On the Range Protracer @ PGA - Juiced Numbers for TV...

tgoodspe1991

Anyone else frustrated with the "On the Range Protracer" on display at the PGA Championship right now?

Look, don't get me wrong, I think it's a really cool addition to watching the players practice. But someone must have juiced up the numbers on there because they are totally inaccurate. Twitter went crazy over Rory Mcilroy carrying 3-woods over 300y and carrying his driver 360y. I know he hits it long, but he does not hit it that long. It's not like I'm in denial here, it's just a fact that Rory doesn't routinely carry his driver over 360y.

It's clearly juiced up when watching Matt Kuchar too. Matt was hitting driver, and was sort of spraying a few right. He was not hitting it well. Yet Protracer said Kuchar was carrying his driver on average of 312y LOL. Guys, c'mon, Matt Kuchar doesn't carry his driver 312y.

Obviously it's juiced up, because it would have a very negative effect if people watched and go, "Oh, Matt Kuchar is only carrying his driver 275y? That's boring." Even though that's relatively accurate. People want to believe these guys are hitting it 300y+ every time.

These guys are long, but they aren't that long. Hence why the Long Drive Contest on the Par 5 10th was won with like 321y. Where was Rory with his "360y drive" then?

I think it's bad for the game for TV to keep making these guys superhuman. They're very, very good players. But exaggerating their skillset is being a little unauthentic if you ask me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I know he hits it a long way. He posted Trackman numbers on Twitter when he was battling Chamblee that was like 330y carry. Maybe the range is downhill and their capitalizing on it. I still think it makes for good TV for the majority of golf fans, but I also think it's a deceptive attempt of the whole "These Guys are Good" campaign.

"It's clearly juiced up when watching Matt Kuchar too. Matt was hitting driver, and was sort of spraying a few right. He was not hitting it well. Yet Protracer said Kuchar was carrying his driver on average of 312y LOL. Guys, c'mon, Matt Kuchar doesn't carry his driver 312y."......

he doesn't ? :dntknw:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Sorry that your life is so terrible from watching the pros on the range...

No need to be passive aggressive. That's not my point. My point is why is it necessary to exaggerate their distances?

my apologies. Hard to read sarcasm online, I forget that all the time. I guess I don't see it being a huge deal if it was exaggerated.. but the more I think about it, I don't really think they probably are. Rory has been hitting his driver like I have never seen anyone hit that club before. Also take into account, the range could be slightly downhill, the wind could be at their back.. Those guys hit the ball far

I was thinking the same thing watching Kuchar routinely carry it +300. His total average driving distance on the year is 285.7...

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Based on some threads around here, I'm still trying to figure out when hitting driver a long ways went from cool/awesome to ruining the game?

Also, I noticed Kuch's numbers on the protracer and had to think they were a bit juiced as well. Nothing against Kuch, but I never knew him to be on to consistently carry it 310+ in the air, especially with a lowish fade.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I know he hits it a long way. He posted Trackman numbers on Twitter when he was battling Chamblee that was like 330y carry. Maybe the range is downhill and their capitalizing on it. I still think it makes for good TV for the majority of golf fans, but I also think it's a deceptive attempt of the whole "These Guys are Good" campaign.

Just measured the length of Quail Hollow's range and it appears to be right around 350 yards so I guess those that Rory hit into the woods behind the range are pretty accurate. OP, I agree, seems crazy to think that Rory was carrying it *that* far.

For measuring I used arcgis.com

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Just measured the length of Quail Hollow's range and it appears to be right around 350 yards so I guess those that Rory hit into the woods behind the range are pretty accurate. OP, I agree, seems crazy to think that Rory was carrying it *that* far.

I just used google earth to measure the range at Quail Hollow as well. I took the deepest point of the range tees and the deepest point where the tree line started and was around 340. Considering Rory's ball sailed the trees and not just roll in, I would guess it is probably pretty accurate..

UPDATE: Just checked the elevation from the back of the tee to the beginning of the trees and sure enough, the range does happen to run downhill. Just over 8 yards decline..

OP; funny you posted that. I was thinking the same thing about Kooch while watching here in my office during a late lunch. Cool to watch, absolutely, but something was definitely off about it.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Based on some threads around here, I'm still trying to figure out when hitting driver a long ways went from cool/awesome to ruining the game?

It's not ruining the game. I love that people are hitting the ball farther. I think it's changing the game dynamics, and it's fun to watch. My point is accurately portraying their skill level to people at home. Maybe I'm being picky here, but to me, that's like watching baseball and they start measuring pitches 10mph faster all of the sudden just to make it look like, "Wow, these Pros are so good and can throw the ball so fast." If someone could actually throw it that fast, that's awesome, but don't lie and say that everyone is throwing that fast now.

I just used google earth to measure the range at Quail Hollow as well. I took the deepest point of the range tees and the deepest point where the tree line started and was around 340. Considering Rory's ball sailed the trees and not just roll in, I would guess it is probably pretty accurate..

UPDATE: Just checked the elevation from the back of the tee to the beginning of the trees and sure enough, the range does happen to run downhill. Just over 8 yards decline..

Crazy right?? Rory must have had a smash-factor of 1.95 on that one!!!!!

(Just kidding guys, we've been down the maximum-smash-factor road before)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I was thinking the same thing watching Kuchar routinely carry it +300. His total average driving distance on the year is 285.7...

That's my point. Kuchar doesn't routinely carry it the ~312y number it was showing. Also, it was showing 300y+ carries when he mishit one way right. I mean Kuchar's arm was off the club and you could tell it was a horrible strike, oh, wait, 305y+ carry, lol.

8 yards down hill, 340 to the trees, for myself most around these parts that’s a cut 5 iron.

The numbers are just show considering nothing about wind and the settings on the equipment are announced. It’s probably within 5% of reality. At 300 yards that’s a 15 yard variance not counting wind aid

under review...

All clubs fitted and custom made by Cool Clubs.

So it's either:

1) Range is downhill

2) Someone is tweaking numbers by a few percent, in real time on actual ballflight, but still close to the actual measured distance of the plot of land

I'm telling you Rory is that much on fire with that driver right now, wouldn't say that unless I saw it myself. Rory averaged 343 at Firestone, Jhonny Vegas 337, Bubba was 335, Koepka 331, Jordan 322, Dustin 318, Pieters 310, Kuchar was 301. Doesn't really matter what the numbers are but he's beating the field.

Runaway Rory this week a la Congressional.

Guys keep mentioning the Rory numbers, those didn't seem that weird to me. The Kooch numbers were flat out not accurate. He can't wipe cut one that carries 312, let alone a handful of them in a row.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I think I saw on twitter where someone entered his launch conditions into some trackman thing and the carry distance definitely wasn't correct on the online feed. I think his carry was just under 320, which makes more sense.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I don't think its really necessary to show yardages anyway. As long as they show the protracer and the flight is accurate, I really like it. It makes watching golf more fun for me. I know not all agree, but I really enjoy seeing where the ball is going when the camera angle is directly behind. As far as the numbers go, I really don't care. Just tell me what stick they are swinging (unless you don't actually know) and show me where its going!

No need to be passive aggressive. That's not my point. My point is why is it necessary to exaggerate their distances?

you answer your own question.. at least the answer you're clearly looking for....

Obviously it's juiced up, because it would have a very negative effect if people watched and go, "Oh, Matt Kuchar is only carrying his driver 275y? That's boring." Even though that's relatively accurate. People want to believe these guys are hitting it 300y+ every time.

I don't think its really necessary to show yardages anyway. As long as they show the protracer and the flight is accurate, I really like it. It makes watching golf more fun for me. I know not all agree, but I really enjoy seeing where the ball is going when the camera angle is directly behind. As far as the numbers go, I really don't care. Just tell me what stick they are swinging (unless you don't actually know) and show me where its going!

This is true as well. I like seeing some of the data myself, like apex height and distance. But overall, I think protracer is one of the best additions to televised golf, even if it's inaccurate sometimes!

And I believe someone above mentioned 5%, that's what I'm estimating as well. And again, this could be simply because it was downhill and slightly downwind, but I estimated yardages to be off around 15-20y. It's not extreme, and in Rory's case I know he still bombs it. But it was more in Kuchar's case when he's wipe cutting one with a 312y carry. That's saying Kuchar is as long as Koepka or Bubba or something. Sorry, that's just not the case. :cheesy:

I agree. Many venues also cut and roll the fairways so that a drive that carries 280 ends up going 320...supposedly good for TV.

QH Range

I would be thrilled just to clear the bunkers with my drive.

Don't shortchanged yourself!!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

First of all they don't always hit driver on a measured hole. Second, responding to another comment about Firestone. If that place is not wet their are speed slots in a bunch of the fairways. If you can get to them, you are getting 50 yds or more on a tee shot. How else do any of you think they justify a bunch of 500 yard par 4 holes? I have been there and played there...greens and fw's are beyond perfect and if you can stay in and on them scoring well is possible.

On the long drive hole yesterday Kokrak hit one 321...so why didn't RM beat 'em all on that hole?

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR