TaylorMade Burner TP

TaylorMade Burner TP

The TaylorMade Burner TP Golf Balls combine awesome distance with tour-caliber bite and great feel.

Features:

• HPF 1000 SpeedMantle boosts ball speed while limiting driver-spin and increasing iron-spin
  • 342-dimple Low-Drag Performance (LDP) aerodynamics improves distance on off-center hits
  • Iothane cover feels soft, spins great and resists shearing, scuffing and scarring
  • Tour performance at an incredible value

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I like this ball quite a bit. It is inexpensive $24.99 per dozen and is very solid overall. I have not found the ball to be hard at all. It isn't like a balata, but is really soft for a 3 piece ball. Their website shows it to be only 75 compression. I have a tendency to overspin my wedges with Pro V 1 X's and this ball has just the right amount of spin for me. It doesn't check on short chips/pitches like a Pro V, but isn't bad. It holds up pretty well for 18 holes and has a nice look to it. I find it to be about the same distance as Pro V's and is consistent with all clubs. I must say, for the price, it has to be considered a top performing ball.

Ping 410 LST 9* X

Taylormade super fast 2.0 15* S

Ping 400 19* S

Ping i210 S 4-W

Ping Stealth 2.0  52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I like this ball quite a bit. It is inexpensive $24.99 per dozen and is very solid overall. I have not found the ball to be hard at all. It isn't like a balata, but is really soft for a 3 piece ball. Their website shows it to be only 75 compression. I have a tendency to overspin my wedges with Pro V 1 X's and this ball has just the right amount of spin for me. It doesn't check on short chips/pitches like a Pro V, but isn't bad. It holds up pretty well for 18 holes and has a nice look to it. I find it to be about the same distance as Pro V's and is consistent with all clubs. I must say, for the price, it has to be considered a top performing ball.

Just played the Burner TP today. I agree with the above. Nice ball for the buck! ;)

I can't believe ANYONE finds it to be hard. It is downright spongy off the putter. It's as long as any other ball out there...unless you swing over 115 MPH in which case I can't say, but my review would be very different from yours...I'm more like 95-105 mph.

I think it is really good, not jumpy or erratic. It rolls VERY true on putts, it spins into greens nicely, and is very stable in the wind. It is at the top of the balls that are under $30/doz., and for $24.99/doz...this thing is easily #1!

Tour balls and the Burner TP perform VERY similarly. The consistency of this ball is impressive. The distance loss on off-center hits is minimized (a bit), the response to lots of kinds of strikes is very good, the trajectory can be varied, but overall it goes pretty high. It loves to be hit hard, and really goes no matter what.

I think a lot of golfers could lower their scores with this ball. If you're handicap is 8-18, look here first. Higher than 18 would work too, but a less-spinny ball might be in order.

I'm definitely a fan! Great ball and for the $$ it's awesome!

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

I found one on the 9th hole Sunday during my round and was intrigued as I had not tried this ball yet. I usually play the b330 in the warm temperatures and the noodle + when its below 50 degrees. The ball is soft, how anybody can say it is hard is beyond me but maybe they played it in cold temperatures. I shot a 37 with it on the back nine, which for me is a good 9 holes. The greens were very hard on this course and it stopped just fine (the b330 can hold fast greens, the Noodle + releases quite a bit. This released more then the b330 but less then the Noddle +). Distance seemed higher than average but not quite as long as the b330 (I am guessing 5 to 10 less yards then the B330 but for my swing that is the longest ball I play and about the same as the Noodle +). Overall I can recommend the ball and feel it is a very good ball for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a dozen after reading the reviews here, and can say it definitely goes. On pure strikes I can't say that it is noticably farther than my normal ball (pro v-1x) but on mishits it definitely was. It was not hard at all, I actually thought it felt pretty soft. If you put a Ionomer cover on this ball for shop stopping control around the greens this would be THE BALL. But the cover is a lil firm but still soft enough to stop on full shots. All in all it's a tough to beat ball as far as cost goes. I'd play it again.

Got a free sleeve at GG AC night. NOt really impressed at all. Feels hard, flies okay, not quite short game control of say e5+, nor feel. Pretty average for mid priced ball.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Tried a sleeve of these and I am pretty impressed, usually go for the pro v1 or TM Red (2008), this ball felt soft flew well, easy enough to shape my shots, maybe lacked a bit of spin with half shots but very good ball. Felt soft like the pro v1 and felt superb off every club in the bag.

Try some of these!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Of the three balls that I consider to be closest in terms of performance(NXT Tour, HX Hot Bite), I liked the TM overall the best. Feel is subjective but I felt like this was the softest but still very solid. I would rate them like this:

Distance: HX Hot Bite, TM, NXT Tour

Spin: HX Hot Bite, TM, NXT Tour

Feel: TM, NXT Tour, HX Hot Bite

Durability: TM, NXT Tour, HX Hot Bite

Due to the lower cost and overall better results, this gets the nod for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried these in a round yesterday and I was very impressed. This season so far I've been playing the '08 TM TP Red LDP and I found this ball to be quite comparable for $15 less per dozen. Off the tee and on approaches, it was comparably long and straight and didn't balloon even in yesterday's 20 mph winds -- very similar to the TP Red. I thought it was a smidge hotter off the putter face than the TP Red and will probably spin less on short wedge shots but that wasn't something I found noticeable with my game (off 16 hdcp.)

