Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    akim47 wrote:

question for those w 790 iron sets - did you have to reduce the loft gap between either your 9 iron and PW (ie using vokey sm7 PW); or your PW and GW (ie P790 PW and SM7 GW) ? For example, if the P790 PW is a 45 deg, a common wedge set might be 50-54-58 or something like that. Was just curious if the difference between a P790 and a non-790 wedge (gap) would be such that one should go 48 or 49 deg on the GW to keep consistent yardage caps between clubs.

Also, Not sure why people keep calling these distance irons. I haven't found them (via demo) unworkable at all. If not obvious, I'm far from an elite level ball-striker with a control over trajectory/ shape/ distance.

Last question - has anyone tried the P790s with both the PX's (6.0) and PX LZ (6.0)? Was curious to get some feedback. I wasn't able to demo the PX LZ, but feel like I would like the softer feel and loading of the LZ - with the only concern that spin rates would be noticeably higher over the PX. Was recommended the PX 6.0s at fitting.

I am at a 50,54,58 wedge setup!
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • KimRIPKimRIP Members Posts: 3
    Love my P790's

Saw some questions about the durability of the foam inside, anyone know anything about this? How long can we expect to see the optimal consistent performance?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did the search and saw nothing and don't have the time to go through all 116 pages on this thread.
    TM M3 8.5* Tensei Silver XS
    Rogue 15* Diamana Blue XS 75g
    Rogue 19* Diamana Blue XS 75g
    GAPR Low 4I Ozik Red XS 80g
    TM P790 5 - 7 Nippon NS S 95g
    TM 760 8 - PW Nippon NS S 95g
    Vokey 50 54 60
    Artisan 0217
  • OokluhOokluh Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    KimRIP wrote:

Love my P790's

Saw some questions about the durability of the foam inside, anyone know anything about this? How long can we expect to see the optimal consistent performance?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I did the search and saw nothing and don't have the time to go through all 116 pages on this thread.

I did some Google-fu on this recently and came across a question on TM's website, I believe. The TM answer was that older forms of injection foam used different materials, but they claim that their current SpeedFoam is much more durable and should not wear down over time. Obviously this is coming from a biased source, but probably about the only answer we will have until many years pass and the irons prove/fail that idea themselves
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    taoslcl wrote:

mkirsh wrote:
    taoslcl wrote:

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Similar to you, I'm about a 13 handicap coming from i20s. Wanted to like the i500 as I'm a Ping fanboy and I love the looks, but the 790 felt and performed better for me. I've only got 2 rounds and a few range sessions with them so far, but I would say they are certainly longer, but progressively so - mostly in the 7 and longer irons, and only a little longer in the 8-W so gaps are a little more spread out but no huge steps (ie i probably picked up 5 yards on the wedge but 10 on the 4-7, but take this with a gain of salt as I'm not that consistent or precise!). They are more forgiving but only a little - thin shots and toe shots (which tend to be my miss) fly a little lower but go close to the same distance as well struck shots, which is a positive vs my i20s, but I find the long irons slightly more demanding as the i20/25 4 iron has a healthy amount of offset and is super easy to launch high. I haven't had the massive flyer that folks seem to be worried about. Unfortunately I can also confirm that the hosel is as unforgiving as the i20/25.
    Thanks for the info. Im at a spot where i really want to tinker but with a house purchase and a wedding I think I'm just gonna hold out till next year. Funny thing is I'm playing my best iron game in years right now and have my i25 distances so dialed I can't imagine new irons are gonna get me any strokes. I'm mostly just want something new to tinker with but too much adulting!

Maybe just buy the P790 3 or 4 iron and add it to your i25’s?
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    edited Aug 25, 2018 #3546
    KMeloney wrote:

Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

I’m interested in this as well. Will the Steelfiber i95’s I currently have in some Adams Idea Pro Gold forged work in my TM 790 heads?

Can anyone answer this question?
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • GolfyGolfyGolfyGolfy Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    So is the black holding up?
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭
    So I'm 10 rounds in with my 790s and they just keep getting better. I've not had a single flyer and distance control has been exactly where I need it to be now I've learnt the distance gain I got over my previous irons. Might have to add the UDI 2 to the set as the 4 iron has been seriously impressive
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,331 ClubWRX
    GolfyGolfy wrote:

I picked up a black 3i with the black DG105, hit maybe 6-8 times on course, can't really tell it has been hit.

I was not overly excited, probably dump it....
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:
    GolfyGolfy wrote:

I picked up a black 3i with the black DG105, hit maybe 6-8 times on course, can't really tell it has been hit.

Really?? That’s a bummer man....
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,331 ClubWRX
    averysdad wrote:

Warrick wrote:
    GolfyGolfy wrote:

I am just not a 3 iron guy I guess, hit my 4 great, but just better with the 3H.

Oh well.
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:
    averysdad wrote:

Warrick wrote:
    GolfyGolfy wrote:

I am just not a 3 iron guy I guess, hit my 4 great, but just better with the 3H.

Oh well.

Maybe try the GAPR low or mid....don’t know why, but that mid intrigues me.
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
    I now have about 40 rounds with my P790's and have gone from a 6 index to a 4. Best irons I have ever played and I can't be happier with them. I would recommend them to anyone.
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,563 ClubWRX
    NevinW wrote:

I now have about 40 rounds with my P790's and have gone from a 6 index to a 4. Best irons I have ever played and I can't be happier with them. I would recommend them to anyone.

my index is down 3.5 points since i put them in the bag, the funniest part is that it would be a 5 points if i never swapped out my ping ketsch putter

time to right that wrong this weekend.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 688 ✭✭
    mkirsh wrote:

taoslcl wrote:

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread...can anyone compare forgiveness of these to Ping i25? I'm still playing about a 15 index and have been looking at going to something more forgiving like G400s but in testing I felt like I hit the p790s the best and just loved the feeling off the face. My iron game is hit and miss and shanks creep into my game 1-2x round so am looking for all the help I can get on the bad ones. Thanks!

Similar to you, I'm about a 13 handicap coming from i20s. Wanted to like the i500 as I'm a Ping fanboy and I love the looks, but the 790 felt and performed better for me. I've only got 2 rounds and a few range sessions with them so far, but I would say they are certainly longer, but progressively so - mostly in the 7 and longer irons, and only a little longer in the 8-W so gaps are a little more spread out but no huge steps (ie i probably picked up 5 yards on the wedge but 10 on the 4-7, but take this with a gain of salt as I'm not that consistent or precise!). They are more forgiving but only a little - thin shots and toe shots (which tend to be my miss) fly a little lower but go close to the same distance as well struck shots, which is a positive vs my i20s, but I find the long irons slightly more demanding as the i20/25 4 iron has a healthy amount of offset and is super easy to launch high. I haven't had the massive flyer that folks seem to be worried about. Unfortunately I can also confirm that the hosel is as unforgiving as the i20/25.

So my buddy has the p790s, I still rock i20s (i don't think there is much difference in i20 vs i25) - he used to be at least a club behind me, with same age clubs (he was hitting whatever the vintage of TM was at that time). He's caught up with me in length, no discernable difference in swing speed for either of us. I hit his 7 iron for giggles on the range, just piercing trajectory, great ball fight. If I was upgrading I'd seriously consider them a contender.

I do have the p790 UDI but its more of a specialty club than an iron, but same thing. Definitely some performance in the technology.
  • stoneydukesstoneydukes ClubWRX Posts: 313 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 27, 2018 #3556
    For anyone who has had the lie angle adjusted on these, is the hosel a really soft forging? Just trying to get a sense for how much damage I should expect to see the the lies are adjusted. Also, called TM and they said they'd do the adjustments for me there for free if I paid for shipping. Wondering if the likelihood of them getting done correctly is higher sending them to TM rather than my local PGA SS or Golf Galaxy. PGA SS wants $32 for the whole set and I think GG wants $5/club.

Thanks in advance
    TaylorMade M5 Tour AD TP6S or HZRDUS Smoke 70S
    Cobra F7 3-4 15.5* Fujikura Pro 65S
    Cobra F7 3H Fujikura Pro 75S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120S
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 60
    EvnRoll ER2
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,055 ✭✭

For anyone who has had the lie angle adjusted on these, is the hosel a really soft forging? Just trying to get a sense for how much damage I should expect to see the the lies are adjusted. Also, called TM and they said they'd do the adjustments for me there for free if I paid for shipping. Wondering if the likelihood of them getting done correctly is higher sending them to TM rather than my local PGA SS or Golf Galaxy. PGA SS wants $32 for the whole set and I think GG wants $5/club.

Thanks in advance

The heads are cast of 8620. Not terrible to bend, but not as easy as a forged head. I had a set and have a bending machine and made some adjustments without any damage.

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 10.5* (9.5*), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13* (14.5*), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18* (17.0*), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19* (20.0*), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #2 DI, KBS TGI 100 X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, LE DG TI AMT x100 ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, LE DG TI AMT x100 ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50* Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, LE DG TI AMT x100 ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

• Bar_StrollBar_Stroll Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.
    Taylormade M4 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 995 65X
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ - Fujikura Atmos TS Red 8X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Hybrid - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4 50.10S C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4, 54.10S and 58.08C - KBS 610
    Bobby Grace "Night and Day"
  • chch3chch3 Members Posts: 817 ✭✭
    Bar_Stroll wrote:

I must be one of the few who cannot seem to hit these darn things. I went into my fitting wanting to love the 790's and for some reason just could not hit them very well with any shaft.

Just recently I started to try out driving irons and bought the p790 UDI with Tensei Pro White 100TX and have never been more excited about getting a club. I cannot hit the thing to save my life. I have tried it for a few rounds, some range balls, choked up, with lead tape, nothing I do can make me comfortable with it. Exactly how I felt with the set 6i. I'll have the UDI on BTS tonight as I just can't hit it consistent.

I don't know what it is with me and these heads but I just can't "find it" in my swing. They are stunning looking clubs though.

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.
    Cobra F6 Baffler // Diamana D+ 80
    Cobra F7 Hybrid // ATMOS Blue
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
    Ping Tour Gorge 52 // Project X
    Callaway PM Grind 56 // Project X
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:

GolfyGolfy wrote:

Your not filling me with confidence brother! In going to try it for the first time tomorrow. But it's at a course I've been to twice. There is a couple holes that will be a good test for it.
    Tmag M3 440 9° Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Tmag M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Aldila Xtorsion Green 85TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-hi 18° GD Tour AD 95X
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5. 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Mizuno MP-A308 or Odyssey O-works T3 Black
    Titleist 2017 or 2019 Pro-V1
  • odshot68odshot68 Members Posts: 7,859 ✭✭
    I also hated them. Had them a couple weeks and scores elevated. Went out and swapped for a set of Titleist cb irons. Down to scratch now, way better workability and distance control. Not for everyone. I did keep the 3 iron and put a standard dynamic gold shaft in.

Mizuno ST190G 10 deg Driver Atmos Black 6X Tour Spec
    Mizuno ST190 3TS 14 deg Atmos Black 7S Tour Spec
    Mizuno CLK #4 22 deg Fujikura Speeder Evo 75 HB Stiff
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Dynamic Gold S300
    Vokey SM7 Tour Chrome 50.12F, 56.10S, 60.04L S200
    Bettinardi BB29 Putter

chch3 wrote:

Bar_Stroll wrote:

Check the swing weights of your clubs. I struggled with the P790's when I hit them too. I tend to be very sensitive to swing weights, and I am used to playing irons around D4-D5, but in my experience the P790's play on the light side. I couldn't hit them to save my life. I have the UDI with a Tensei Pro White 90TX. I had to add almost 8 grams to the head to get it back to D0 at 40 inches. I would like to play it at 39.25 inches, but I would have to add a mountain of lead tape to get it to where I want it to be around D4. I bought a 100TX to put in it to help alleviate some of the swing weight issues, but I might just move on from the P790 UDI and try something else. I might go back to my original UDI.

Take a look at this thread as it shows how TM is using weight cartridges in their irons. I've just removed a 10g weight from my Hi toe as it was playing too heavy but you will see that weights up to 14g can be incorporated in the hosel cavity

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1685548-hi-toe-wedge-shaft-insertion-depth/
  • XratedXrated Members Posts: 2
    edited Aug 27, 2018 #3563
    Here is my feedback after 6 weeks with these irons. I am currently a 14 handicap, my last 6 rounds are 87, 85, 84, 77 and 82, 81 with these irons. My game is getting better, handicap is going to drop like a rock in a few days, and I am winning so much money off the buddies I cannot get strokes anymore. I went from forged Wood Bros to Mizuno JPX 800 for 4 years and wanted to go back to something forgiving that I could work. Right now I am close to dialing these in. I noticed right away my mishits sucked with these iron, so I try much harder to flush the ball and and it is paying dividends. I really like the smaller club head and no offset. I had these custom fitted, cannot attest to added distance, but will say I am getitng them higher and straighter so far, and hitting more GIR's.
    TM M2, 10.5, Aldila VS Stiff
    TM Rocketballs, Stage 2, 15 degree, Aldila Prolite Stiff
    Calloway 22 & 19 BB OS, Recoil 660 R
    TM P790 customs, 5-AW, TT DG105 Reg
    Calloway Mac Daddy 3, 52 & 56 TT DG Reg
    Wilson Chicago putter, Michigan Ave
  • chch3chch3 Members Posts: 817 ✭✭

chch3 wrote:

Bar_Stroll wrote:

Take a look at this thread as it shows how TM is using weight cartridges in their irons. I've just removed a 10g weight from my Hi toe as it was playing too heavy but you will see that weights up to 14g can be incorporated in the hosel cavity

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1685548-hi-toe-wedge-shaft-insertion-depth/
    Thanks man. I wish I could get a hold of some of those weights.
    Cobra F6 Baffler // Diamana D+ 80
    Cobra F7 Hybrid // ATMOS Blue
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
    Ping Tour Gorge 52 // Project X
    Callaway PM Grind 56 // Project X
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black
  • 2717B2717B Members Posts: 265 ✭✭
    **** wrote:

Here is my feedback after 6 weeks with these irons. I am currently a 14 handicap, my last 6 rounds are 87, 85, 84, 77 and 82, 81 with these irons. My game is getting better, handicap is going to drop like a rock in a few days, and I am winning so much money off the buddies I cannot get strokes anymore. I went from forged Wood Bros to Mizuno JPX 800 for 4 years and wanted to go back to something forgiving that I could work. Right now I am close to dialing these in. I noticed right away my mishits sucked with these iron, so I try much harder to flush the ball and and it is paying dividends. I really like the smaller club head and no offset. I had these custom fitted, cannot attest to added distance, but will say I am getitng them higher and straighter so far, and hitting more GIR's.

I now have 2 rounds in with my new 790’s. Very very early first impressions are that they are about a club longer than I expected, and they are about as forgiving as my MX200 Mizunos. I did score my low round of the season (73) on Sunday! Also gotta give props to the flat stick! Count me as a happy weekend golfer!
  • Bar_StrollBar_Stroll Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    chch3 wrote:

Bar_Stroll wrote:

I had tried 5 grams but didn't get the difference I was looking for. I was about to list it but maybe I'll cake on the lead tape and see how much it takes to get the head to feel some weight.
    Taylormade M4 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 995 65X
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ - Fujikura Atmos TS Red 8X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Hybrid - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4 50.10S C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4, 54.10S and 58.08C - KBS 610
    Bobby Grace "Night and Day"
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,387 ✭✭
    chch3 wrote:

Bar_Stroll wrote:

Wow...such variance in the headweights

I’m black tie hm4 105x at 39.5” in my 790 udi. I’m D2 with 4 thin strips of lead tape. I’ll post pic shortly
    Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

• TaversTavers Members Posts: 7
    G'day Folks,

Anyone gaming the P790 with KBS Tour 90 shafts? I'm keen to hear how they go. I'm finding the stock R300 isn't suiting my swing.
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,103 ✭✭
    chisag wrote:
    KMeloney wrote:

CheckJV wrote:

KMeloney wrote:
    Any of you put SteelFibers in your P790s? If so, how is the combo?

(I've been in SF 110s for the past few years due to golfer's elbow issues -- and I'm 99% sure I'll stick with them or another graphite shaft.)

I have SF 95s in mine and like them. Never played SF before. Came from Project X 6.0 graphite 95 (Blue) in my old irons.

I was fit into 110s in my AP2 a few years ago, but I've always wondered about the 95s and if I'd like them more. I have no info as to why I might like them more -- I just wonder if a little lighter might be a little better.

Thanks for the replies regarding SFs.

... I have Recoil 95's in my irons and 110's in my wedges and honestly I cannot tell any difference when playing them. Side by side at the range if my focus is only on the shaft, I can tell the 110's are slightly heavier. But actually hitting shots on the course, I really can't tell any difference. I would add I have a smooth transition and swing so that might figure into it and a hard hitter might find more of a difference.

I have an Epon 56-degree wedge with a Recoil Wedge Proto Shaft which is 128 grams (I think) in my bag with the 790s with the SF 95s. Really does not affect my swing or anything. I’m not sensitive to that stuff. More about shaft flex to me. I’m a fast swinger with abrupt transition.

At one point I was worried about going from my X-100 iron shafts (130 gram) to the 95 gram graphite but I got over that quickly. But that was way before the SFs and the 790s.

If anyone is thinking about the 790s and a lighter shaft I’d think about trying one demo club before committing to a set.
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2018 #3570
    Bar_Stroll wrote:

chch3 wrote:

Bar_Stroll wrote:

I had tried 5 grams but didn't get the difference I was looking for. I was about to list it but maybe I'll cake on the lead tape and see how much it takes to get the head to feel some weight.

... I am a big believer in clubs should work for you, not the other way around. I hit the Ping LS at the show better than any driver I ever hit on demo day. I didn't like the look and hated the feel/sound, but results were the best I ever experienced so I bought one. On the course without a billion golfers hitting shots all around me the sound was much worse and it still looked terrible at address. First drive was a low hook. I compensated on the next drive and hit a high fade that barely found the right side of the fairway. The rest of the round was more of the same. Perplexed I gave it a second round and again hit it poorly on the front 9 so I switched back to my Fly Z and was back to hitting it well on the back 9. I sold it here because there was a WRX LS Lovefest going on and I didn't lose too much $.

... Now of course the problem was my swing and mental approach, not the LS as I hit it so well at the show demo day, but in the end does it really matter why you hit a club poorly? Sounds like the same thing for you and P790's. If you give a club a decent chance to prove itself and all you get is negative results, there are just too many excellent clubs out there to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole and chip away at your confidence. Ymmv of course ...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Adams LS 19* ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    Taylor Made P790 4 iron ... Recoil 95
    5-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
    CheckJV wrote:

I have an Epon 56-degree wedge with a Recoil Wedge Proto Shaft which is 128 grams (I think) in my bag with the 790s with the SF 95s. Really does not affect my swing or anything. I’m not sensitive to that stuff. More about shaft flex to me. I’m a fast swinger with abrupt transition.

At one point I was worried about going from my X-100 iron shafts (130 gram) to the 95 gram graphite but I got over that quickly. But that was way before the SFs and the 790s.

If anyone is thinking about the 790s and a lighter shaft I’d think about trying one demo club before committing to a set.

I went from Ping Ansers with Modus 120 to the 790s with Nippon 950s. I swing a driver at about 105mph but play clubs at +1" but have a smooth termpo that allows me to use lightweight shafts and wanted a combo that were lighter than the D7 my Pings were at.

I grabbed a set of the dot light headed 790s that are coming in at D2. It did take me a few rounds to get my sequencing adjusted to the lighter shafts but once I did magic started to happen. I actually find mid / high launch and spin shafts work well with the 790 head and my iron play is the best it has been in 20 years, with 14 GIR and mainly 10ft birdie looks in my most recent round.

I've still got the Glide wedges with Modus 120 in the bag - the only issue I find is the transition between wedge and gap wedge, simply because that's a full swing club and the swingweight difference is 6 pts vs D8 gap. Zero issues with sand wedge and lob as the heavier weight is actually better for feel shots.

So I totally agree that you need to demo with lighter shafts, just be prepared to give it a little time if you are dropping materially in weight