Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• RodCRodC Members Posts: 357 ✭✭

When will TM MAKE A BLADE AGAIN? MY MB's ARE WORN.
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    Moment of silence please...

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,793 ✭✭
    what happened?
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    what happened?

There was a hidden pebble. It happens I suppose. No big deal.
    BiggErn wrote:

what happened?

There was a hidden pebble. It happens I suppose. No big deal.

Gotcha. I saw the scratch. Just wondered if I missed something else. Tools not jewels , man. That scratch just makes it guilt free to add the next one !
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,376 ✭✭
    Yeah that’s not worth even flinching about. One wedge practice session especially in sand would make you lose sleep if so!
    Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X 

• ThorntonMelonThorntonMelon Members Posts: 190 ✭✭
    What is the reference to 760 everyone is speaking about?
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭

From what I’ve heard it’s a combination of what the 790’s offer in terms of distance and forgiveness combined with what the 750’s offer in terms of workability.
  • PracticeAprlPracticeAprl Members Posts: 65
    averysdad wrote:

From what I’ve heard it’s a combination of what the 790’s offer in terms of distance and forgiveness combined with what the 750’s offer in terms of workability.

I would be interested to see what those look like. I started with the p790 this year and traded them for p770. I wouldn’t mind seeing what they are as long as they aren’t foam filled.

I was one of the ones that had huge inconsistencies in distance with the p790. My yardage’s are spot on with p770 and the yardage gap in between clubs is more manageable.
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #3612
    Cwing wrote:

Mine are in the BST if anyone is interested. http://www.golfwrx.c...16-wsteelfiber/
    Wow so those are some top name brands like what is wrong with those CF 16's or that Scotty putter. If you can't get along with all that you are trying to sell then maybe you could use a few lessons instead. Everything you are trying to sell is what would make most people on this forum very happy. Its not the arrow as those are all nice as someone should buy those in no time. I'm curious as to what you plan on buying next to replace what you are selling
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #3613
    BiggErn wrote:

Arghhhhhh! Get a 2" scotch brite pad that fits on a drill, and try to buff it out. I was able to clean up an M4 iron that way, hardly tell.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
    Tiptx1122 wrote:

Cwing wrote:
    Wow so those are some top name brands like what is wrong with those CF 16's or that Scotty putter. If you can't get along with all that you are trying to sell then maybe you could use a few lessons instead. Everything you are trying to sell is what would make most people on this forum very happy. Its not the arrow as those are all nice as someone should buy those in no time. I'm curious as to what you plan on buying next to replace what you are selling

Really ——
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
  • ericsidewaterericsidewater Members Posts: 37
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #3615
    Can confirm the existence of the 760's. Going to fall smack between 770 and 790. Blade length will be reduced, smaller topline, smaller sole, but still speed foam. I also believe there will be iron shafts coming out shortly from Project X that are specifically designed to be in the player's distance package, getting the spin rates and launch angles normalized.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Tour Burner TP 10.5 Matrik Ozik X-Con 55g[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V 15 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade UDI 18 degrees [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 21 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seven Shinagawa MBs 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 120 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Black Mack Daddy 3 Milled 56 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Double-Bend Blackout Spider Tour[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Handicap: 11[/font]
    platgof wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

Arghhhhhh! Get a 2" scotch brite pad that fits on a drill, and try to buff it out. I was able to clean up an M4 iron that way, hardly tell.

I polished it with my Dremel. Don’t want to use anything too abrasive. It’s just a tiny eye sore it’ll be fine though.
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,479 ClubWRX

Can confirm the existence of the 760's. Going to fall smack between 770 and 790. Blade length will be reduced, smaller topline, smaller sole, but still speed foam. I also believe there will be iron shafts coming out shortly from Project X that are specifically designed to be in the player's distance package, getting the spin rates and launch angles normalized.

Not to doubt you, but I assume you meant between the 750 and 770? At least that’s what I heard a TM rep say yesterday.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-10S
    Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Additional - Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Scotty Cameron Select Newport, Ping Anser 35 inch, Cleveland Designed By blade putter.

GO VOLS!

