2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bandon 2nd Time Around...What Do You Do Differently?

MrMileHigh

I recently booked my 2nd trip to Bandon Dunes for April 2018. I went with a group of 4 in March of this year and was chatting with a guy that went with me about what we would do differently. I thought it would be interesting to open that question up to the Bandonistas. What would / did you do differently from your first trip to Bandon Dunes to your second trip?

Here are a few things I'd do differently:

• Not get a message. My back was a disaster and needed help but for ~$100 the massage wasn't very good and I could have gotten the same relief from a soak in the sauna.
  • Skip the Gallery. The food was good but definitely not what I was expecting given the prices. Service wasn't great either.
  • Play more golf! We only played 18 our first day thinking that 18-36-18 was enough. For our next trip we're doing 36-36-18
  • Skip a sit down breakfast. We did the Gallery buffet one morning and got breast sandwiches the next 2 days. This allowed us more time to mess around at the Practice Center and more shenanigans on the practice green before we teed off.
  • Plan a mellow first day. We arrived at midnight our first night and played golf the next morning. This time we're arriving midday and taking the afternoon for an 8 person group on Preserve and a 2 person best ball on the Punch Bowl.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too many things really. Always play as much golf as possible and come prepared with lots of bad weather gear :)

• 2nd trip starting passing on the buffet breakfast and ordered off the menu
  • 4th trip stayed in town once to get a break from the resort
  • 5th trip no one gets the buffet anymore, no changes since then that I can think of.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Here's what we did differently on our second trip:

1. Broke the drive up over two days instead of one - We are 10+ hrs from Bandon and doing the drive in one day left us gassed. Also, we rented two large SUVs to take us and our gear instead of cramming into our own cars.

2. Had a bigger group - We took 8 people instead of 4. More people equaled more fun for us.

3. Played more golf - We played 7 full rounds vs. 5 the first time.

4. Played courses at different times of day - I remember playing Pacific twice at sunset on our first trip. One of the biggest surprises for me the second time there was when we played Pacific first thing in the morning. It was a totally different course with less wind and some pretty amazing light. When we double up on a course now we try to schedule it once as a morning round and once as an afternoon round.

5. Played the Preserve and the Punchbowl - They're both a ton of fun.

6. Drank more - we drank way more the second time we were there. We were "that group" in McKees on our last night.

Except for (maybe) point 6 we'll look to keep things the same when we do trip #3 in November. One of the things I like about going to Bandon is that it seems like we refine the trip every time. It always seems to get better.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

1) We brought more of our own beer and liquor.

2) Skipped trying the fancier places for dinner and ate at McKees since by the end of each day we were toast and hammered, so sustenance was the priority

3) Skipped the Preserve and took a bottle to Shorties and/or Punchbowl

4) Skipped breakfast and brought bagels and deli meats/cheeses

5) Played as much golf as possible, though our first day is usually only 18, with time to warm up before and chill/drink at Punchbowl/Shorties after.

6) Stay over an extra night instead of rushing to drive home after playing that morning, because ending the trip with a late 8 hr haul is a bad way to finish a great trip.

In most ways we got cheap, but mostly we wanted to add "value" by balancing expenses within the context of a buddies golf trip/vacation and time away from our families.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I would offer a few things depending on where you are coming from.

1) If you are tight for time getting to Bandon, drive to Florence and play a twilight round at Sandpines. Great warm up

2) Make sure you finish one day with an afternoon round on BD so you can stop and take in the sunset from 18.

3) Head in town to the Arcade and buy a couple beers for some of the caddies and hear some stories.

4) Play a 2nd 18 with a light or 1/2 bag (seriously you will really enjoy it, just basically take every other club out of your bag)

1. Bring less stuff. Just what you need. I didn't use half of the gear I took the first trip.

2. Commit to using the putter from off the greens. Sometimes waaaay off....

3. Full bag for the morning round (caddie or Riksha), light bag with half set walking for the afternoon round.

4. Skip the expensive meals. Eat in the pub.

5. Invest in really good Gore Tex rain gear. Get good at putting it on really fast.

6. Learn to bump and run with almost every club in your bag.

7. Keep in mind - they're just golf courses.

8. On any given shot: take one more club and swing within yourself

Okay, #3, #7 and #8 came a little later than the second trip....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

4. Played courses at different times of day - I remember playing Pacific twice at sunset on our first trip. One of the biggest surprises for me the second time there was when we played Pacific first thing in the morning. It was a totally different course with less wind and some pretty amazing light. When we double up on a course now we try to schedule it once as a morning round and once as an afternoon round.

