Callaway Tour ix

Callaway Tour ix

Simply put, Callaway Golf engineers have re-invented tour golf ball performance. The Tour ix Golf Ball is the most technologically advanced and longest tour ball you've ever played. The breakthrough in distance comes from innovative 4-piece inertia technology. A tungsten-infused outer core shifts weight away from the center of the ball, reducing driver spin for maximum distance and straighter shots. The soft core formulation provides tour-level feel and the urethane cover generates excellent short-game spin. A refined HEX Aerodynamics pattern further increases distance through reduced drag and better stability. Four pieces, two cores, one unbeatable ball.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I am a die hard ProV1 player.

Secondly, I hate everything Callaway.

I was given a Dozen Balls a couple of days ago as a gift.

I played the ball 9 holes today and I have to say that IMO it is a very good ball. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

what I liked about it....

I was getting a good feel off of my driver and irons. Driver SS is around 100+mph.

The ball doesn't seem to spin much off of the Driver, I was able to control my shots easily.

Spin on the Greens was again, very controllable.

I was surprised at how durable the ball is. Yes, more durable than the ProV1

what I didn't like about it...

I thought I would get just a little more back spin on full shots and stop the ball on the Greens just a bit quicker...

Ummmmmm Callaway makes it....

All in all, a very good ball. I still think FOR ME the ProV1 is a better ball.. only because I think the feel is SLIGHTLY better and I can spin it back on the Greens just a bit more.

I think I'm going to enjoy using the dozen balls that were given to me. After playing 9 holes with this ball I'm thinking I might get 2- 18 hole rounds in with 1 ball... can't do that with a ProV1.

How do the Callaway Tour i and ix compare to the HX Tour and Tour56? Are they replacing the Tour and Tour56? I was at Golfsmith this past weekend and they had the Tour and Tour56 tucked away in some odd place. I switched from the V1x last season to the Tour after trying the Tour and Tour56. Thought the Tour56 spun way too much.

JS

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9.0 HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0
Fairway - Titleist TSR3 15* AD-UB 7
Hybrid - Titleist TSR3 19*
Irons - Srixon Z565 4-5i PX LZ 6.0, Z765 6-AW PX LZ 6.0 hard stepped 1x
Wedges - Vokey SM9 46F, 50F, 54D/M, 58V/T
Putter - Scotty GOLO6 34”
Ball - Pro V1x #68

How do the Callaway Tour i and ix compare to the HX Tour and Tour56? Are they replacing the Tour and Tour56? I was at Golfsmith this past weekend and they had the Tour and Tour56 tucked away in some odd place. I switched from the V1x last season to the Tour after trying the Tour and Tour56. Thought the Tour56 spun way too much.

JS

The Tour iX replaces the HX Tour and the Tour i replaces the HX Tour 56. My local place has the 56 on sale for 34.99 per box.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the iX and loved it...used ONE ball on 18 holes which I NEVER do because my wedges usually shred the covers on ProV's (I've found TP's to be tougher than ProV's which caused me to recently switch to them over my ol' titties)...I hit my fair share of wedges with the ball the other day and barely shredded it...played nine more after that and really liked the feel of the ball and it's durability...I have a ton of spin from my drives and I felt pretty good with this one off the tee even the next day when I played 18 more...good ball Callaway- never thought I'd say that...

• 2 weeks later...

Found one on the course. From what I read some reviewers didn't like the way the ball felt. For me it was absolutely outstanding in all respects. I was hitting the new 2008 Taylor Made RED until I found the iX that someone lost. So I hit a 2008 Nike One Platinum, the iX and the Red. For me the iX was the longest and straightest flying of the three. The feel was superior and I was pleased with how if putted. All 5s for me.

• 2 weeks later...

After a personal best 72 today, this ball has found a permenant place in my bag today. This was my second round with it, the first of which was played in less than stellar conditions, so I wanted to withold judgement until I had the chance to play under better, more typical conditions.

Great, great ball! The fact that I shot my own personal best round is probably a coicidence, but I was really impressed by this ball. For a "premium" ball, the thing that impressed me most was it's durability. I played all 18 holes with the same ball, and if I really wanted to could probably play another 18 with it. It's usually fairly windy at the course I played today which is one of my two faves in the area, and the ix did not appear to be affected by the wind hardly at all. Even into the wind there was virtually no ballooning at all. As a result, I noticed that there was less distance loss playing into the wind than what there would otherwise be.

It is slightly, and I do mean ever so slightly firmer than what I would like around the greens. In the long game, I didn't find that it was too firm at all, not too soft or too firm, just very solid. Around the greens and on the greens, it could stand to be a hair softer, but in the grand scheme this is a trade off well worth making.

Spin was adequate. For a "premium" or "tour" ball, it seems to spin slightly less than some but personally I prefer a ball that does not spin excessively though, so the ix fits the bill nicely. If you like to watch the ball dance on the greens, you'll probably go wanting, especially if you live and play in the northeast as I do, but again my preference is for measured control.

It is a bit salty at $45 a dozen, but that's what you get if you want to play a tour calibur ball, and relatively speaking, you do get what you pay for with the Tour ix. It's a "5" in my book.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a sleeve this week before I went out because I have been curious to see how they work... I have been a V1x guy previous to this but have played both 1 and 1x. For reference my driver swing speed is ~110.

I think it is telling that the ix is being compared to the V1 in the above responses. For me I was astounded at how well the ball spun around the greens and how durable it was compared to the 1x. I usually play ~18 with a single ball but by the end it is pretty shredded (if I was playing competitively needless to say I would swap out sooner than that) and at the end of 18 I handout cut through the cover at all... scuffed... sure... but I could still play it without question.

As far as distance it was easily as long as my usual 1x on the few holes I hit a decent drive on (bad driver day).

Around the greens I cannot say enough. I had more <10 ft birdie/par(scrambling) puts than I ever have. *To Me* the putter feel was spectacular, solid (although I don't like a super soft putting feel) and rolled true.

as far as Im concerned I have a new gamer.

JMHO FWIW YMMV etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone has changed to the ix from the Srixon Z-URS. Was wondering what the differences they see, and if it is worth the extra 5 dollar difference. I previously played the hx tour, but found that the Srixon has much more stopping power on chips. Obviously, I'm wondering the spin on chips, comparatively to the old hx tour, and if it has anymore spin. Thanks

I have to say this Cally really surprised me. I was told it should lower my driver spin and give me 10 yards, and it did that and maybe a couple more. I have never hit straighter dives and LONG. It seemed to spin a little bit less than the ProV1x that I have played for 3 yrs. The only drawback for me was as another post had said the putting felt "clicky" but I change putters every 2-4 hrs so that won't be a problem :) . Around the greens it spun a little less on partial shots, but it gave me a roll out on chips that I like better than the V1x. I have always generated alot of spin and have tried everything out there to slow it down. This is not going anywhere for a while. WAY TO GO ELI'S BOYS I believe you got this one right. :)

I played 18 with one ball and could easily play more with only 1 small scuff. Great durability.

WITB…

Taylor Made r7 Quad Original 9.5 w/ V2 76g x-stiff

Taylor Made V Steel 16.5 4 wood w/ Fuji Fit On-11 Pro 95 x-stiff

2-6 Mizuno MP 30 Project X 6.5

7-9 Mizuno MP 37 Project X 6.5

Vokey 48.06 Project X 6.5

Mizuno MPT 51.08 Project X 6.5 WRX Ported

Vokey 54.10 DG Wedge Flex

Vokey 60.04 DG Wedge Flex

Putter - Whatever will make the ball go in the hole

Any Suggestions can’t hurt

Callaway Tour ix WOW

Dear Callaway,

In the past it seems that everytime you or any other major golf manufacturer make a product that gets great reviews you go and redesign it and screw it up ie. The 2008 version of the Pro V1, Thanks Titleist. Please, Please, Please do not do anything to the new Tour ix balls, you have a winner. I sit here at my computer wondering when the new and improved version will hit the street. When you have the best thing going, it's tough to get better. Thanks for you cooperation with this matter. I look forward to the new version later this year and a trip back to golf ball purgatory.

Just curious if anyone has changed to the ix from the Srixon Z-URS. Was wondering what the differences they see, and if it is worth the extra 5 dollar difference. I previously played the hx tour, but found that the Srixon has much more stopping power on chips. Obviously, I'm wondering the spin on chips, comparatively to the old hx tour, and if it has anymore spin. Thanks

I have not switched. Not YET, the only reason being that I still have seven sleeves of Z-URS left. I bought two dozen at the start of the season, when a nearby golf shop sold two dozen for the price of one. But I also played three rounds with the ix recently.

