ProV1 & TM Red LDP

dude

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i've read.. if you like the feel of the prov1 the red is the ball that is more like it. Is everyone sure that TM switched the red and black this year? It seems the red is the softer feel ball.

Going a bit beyond that for 2008 TaylorMade has completely reworked the balls. The TP Red LDP is now intended as the lower spin ball for players who want to control their spin.

Black LDP is for lower spin players who need a higher spinning ball.

One of the big complaints in last generation's product was that Red and Black were too similar. We should have our interview with Dean Snell up by the end of the week which has tons of info about the new 08 TaylorMade ball line up.

The Black is a higher spinning ball, I'm looking at a box right now. Also the black is a very soft ball, feels great off all clubs.

According to a phone conversation with a TM customer service rep the black LDP is higher trajectory and lower spin of the driver, compared to the red LDP. I've tried both versions of the LDP and found the black to be higher launch and softer off the irons and putter. The LM indicates the red to yield a lower spin rate, wasn't really by much ~100-200 rpm at most and undetectable on the course at my ball speed(135-140). In addition the cover seems to hold up better with the red, when it comes to wedge shots. Hope this helps.

I haven't tried the 2008 version of the TM ball. But neither of the 2007 were close. The V1 is a much softer ball, with minimal lose of distance and a much, much, much, better spin on short chips and pitches. The 2007 TM balls were rock hard balls, with minimal spin, IMHO, either version, but I only tried a sleeve of the reds, but unfortunately a box of the blacks, which my daughter took because I hated them.

Below is an email i received from Taylormade: It looks like with the red you are getting the softness of the prov1 and the distance and lower spin of the prov1x. What a great combination.

I'm happy to hear that you're interested in trying the new balls. I've recently tried them both and they are awesome. The TP Red with LDP is going to be a softer feeling 4-piece ball with a lower trajectory and less spin. The TP Black with LDP is going to be a harder feeling 3-piece ball with a higher trajectory and more spin. Hopefully this helps; if you have any more questions feel free to give me a call at 866-530-8624.

Thank you again and we wish you continued success with your golf game!

Best Regards,

Peter

Below is an email i received from Taylormade: It looks like with the red you are getting the softness of the prov1 and the distance and lower spin of the prov1x. What a great combination.

I'm happy to hear that you're interested in trying the new balls. I've recently tried them both and they are awesome. The TP Red with LDP is going to be a softer feeling 4-piece ball with a lower trajectory and less spin. The TP Black with LDP is going to be a harder feeling 3-piece ball with a higher trajectory and more spin. Hopefully this helps; if you have any more questions feel free to give me a call at 866-530-8624.

Thank you again and we wish you continued success with your golf game!

Best Regards,

Peter

Yep, just got back from Myrtle Beach and an exhaustive 5 day testing of the Red and Black. Black is definitely the higher flying ball. The Red was much better into the wind because of it's low trajectory. I found the Red a bit softer than the Black, but didn't see much difference in green-side spin or putter feel. I think one of the previous posters got it right - the feel of the ProV1 and the spin/flight of the ProV1x...best of all worlds....and only $39.99 vs $45 for ProV's, Nike's, and Callaway's.

You do the math.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

I find the TP Red to be very long off of the driver, and soft feeling off the irons. Despite the fact that it feels soft in a rubbery kind of way, I don't know that it checks up tremendously on greens on short pitch shots and whatnot. Yes, it checks, but not quite like the ProV1 (I don't think -- have to do some more testing, though).

This is going to be my ball this year unless I'm blown away by something else. It was so long and straight off the driver (today) that I'd consider using it more even if it meant a big shortcoming in another area. But I don't notice a real trade-off or shortcoming in other areas, and that's what's so good about it. I like it a lot.

/< / /2 /<

I've been playing both for a week now. The Red is very soft feeling and ridiculously long of te driver due to less spin. The Black is harder feeling but has a higher trajectory and spins much more.

I'm leaning towards the Red because I'm really don't need help in the more spin catagory. I can tell you this......most touring pros (men and women) are using the Blacks, especially in firm and fast conditions. You can't go wrong with either......both are great balls.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I really liked the 07 Red and just got the 08 Red and will try tomorrow. Both the 07 and 08 Black felt harder to me and they did fly higher but I prefer the softer feel of the Red. According to the golf magazine ball review the spin between the two is very close. I felt that the Red was longer off of the tee for me because I have a tendency to put alot of spin on the ball (swing flaw) and the less driver spin the better for my distance. I found the Red to go very straight for me even straighter than the E6.

it's a no brainer for me, i've played the v1 and 08 tm red and the red is the money ball. infact i bought a box of v1s until i got the 08 tm reds and now the v1s are sitting on the shelf. i've also upped my closie count since using this ball..it's also longer off the driver. my 2c.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Many great posts here and pretty accurate. The TP Red is a soft feeling 4 - Piece Ball, that's very long and soft! One benefit over the Pro V1 is that it's longer and has controled spin into greens. Many Tour Players like feel of the Pro V1 over the X, but don't like the spin into greens. Last year on Tour, TaylorMade had about a 60% (Red) - 40% (Black) or 50% - 50% split depending on the week. Now I hear it's closer to 80% (Red) - 20% (Black). Justin Rose switched (after winning the Order of Merit with the TP Black) to the Red and stated he was shocked by the Red being so soft and so long!

I've been playing both for a week now. The Red is very soft feeling and ridiculously long of te driver due to less spin. The Black is harder feeling but has a higher trajectory and spins much more.

I'm leaning towards the Red because I'm really don't need help in the more spin catagory. I can tell you this......most touring pros (men and women) are using the Blacks, especially in firm and fast conditions. You can't go wrong with either......both are great balls.

I only found 1 guy on TM's website that says he is using the black. All the rest are using the red, although there were only about 15 available WITBs, but it was 6-1 according to their website. I wonder what the rest of their players are playing? ProV1? Callaway?

I know that feel with balls is a very personal thing, but my experience with the 2007 red is the same as Threeputter.

I had high expectations on this ball, but I tried on two different rounds and in both cases I had to revert to a NXT tour as with the TM red I was shanking every single shot. In the second occasion I was playing with other people and after three holes they thought I was playing golf for the first time. Then I reverted to a NXT tour and I started to make pars again.

Personally I get more control out of a stone than those balls, but again it must be just me

I know that feel with balls is a very personal thing, but my experience with the 2007 red is the same as Threeputter.

I had high expectations on this ball, but I tried on two different rounds and in both cases I had to revert to a NXT tour as with the TM red I was shanking every single shot. In the second occasion I was playing with other people and after three holes they thought I was playing golf for the first time. Then I reverted to a NXT tour and I started to make pars again.

Personally I get more control out of a stone than those balls, but again it must be just me

If you were truely shanking the ball then the ball had nothing to do with it. There isn't a ball in the world that is anti shank. It might have been psychological more then anything.

If you were truely shanking the ball then the ball had nothing to do with it. There isn't a ball in the world that is anti shank. It might have been psychological more then anything.

No a ball won't shank on it's own, but hitting a rock a few times and having your hands feel like you mishit a baseball in winter off a wooden bat might make your cringe everytime you swing. And that certainly might cause the shanks.

No a ball won't shank on it's own, but hitting a rock a few times and having your hands feel like you mishit a baseball in winter off a wooden bat might make your cringe everytime you swing. And that certainly might cause the shanks.

Are we talking about the 2007 Red here?? Or are we talking about the 2008 (or current -- whatever the year may be) Red? I think that only the current Red is most pertinent here... Maybe the previous Red was a rock, but the current one sure isn't. From pars to shanks to pars? It's not the Red -- or any ball -- causing that.

Are we talking about the 2007 Red here?? Or are we talking about the 2008 (or current -- whatever the year may be) Red? I think that only the current Red is most pertinent here... Maybe the previous Red was a rock, but the current one sure isn't. From pars to shanks to pars? It's not the Red -- or any ball -- causing that.

I haven't tried the 2008's. But the 07's in both red and black were horrible rocks. I do plan on trying them, but based on my previous experience, I'll probably wait til a friend buys some and them "borrow" a ball for a round.

I haven't tried the 2008's. But the 07's in both red and black were horrible rocks. I do plan on trying them, but based on my previous experience, I'll probably wait til a friend buys some and them "borrow" a ball for a round.

I see. And I can understand that, after being left with a bad taste in your mouth from one version, it'd be tough to give something by the same name another shot.

All I can say is that the new Red (haven't tried the Black, and am not sure that I will) SOUNDS to be nothing like the previous one. This thing is soft, and goes forever off the driver. Definitely stea-- I mean BORROW a couple from a friend!

played the tp red tonight for the first time. feels hard and goes miles off the driver, feels nice off irons and has a nice low trajectory! doesn't spin as much as prov1x on approach shots which for me is great! also doesn't check as much around the green which is the only fault i can find with it! really nice off the putter!!!

will be buying a box next week!

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B