WHen ?
  • jboogie146jboogie146 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Bought, Played and Sold the P790's. Wasn't impressed. The best looking irons I think I've ever seen. But performance for me wasn't impressive. Was really hoping I was going to like them!

Seems like they they would be the 780’s.
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭
    jboogie146 wrote:
    Bought, Played and Sold the P790's. Wasn't impressed. The best looking irons I think I've ever seen. But performance for me wasn't impressive. Was really hoping I was going to like them!

Me too unfortunately. A lack of practice this year made me turn to something a little friendlier. But hot dam...they are sweeet looking sticks.
  • ericsidewaterericsidewater Members Posts: 37
    Cwing wrote:

Seems like they they would be the 780's.

I misspoke -- forgiveness wise they fall between those, of course 760 indicates the smaller blade length.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Tour Burner TP 10.5 Matrik Ozik X-Con 55g[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V 15 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade UDI 18 degrees [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 21 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Seven Shinagawa MBs 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 120 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Black Mack Daddy 3 Milled 56 degrees[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade Double-Bend Blackout Spider Tour[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Handicap: 11[/font]
  • cubuffscubuffs Members Posts: 390 ✭✭
    Well, after spending way too much time reading over 100 pages of this thread, and after a fitting at club champion, the order has been placed for a set of 790s. The funny thing was, these weren't even on the radar heading into the fitting as I currently play MP64s and was interested in the new JPX line (forged or tour). I hit everything (Ping I500, Srixon, Mizuno JPX Tour, Forged, and MP18 MMC and SC) and these were by far the winner. The distance was obviously there due to the lofts, but as a high spin player the reduced spin was the main driver (I am a very high ball hitter so stopping these on the green isn't an issue as my 6 iron was still spinning around 5700-6000 rpm - down from 7000 during the fitting).

Have seen some of the 760 pics and while they look nice, looking forward to the 790s arriving in mid October. Will keep everyone posted.
  • Digger818Digger818 ClubWRX Posts: 58 ClubWRX
    I had the same thing happen to me.
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,997 ✭✭
    Going to stick with my P790's! I hit them next to the new Mizuno 919F and 919T and I still got a little more distance, a little less spin, and a better decent angle on the sim with the P790's.

Really the only place where the 919's felt better was in the 8-9-PW...other than the subjective feel, P790 for me were the objective choice and winners. I do think as with any modern iron head...the shaft fitting is key to extract the max performance for each individual. Happy Oct 1

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• FmaxTurboSiFmaxTurboSi Members Posts: 159
    jboogie146 wrote:

Same here..... wasn't an improvement according to the numbers on simulator.

evoviiiyou wrote:

Going to stick with my P790's! I hit them next to the new Mizuno 919F and 919T and I still got a little more distance, a little less spin, and a better decent angle on the sim with the P790's.

Really the only place where the 919's felt better was in the 8-9-PW...other than the subjective feel, P790 for me were the objective choice and winners. I do think as with any modern iron head...the shaft fitting is key to extract the max performance for each individual. Happy Oct 1

I may look back into the p790's if a combo set with the new 760's pair up well. The p790's long irons are great, but didn't particularly care for the mid-short irons.

But def looking foward to hitting the new 760's.
    Ping G400 LST 10* Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 Testing:Srixon z785 9* Tensei PO 70tx and Ping G400max 9* Tensei PO 70tx
    TM M3HL Tensei PO 80tx
    X-forged 4-P C-taper 125 S+
    MD4 raw 50*s-grind, 56*c-grind KBS 610 wedge 125g
    TM Hi-toe 60* $-taper black 120
    Evnroll ER2
    Bennington QO9 Lite
    Bridgestone Tour BRX, Srixon Z star XV

Backup: Srixon z565 4-aw Modus Tour 105, Callaway Rogue 4w Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
  • akim47akim47 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Initial review of 790's-

I recently bought a set off a member on BST. PX LZ 6.0 shafts. I had demo'd them at TM fitting day and got fitted into them, and then was lucky to find a set to my spec.

