Mizuno MP-600

After years of research and development, Mizuno announces the MP-600 driver with Fast Track technology. This 460cc titanium driver will allow players to quickly tweak their ball flight through the use of the revolutionary Fast Track. With two adjustable eight-gram weights, the player can easily choose from 15 ball flight settings to fine tune the CG (center of gravity) and achieve their ideal ball flight for maximum control. Furthermore, the CNC-milled, plasma-welded Cortech face insert will deliver the maximum USGA allowable ball speed across the entire area of the face for explosive distance.

Features:

• Revolutionary Fast Track technology for quick ball flight tuning
  • CNC milled, plasma-welded Cortech design utilizes multiple face thickness for maximum distance
  • Maximum allowable USGA 460cc volume for unsurpassed forgiveness
  • Traditional and classic head shape and sound for the discerning MP player

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this moment my honeymoon with the MP600 is over, and I still like it very much! I hit a lot of fairways and despite the weather (moist at the moment, no roll) I make good distance! That combination makes this an ideal driver! The fast-track system allows for fine-tuning of the ballflight (nothing more, nothing less). The feel, looks and sound are perfect. I can only make 2,5 critical notes.

1) Where is the alignment aid (allthough I don't really miss it anymore)

2) If you hit it all over the face, this driver is not for you (my mishits on the toe are short and left)

2.5) Why is this headcover so ugly and white (first round I dropped it in the mud...)

Still 5 stars, if you can overcome these critical notes. I sure can!

I'm pretty critical about my drivers. When I find a good one I tend too keep it for 2 or 3 seasons. I'm curious about the performance of this driver in warm and dry conditions. It is looking good for know!

Reposted from General Equipment Forum

I tend to change drivers about once every 2 years. I've been searching for months for a replacement for my J33R 460, which has been my go-to driver for the past 2-3 years. It was the longest, best driver I've ever hit . . . mid-launch with low-spin. But punishing when hit low on the face or toward the heel. Tried practically every driver that I read good things about, including most recently a G10 7.5* with several different shafts. I was launching the G10 too high with too much spin, and was not getting any more distance than with my D2. Nothing seemed to outperform the Bridgey in terms of launch conditions.

After reading so many posts about the MP600 being a low-spin alternative to the J33R with more forgiveness, finally broke down and bought one off the shelf a few days ago. Didn't even hit it with the stock shaft (wrong flex anyway). Immediately reshafted with a Graphite Design 702 Prototype Model. Very nice flight, but kind of boardy and light, and not much more control than my J33R 460. Then talked with a local clubmaker and decided to try the new Rombax 7Z08 in an X at 45.5" (my old playing length). He also looked at my grip and talked me into trying the new Winn grip in a mid-size (have always played standard).

All I can say is "Wow"!!! Went to the range and was simply blasting drives into a slight headwind. I was hitting low draws, high draws, high cuts, straight down the middle, you name it. With the D2, my two options are high spinning draws and high spinning hooks. I hit a lot of balls side-by-side with the D2 and J33R. It was no contest versus the D2. Straighter, more carry and much hotter trajectory and descent angle. Distance was the same or slightly longer versus J33R, but felt much more controllable and solid. Don't know if it's the head, shaft or grip, but I was just simply killing the ball. Before, when I would get aggressive, my 5-10 yard draw could easily become a big 15-20 yard draw. With the MP600 setup, my mishits just go straighter and further. Even when hit low on the face, the trajectory is extremely low, but still ends up rolling out within 20-25 yards of a good drive. The Bridgey, by comparison, seems to go nowhere if hit too low on the face. I was hitting next to a work buddy (I'm currently a 4, he's a +2). He wanted to hit it and also fell in love. He's talking about getting the same set-up with a tipped stiff, instead of an X. Same thing happened when he tried my 695CB's. Within a month, he had gotten rid of his Callaway's/S300's and gotten a set of 695CB's/Project X.

Finally got it out on a course this afternoon and played 9 holes. I was striping it down the fairway and, not surprisingly, getting even better carry and roll-out with Pro V1x's than I was with the dead range balls. More important, it just gave me a ton of confidence versus my other two drivers. I had been playing the GD 702PM X in the J33R for quite awhile and had recently reshafted it with the V2 76X. The slightly heavier shaft made the J33R feel more solid and less boardy, but I don't think that the V2 76 is nearly as good as shaft as the 7Z08 for my swing. Moreover, even though the D2/757 combination feels solid, I tend to draw the ball too easily. Not sure if it's the shaft, clubhead or too small a grip, though.

