2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist AP2

G.Review

Titleist AP2 Irons

Titleist AP2 irons are advanced performance, multi-material, dual cavity, technical forged irons providing traditional solid feel, looks and shot control for the skilled player.

AP2’s high technology multi-material construction features a forged 1025 carbon steel body, tungsten nickel box, elastomer cushion and aluminum cavity plate to deliver outstanding performance and feel.

The high density tungsten nickel box is laser welded to the back and sole. This locates the center of gravity in the center, low, and deep to improve launch conditions. The box structure and tungsten nickel material tune low frequency vibration for unmatched solid feel.

The dual cavity design of AP2 pushes weight to the perimeter. The central cross member with soft elastomer cushion provides rigidity behind the face for solid feel while reducing face vibration.

Titleist AP2 irons offer a contemporary, confidence inspiring appearance in the playing position with a traditional profile and blade hosel junction. The metallic cavity plate tunes sound and feel and provides attractive cosmetics for great bag appeal.

The new Titleist AP2 irons – Advanced Performance You Can Feel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a set about a week ago and I feel like i've been playing my

best golf ever. The look of the club is nice and the feel is just as good.

Ball flight is nice and tight playing a small fade that just lands so soft

have been the results lately. Very happy with my dicision because I

was debating on either the Callaway X-20 tours or these AP2's. The only

gripe I have is the stock grips that they came with but I have since replaced

them and boy oh boy im in love. Good job Titleist!

As a typical club-hoe, I'm always on the look-out for something better or different?

I was considering the AP2's, MP57's and the Cobra Pro CB's.

I purchased the AP2's = Great clubs, no doubt. Then my beautiful wife bought me a set of MP57's as a gift and they blew the AP2's out of the water in feel and playability. As much as I wanted the AP2's to be the go to club, my choice was/is the MP57's.

Now I'm waiting for the Cobra Pro CB's to come out on 4/16. I'm told they're the S..T?

Bought a set this past weekend and played with them for 9 holes today. Played horrible so i will have to judge them on another day. Did hit a couple of solid shots, those Project X 5.5 are nice feeling. Cant wait to get out and play with these more.

Bent these to fit my specs better, will report back the next time I play.

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

These irons are absolutely fantastic! I was looking for another set of MP57's or maybe even R7TP's, both of which I've owned before. But the pro at the golf shop put one of these in my hands to demo and winked and said "try this". I understand why now. They feel softer than Mizunos to me, and I love Mizunos. And I can stand and hit high and straight all day long. I can also work the ball, although being an 11 handicap, I don't need to do much of that. I had pre-conceived notions about Titleist irons being for "other" people. But these are keepers for me! (at least for this season :D)

I took a demo set out on course today. The performance is great on these and they definitely offer playability and forgiveness. The set i used had PX 5.5, it was the first time i've used PX and i definitely enjoyed them, although i feel 6.0 would be a better fit for me personally. I think if you're looking for new clubs, then these should definitely be on your list.

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I have played alot of golf lately with these and I was consistently hitting left. The clubs were too upright for me and my swing. So I have bent them to about 2 degrees flat and I will say that these are awesome I absolutely love the feel and I can hit any shot on command with these. They are good enough to take my Mizzy's out of the bag. These are also beautiful clubs to look at and everyone wants to touch them on the course. They are soft and I mean super soft. While bending these I could feel how easily the bending bar nudged down. The chrome now has a crease in it where the bend took place. It doesnt affect playing at all, this is just a eye sore for me and Im now going to order a set to fit my specs so I dont have to put grip marks from the bending machine on them. I will probably put them up for sale on here.

I have always been a easy tempo swinger and I thought that by getting the 5.5's that I could get the most out of the club and i was Right. I picked up about 5-6 additional yards with these. When really getting on one the ball flight will slowly rise and land soft. These are money and everything I have been looking for in a set of irons.

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

Just played my first round with the AP2s - they are a really great iron and the best offering from Titleist IMO for quite some time. Got mine with Dynamic Gold S300 set up 1 degree flat - always find Titleist specs a bit upright to suit the taller golfer. They feel soft but solid and are quite workable, giving a good boring trajectory. They give that little bit of forgiveness that baldes don't give, but still look very much a player's iron at address. I wasn't bowled over by the cosmetics/ looks when thay first were shown on this site, the cavity medallion still looks a bit amateur in terms of design, especially the black frame around the Titleist logo. However you can't argue with the performance and its no surprise to me that many of their tour pros are taking a liking to this club.

i too have switched to the AP2. i love them so far. they are surprisingly forgiving. i just love the way the head frames the ball. compact, but not that too small. the topline is just thick enough to inspire confidence, yet thin enough to know that it's a player's club. perfect compromise of looks and forgiveness. alot of how well i hit a club is how the clubhead frames the ball visually. and for me, the AP2 is absolutely perfect in this dept.

I have played my AP2's for a month ( 15 rounds). I have the 5.5 PX's and I still feel they are the best iron I've ever played. My distance has increased at least half a club and my ball fight is tad higher. The only down side I have is hitting a big fade or slice(My driving always seems to put me in some kind of trouble) These clubs just want to go straight Very nice feel on contact with good feedback. I'm glad that I bought them. Now If Titleist could make a Driver that is as easy to hit as the AP2's

I like many others ordered the AP2 and had to wait 4 weeks to get them. I ordered them in a 4-PW Project X 6.0 configuration.

Appearance- These are absolutely beautiful considering the melded tungsten, the black vibration insert, and the shiny Titleist logo in the back cavity.

Feel-IMO the feel is very muted. Crisp feel was lacking for me even on "nutted" shots. This could be attributed to the project x shaft that I have never liked since the inception of the non satins. I have to include that the faces never "marred" from numerous range ball strikes.....Could this contribute to the muted feel?

