Kuchar's mindset at final holes at British.

aliikane

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. He just got railroaded by some incredible golf on the last 4 holes.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I am unfamiliar with "The British". Did you perhaps mean, "The Open Championship"?

This is getting a bit boring. British Open is a largely used term, and I don't have any problem with Americans using it, considering there is the US Open.

The first major is often called the 'US Masters' in the UK instead of 'The Masters', because of the British Masters and the 'US PGA Championship' instead of the 'PGA Championship', because of the BMW PGA Championship. These aren't official names either.

I am unfamiliar with "The British". Did you perhaps mean, "The Open Championship"?

This is getting a bit boring. British Open is a largely used term, and I don't have any problem with Americans using it, considering there is the US Open.

The first major is often called the 'US Masters' in the UK instead of 'The Masters', because of the British Masters and the 'US PGA Championship' instead of the 'PGA Championship', because of the BMW PGA Championship. These aren't official names either.

Dude don't take things so seriously.

Sorry dude, it's The Open Championship. And it produces the champion golfer of the season.

have to agree... it will always pop up as 'british open " in my mind...and "the open" is what i often call the us open.... has "the open" always been that? or was it once the british open and renamed in modern times 'the open" for better world marketability ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

have to agree... it will always pop up as 'british open " in my mind...and "the open" is what i often call the us open.... has "the open" always been that? or was it once the british open and renamed in modern times 'the open" for better world marketability ?

:stop: sorry wrong way round no matter what country you're from, "The Open Championship" is the one in the UK, the original and first major championship :angry22:

:tongue:

Around these parts, it's the British Open.

#merica

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Gotta love the Internet. Someone posts an interesting article on professionals' mindset, and most of the thread is taken up by whether its The Open or The British Open.

(It's The Open by the way :))

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Kuchar always seems to be in good spirits and pleasant to be around. It had to be frustrating to finally take the lead only to then watch Spieth switch into a higher gear and just destroy the golf course.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Gotta love the Internet. Someone posts an interesting article on professionals' mindset, and most of the thread is taken up by whether its The Open or The British Open.

yea yea.. i know.. just changed it up to a more interesting topic....

but if we must..lol

Kuchar is a great guy... absolutley coudlnt say a bad word about him as a person.. or even a ball striker... BUT....Kuchar doesnt have the killer instinct to know when to gut someone while they are down... he had Jordan on the ropes on the front nine and could have shut him down mentally.. But missed several key putts that werent overly long... Jordan did go beast mode on him and went on a run.. BUT i think that run could have been prevented with a couple more putts on the front... as to his mindset.. Im sure it was "OH s***...i should have closed him a while back.. i cant stop this now"...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

How about this: People can call the majors whatever they want, but also can't get all butthurt when others do the same. Seriously, the only major name people get bent outta shape about is the British, including the R&A. Making NBC sign a contract agreeing not to call it the British Open? Bananas. It's like that kid in high school who tried to give himself a cool nickname.

'Round these parts:

The Masters

The Open

The British Open

The PGA

'Round your parts:

Whatever you want

How about this: People can call the majors whatever they want, but also can't get all butthurt when others do the same. Seriously, the only major name people get bent outta shape about is the British, including the R&A. Making NBC sign a contract agreeing not to call it the British Open? Bananas. It's like that kid in high school who tried to give himself a cool nickname.

'Round these parts:

The Masters

The Open

The British Open

The PGA

'Round your parts:

Whatever you want

Your 973 posts on the topic suggest you're pretty butthurt about the whole thing yourself.

'Round these parts:

The Masters

The Open

The British Open

The PGA

'Round your parts:

Whatever you want

Your 973 posts on the topic suggest you're pretty butthurt about the whole thing yourself.

Totally. Thanks for your interest.

Well, I don't care how hard the R&A tries to bill the Open Championship as the premier event in all of golf, it still doesn't "move the needle" like the John Deere, or even the Barbasol would if Tiger plays.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

Growing up, it was always the British Open. But I recognize that the preferred name now is the Open Championship. Habits are hard to break, as one gets older, so I am probably about 50-50 at this point. It's like stadium names over here! I can't keep up, and I will use the old name for years before I get adjusted to the new one.

And Kuchar didn't blow it, by any means, He got steamrolled. One stroke up, birdie two of the next four holes and you are two strokes down, what are you supposed to do? The bogey on the last hardly counts, he had to try to make the impossible happen, and Jordan played the hole perfectly to make it a moot point.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

Growing up, it was always the British Open. But I recognize that the preferred name now is the Open Championship. Habits are hard to break, as one gets older, so I am probably about 50-50 at this point. It's like stadium names over here! I can't keep up, and I will use the old name for years before I get adjusted to the new one.

And Kuchar didn't blow it, by any means, He got steamrolled. One stroke up, birdie two of the next four holes and you are two strokes down, what are you supposed to do? The bogey on the last hardly counts, he had to try to make the impossible happen, and Jordan played the hole perfectly to make it a moot point.

I feel the same way about both. I will admit that the R&A has done a good job advertising and getting the world to call the British Open simply The Open. When hearing "The Open", there is zero doubt what is being talked about. And awarding the term, "Champion Golfer Of The Year" is also brilliant advertising.

seriously.... when did it become 'the open".? ( heads to google as it doesnt seem anyone knows here)

found this on wiki...seems to sum it all up...

Many of the comments below, while arguing that using the British Open in reference is completely incorrect, make weak arguments based on their incorrect usage of the formal titles of the other 4 majors. There is no tournament formally called the The Masters, but there is one formally named the Masters Tournament. There is no tournament formally called the US Open, but there is one formally named the United States Open Championship. Arguing for referencing tournaments by their formal names will make for stodgy reading. Using short hand names, such as The Masters, the US Open, and British Open, are in common usage. British Open was used as recently as today (23 July 2006) by the Associated Press article, Three of a kind: Tiger comes up clutch to win third British, 11th major.

For the most part, the British prefer The Open Championship because the language singles out their tournament. It's THE Championship. Much of this debate is really over the battle for which of the 4 majors is, THE Major. In the United States, the Masters Tournament is considered the greatest tournament in golf. In Europe The Open Championship is considered the greatest tournament in golf. Stressing the formal name of The Open Championship is a constant reminder of one of the biggest claims to The Open Championship's greatness: it was first. (The Masters Tournament may owe some part of its eminence for a similar reason: its regularly called, THE Masters. Strangely enough, Bobby Jones fought against this short name for years, insisting it being called by its formal name, the Augusta National Invitation Tournament, until he finally caved in and changed the name to, the Masters Tournament. ) For similar reasons, Americans are unlikely to insist on such formality---besides the practical need to distinguish it from its US counterpart.

Being an American, I see nothing wrong with using the phrase, "the US and British Opens", for short-hand for the two countries' open golf tournaments---but if this does annoy you, and you must 'fix' such a phrase, please maintain cosistency and use "The Open Championship and the U.S. Open Championship," instead of applying a double-standard and simply changing it to, "The Open Championship and the US Open". I don't think such an invitation is helpful. "The Open Championship" is admittedly the official name of the event. It is also the most appropriate reference in some contexts, while "British Open" is most appropriate in other contexts, much as "Masters Tournament" is most appropriate in some contexts, but some geographic reference to distinguish from the British Masters is most appropriate in other contexts. The point I've been trying to make in the discussion below is that the choice of best phrasing is context-sensitive. ...and the United States Open Championship is admittedly the official name of its U.S. counterpart. Suggested rule: If The Open Championship is discussed without reference to the U.S. Open Championship, or is the primary reference, then use the (European) short name, The Open. If its being referenced along with the U.S. Open Championship, then use the (American) short name British Open for clarity. This is quite along the lines of what I've been advocating. I also think that articles that come from an American point of view (such as articles about American golfers, or about the PGA TOUR as an institution) also ought to reflect what is standard American usage, no different than respecting spelling differences in contexts where it is appropriate. I really see this as a usage difference and I would go with what the general rules are (as I understand them) for usage differences: some articles use Commonwealth spelling and some use American spelling depending on what they're about.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nope, no, it's Bitish Open, even back in 1961..

Henry Longhurst? Greatest British legendary commentator ever?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The fact is even the Brits referred to it this way until the R & A made this strong push to make sure it is called "The Open" for marketing reasons. Look we all get it, the official name is The Open Championship, but being that the Brits are so big on nicknames (Brexit comes to mind) why does everyone get so butt hurt about it?

Insisting it be called this to the point of being annoying about it, is just...well...annoying...and arrogant, and stuffy. The official name of Wimbledon is "The Championships, Wimbledon" The Open, The British Open, The Open Championship, we get it. it's like the R&A is so insecure they can't deal with anyone not using the proper name. Get over it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Did anyone really think that Kuchar had the juice to win? If you read the article that was not the thoughts of a guy looking to get a win. Play steady and hopefully JS shoots himself out of the tournament. He only has 7 wins. He led the tour money list one year and only won once. Seems like a good guy but he is not a "major champion" type of golfer. Golf is funny though. He could get hot at a major and win one but at this point in his career I would say the odds are against him.