Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts  1748WRX Points: 136Members Posts: 1,748 Platinum Tees
    Shakester wrote:

I like the P790 but am exchanging them for P770. The distance is nice, but my distance was all over the place with the P790. I'd hit 10 shots at my local indoor range that uses GC2 with my 7 iron and I'd hit 5 shots at a distance I'd expect (168-172). I'd also hit one that carried 180 and another one at 162. According to the data, my clubhead speed didn't vary much and my strikes were consistently center-toe. Attack angles were all similar as well. I took a P770 7 iron and hit 10 shots and all of them were consistent. I carried them about 160-165 and much straighter. For me, I think predictability becomes more valuable which is why I'm making the switch.

Can you recall what the other data variables were. According to Flightscope optimizer, the broad sensitivities for an average 7 iron are

1,000rpm spin change = 4 yards carry

2 mph ball speed change = 3 yards

2 degrees launch = 1mph as long as launch was sensible to start with so not much effect

So I'm guessing that anyone seeing big carry variances (like your 18 yards) must be down to both spin and ball speed changes as you'd need a combo along the lines of 2,500 RPM and 5mph ball speed variance for that. I'm a mid-high spin player who is also a digger and have had zero distance control issues with the 790's and also found the same with the i500's - I had both of them on a launch monitor for a long session yesterday. Maybe a sweeper who is also a lower spin player might be more inclined to get one that is a groove or two lower on the face and that is impacting on spin and ballspeed?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo!  668WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 668 Golden Tee
    chisag wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club longer and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

... I spent 6 weeks playing everyday inPhoenix this past M arch/April and absolutely loved Whirlwind although I played my P790's on Devils Claw. You really need to dial in distance on an unfamiliar course and the P790's were spot on. Hotting our 2nd shot into 18 a Bobcat just sauntered past the back of the green like he/she was out for a stroll. Just a visual treat the entire round.

Was that bobcat playing a SLDR C?
    Posted:
  • paul.smootpaul.smoot  36WRX Points: 0Handicap: 1.9Members Posts: 36
    I haven’t posted anything on this site since about 2008...... the hate these irons are getting is biased towards the brand name on them. If they had a missy logo things would be different... however, golfwrx forgive me ... that brand was most relevant back in 1999.... ( they make amazing irons) tour dominance?..... look I’m not a “stick” but I was a stand out junior golfer back when mizzy blades were the “thing” even the re-stamped thing.. I can drop names from a old school tour builder that rhymes with a famous guitar company... I’m old (miles not years) broken combat vet who at one time... the late Lee Elder said had “it”. I wasted “it” after my time in the military. However, I had enough to play NAIA golf in OR/ I competed in the event mentioned on this site with the top college players.... my score was very very high ... A testament to the play of the Canadian player who shot a 4ball scramble score of 62 on that narrow OR coast track. My point is ... I’m not a “stick” I am a “has been” that can still break par ( wine-valley in WA, D1and D2 schools present) I had a low 2nd round score (70 par 72) on the back end of walking 36. I have a P790 story that will make the hate more angry/ the fan boys happy/ the “others”.... hopefully will go out and try to find what works. This is my 790 story/ love affair/ almost BST story:

I’m a mid to low spin guy. Played the TP5x / Penta before that .... yes I’m a TM fan boy not by choice ( I rebuilt everything I’ve gotten from TM to fit me) pm me to find out why I stick with TM if you want to know. However, this iron performs if you SPIN IT ENOUGH.... I didn’t change the ball I played it cost me my third club championship at Springfield Golf Club in OR... I don’t say that in a way that would be disrespectful to the champion or his performance... it is only from the perspective of hind-sight ... I could have made more puts... he could have too.. However not having ENOUGH SPIN is a bad thing. I recently made a ball change, the 300-600 rpms have made the a incredible difference for me. Yes I gained a clubish in distance with the iron change... does it really matter .... no. After the correct club/ball/shaft combo everything works.... I can hit 3 yd carry gaps with my irons.... I just can’t hit fairway with a putter off the tee.... the take away is this.... these irons don’t have hot spots , dynamic vs static loft +spinrate does..

Two sets both built by will
    On -, @thepeoplesclubs old gamers : RSI TP (tour issue) 2*strong ( vs std for that model) 4-9 w UST proto 125 x softstep +1” with a old udi 3i ( nunchuck iron shaft) also +” / TM 790 3-9 1* weak 3i with the same nunchuck and 4-9 same shaft as above.... before the ball change from tp5x to b330 ... ie exact gamer ball plus almost the same build the 790s were all over in distance... high nuckles that flew ... sometimes I hit the 9i 180 carry .... none sim actual real world golf course data. My driver SS has huge variations .. 105-125 ... ( high side verification from a teacher with top end equipment in the Eugene OR area) my current distance chart will follow after my rant.. if you get the 790s dump the PW ... if you have one throw it out.. imo.. get whatever wedge your playing get the strongest one they offer and bend it 1.5 strong... ie I have last years TM wedge in 47* actual is probably 45.5. I also ported it myself and added weight high in the face to balance it to the rest of the set...

RSI TP w UST Proto 125 f5 (soft) +1” & 2*strong

3- 215- 220 ( nunchuck iron shaft) same spec

4- 203

5- 190

6- 182

7- 172

8- 165

9-152

(Carry average)

TM 790 - 1* weak (from oem std) 3-9 +1” ( same nunchuck shaft in the 3i as the older udi)

3 - 230- 280 ( I have had as long as 280 of teeing grounds with favorable conditions... witnessed... I will provide names dates and location via pm on the distance high side)

4- 213

5- 203

6- 195

7-182

8- 170

9- 163

(Carry averaging since early May)

Take away: these irons are hot. Distances ARE CONSISTENT with the correct spin rates... ( I don’t have track man numbers ... try a higher spining ball like I did.... your short game will thank you ... and unless your on the LD circuit I call bullsh*t on your 17L17S track man data you posted for either cally or TM’s newest and latest... ( both are great clubs) let’s be real online warriors... we don’t really hit it 295 in the air every time... I doubt the golfers average is much over 280 in the “stick” club. I drop and stop with these irons into the 5 ... with hard baked out forestfire conditions in Oregon currently. Distance gaps are larger yes.... instead of one chokedown spot I have two for most clubs... (I played KZG ZO blades back in the day with better distance gaping then mizzy could ever produce). I can still hit 3-5 carry gaps honestly if I practice or play more then twice a week I think I can get it down to 2-3. GET FITTED!!! This iron may not work for you. However it is a great OMG forgiving club that is WORKABLE high low left and right... it is fast off the face and, with enough SPIN it flat out performs... trust me I almost gave up on mine.
    Posted:
    [font=georgia,serif]WITB:
    Driver: TM ,(17) M1 8.5* /HZDRUS T1100 (High Draw neutral)[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]FW: TM, (17) M1 3HL /GD DI 6x (Draw Open)[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]IRONS: TM, 3 UDI/ Nventix Nunchuck [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]4-9 RSI TP/ Recoil Proto F5 [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Wedges: TM TP EF, 47* 52*/ Recoil Proto F5 [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Fourteen, RM 22 58*/ Recoil Proto Wedge [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Putter: Both Counterbalanced/ either Nike BB01 or TM DJ spider [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Ball: TM TP5X[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]MISC: Big time thank you to
    On -, @thepeoplesclubs.com/ thepeoplesclubs.com is the only thing I can say for sure will not leave my bag anytime soon.[/font]
    paul.smoot wrote:

I haven’t posted anything on this site since about 2008...... the hate these irons are getting is biased towards the brand name on them. If they had a missy logo things would be different... however, golfwrx forgive me ... that brand was most relevant back in 1999.... ( they make amazing irons) tour dominance?..... look I’m not a “stick” but I was a stand out junior golfer back when mizzy blades were the “thing” even the re-stamped thing.. I can drop names from a old school tour builder that rhymes with a famous guitar company... I’m old (miles not years) broken combat vet who at one time... the late Lee Elder said had “it”. I wasted “it” after my time in the military. However, I had enough to play NAIA golf in OR/ I competed in the event mentioned on this site with the top college players.... my score was very very high ... A testament to the play of the Canadian player who shot a 4ball scramble score of 62 on that narrow OR coast track. My point is ... I’m not a “stick” I am a “has been” that can still break par ( wine-valley in WA, D1and D2 schools present) I had a low 2nd round score (70 par 72) on the back end of walking 36. I have a P790 story that will make the hate more angry/ the fan boys happy/ the “others”.... hopefully will go out and try to find what works. This is my 790 story/ love affair/ almost BST story:

I’m a mid to low spin guy. Played the TP5x / Penta before that .... yes I’m a TM fan boy not by choice ( I rebuilt everything I’ve gotten from TM to fit me) pm me to find out why I stick with TM if you want to know. However, this iron performs if you SPIN IT ENOUGH.... I didn’t change the ball I played it cost me my third club championship at Springfield Golf Club in OR... I don’t say that in a way that would be disrespectful to the champion or his performance... it is only from the perspective of hind-sight ... I could have made more puts... he could have too.. However not having ENOUGH SPIN is a bad thing. I recently made a ball change, the 300-600 rpms have made the a incredible difference for me. Yes I gained a clubish in distance with the iron change... does it really matter .... no. After the correct club/ball/shaft combo everything works.... I can hit 3 yd carry gaps with my irons.... I just can’t hit fairway with a putter off the tee.... the take away is this.... these irons don’t have hot spots , dynamic vs static loft +spinrate does..

Two sets both built by will
    On -, @thepeoplesclubs old gamers : RSI TP (tour issue) 2*strong ( vs std for that model) 4-9 w UST proto 125 x softstep +1” with a old udi 3i ( nunchuck iron shaft) also +” / TM 790 3-9 1* weak 3i with the same nunchuck and 4-9 same shaft as above.... before the ball change from tp5x to b330 ... ie exact gamer ball plus almost the same build the 790s were all over in distance... high nuckles that flew ... sometimes I hit the 9i 180 carry .... none sim actual real world golf course data. My driver SS has huge variations .. 105-125 ... ( high side verification from a teacher with top end equipment in the Eugene OR area) my current distance chart will follow after my rant.. if you get the 790s dump the PW ... if you have one throw it out.. imo.. get whatever wedge your playing get the strongest one they offer and bend it 1.5 strong... ie I have last years TM wedge in 47* actual is probably 45.5. I also ported it myself and added weight high in the face to balance it to the rest of the set...

RSI TP w UST Proto 125 f5 (soft) +1” & 2*strong

3- 215- 220 ( nunchuck iron shaft) same spec

4- 203

5- 190

6- 182

7- 172

8- 165

9-152

(Carry average)

TM 790 - 1* weak (from oem std) 3-9 +1” ( same nunchuck shaft in the 3i as the older udi)

3 - 230- 280 ( I have had as long as 280 of teeing grounds with favorable conditions... witnessed... I will provide names dates and location via pm on the distance high side)

4- 213

5- 203

6- 195

7-182

8- 170

9- 163

(Carry averaging since early May)

Take away: these irons are hot. Distances ARE CONSISTENT with the correct spin rates... ( I don’t have track man numbers ... try a higher spining ball like I did.... your short game will thank you ... and unless your on the LD circuit I call bullsh*t on your 17L17S track man data you posted for either cally or TM’s newest and latest... ( both are great clubs) let’s be real online warriors... we don’t really hit it 295 in the air every time... I doubt the golfers average is much over 280 in the “stick” club. I drop and stop with these irons into the 5 ... with hard baked out forestfire conditions in Oregon currently. Distance gaps are larger yes.... instead of one chokedown spot I have two for most clubs... (I played KZG ZO blades back in the day with better distance gaping then mizzy could ever produce). I can still hit 3-5 carry gaps honestly if I practice or play more then twice a week I think I can get it down to 2-3. GET FITTED!!! This iron may not work for you. However it is a great OMG forgiving club that is WORKABLE high low left and right... it is fast off the face and, with enough SPIN it flat out performs... trust me I almost gave up on mine.
    Posted:
    [font=georgia,serif]Putter: Both Counterbalanced/ either Nike BB01 or TM DJ spider [/font]
    On -, @thepeoplesclubs.com/ thepeoplesclubs.com is the only thing I can say for sure will not leave my bag anytime soon.[/font]
  • chisagchisag Chicago Suburbs 3181WRX Points: 505Handicap: +0.3Members Posts: 3,181 Titanium Tees
    noodle3872 wrote:

chisag wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club longer and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

... I spent 6 weeks playing everyday inPhoenix this past M arch/April and absolutely loved Whirlwind although I played my P790's on Devils Claw. You really need to dial in distance on an unfamiliar course and the P790's were spot on. Hotting our 2nd shot into 18 a Bobcat just sauntered past the back of the green like he/she was out for a stroll. Just a visual treat the entire round.

Yet you avatar is a set of Mizuno irons. How long until the P790’s are avatar worthy?

... You see what you want to see. My avatar is 11 different irons and only one of them is a MIzuno. MP63, AP2, RBZ Tour, Nike Forged Combo, 588TT's, Lynx MC Forged and Cobra Forged Tours along with Scratch, Bettinradi, Vokey and Harry Taylor wedges. All irons I own and the picture was taken before I picked up my P790's and Honma 737's.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
    Ok I lied about the posting in 2008... I joined in 2009 ... so adjust the date to 2009 ... Also I’m leaving my old WITB up to verify my old set up. I am not affiliated with Taylormade in anyway... my new WITB :

17 TM m2 Tensi White TX 75 ish

Same 3/4 WD

790 UDI 2 ( on the bench until I find a good shaft for it)

790 3-9 sane shafts as listed above

47* TM Wedge ( same as listed)

50* spin milled with money taper

64* TM high toe ( stock of the rack+lead tape)

TM Vault “lucky” putter IDK what the model is.... ( I was drunk hoeing online don’t judge)

Ball- BStone B330

ADD: continued shoutout to Will ...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • chisagchisag Chicago Suburbs 3181WRX Points: 505Handicap: +0.3Members Posts: 3,181 Titanium Tees
    ... Good stuff paul.smoot. but I think "stick" is certainly relative. Most of the guys I play with think at age 65 and because I regularly shoot under par (on pretty easy tracks) I should be on the Champions Tour, which is a nice compliment but most definitely laughable. Playing with a mini tour guy and the #1 player on his D1 squad in Orlando last January I was clearly a hack. I remember just nutting a hybrid to a nice pitch range from 247 while from the same distance the mini tour guy flew a 4 iron with a slight cut around the trees guarding the front to pin high and the D1 player dropped a 4 iron over a lake and a bunker guarding the right side of the green from 239 to a few feet.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon  201WRX Points: 42Members Posts: 201 Fairways
    Outside of the personal stuff thrown out this has been a fascinating thread for me. So many times with equipment I tend to question myself, and I wanted the 790s to work for me because they are magic for so many. It seems pretty clear - if you spin a "normal" 7 iron over 6000, these are magic, if you spin it 5000-6000, they are great, if you're spinning it in the 4000's you could have some issues with consistent distances (again, not saying this as a rule, just as a working theory). For me, I am actually taking lessons to improve my swing path to hopefully get a higher spin rate and these next year when they are probably replaced by something else, will be in my bag once they are the right fit for me. Right now the Srixons end up being a better fit.
    Posted:
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch  561WRX Points: 31Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 561 Golden Tee
    On -, @paul.smoot Why should I not get the pitching wedge?

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2728WRX Points: 614Members Posts: 2,728 Titanium Tees
    On the dock should be here tomorrow
    Posted:
  • WarrickWarrick  11133WRX Points: 1,066ClubWRX Posts: 11,133 ClubWRX
    I chickened out on a blacked out 3 iron with black DG105 during the ebay sale yesterday. I still kinda want one, won't hit on range so should not wear too bad. It can always go in the back up bag, as that slot is currently open.

Trying to find a deal now....lol.
    Posted:
    GBB 9* Ventus Black 
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-9 LZ Blackout 
    Mizuno T7 - 45-49-53-58 LZ Blackout 
    Toulon Portland 
    TM TP5X

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8890WRX Points: 1,189Members Posts: 8,890 Titanium Tees
    Anybody else noticing they have more draw/over draw/pulls with these? Gaming them now all season and my miss used to be a bad pushy cut but now everything goes right on me (I'm lefty). I checked the lie angles from the OEM and they seem to be .5 to 1* more upright than other OEMs. Wondering if people here had to go flat a degree or two in order to get a straighter flight?
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Warrick wrote:
    I chickened out on a blacked out 3 iron with black DG105 during the ebay sale yesterday. I still kinda want one, won't hit on range so should not wear too bad. It can always go in the back up bag, as that slot is currently open.

Trying to find a deal now....lol.

I did too. They look pretty and I know they will wear more but when I saw the warning sticker on them I immediately went with the Chrome.
    Posted:
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou  2013WRX Points: 163Members Posts: 2,013 Platinum Tees
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Anybody else noticing they have more draw/over draw/pulls with these? Gaming them now all season and my miss used to be a bad pushy cut but now everything goes right on me (I'm lefty). I checked the lie angles from the OEM and they seem to be .5 to 1* more upright than other OEMs. Wondering if people here had to go flat a degree or two in order to get a straighter flight?

Yes same here on two various fittings. I ended up going 3 degrees flat on my custom order with Modus 130S straight in vs SSX1, that I had planned. For my swing now, I get powerful straight ball flight with predictable workability for cuts and draws (slightly easier to draw still).
    Posted:

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8890WRX Points: 1,189Members Posts: 8,890 Titanium Tees
    evoviiiyou wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Yes same here on two various fittings. I ended up going 3 degrees flat on my custom order with Modus 130S straight in vs SSX1, that I had planned. For my swing now, I get powerful straight ball flight with predictable workability for cuts and draws (slightly easier to draw still).

Interesting for sure. I may have mine bent a degree flat and see what happens... maybe even moving up to 120X ssx1 as well.
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    3w - '16 Tour Issue M1 (16.5*) | Diamana B 70
    5w - '17 M1 | Tensei Pro Blue 70
    4h - 818H1 | Tensei Pro White 90
    Irons - P760 5-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - Custom EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• ShakesterShakester  608WRX Points: 132Handicap: 9Members Posts: 608 Golden Tee

Shakester wrote:

I like the P790 but am exchanging them for P770. The distance is nice, but my distance was all over the place with the P790. I'd hit 10 shots at my local indoor range that uses GC2 with my 7 iron and I'd hit 5 shots at a distance I'd expect (168-172). I'd also hit one that carried 180 and another one at 162. According to the data, my clubhead speed didn't vary much and my strikes were consistently center-toe. Attack angles were all similar as well. I took a P770 7 iron and hit 10 shots and all of them were consistent. I carried them about 160-165 and much straighter. For me, I think predictability becomes more valuable which is why I'm making the switch.

Can you recall what the other data variables were. According to Flightscope optimizer, the broad sensitivities for an average 7 iron are

1,000rpm spin change = 4 yards carry

2 mph ball speed change = 3 yards

2 degrees launch = 1mph as long as launch was sensible to start with so not much effect

So I'm guessing that anyone seeing big carry variances (like your 18 yards) must be down to both spin and ball speed changes as you'd need a combo along the lines of 2,500 RPM and 5mph ball speed variance for that. I'm a mid-high spin player who is also a digger and have had zero distance control issues with the 790's and also found the same with the i500's - I had both of them on a launch monitor for a long session yesterday. Maybe a sweeper who is also a lower spin player might be more inclined to get one that is a groove or two lower on the face and that is impacting on spin and ballspeed?

I honestly don't remember those numbers. I probably glanced at them but didn't take note.
    Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 9 degrees (Aldila Rogue 60) 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x

Advertisement

On -, @paul.smoot Why should I not get the pitching wedge?

Posted:
    Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I’ve had massive consistency issues with it. It “feels”/“felt” like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.
    Posted:
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing  1682WRX Points: 121Members Posts: 1,682 Platinum Tees
    paul.smoot wrote:

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I've had massive consistency issues with it. It "feels"/"felt" like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.
    Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would not trade them in on any another brand out there. I know other brands out there that are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. I love my P790's, Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be if that is what you decide to do.
    Posted:
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch  561WRX Points: 31Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 561 Golden Tee
    paul.smoot wrote:

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I’ve had massive consistency issues with it. It “feels”/“felt” like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Where does Taylormade custom shop ship from?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AC168AC168  864WRX Points: 110Handicap: 2Members Posts: 864 Golden Tee
    I’ve found this iron to be great ... though I’ve switched to super spinny balls 330s or Pro V1x.
    Posted:
  • SlamminSamuelSlamminSamuel  15WRX Points: 20Handicap: 15Members Posts: 15 Bunkers
    Warrick wrote:
    anyone use the 3i as a DI?

