2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cape Cod Golf

S.A. OSO

Hi,

I am going to Cape Cod next week for a family vacation. We are staying in Brewster. My 13 year old son and I want to play a round of golf in Cape Cod. I have read some of the discussion threads about Mass. golf on here, and based on those I was considering Old Barnstable, Cranberry Valley, and The Captains. We are looking for public golf options within 20 minutes of our place in Brewster.

Which one of the above courses would be most recommended and are there other options we should consider?

Thanks.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

All the courses listed are very good. I played both courses at Captains and Cranberry Valley a few weeks ago and they are in great shape. Captains Port is the harder of the two courses there, but it's a fun course with a lot of ups and downs. Cranberry has a really nice practice facility and the course is very nice to play. The only other course I might add would be Bayberry Hills in Yarmouth. Also if you only have a short time to play the Seaside Links Course in Chatham is fun and has great views from the top - not a great course at all but just fun to play (and afterwards go have lunch at the Chatham Bars Inn outdoor bar/ restaurant around the corner). Cranberry also has a nice restaurant as well. Good luck and enjoy the area. I'm a big fan of Brewster as well.

I just got back from my house in Chatham - played all of those courses you listed. Captains is my favorite, starboard course is easier and if you are bringing a junior golfer I would try to get a tee time there. On Saturdays, you won't be able to get one in the AM one before like 9:30 on the starboard, they block them off for a mens group.

Also the driving range is offsite and you cant take a cart there or walk it really, so stop there before your round on teh way, the token machine is onsite,

Also check out Dennis Pines / Dennis Highlands. Good spot about 20 mins from brewster.

Chatham links: As mentioned, a really fun short course to play where you really don't anything more than a 5 wood off the tee, though many people bring driver to drive greens or just because. I walked it pretty much every evening about 5:30 (it's 5 mins from my house), it's pretty empty then unlike in the AM when is jammed.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions

-Patrick

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

Hi,

I am going to Cape Cod next week for a family vacation. We are staying in Brewster. My 13 year old son and I want to play a round of golf in Cape Cod. I have read some of the discussion threads about Mass. golf on here, and based on those I was considering Old Barnstable, Cranberry Valley, and The Captains. We are looking for public golf options within 20 minutes of our place in Brewster.

Which one of the above courses would be most recommended and are there other options we should consider?

Thanks.

I played Dennis Pines, Bass River, and the Starboard course at Captains over the last 10 days. I played the Starboard course today and it is in very good shape. The pace of play was also the best I've seen during the summer with a 4.25 hour round. As previously mentioned, the Port course is the harder of the two courses at Captains. I actually prefer the Starboard course because I think it is a better course than the Port course.

Bass River was in good shape but there are some quirky holes and it's not a course to go out of your way to play. I played it because I hadn't played there since I was a kid and I knew they allowed walking. Dennis Pines is one of my favorite Cape Cod courses but overall I was disappointed in the conditions this time around. The greens were also unbelievably slow.

Olde Barnstable is also a very good layout but it's been several years since I last played it so I can't speak to the current conditions. Cranberry Valley is another favorite CC course of mine. It was in great condition last summer when I played it.

Enjoy your Cape Cod vacation!

Thanks for the responses. I think we are going to go with the Captains.

Another question, has anyone play the Highland Links course in Truro? That looks like it might be a neat place to play another nine holes.

[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the responses. I think we are going to go with the Captains.

Another question, has anyone play the Highland Links course in Truro? That looks like it might be a neat place to play another nine holes.

Played it many a time, really like it. Hilly, links type layout. Wind can be quite blustery, deep rough is native long grass. Greens are smallish but not super speedy. Length of holes is shortish but need to hit fairways to score. Some nice views of the Atlantic, even seen whales.

Edit: Heard good things about Captain's.

Taking a trip to the Cape as we got setup with a round at Eastward Ho and planning on hitting some other courses. Looks like Cranberry Valley and Captains are close by where we are staying. I'll add those to the list.

When are you going? I've not played CV, but have heard good things. Personally, I prefer Olde Barnstable to the Captains courses. While Captains is very close to Eastward Ho! (don't forget the explanation point). Olde Barney is on the way right off of Route 6. This is not to play down Captains, just my preference

Finally, if you have an "in" to get you onto Eastward Ho!, see if you can work the magic to play Hyannisport, Oyster Harbors, Wianno, Pocasset or Woods Hole. All of them are a joy to play

• 1 year later...

I was in Sandwich this past week and played Sandwich Hallows. They have a good deal on Wednesday and the course was in good shape. No water views but lots of elevation changes especially on the back 9. Also made the trip to Truro to play Highland Links. Not in the best shape but always love that walk and all the views.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone played the courses in Dennis?

• 2 weeks later...

> @makgolfn said:

> I was in Sandwich this past week and played Sandwich Hallows. They have a good deal on Wednesday and the course was in good shape. No water views but lots of elevation changes especially on the back 9. Also made the trip to Truro to play Highland Links. Not in the best shape but always love that walk and all the views.

Heading up to Wellfleet in a few weeks for the first time in ages. Can't wait to walk the Highland Links. I have fond memories of that course from summers I spent out there while in college. The conditioning was never the best - my dad always used to joke that during the offseason the army would use it to do tank training exercises - but it's got to be the closest thing you'd find over here to a little nine-hole links course you'd come across off the beaten track somewhere in Scotland.

• 4 weeks later...

> @kpm0915 said:

> I am heading to the cape in September and staying at the wequassett. Apparently staying at the hotel gives you access to cape cod national but the price is $225?! Has anyone played it?

I've played it several times; very good course. Definitely a top 5 course on the cape, and probably correctly priced at $225 in-season.

I've not played Highlands, but have played a lot of rounds at Hyannis over the years. It's topography and trees make conditions a bit tougher, is a relatively hard walk (just tons of undulation), but plays relatively quickly. Hyannis is definitely the lesser of the two Barnstable public courses (Old Barnstable being the other). So, not really a recommendation, just an observation that it's an average experience

> @medicoreMAgolfer said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > You can play Cape Cod National if you stay at a hotel nearby... forget the name but you can find it pretty easily. Very demanding greens and tight fairways.

> Wequasset Inn, which makes Chatham Bars Inn appear cheap!

>

yup... 700 a hight for the cheapest room but 250 for the green fees at CCN

> @Pearson10M said:

> Hijacking the thread - Which to play in a few days, Dennis Highlands or Hyannis CC? Both are same money. Has anyone play either or both and could recommend. Have played Dennis Pines, and really liked it.

>

> Thanks.

I am a huge fan of the highlands... Dennis Public Works does an amazing job keeping that course together.