I like this one a lot! We kind of did that with the lineup we have for the next trip. Pacific Dunes is the only course we're playing twice but we are playing it AM the first day and PM the second day.

In most ways we got cheap, but mostly we wanted to add "value" by balancing expenses within the context of a buddies golf trip/vacation and time away from our families.

Yep, we've been thinking about that too. We're thinking about the things that we spent money on that were absolutely worth it, and then cut out the things that we didn't feel like we got much as much value / enjoyment for the money.

Oh forgot one :)

Limit myself to 5 pints a night (2 on the Punchbowl, 2 at McKees, 1 more afterwards)

- or -

some combination of that and 'session ale' tins back in the room. Responsible I am ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Biggest changes for me:

1) Like many others reduced the amount of expensive dinners. My first trip I made an effort to eat at every place on property. Subsequent trips I've mostly eaten dinners at McKees. I almost always bring my wife so we'll do one splurge meal.

2) Changed arrival itinerary. It's a 10 hour drive for me, so my first time I just drove straight there in one day, arriving too late in the evening for golf and stayed at the resort. Subsequent trips I've scheduled a round for late morning/early afternoon and I'll divide the drive into more manageable sections, staying at a cheap hotel on the way somewhere.

3) Bought high quality rain gear. My first time I used some affordable sun mountain stuff. Worked ok, but not great. Now I've got gore tex.

Good thread idea OP.

Limit myself to 5 pints a night (2 on the Punchbowl, 2 at McKees, 1 more afterwards)

- or -

some combination of that and 'session ale' tins back in the room. Responsible I am ;)

5 pint limit? Dang, that would mean no beer after lunch. No way. :)

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Forgot one thing: for about the same $ as a round on the Preserve, you can take a Links Lesson with Grant Rogers. Highly recommended.

Our first morning at the resort is blocked off for sleep and range time. This might be a great way to get into the swing of things. Thanks, Spud3 - fantastic idea.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

- or -

Yeah, this is a tricky balance to maintain. The first night there is the hardest because everyone is so pumped to be at Bandon...the beer tends not to sit in the jug for too long.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

- or -

Yeah, this is a tricky balance to maintain. The first night there is the hardest because everyone is so pumped to be at Bandon...the beer tends not to sit in the jug for too long.

Ha! Back when we were yoofs, there may have been an evening or two when we'd get trollied on a golf trip, but not really now once we stepped into our 40s.

That said, our first night in Ireland a couple months back in May, with jetlag, no sleep, 18 holes under our belts, we may (most definitely did) over indulge. The following day's round was not pretty golf.

I really enjoy a good beer(s), but do like to get up at 6:30 and go golfing too :)

F.T.

10 hour drive is too much.?? C'mon ... no Canadians responding yet? One of our rights of passages is driving to Florida

I've had my fill of drives South from Toronto from 10-26 hours straight. Key West was a killer but I was young and foolish

Last winter I did the 19 hours direct back from Destin a few times and Myrtle Beach (14 hrs) a few times as well

I see a lot of Bandon ideas that match Scotland when we did that 5 years back. At least 2 pairs of golf shoes and less cold weather and rain gear is all I got for you

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

10 hour drive is too much.?? C'mon ... no Canadians responding yet? One of our rights of passages is driving to Florida

I've had my fill of drives South from Toronto from 10-26 hours straight. Key West was a killer but I was young and foolish

Last winter I did the 19 hours direct back from Destin a few times and Myrtle Beach (14 hrs) a few times as well

I see a lot of Bandon ideas that match Scotland when we did that 5 years back. At least 2 pairs of golf shoes and less cold weather and rain gear is all I got for you

Those of us on/from the Best Coast cannot help it if some chose or were born in the wrong part of the country ;)

And unless you're John Madden, not flying from Ontario to Florida or the Carolinas?! Yikes!

F.T.

Those of us on/from the Best Coast cannot help it if some chose or were born in the wrong part of the country ;)

And unless you're John Madden, not flying from Ontario (I am guessing) to Florida or the Carolinas?! Yikes!

I'm with you. Living in Vancouver and the drive to Bandon is a grind. When I did live on the east coast the Tampa Airport always welcomed me just fine!

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

The 10 hour drive isn't too much. It was the 10 hour drive to stay at the resort and not golf the first day there that I changed. Now I'll get a round in on check in day.

- or -

Nutritionally beer is very similar to gatorade, and you're walking a lot, so gotta keep drinking.

Been going to Bandon since 2001 and at least one trip a year. (it helps living in Portland)

1. We stopped using caddies. We liked using them at first, and they are still great, but we now know the courses well enough and it saves $100/round. When they open a new course we will probably take caddies the first couple of times we play to learn from them.

2. Only eat at McKees Pub. We have stopped the fancy meals and the food at McKees is quite good and a good value

3. Changed arrival times. We have a big group of guys that go (16) and everyone drove down at 6am on Day 1, breakfast in North Bend and 12noon tee times. As we are all senior citizens now, I was getting pretty stiff driving/sitting in a car for 4.5 hours and then going right to the course. So now we drive down the night before, leaving after work and staying at the cheapest place we can find around North Bend. Get a decent night's sleep (as good as you can in a cheap hotel bed) and head to Bandon in the morning. We arrive around 9am-ish and play the Preserve. Not cheap for 13 holes, but the Preserve is normally an "after 18 holes" place to go. Very few people play it in the morning, so it is easy to get times AND you can play a bunch of balls if the course is empty. It is a great way to reacquaint to links golf and get a really good feel for your wedges and putting before playing the first real round. Definitely makes a difference for me as my scoring has improved by several strokes by practicing on the Preserve instead of hitting balls on the range

4. Bring my own cigars. We hang in the Bunker Bar every night and I am more than happy to pay for booze, but I can bring much better cigars (Cubans) than they have, at a much cheaper price.

As Oregonians, we figured out the Gore-Tex raingear and the Nike Bandon golf shoes to stay dry a long time ago, as we deal with rain 6 months out of the year.

Also I leave my lob wedge at home and put in a 1-iron instead to hit low shots when the wind is howling which is quite often. The tight lies really make a lob wedge worthless out there anyways.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

3. Changed arrival times. We have a big group of guys that go (16) and everyone drove down at 6am on Day 1, breakfast in North Bend and 12noon tee times. As we are all senior citizens now, I was getting pretty stiff driving/sitting in a car for 4.5 hours and then going right to the course. So now we drive down the night before, leaving after work and staying at the cheapest place we can find around North Bend. Get a decent night's sleep (as good as you can in a cheap hotel bed) and head to Bandon in the morning. We arrive around 9am-ish and play the Preserve. Not cheap for 13 holes, but the Preserve is normally an "after 18 holes" place to go. Very few people play it in the morning, so it is easy to get times AND you can play a bunch of balls if the course is empty. It is a great way to reacquaint to links golf and get a really good feel for your wedges and putting before playing the first real round. Definitely makes a difference for me as my scoring has improved by several strokes by practicing on the Preserve instead of hitting balls on the range

We're making this change this next trip as well. We're flying into Eugene to cut a couple hours off the drive and then just having a mellow afternoon on Preserve or at the practice center our first day. We drove from Portland late at night last year and my back was super tight the next morning. I could only make a half turn our first round.

Indeed you are :wave: :cheesy:

Also I leave my lob wedge at home and put in a 1-iron instead to hit low shots when the wind is howling which is quite often. The tight lies really make a lob wedge worthless out there anyways.

pffft... 60 degrees are quite useful around Bandon. Great when you're tucked behind a bunker :blush2:

Everybody relax, I’m here

Here's the latest twist on trip number 3. We are playing Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost Creek) on the way down. We haven't done this before.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

Indeed you are :wave: :cheesy:

pffft... 60 degrees are quite useful around Bandon. Great when you're tucked behind a bunker :blush2:

Charlie, not nice to make fun of your elders :tease:

And you aren't supposed to be short-sided behind bunkers at Bandon. That is poor course management :lol:

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I'm making my 7th trip next week and I've gone both in the summer and winter but never in the spring or fall season (yet). Things I've done differently and recommend based on my experiences

1) Always wear sunblock and chapstick with spf... I take a trolley and get a sunburn every time on my pushing hand :( never learn.

2) I've never play golf on arrival day... always go for a hike (labyrinth or beach) driving range, shorty's and punchbowl. I know everyons's excited to get out and play but I feel an afternoon getting use to the turf and greens is a huge advantage.

3) Agree with mixing up your round tee times... You may feel differently about a course depending on sunrise / sunset or wind conditions

4) Layers and preferably full zip for easy on and off

5) Change socks between 1st and 2nd round (veteran move)

6) Play Preserves if you skipped it... its a lot of fun!

7) Bunker bar if you can still stand and whack a q ball after dinner

8) More punchbowl!!!

9) Have a drink at a fire place / pit

10) Rent a car... though the shuttle service is exceptional. The cost is breakeven for 2 people from north bend and you can get a solid breakfast and practice session before a morning round with being your own transportation.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]