I love the Z-URS, but the ix is better for my game overall. It is not as susceptible to side spin with the driver as the Z-URS. I will have that one huge slice with the driver per round, that comes out of nowhere and costs me a hole (maybe two, on a bad day). With the Tour-ix, those stay in play, with the Z-URS, they are gone. The ix is about 15 yds longer off the driver and about 1/2 club longer on iron shots for me, and stops just as well as the Z-URS on full iron shots. It is true, what everybody says, that the ix feels clicky off the putter, but I use a putter with a very soft insert, so that doesn't bother me. In combination with the ix, this gives me outstanding distance control on long putts. Maybe the ix was made to be used with Odyssey XG putters, who knows.

The ix does not spin as much as the Z-URS on chip shots. Frankly, I do not think any ball spins as much as the Z-URS on chip shots, so it doesn't have the same stopping power. But I actually think, this makes the ix a bit easier to handle, a bit more predictable. I cannot comment on the older Callaway balls, as I have never used them, always a Titleist guy, until I tried Srixon balls. I have experimented a bit with different balls this season. My favourites were the Srixon Z-URS and the Nike One Platinum. But both are dangerous for me because of the side spin you can produce with them. The Callaway Tour ix is almost as good as those two in all other aspects, but longer and a lot better for me with the driver. That is why I will start using it on a regular basis.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Well well well, I had already assumed long ago that the words I am about to udder would never be coming from my own mouth but, after I received 3 dozen of the new Callaway Tour iX balls from Callaway.com's ball demo program I figured I would give them a real workout and see where the future of Golf is headed. I mean if not for the ball we simply would not have this game ergo no GolfWRX forum.

Kudos to Callaway, certainly NEVER expected to come away with positive impressions after playing 36 holes with this ball. I played it against my current Nike ONE Platinum and my old Titleist ProV1x

every 3 holes. WOW is all I have to say, great flight off the tee, long irons, mid, and short irons. nice flight and carried well through the wind from the L, R, and head on. Day was warming up and greens were getting very firm and fast. This ball reacted just as well as the ProV1x but not as well as the Nike ONE which held every green I hit with it. The iX release a bit and held better then the X. Nice sound off the club face and this ball is no doubt LONG and I am talking farther than the NIKE and far enough to make me question the play of the X and if it would ever hit my bag again. The ball held good lines when putting, it delivered much less feel than the Nike and a more pronounced "click" pitch then the X but it held its lines impressively and was I able to get a good feel on speed. This ball is very surprising. It spins more out of the bunker then the X, it plays lots of spin out of the rough and really delivers a fast rotation even when not caught flush or with grass between the club face and the ball.

I was really impressed with how far this ball kept its "lift" off the tee. While in air this ball seemed to react to the wind and the hexagonal dimples really used the wind to feeds it flight. I played Pilgrim's Oak Golf Course and on hole 14 which was a 540 yard par 4. After my drive on this hole, I laid 130 yards of center of the green and having played this course many times, this ball was a missile when struck perfectly and never have I flown a Titleist this far, I have come close but the roll was not as generous with the X and the NIKE was not a contender to reach that distance. That is my only knock on the ONE Platinum.

The outer shell can certainly take some punishment as where the NIKE and ProV1x where starting to show there wear as the day went on and the holes per ball added up. Off the irons, the Nike had better penetration and distance control over the iX while the ProV1x climbed higher and ballooned at times on average came up shorter on clubs that I knew carried farther..

I am thoroughly impressed with Callaway's next generation ball in the iX and if they can only soften up the cover and get a lower Shore D rating I without a doubt would put this ball in play.

I rate this ball a solid solid 4. I still think the Nike ONE Platinum although shorter is a better all around ball.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

Just found two sleeves in my mailbox. :friends: Can't wait to give them a try.

I used to like the HX Tour a few years ago and have not played a Cally ball since.

I also just got them yesterday in the mail. I don't even know who sent them. I used them today, just wanted to try them. They actually felt really good. They were long and straight off the T and soft around the green. I played 1 ball for the round of 18 and it's still in good shape. I will continue to give the ball a try. So far. So Good. :russian_roulette:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the new balls and i was not impressed. Did not feel like the old hx tour to me at all. Also, the ball felt extremely hard to me, definately clicky off the putter. I also did not see enough spin off the full shots for my liking. The z-urs has alot more spin off the full shots, and is not as clicky. Also tried the b330's and was impressed with those alot more than these. They also were a little clicky compared to the z-urs, but nowhere near as clicky as the ix. I played the hx tour for 2 years and loved that ball, but i dont think ill be playing these, i like the srixons and definately the bridgestones as a 1 and 1a in my book. Just never was a v1 or v1x guy.

I finally exhausted my supply of HX Tours and was eagerly awaiting to put the new Tour iXs into play. I only played 9 holes and I didn't have my best day but I did come away from the round with some good feedback.

On two separate occasions I hit drives that went unusually far, and I ended up finding one drive in particular that was farther than where I normally end up on a downhill par 4, and in the rough. Had I hit the fairway there's really no telling how far that ball would have rolled, but I felt confident at this point that the ix was longer than the HX Tour by at least some degree. Getting the ball to stop from either the tight fairway or from the rough wasn't a problem either. I had a 50-yard pitch from the rough to an elevated green and the ball one-hopped and stopped. The feel off the putter was slightly softer than the HX Tour...still not as soft as the old HX Tour 56 but I didn't expect it to be. Still felt better than I thought.

What really caught me by surprise with this ball was its durability. I hit some thin shots, some aggressive pitches with a Vokey SM and I even hit the trunk of a tree completely square while punching out of the woods. Each time I marked my ball and cleaned it off I was expecting to see shards of ball coming off but the scuffing was truly minimal. I noticed that the HX balls would have paint that would chip off but the ix's did not chip off one bit...maybe the RIM cover was now solid white as opposed to an off-yellow from the previous version? I don't know, but given the abuse I put it through I was VERY impressed with the durability.

I still have to put it through it's paces but I found this ball to be excellent.

Surprisingly, I was extremely dissapointed with these balls. Sure, the cover felt gummy like a Callaway, but the performance felt like a rock. It made a horrible sound off my driver and didn't go farther than the balls that I normally use. One thing that they do have is an immense amount of bite. I was fooling around with my friend on a hole and I could spin it from any lie (fairway, rough, bare ground, etc.). The ball is also very durable.

Still not the ball for me.

• 2 weeks later...
It made a horrible sound off my driver and didn't go farther than the balls that I normally use.

And you're sure it was the ball? Just curious as to what kind of balls you normally play.

I personally love the Tour ix and recently switched from the HX Tour. Since switching, I have won 3 junior tournaments (at age 14) and have brought my Handicap down to a 5.7 from an 8.3 from the back tees at various local courses. The Tour ix has the feel of the ProV1x with superior distance and accuracy. I raised my average number of fairways hit from 8/14 to 11/14 just by switching balls.

Played with the tour xi today and shot 40 on the front nine. (that is very good for me)

I like the feel off the driver and irons. Stopping the ball was no problem and even

spun a couple back on some greens.

I could also say that the xi was longer than the v1x. I was surprised at some of the drives I hit

today.

I also like the durability of the callaway. It is definitely more durable than the v1x. I played

the whole 18 with the xi and still looked good.

I have two sleeves and think I will play them for a few weeks to see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been playing this ball since it came out and love it. Today I hit a 317 yard drive (25 yards past both my buddies who are longer than me) and then took lob wedge and hit a perfect 80 yard low one hopper that checked & stopped 10 feet below the pin. I did miss the putt but it showed that this ball has it all. I just bought a dozen Tour i's and will give a review on them after a few rounds. Callaway has really done a great job with their ball.

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

Love the ball. Great distance, some of the longest drives I have ever hit and still has the ability to shape the ball off the tee. Checks up well with a lot of spin. It does have a firmer feel off the putter face, but I like that and it seems to roll smooth and true. It's less firm than similar balls such as the Nike One Black. It's a little pricey, but I've found them for $36 a dozen vs. the $40+ of the Pro V1's.

• 2 weeks later...
Found one on the course. From what I read some reviewers didn't like the way the ball felt. For me it was absolutely outstanding in all respects. I was hitting the new 2008 Taylor Made RED until I found the iX that someone lost. So I hit a 2008 Nike One Platinum, the iX and the Red. For me the iX was the longest and straightest flying of the three. The feel was superior and I was pleased with how if putted. All 5s for me.

that was my ball you found on the course. i was waving at you to not pick it up. i expect my ball returned. :)