I might try regripping with standard grips to see if the mid-size grips are helping or hurting. But think the mid-size may be helping me to use a lighter grip and not get too handsy. If that is the case, I'm now thinking about testing a mid-size grip on some of my other clubs as well, as I think it might make it easier to hit cuts and control my draw.

And two final thoughts about the MP600. I love the sound. It just feels and sounds solid. The sound is kind of a muted thwack, not too loud, not metallic, and not too high-pitched. Very similar to some of the old Titleist drivers and reminiscent of Persimmon woods, in my opinion. Also, the weights on the back do work. They do not provide a ton of correction for a bad swing. But I was able to notice slight corrections for different settings, draw, fade, etc. When I set it for max spin, got a mid-high trajectory, good carry and a slightly softer landing. I found that the best setting for me seems to be 1 and 6, which is the lowest-launch, lowest-spin setting. Just a boring trajectory, tons of carry and a shallow descent. I'm thinking on a very tight course, I might set it for max fade, which seems to give a little higher trajectory, slightly more spin and softer landing with anti-left help.

I was assuming that I would definitely end up trying the new Titleist driver that comes out later this year, if it is lower-spinning, as I do like Titleist products. Now it's going to have to be pretty phenomenal to challenge the MP600.

• 2 weeks later...

Well first of all their is a reason this driver has an MP in it's name, it's not the easiest to hit. If you can consistently hit the middle of the face you will benefit. I just got fitted for this driver yesterday and played my first round with it today. Easily the best possible ball flight for my swing speed. The ball gets up and stays there. It feels great, similar to the 905s and sounds solid. Very solid. I love the driver and recommend it to someone who can afford a little forgiveness.

After 3 years of intensive search I found a playable low-spin Driver: MP-600 is a killer.

Some history first: I tend to play all my clubs way to high. Same with driver. Actually, my drives even stopped on the greens of short par 4 holes - no joke. No roll at all.

Currently I play a R7 (Max) with standard shaft that I have to replace this year. Thank you R A...

I hit the fairways but no roll at all. Since 3 years I am testing and testing, latest were XLS, Burner, 5900, MX 560, D2 and Ping G10 (was the most solid and had the best sound). But same problem, stopped on a dime.

The only driver I got some roll with was a 905T with a Grafalloy Blue (S). Felt like a bridge pier and for a hcp 16 hard to play...

I didn't want to test the MP 600 but they had a tester (9,5 with Exsar stock shaft in S, 59g) available so I took it out to the range (it's hard to find tester in Germany so you take what you get) - WOW straight, nice sound, solif feedback, very low ball flight, and seemed to have some roll. Hard to see because our range goes uphill. I decided to take it with me on a singel evening round of 3 holes. Played 2 balls every hole. My TM 7r had the usual ball flight and felt much longer because the MP600 was so low. When I approached the balls I couldn't believe it. MP overtook my R7 about 10-25 yards every single hole. And straight. Straighter than all others I tested.

I was shocked and decided to bag it on my Sunday round. Same, incredibly long (260-275 yards) and ROLL - Rock n'Roll. Had up to 2 irons less in the green, 7 instead of 5, etc.

I question the experts here. Do you think I can keep a similar roll with a 10,5 version? I don't believe to ask this but I guess a 5-10 yards higher apex with quite same roll would be an excellent course-killer.

Now I know which head to buy.

Any other shaft I should try? I am quite tall (1,95m = 6,40). Long arms. hectic tempo (0.8 sec). SS 95-100. I play between 12-19. About 59g weight seems to work fine for me.

BTW - I have not experienced with the screw things (I don't care as I didn't in my R7) and I will put on another headcover. Don't like the Mizuno style. I can be such a girl sometimes

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm posting on this forum again.

The last time I posted this driver was brand new to me and I loved it just as everyone loves a new club. Now that I have played about 10 rounds with it I've got to say I love it more now than then. I know that professionals are almost forced to play certain clubs but I don't know why more amateurs aren't playing this club. The head is amazingly clean and it has such a pure feel that if you get the right shaft your money. The head is only fairly forgiving but explosive, maybe you could say kind of quiet, sneaky long. Lower handicap players should go test this club.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the look at address, WAY less forgiving than anything by TaylorMade or Callaway but the trajectory and feel more than make up for it. The weights are a joy to move around and can really help offset temporary swing hiccups or keep the ball low in windy conditions. The sound is... weird, for lack of a better word and gets weirder when the weights are on extreme positions.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I was fitted at Mizuno Germany:

9,5 // Fuji e-fit on 360 stiff

We experimented also with the fast track system. It works. According to the launch monitor it brought down the spin by 1000!

Now comes the sad part of the story. The honeymoon lasted not even one single shot. Since I got it I haven't hit not one straight shot - S L I C E !!!!

:)

Took out my old R7 (max) in comparison - deadly straight as usual.

BTW - any German fellow wants a 10/10 rated MP600, custom shaft, GP multi-compound (red/black) midsize for EUR 150,-- below retail price?....

DAMN - I am so frustrated :)

Now comes the sad part of the story. The honeymoon lasted not even one single shot. Since I got it I haven't hit not one straight shot - S L I C E !!!!

I know what you are talking about, I hit it on a Demo-Day. Biggest Problem was, that it was obviously organized by Muppets, because there was not one driver with a Stiff-Shaft. But I can life with that, don't go to fast and don't wonder about the occasional Duck-Hook.

When I came to the MP-600 I was very delighted, nice looking at address, didn't feel to light, felt nice while waggling. But then I hit the first drive and hit a long, very straight push... So it went on for the next few shots until I dumped the MP-600. So my quest for a new driver is still not over.

-HB

I went to a demo day Friday and tried several drivers.

I hit TBTP,TB, Ping G10, Callaway HyperX all with stock shafts. Out of all of these I never

found anything two spectacular the TaylorMade was long but very inconsistent for me. I then decided to try the MP600. I hit several shafts including

the EPIC, Fuju-360. With these shafts I was hitting it pretty good with a nice little fade but not consistently.

I then tried the MP600 with Diamana Blue 73 Stiff. Wow what a difference. For some reason this shaft

made the club come to life. It was now longer by a good 15 -20 yds and shots were

much more consistent. It was almost as if I were going out and placing the tee shots on the driving range. I was aiming at a 265 yd marker and with other

shafts I was landing right around the flag or just short. With this shaft I was flying over the top of the flag. So again for me and my swing

the combo really worked well. I will post back results once I can get it to the course.

I went to a demo day Friday and tried several drivers.

I hit TBTP,TB, Ping G10, Callaway HyperX all with stock shafts. Out of all of these I never

found anything two spectacular the TaylorMade was long but very inconsistent for me. I then decided to try the MP600. I hit several shafts including

the EPIC, Fuju-360. With these shafts I was hitting it pretty good with a nice little fade but not consistently.

I then tried the MP600 with Diamana Blue 73 Stiff. Wow what a difference. For some reason this shaft

made the club come to life. It was now longer by a good 15 -20 yds and shots were

much more consistent. It was almost as if I were going out and placing the tee shots on the driving range. I was aiming at a 265 yd marker and with other

shafts I was landing right around the flag or just short. With this shaft I was flying over the top of the flag. So again for me and my swing

the combo really worked well. I will post back results once I can get it to the course.

Well I got to the course yesterday afternoon with the MP600 with Diamana shaft for head to head against my L4VX.

The first couple of holes that I hit the driver on were pretty straight but nothing spectacular as far as distance goes. The L4VX was

definitely longer but not significantly probably around 5 yds but with MP600 I was hitting a slight fade where as the L4VX it was more drastic.

I then started messing with the weight configurations which really do work. I set the club up for slight draw first which resulted in hooks I then

setup for fade and started hitting cuts. I then setup neutral with low spin and started hitting much straighter with a slight fade and the distance was good

but not great. After about 5 holes of trying all different kinds of configurations I was starting to have buyers regret as the driver was good

but again nothing spectacular. I then decided to try one more configuration that I had not tried which was setting weights to 3 and 4 which is

neutral but with high launch. Wow what a difference. All of sudden I am still hitting it straight with a slight fade but the distance now is

much better. I actually hit the longest drive I have ever hit. It was a downhill drive on a 425 yd par 4 but I was only 50 yds from the green.

I don't have nearly the swing speed of some of the guys that I have read about on this forum but for my 105-110 swing speed I will

take it all day long. So if you have the MP600 don't give up on it until you really mess around with different weight configurations.

Anyway I guess my L4VX will be going up for sell soon.

• 1 month later...

This club looks amazing, but yet again, a great club doesn't come to the lefty side :)

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Quick thoughts on the MP-600. I have been playing the MX-500 this year with a V2 and although I feel it is a nice driver, I do not have 100% confidence in it. I think my tinkering with composites is gone as I tried the Cobra 414 and FT-3 and they did not last long.