Feel:

First - I really should have hit more balls during the fitting session. After 2 rounds and 4 range sessions - I really dislike the feel of the clubs. I had an old set of 714AP2s with Ctapers. While the face may be forged, the 790s feel nothing like a forged club. It's just not the same. When struck purely, feedback is so-so - just feels like it's missing something. Perhaps it's the shaft? I dont know. I generally like the feel of the LZs. I wouldnt think they would feel too different from CTapers. My set came with an AW. I'm trying it out vs. my old Vokey SM5. Vokey wins on feel hands down. personal preference - I want a nice feel from my wedge shots. Will probably put the vokey back in the bag.

Distance:

Less noticeable at the PW end of the bag (1/2 club). About a club or so longer at the long end, im not really dialed in on distances yet. Im guessing that's because of the increased gap for the lofts as the 4i is 21 deg i think and my AP2 4i is 24. This was one of the primary reasons why i switched over to the 790s. Extra distance from my 4i helps close my gaps, good for teeing off of short par 4s and on 2nd shot par 5s, and long par 3s. Suppose i could have just replaced my long irons with AP3s... lol. As far as "hot spots" that people claim- I just dont see it. Would have to attribute it to swing variance vs. hot spots on clubs. In general pretty consistent (or at least as consistent as my swing is).

Dispersion:

Limited time w clubs. Bad shots still bad, good shots really fly. Ball flight is nice. I think it holds true that LZ's are a mid launch/ lowish spin shaft. Seems like my ball flight is higher launch that flattens out. Spin numbers were lower than my AP2s w CTapers. I dunno - can that be true? I thought CTapes were supposed to be lower spin, but this is just what was told to me. Visually it does seem to spin less. Balls still hold greens no problem, so overall I'm fine with it. In general - the clubs DO seem slightly more forgiving then AP2s. But by forgiving - I'm saying slightly off center strikes aren't too bad. Bad swings will be bad swings as I did pull hook a couple of shots during my round with them.

Overall:

I'm going to give them another month or so. See if I grow into them and adjust to the non-forged feel. The better distance could override that factor, at least for me. However, if I feel i don't like the harsh feeling i get, or if it starts causing pain I'll go back to the AP2s. The other factor for me will be distance control and consistency. If that's good, I'll probably live with the non-forged feel. As a backup - I'm going to test out the 919 forged to see how they feel.
  • ladahlladahl Members Posts: 6,868 ✭✭
    I was PXG , then wen to the 790s when they came out- Now back to PXG

I really did and still like the 790s, I just had an itch and got a great deal on my PXGs - such a good deal, I decided to tinker with shaft options, and have settled on a combo I'm really happy with (Accra GRAPHITE!) - And Ive stuck with them since April.

I would have ZERO reservations about going back to 790s though. Really nice clubs. I really like how they offer an in-line gap wedge, as well. I wish PXG would in the "T"
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400 Max Veylix Alphina 673<br />'16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 <br />Callaway Epic #3H KBS Proto 95<br />PXG 0311X #4 KBS Proto 95 <br />PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S<br /> SM7 Jet Black 50*, 54* & 58* TT DG TI Onyx S400<br />PXG Mustang S Black[/font]<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />WITB Link[/font]
  • Soccerrick10Soccerrick10 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I’ve been playing a buddies P790’s for a few rounds. I am getting to like them. But, I like the PXG Gen 1 XF’s a little better and they are equal in cost. BUT, I was just getting ready to place the order and see PXG just raised the price on Gen 1’s to $195 per club!
  • 2717B2717B Members Posts: 261 ✭✭
    I’ve got about 6 rounds in with my P790’s-C Taper Lite shafts 5-Gap. While I had my low round of the year with them, I don’t seem to get my 5 iron up in the air as high as I would like (the other irons have a very nice ball flight). While the 790’s have less offset than my TA5’s, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s me or that the 790’s have a little less offset. Thoughts?
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭
    Went with P790's tried to like them because of the distance and liked the idea I was getting PXG iron technology at a lower price. Then PXG dropped the price on Gen 1, hit them head to head against the P790, now the P790's are in the corner waiting for the PXG's to get delivered. PXG's felt better and didn't have the distance gap between the 7i and 8i for me.

Lesson learned, the 790's carried me through the season and in the end I saved a lot of money given the price drop of the Gen 1's.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB