2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cleveland CG14

G.Review

Cleveland CG14

The CG14 wedge offers a perfect balance of performance, versatility and forgiveness. The club design integrates Cleveland Golf's most advanced manufacturing and feel technology with a tour scrutinized shape, sole and offset. ZIP Grooves Technology will allow players incredible ball stopping ability while the Gelback insert provides players with a soft feel at impact. The sole was engineered to promote consistent impact, and the tour designed offset creates a controlled flight on full shots.

Features:

• ZIP Grooves: milled to optimize spin and improve consistency
  • Gelback Insert: provides a soft, yet responsive feel
  • Slight Tour Offset: improves control of flight on full shots

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just replaced my older Mizuno MP-T's with a pair of CG-14's and find them very playable. Slightly firmer feeling than the Mizuno's but I'm sure that's the forged vs. cast. I did not notice a drastic increase in spin going to Zip Grooves, but the greens I was playing on were pretty hard.

I hit a number of short pitches with the lob wedge and a number of chips with the 54* and found both clubs performed very well. Despite the slight loss of feel I would rate the performance as an improvement over the Mizunos. I also like the tiny amount of offset and the way it promotes a draw on full shots.

I can't say the CG-14 is some kind of quantum leap forward in wedges, but it's a very good wedge. Has a feel somewhere between a Vokey and a forged wedge and if you like the way it sets up and are okay with the gel in the pocket then I think you'll be pleased. I'm very happy with my switch and feel like I've upgraded.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

• 3 weeks later...

are the cg14 355 taper like the vokeys? i have some shafts i would like to experiment with.

also, whats the best way to grind down the sole/heel of these wedges? I want very little bounce in my 54. I want it almost flat to the ground for those high soft/flop shots. I use my 58 our of the bunker so the bounce is fine there.

Do I grind the heel or the middle of the club?

thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is, demo it. only if you have money to buy it right away. because chances are, you will have to buy it.

The amazing feel, contact softness, easy to hit(forgiving), easy to control, and makes you wanna play around with it.

I never had so much fun hitting balls. I ended up getting a bucket of 100 balls and just practiced chipping all day yesterday for 3 hours.

It was just fun. I couldn't get enough.

Compared to my old 588, it is so much easier to hit and softer. The feedback between the two can't even be compared.

• 1 month later...
All I can say is, demo it. only if you have money to buy it right away. because chances are, you will have to buy it.

The amazing feel, contact softness, easy to hit(forgiving), easy to control, and makes you wanna play around with it.

I never had so much fun hitting balls. I ended up getting a bucket of 100 balls and just practiced chipping all day yesterday for 3 hours.

It was just fun. I couldn't get enough.

Compared to my old 588, it is so much easier to hit and softer. The feedback between the two can't even be compared.

greentooth you were right!

After reading all the good stuff on here about these wedges and seeing how many pros bags they are in thought I had better test this club. Quick to the range saw me hitting every shot I want to with the 56 deg model. I paid the money and took it home. Will add more about the club after I have taken it to the course for a full test

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

greentooth you were right!

After reading all the good stuff on here about these wedges and seeing how many pros bags they are in thought I had better test this club. Quick to the range saw me hitting every shot I want to with the 56 deg model. I paid the money and took it home. Will add more about the club after I have taken it to the course for a full test

heheh told ya buddy. I think CG14 is the most forgiving one out of the cleveland wedge family. I first went with 54/58 CG14s, which I exchanged it for 56* cg14(mainly because my iron set came with 52* GW). The 56*(Low Bounce) is so verstile I use it everywhere and anywhere. Sometimes I wish it had more bounce so I don't dig it as much(i have notorious digging-swing) but still, chip/flop shots can't be any easier than this.

• 3 weeks later...

These wedges are great. I previously preferred the Vokeys (which have better feel) prior to hitting these. I have 3 of these in my bag for over a month now (52,58,64 all 2 bounce) so I can give a appropriate review. These are so forgiving that they are great from the fairway even when you slightly miss you are never penalized. They have very good distance control and are great out of the rough because if the longer grass pulls the club and you slightly miss the sweet spot they are still close to target. They are slightly offset..minimal so you slightly draw these (not a hook). They are great out of the sand even with hard pan and the higher bounce (used to play a low bounce 60 for sand and this is just as good). They are good for chipping..not the feel of a vokey (because of the gel insert). Where these stand out...flop shots SO EASY...CHEATING. With 64 I don't care if I short side myself anymore because I can hit this straight up in air and will stop within a few feet on most shots. I would rate these a 9.75/10. Vokeys feel better but aren't as forgiving and chew up the ball too much. I love these clubs and would never not play a 64 again...I understand why so many tour players use these (by the way I have tried almost every wedge out there)... They are not leaving my bag!!!

And to those that think a 64 is stupid...I couldn't imagine not having one (this is the first one I found that I have liked and am consistent with) Rather lose an extra hybrid and have a 64 ..use this club on my home course 4 times a round on average..but its a necessity. Maybe miss extra hyrbrid..once a round and can layoff 3 wood to make it work.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

These wedges are great. I previously preferred the Vokeys (which have better feel) prior to hitting these. I have 3 of these in my bag for over a month now (52,58,64 all 2 bounce) so I can give a appropriate review. These are so forgiving that they are great from the fairway even when you slightly miss you are never penalized. They have very good distance control and are great out of the rough because if the longer grass pulls the club and you slightly miss the sweet spot they are still close to target. They are slightly offset..minimal so you slightly draw these (not a hook). They are great out of the sand even with hard pan and the higher bounce (used to play a low bounce 60 for sand and this is just as good). They are good for chipping..not the feel of a vokey (because of the gel insert). Where these stand out...flop shots SO EASY...CHEATING. With 64 I don't care if I short side myself anymore because I can hit this straight up in air and will stop within a few feet on most shots. I would rate these a 9.75/10. Vokeys feel better but aren't as forgiving and chew up the ball too much. I love these clubs and would never not play a 64 again...I understand why so many tour players use these (by the way I have tried almost every wedge out there)... They are not leaving my bag!!!