It held the green fine -- a drop and one hop on high approach shots -- and my wedge shots stopped about like I've come to expect -- hit, hop and a very short release on mid-trajectory shots. I could work the trajectory well both high and low.

This is ball is a great value.

Ping K15 9.5
Ping G15 4w
Ping G20 3h
Callaway XR 5-PW
Vokey SM5 48, 54, 60
Odyssey Prototype Tour Series 3

I have to say that after a month of playing these I am very impressed. They seem to fit my iron game perfectly for some reason. I am not sure if it is the LDP technology but my ball flight seems to correct itselft at times. The ball will start off left or right of the flag and then come back towards the middle. I also am getting great spin off the irons and yesterday on slow greens was backing up 7 and 8 irons.

• 1 month later...

Bought a dozen in mid July. Had been using Noodles that I received as presents but wanted to try something different.

Getting the same or better distance than with the Noodles. Ball appears to be able to spin better than the Noodles. Best Example - hit an 8 iron to a 135 yard hole sitting on a flat area. Ball landed 1 foot behind the cup and spun back all the way to the front of the green, about 15-20 FT. This was in dry conditions. Never done anything like that before with any ball.

Cover holds up well.

It is a good ball that I will continue to play.

• 5 months later...

VERY impressed with this ball. Long, stable, soft enough off the putter, resilient cover and a good price. Plenty of spin; in fact, into softish greens I've been getting too much with anything from an 8-iron down. I'll be interested to see how this ball performs as the greens get drier and in the Summer on (hopefully) firm greens. As I think I've read before, very similar to the older Maxfli Tour Fire but the cover on the Burner TP gives me more grip and is a touch more shred-resistant.

Not sure if I prefer this or the Bridgestone E5+ but they're both excellent balls.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a dozen of the Burner TP's while on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach, I found the ball to be a decent ball but not the one for me. When I struck it well it did as advertised, went a long way, but if I mis-hit it, ie any type of side spin, it exagerated the side spin too much for my liking. I found it turned what would be a fade into a slice.

I found the same result when I tried the ball again once I got home, great when hit well, in trouble when I didn't. I guess the best way to find the right ball for me is to try different golf balls.

• 1 month later...

Great ball for the money. I am a loyal Pro V 1 guy because I think the ball helps my game tremendously. Well, money is a little tight right now so I was trying to find some cheaper alternative and this is the ball. Great feel, great distance, good spin, and feels good off the craz-e. Nice bang for the buck ! Way to go TaylorMade.

• 2 months later...

Really like this ball

Like others I've been a longtime NXT Tour user but wanted more spin and a softer feel, so I'd been trying out the HX Hot Bite and the Nike One Vapor along with the B330RX. The Vapor was a horrid ball and was quickly dropped, and I didn't see the outstanding performance from the RX that I expected for $42. The Bite was a fantastic ball and I wanted so badly to like it, because it had everything I wanted in terms of feel, spin, control and distance, but its REALLY soft and gets shredded very easily. I was almost ready to quit and go back to the NXT Tour when I saw the TM Burner TP's were 2 for $45 so I figured what the heck I'd give them a shot. WOW, its got all the feel and control of the Bite, but its WAY more durable. Spin wise I still think the Bite checks up a bit better, but its pretty close.

So far this is my favorite mid range ball with the Bridgestone e5+ left to test

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordinarily play pro v 1x, but a friend gave me a bunch of taylormade reds and blacks, and two burner tp's. I played the blacks on the front, and on the back nine played the burner tp (I think burner tp/ldp or something like that).

These are my thoughts:

I had a difficult time moving the ball off the driver. It just went high and straight.

I like very much the trajectory on irons, and the spin off mid and short irons was good, but I spin the ball a lot so your mileage may vary. All approach shots came to rest within a couple of feet of the pitch mark.

Feels a little vague off the putter, but not bad at all.

Two sixty yard pitch shots did not behave well. The spin was unacceptably low and the ball tried to grab (about where a pro v would have stopped) but then rolled out enough to clearly notice the difference and make the put about ten feet longer than it should have been.

If I wanted to relearn how to play some short game shots, and give up working the ball much with the driver, this ball would be a very good value. I really like the performance on full swing iron shots.

Oh yeah, the ball stays shiny and white. By the end of a round, a pro v looks like hell. There's something to be said for looking down at a nice white ball without wedge rash all over it and the finish knocked off the edges of all the dimples.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Okay...played a round with these yesterday.

Feels great off the putter & wedges, and checks up nicely on pitches & chips.

It certainly spun well for me on full iron shots. Even found the ball a foot behind the pitch mark on a 185-yard approach hit with a 25-degree hybrid on one hole.

Disappointed with distance off the tee. 15-20 yards shorter than my usual drives on shots that felt and sounded well struck....then again, could have been something going on with my swing on this particular day.

I can't tell you my swing speed...never had it measured. I normally carry my driver 250 when everything goes right with my swing, and my 150 club is an 8-iron.

Funny that I'm posting a ball review after starting an entire thread discounting the merits of ball reviews! I won't be buying any more of these...my mental game is fragile enough that one round of lost distance will disallow me from ever standing over it confident that I'm going to hit it well off the tee. Still...a worthwhile experiment for the price, and a fantastic deal for those who get better results with it.