I am kicking around a black 790 3i with black DG105/S300, just for fun.

I am. 218ish on the money with the DG105 for me off a tee. I admittedly struggle of the deck with it but it's pretty consistent when I've got it on a peg. Considered doing the whole bent forward a degree or two and throw a hzrdus in it but it does what I need it to do presently so I haven't bothered.
    Posted:
    TM Aeroburner Driver - 10.5
    TM Rocketballz 3W - 15
    TM SLDR 4H - 21
    TM 2011 Rescue - 23.5
    Ping S55 Orange Dot
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-02 33.5"
    BiggErn wrote:
    On the dock should be here tomorrow

Well not sure if they’ll be here tomorrow or not. Over 10 hours ago I called and the guy said they are on the dock waiting to ship and will be in my hands tomorrow. Still no tracking info and order status still says “being processed”. Maybe FedEx 1 day delivers on Saturday and they’ll ship tomorrow.

Edit* And 30 minutes later I get an email with tracking and they wil be here tomorrow
    Posted:
    My set (4-9iron) has been sitting unused in my garage for 3 weeks now. They came in the day before I left for my holiday so I haven’t been able to play them. The agony!
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
  • mweaver84mweaver84  535WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 535
    Warrick wrote:

anyone use the 3i as a DI?

I am kicking around a black 790 3i with black DG105/S300, just for fun.

I have a P790 3 iron I bought for this purpose. Haven't been super impressed with the club myself. Hate the feel of it compared to my current 3 iron. It does go longer (lower loft), might play around with it some more but right now I feel like I will be taking it out of the bag soon.
    Posted:
    TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
    TM M4 3 wood
    TM p790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
    Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Advertisement
    If anyone has any of the black tour velvets with the orange cap that comes on the Black P790’s and wants to part with them give me a shout. I can purchase or trade some stock gray ones that come on the Chrome P790’s. I had the black/orange installed on my chrome ones but would like a couple extra for a couple other clubs. I put gray on my wedges yesterday but like to do black/orange on a couple others.
    Posted:
  • KMeloneyKMeloney  4992WRX Points: 296Handicap:[email protected] 7Members Posts: 4,992 Titanium Tees
    Tiptx1122 wrote:
    paul.smoot wrote:

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I've had massive consistency issues with it. It "feels"/"felt" like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.
    Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would trade them in on another brand. I know others out there are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be.

Why did you assume he’s ditching the whole set and getting replacement clubs? He said he has had issues with the P-wedge, not the whole set.

...And what does “I’m totally satisfied with my P790s and would trade them in on a new brand” mean? Why would you trade them in on something different if you’re 100% satisfied with them?
    Posted:
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing  1682WRX Points: 121Members Posts: 1,682 Platinum Tees
    KMeloney wrote:

Tiptx1122 wrote:
    paul.smoot wrote:

Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would trade them in on another brand. I know others out there are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be.

Why did you assume he’s ditching the whole set and getting replacement clubs? He said he has had issues with the P-wedge, not the whole set.

...And what does “I’m totally satisfied with my P790s and would trade them in on a new brand” mean? Why would you trade them in on something different if you’re 100% satisfied with them?
    It just sounded like he was un happy with his purchase. I did say I'm sure TM would fix his club for him as I also meant I would not trade my set in on anything else out there, I Love mine. Typo on my part, it has been corrected. I just finish a good round where I was even par thru 7 then boogied the last 2 holes thanks to bad shots with my Ryoma 3W and SM7 52* and ended up shooting par for 9 holes. So far after a dozen rounds I'm averaging 80% GIR and 68.7% Fairways hit. Putting and short game needs a lot of work.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • mweaver84mweaver84  535WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 535
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

So far after a dozen rounds I'm averaging 80% GIR

The top pros are only around 70%, feel like I should be watching you on TV right now! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Just kidding, I'm just jealous. That is pretty impressive
    Posted:
    TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
    TM M4 3 wood
    TM p790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
    Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.