when compared?

-How is the feel compared to both of these?

Thanks!
    Whats in my Callaway Hyperlite 5 Bag:
    Big Stick: Titleist 915 D3 with Diamana white board OR Callaway Epic 10.5 with Aldila Rogue Max
    Smaller stick: Callaway X2Hot 5W / Callaway Epic Star 3W
    Between Sticks: Taylormade RBZ 3H and Callaway Apex 4H
    Metal sticks: Callaway Apex
    Scoring Sticks: Titleist SM6 54* and Callaway MD2 PM Grind 60*
    Flat Stick: Odyssey Works Tank #1W OR Taylormade Spider Black Tour
    Round Thing: Taylormade TP5X
    Kicks: Adidas Boost Tour 360
  • ZPrimeZPrime Ultimate Game Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    I've got some pics
    Mizuno JPX900 Driver 661 S or Cobra F9 Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 Tour w/ Hzrdus Smoke S 6.0
    Cobra F9 hybrid
    Cobra King MB/CB '18 w $ taper 120s
    Mizuno Blue T7 52, 56, 62
    Scotty Limited Global 2018
    SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....

You got me, I just don't know what to do or say?!?!? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Now go away, you're an utter waste of my time! No more replies to Mr. 3 putter shooting 95........ image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

How predictable
    OK, I think P790's are the most popular clubs on the BST - get 'em while you can folks!!! image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />
    Not too popular. I couldn’t find any or at least any with the shafts I was looking for. Everything I was looking at on eBay is selling or sold for about what I paid ordering direct from TM. Of course I had a 15% discount but that’s not exactly huge.
  • justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004 Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    Some of y’all need to chill lol
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #3377
    SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.
    Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that “defend” the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    SMUGamer wrote:

chisag wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.

"I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen."

... I guess at a +1.5 index I am not a good player. Of course I actually play them as opposed to talking about them with a guy in a golf shop, so what do I know? Clearly the 67 I shot a few days ago with UNPLAYABLE irons was due to excellent driving, wedge play and putting. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    That's your experience - fine, no big deal. You are the exception, not the norm. Lets see how long they last in your bag. And, how would you know if I've played them or not? Yeah, you don't! Lastly, the fitter is one of the best around here and spends way more hours on this stuff than you ever even thought about.

I think that it’s the opposite. The norm is that these are not fliers
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #3379
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.
    Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members Posts: 2,201 ✭✭
    Idk about unplayable irons but this thread has devolved into unreadable bickering. Ugh.
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for my home Links course
    Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
    magnus7319 wrote:

Idk about unplayable irons but this thread has devolved into unreadable bickering. Ugh.
    Agree, Magnus. By the way, I saw you tried to sell your P790's on the BST with no luck - did you sell them on eBay?
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,434 ✭✭
    No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn’t doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members Posts: 2,201 ✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #3383
    Still for sale. 👍

I’ll add that in my experience they are the longest irons I’ve ever hit. They look great and feel great.

I just seem to be point and shoot with my 714 AP2s- albeit a club and a half shorter... but I can’t argue with knocking pins down.

It may be an issue of shaft difference (px lz 5.5 vs s300) and I’d rather not reshaft the p790s.

I do play with 3 buddies who swear by their p790s. Again ymmv.

They are (unfortunately) Just not for me.
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for my home Links course
    Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #3384
    cardia10 wrote:

No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn't doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!
    Yeah, this says it all - action speaks louder than words (or the proof in the puddin' as they say). If these irons were all some folks said they were, nobody would have to sell them (in mint condition) and lose around half their money. The market knows all and it appears the market has taken its position on these irons which is perfectly consistent with our position.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    cardia10 wrote:
    No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn’t doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!

Wrong shaft for me or I would’ve. Everything I was watching on eBay sold or is selling for over $800-900.
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,434 ✭✭
    After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,076 ✭✭
    They were bought en masses by GolfWRX’ers who are square in the P790 target demographic. Had to have them the moment they came out.

Now the market is flooded. Used pricing will take a hit, no doubt. Happens all the time with trendy Callaway or Taylormade releases that generate a lot of buzz here and on other forums.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
    cardia10 wrote:
    After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.
    edited Aug 6, 2018 #3389

They were bought en masses by GolfWRX’ers who are square in the P790 target demographic. Had to have them the moment they came out.

Now the market is flooded. Used pricing will take a hit, no doubt. Happens all the time with trendy Callaway or Taylormade releases that generate a lot of buzz here and on other forums.
    Yeah, be like Warren Buffet and run in the opposite direction of the herd!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    BiggErn wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.
    PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.
    SMUGamer wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.

Well I know somebody that’s has a set of P790’s with them in it.