And to those that think a 64 is stupid...I couldn't imagine not having one (this is the first one I found that I have liked and am consistent with) Rather lose an extra hybrid and have a 64 ..use this club on my home course 4 times a round on average..but its a necessity. Maybe miss extra hyrbrid..once a round and can layoff 3 wood to make it work.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61) DGS200

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• 1 month later...

For those who have the black pearl finish, how's the finish holding up? Is the Black Pearl finish in these CG14s more durable than the CG12s? I ask this because I read in one of the threads here that after a few shots/rounds the finish started to peel off. Could someone please post a pic of their used Black Pearl finish and indicate approximately how long have they been using it. Thanks in advance! ;)

For those who have the black pearl finish, how's the finish holding up? Is the Black Pearl finish in these CG14s more durable than the CG12s? I ask this because I read in one of the threads here that after a few shots/rounds the finish started to peel off. Could someone please post a pic of their used Black Pearl finish and indicate approximately how long have they been using it. Thanks in advance! :cheesy:

I think "peeling off" is a bad word choice for the black pearl finish. It does wear off with excessive scratches.

I've had mine for couple months now, and during those few months, I probably used it 2~3 times more frequently than average golfers.

The wear is definitely visible. It is still in beautiful finish, but the face and the bottom sole is turning into a grey color. nothing bad, it still looks great to me.

Considering how much I abused it, I would say its holding up VERY VERY well. I was also extremely worried about the black finish wearing out.

Now that I know I can safely buy one again without worrying this time. Interesting thing is, first few weeks I used it, it wore off quicker than I expected.

After that "period" however, the rate of wearing down gradually decreased somehow.

The black pearl finish 'lightens' with wear along the bottom of the club, mostly the sole but also the bottom half of the clubface, this is from hitting the turf and grass which is abrasive. My 56* CG12 wore much faster than the 60* because I use it in the sand whereas the lob wedge is from grass only. The sand wedge actually has an oval on the sole which has worn completely through the finish and is raw metal that will rust in between sessions. It's all part of the weathering process and makes each wedge unique. When you look down at the faces when addressing a shot it is not something that is going to distract you because the black pearl finish is really not black at all, only just a few shades darker than the raw metal.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...

If you're looking at wedges, the Cleveland CG14's are outstanding. Go get shafts to match your irons and you won't find a better wedge. And if you are questioning throwing in an extra wedge, go 64 degree wedge and eliminate 1 of the the smallest yardage gap clubs. The 64 degree handles a lot of green-side situations from short yardage shots to flops to those chips where you only need to carry the ball a yard or two. Lots of flexibility and very easy to hit.

• 1 month later...

With the start of a new golfing year I decided to make the jump and upgrade my irons and wedges. I got the Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl after swinging some others and kept getting pulled towards the black pearl finish. Now I am regretting getting it as it keeps scratching up my new set of irons.

Has any body had a similar experience with the black pearl finish scratching other clubs abnormally?

I am sure I could buy iron covers to prevent this but that goes against all I stand for.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave these a test run today and they're quite impressive. I definitely like them better than the CG12. They're softer (similar to the CG10 for me), are deadly straight, and are very forgiving. They also supn an impressive amount. The only part that really bothered me was the shaft that it comes with. It seems way lighter and more whippy than the DG I'm used to. As a result, trajectory was a bit hard to control. They feel good on chips but don't seem as precise to me as the Callaway X-Forged or Nike VR. Still a great choice.

From reading many post regarding the CG14's, it seems the better players here in the forum (& internet) find the Cleveland Traction shafts to be so-so to no good for them. Me? I'm a high handicapper, thus, I can't blame the equipment, or should I? :tongue:

Still, I'm glad I switched out my Cleveland 588 RTG gunmetals for the CG14's... now just gotta practice, practice, practice!

I gave these a test run today and they're quite impressive. I definitely like them better than the CG12. They're softer (similar to the CG10 for me), are deadly straight, and are very forgiving. They also supn an impressive amount. The only part that really bothered me was the shaft that it comes with. It seems way lighter and more whippy than the DG I'm used to. As a result, trajectory was a bit hard to control. They feel good on chips but don't seem as precise to me as the Callaway X-Forged or Nike VR. Still a great choice.

• 1 month later...

I just got these wedges a couple weeks ago. I got the 54 and 58 deg in the black nickel. I ordered them with the Nippon 950 shafts and -1/2" since I am short and have a slow swingspeed. I am very happy with my choice. The are easy to hit full shots with and very easy to chip with, too.

The 58 deg does not open as nice as my Mizuno MP-R, but the CG14 is much easier to hit consistently.

I am happy with my choice, and I may get a 50 deg also.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got one recently, replacing a Taylormade RAC TP. The Zip Grooves are great, and they make chipping from the fringe easy because they impart so much spin. This also means you can be a little more aggressive and go at the hole more. Excellent out of the bunkers as well. I have the 56 degree wedge, and I use it almost any time I'm inside 120 yards. Great look (mine has the camo finish) and minimal glare. It can instantly improve your short game.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...