Ball Flight- Extremely high.....thanks to the tungsten insert I suppose.

Final Thoughts-Again IMO these sticks will appeal to a lot of golfers out there, but not to me (and not to most of the PGA Asst. Pros that I know who are going back to their 695C/M models). The 695 series have better feel, better distance control, and better head weight. Just look at Ehell to see how many AP2 sets are for sale that are nearly new as compared to the 695's. Try them for yourself and Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just compared these AP2s (Project X 5.5) with the MP57s (DGS300) at the local golf shop. AP2s were so much softer off the face, which is hard to believe because I had hit the 57s before and thought nothing could beat the feel of those irons. I don't want to change the nature of this thread, but would the shaft cause that much difference. I've heard the PX 5.5 and DG S300 are the equivalents of one another.

Def. have to pull the trigger on the AP2s once I can afford them!

I voted 4 only because I don't know if there is perfect, but these clubs are darn close. Was brought up on standard off the rack sets so that is what I ordered and that is what I got. Took the set to a trusted local fitter for lie and loft check and he commented that he was impressed at the accuracy of the clubs lie and lofts being so close to the spec sheet from the website over the whole set. Kudo's Titleist! I had been playing with 804 os with regular flex shafts so I was afraid of being to stiff with the 5.5 px and the lower amount of offset. All's I can say is WOW technology has come a long way! As stated above I am at least a 1/2 club longer with range balls, and my flight is on a more boring trajectory. I have been working with tempo and not pausing to long at the top and the flex seems to be just right, dispertion is a lot tighter. I think I have been holding myself back swinging slower with the reg flex shaft. Could not be happier with this purchase. Thanks for the great review and all the input that was given as well.

I waited for a few weeks to try these as all the retailers in the area had sold out. I was comparing them to the X-Forged and Bridgestone J36. Initial thoughts are that these things look the part and in fact for a semi-blade are almost as good looking as the X-Forged both in the bag and at address. But that is where the comparison against the other 2 ends.

I tried all 3 with the Project X flighted 6.0's. I only have one word for the AP2's and that is - "NASTY". The head just feels way too light and I could not tell where the club was. I was also launching the ball way higher with these than I was with the X-Forged and J36 pocket cavity. Feel was almost non-existent for me. I was hugely disappointed.

I must qualify this by saying I have not been a huge Titleist fan because I feel that most of their clubs just launch the ball too high for me.

I currently play PING S59's with X-flex CS-lites in them but have been having problems with chronic tendonitis in my wrists so am looking to replace them. So far it is really only the X-Forged and J36's that compare favourably. Do not like the look of the S58's or i10's even though the performance from both is top notch.

Sorry Titleist but if I was choosing a club of yours, this would not be on my list and I aint good enough to play the ZB and ZM's.

• 2 weeks later...

My AP2's came in the week before a big tournament. I was playing the 735CM's, and had NO PROBLEM putting them into play. I was fitted for the Project X 6.0 and went 2* flat. They feel great, and the control is AMAZING! :man_in_love:

I demo'd almost every players iron in our pro shop, and the AP2's beat them all.

I tried the ZB's, but they were too blade-like for me.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a 2 handicap and here is my review of the ap2 irons

i have the the project x 5.5 in mine and after 10 rounds here are the plus and negatives....

+ great feel

+ nice high ball flight

+ work left or right high or low

+ easy to look at

_ inconsistent distances

_ weird ball flights (alot of knuckle balls)specially in the long irons.... very strange!

_ horrible wind clubs

_ spins the ball way to much

i will stick with these for awhile longer but they will be gone soon...

• 2 weeks later...

I personally love these clubs. I have not traditionally been a Titleist guy and am still getting use to these but they have great feel, forgiveness and playability. I have switched from the Callaway X-14 Tour's to Mizuno MP57 then back to Callaway X-14 Tour and now finally to these. The AP2's have good distance (not quite as long as the callaway's but longer than the MP57's, at least for me) and great feel. You will love hitting these and will feel great about the clubs. I decided on the Project X 6.0. I would definitely recommend switching the stock shafts for something else if you have a quick swing speed, the 5.5's were not stiff enough for me and I feel I have gained accuracy by switching. If you have any questions please ask, if you're anything like me- then switching irons is a big deal and I highly recommend

• 2 weeks later...

SLightly off topic but still AP2 related.

I picked up a set the other day and after playing a round with them (I didnt score too badly) I noticed that the ball flight was a bit higher then my normal flight with px5.5 and I was coming up half a club shorter then normal.

My question to you guys is, do I just need to get use to them and adjust my swing, or should I bend them 1 degree stronger?

I would like to keep the distance approximately the same for all my sets and think that bending it 1 degree stronger is the answer.

Of course I could always club up and choke down or hit 3/4 swing.

So what do you guys think, leave it alone and club up, or adjust the loft?

thanks

SLightly off topic but still AP2 related.

I picked up a set the other day and after playing a round with them (I didnt score too badly) I noticed that the ball flight was a bit higher then my normal flight with px5.5 and I was coming up half a club shorter then normal.

My question to you guys is, do I just need to get use to them and adjust my swing, or should I bend them 1 degree stronger?

I would like to keep the distance approximately the same for all my sets and think that bending it 1 degree stronger is the answer.

Of course I could always club up and choke down or hit 3/4 swing.

So what do you guys think, leave it alone and club up, or adjust the loft?

thanks

I bent my 6i - P 1* stronger as I had a higher ballflight than I would have liked. Comparing to my old set of X-Forged, I would say that the AP2s have very much more spin. Same X100 shafts between old and new set. Bending them 1* stronger compensated for that abit but its still a tad higher than what I would have liked.

3-5i were wonderful off the tee and fairways and sits very softly on the green so i left them on std lofts.