I really was not looking for a new driver but I had an opportunity to get a MP-600 slightly used with a Blueboard 73 for pretty cheap and jumped on it and boy am I glad I did. I am not sure if it is the shaft and/or combination but this thing instills extreme confidence in me. I feel I can jump on it and where with the MX-500, I would have a tendency to block right, with this setup - no worries. Long, boring and straight but workable. I have tried pretty much all the weight settings and decided to just stick with neutral (5-2) as it allows me more flexibility with working the ball. For example I played 9 today and it has been raining here for 3 solid days and the fairways are wet so I could see exactly where the ball landed and I hit 4 of 5 fairways and averaged 260 carry and for me those are huge drives.

Thanks to all the reviews here and the comment I kept seeing regarding this driver is that it keeps the ball in play and I can absolutely attest to that. Anyone considering a MP-600 I would strongly urge you to demo it and after using it with the Blueboard, I now understand the fascination with specialty shafts.

• 3 weeks later...

My courses pro has a MP-600 as well as a D2 and seeing as my shaft snapped on my 'ol launcher, I asked him if I could use his MP-600. His D2 has a Diamana blueboard which the launch moniter confirmered, did not fit my swing. The MP-600 played at 44" and had a Accra XE 80. It had been cut from both ends so it was almost a X flex, but not quite. My swing speed is around 100 swinging smoothly so the shaft wasa little stiff for my liking, but I am not on this forum to talk about the shaft. The clubhead, I really did take a liking to. It looks great at address and so does the face. The sole is not as atractive with the weights, but I guess their function out does the looks. From what I hear, they work. The sound of impact was great. Impact felt great too, maybe it was the shaft, but I was able to hit most shots on the sweet spot. Distance was not as great as I would have wanted, but I have a feeling that the shaft is responsible for that. As a tour caliber club fitter told me, modern day driver heads are for the most part generic. I will propably purchase this club. It looks the best which is what i care about most because looks instill confidence which instills performance.

Can you make any comparison of the MP-600 to either Ping G10, Taylor Made Tour Burner or Callaway FT-5 or Hyper-X Tour?

I have always been a fan of Mizuno for their clean classic looks and great feel, however how does the driver perform? I had a MP-001 400c 10* with a Grafalloy Blue which performed nicely and still have sitting in the corner for a backup.

Any particular shaft recommendations to go with the MP-600? How do the lofts compare to other manufacturers?

I have had both the stiff stock fuji and the matrix code 6 x flex. The Fuji played soft and felt great but produced too much spin. The Matrix is as stiff as hell but long as hell too! I have hit it with a v2 66g x and it felt almost identical to the firm, quick, very solid feel of my matrix but not as long. I know Diamanas are common in this club but I have not tried it. Just mess around with a few different shafts and see what you like and I guarantee you can't do better than the MP600.

• 1 month later...

I am hitting more fairways with MP compared to my FT-5 right now. The club is longer and I have it set with slight fade bias. I just picked it over the look and wanted Epic shaft as well. The Caly has Pershing 75S and draw bias. The face looks closed and my confidence went up quite a bit with Miz also.

Everyone mentions hitting something new and longer in the same breath. The best two drivers for me have been the stone 33R and the MP. Both have a similar look and both are so much easier to play shots matching hole characteristics...for me anyway. However, I do not want my bad shots going left..and found this type of control with both clubs mentioned. The FT-5 may just be configured wrong for me.

I love the Miz/Epic combo!!!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Try sticking this head to an easy shaft and you'll be amazed. Out of the blue, I pulled my long-keep Fujikura Z-Com MW44 R-Flex just for a try, hoping nothing new from the same old shaft (Com'on this was the shaft I played when I was a nube, with SS even less than 85)

Guess what, this is the easiest combo "swing back & swing through" and watch the ball fly farrrrr. Even caddies around the course asked me what driver it was "So EASY".

So, thought I was macho, but now I'm a changed man. Get an after market "R-Flex" and tried it out, BE SURPRISE.

• 1 month later...

My previous driver was an MP-001 460. I was happy with that driver. But when the MP-600 came out, I needed a new toy. This is not a toy. I got mine with the Grafalloy Epic Stiff Shaft and I can immediately tell the difference between the two drivers. The 600 has a long and boring ball flight. It really goes a long way. It is also easy to hit. The hits off the toe are shorter in distance but if I hit one of the toe, this means I made a bad swing. In Wisconsin, I can only wait until it warms to see how distance has changed with my normal ball in normal weather.

Does anyone know the gram weight of a MP-600 head only?

I remember reading somewhere, that it is heavy, about 204-206 grams. But I cannot remember the exact source or how reliable it was. From my previous experiences with them, I am sure that Mizuno will answer this sort of question in a heartbeat.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.