2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I tried the new 718 AP2's and AP3's

KirkNo-yes

Had the chance to try the new 718 AP2's and AP3's. WOW. Now full disclosure I am huge Titleist guy but I really feel they outdid themselves with this line of irons. Here are my thoughts

Make up - AP2 5 - PW with Dynamic Gold AMT tour issue X-100

AP3 - 3&4 with Dynamic Gold AMT tour issue X-100

AP2's- So I have been playing the 716 AP2's for almost a year now and before that the 716 MB's. I love my irons and have been really happy with them but have been dabbling with the idea of going back to a blade but wanted to see these before I made my decision. I was blown away with how well the AP2's looked and played. the topline is MUCH thinner appearing than the current 716's and the head of each iron appears much much more compact. They went the exact way I wanted them to go with the AP2. Had I not seen the back of the iron I would have bet money I was holding the 718 blade in my hand they way it looked from address. I haven't looked at the specs but I also think they reduced the amount of offset compared to the 716's. They also appeared more satin than chrome on the face to reduce glare and ugly scratch/brush marks across the chrome.

Looks 10/10

As for the feel, wow, again knocked it out of the park. They felt wonderful and cut thru the turf beautifully. I also thought the flight felt a tad lower then I expected which is what I desperately wanted from them. I didn't get on trackman so can't confirm my numbers but the lower irons flighted wonderfully. This was the reason I dabbled with going back to the blade. To lower my ball flight in the lower irons. tight crisp shot patterns and they sounded great. I hit PW- 5 iron and all of the irons performed better than I thought.

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

first off they are not nearly as "thick" as I expected them to be so that was a huge plus. they almost appeared to be more inline with the 716 AP2's in terms of topline and size. The only downside to them was I could ever so slightly see the cavity at address. They also appeared a little more chrome than the ap2's. The offset wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be as well.

Looks 9/10

Now for the big time wow factor. Holy crap these things launch and launch big time. They also reach a nice beautiful apex and go far. now the lofts are a little strong and would take some messing with to get right but these things are rockets. Titleist nailed it with these irons and I'm willing to bet they sell a ton of these. The one thing I really liked was the fact that they didn't feel as clickish as the T-MBs' do to me. The T-MBs are great but if hit off center didn't fly as well as the AP3's. The fact that you can ever so slightly see the cavity is totally made up with the fact that these things go a LONG LONG way and launch beautifully.

Feel 10/10

As I said earlier, I am huge fan Titleist and am a huge loyalist but I had been considering going to the Taylormade 750's because I really wanted to find an iron that I control the trajectory with more from the 5 down and have something that I could launch and control easily in the long irons.

Well done Titleist

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback/review. Did you have the chance to hit the shorter irons in the AP3 or only the long irons? I take it that the AP3 clubhead size isn't that much bigger than the 716 AP2-basically the same size but just more offset?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Thanks for the insight, looking forward to trying the new MB's and maybe AP2's!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Thanks for the feedback/review. Did you have the chance to hit the shorter irons in the AP3 or only the long irons? I take it that the AP3 clubhead size isn't that much bigger than the 716 AP2-basically the same size but just more offset?

Correct, they didn't look much bigger than the 716 AP2's and the offset looked just a hair more. Not much though. Did not hit the shorter irons in the AP3 but will be soon to see how they feel and perform. Won't be playing them but will hit them.

How well did 3 blend with 2 at your break and did the 3 go through turf as well?

The lofts need to be adjusted a hair to match the break but from a set up it flowed well. LOT"S of confidence standing over the AP3

I heard the ap3 will have a price point around 1900, trying to compete with epic. Any truth to this.

No clue what so ever to pricing. Just happy to have them in my hands

Had the chance to try the new 718 AP2's and AP3's. WOW. Now full disclosure I am huge Titleist guy but I really feel they outdid themselves with this line of irons. Here are my thoughts

AP2's- So I have been playing the 716 AP2's for almost a year now and before that the 716 MB's. I love my irons and have been really happy with them but have been dabbling with the idea of going back to a blade but wanted to see these before I made my decision. I was blown away with how well the AP2's looked and played. the topline is MUCH thinner appearing than the current 716's and the head of each iron appears much much more compact. They went the exact way I wanted them to go with the AP2. Had I not seen the back of the iron I would have bet money I was holding the 718 blade in my hand they way it looked from address. I haven't looked at the specs but I also think they reduced the amount of offset compared to the 716's. They also appeared more satin than chrome on the face to reduce glare and ugly scratch/brush marks across the chrome.

Looks 10/10

As for the feel, wow, again knocked it out of the park. They felt wonderful and cut thru the turf beautifully. I also thought the flight felt a tad lower then I expected which is what I desperately wanted from them. I didn't get on trackman so can't confirm my numbers but the lower irons flighted wonderfully. This was the reason I dabbled with going back to the blade. To lower my ball flight in the lower irons. tight crisp shot patterns and they sounded great. I hit PW- 5 iron and all of the irons performed better than I thought.

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

first off they are not nearly as "thick" as I expected them to be so that was a huge plus. they almost appeared to be more inline with the 716 AP2's in terms of topline and size. The only downside to them was I could ever so slightly see the cavity at address. They also appeared a little more chrome than the ap2's. The offset wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be as well.

Looks 9/10

Now for the big time wow factor. Holy crap these things launch and launch big time. They also reach a nice beautiful apex and go far. now the lofts are a little strong and would take some messing with to get right but these things are rockets. Titleist nailed it with these irons and I'm willing to bet they sell a ton of these. The one thing I really liked was the fact that they didn't feel as clickish as the T-MBs' do to me. The T-MBs are great but if hit off center didn't fly as well as the AP3's. The fact that you can ever so slightly see the cavity is totally made up with the fact that these things go a LONG LONG way and launch beautifully.

Feel 10/10

As I said earlier, I am huge fan Titleist and am a huge loyalist but I had been considering going to the Taylormade 750's because I really wanted to find an iron that I control the trajectory with more from the 5 down and have something that I could launch and control easily in the long irons.

Well done Titleist

I just order AP3. I am senior so I only use 5 thru PW. I am playing the 716AP2. Do these get further distance?

Looks 10/10

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

Looks 9/10

Feel 10/10

Well done Titleist

I just order AP3. I am senior so I only use 5 thru PW. I am playing the 716AP2. Do these get further distance?

I seriously doubt it- Titleist arent in the "gain 17 yards...." marketplace

Thanks for the review. From the sounds of it a combo set my make it into my bag. Thanks again.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

In comparison with the AP2, how soft was the AP3? I know that they are cast and won't be as soft as the AP2, but I just want to know if it is a very noticeable difference, or if the difference in feel is minor.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Loved this review and thanks for sharing. Was hoping someone would come out with a hands on review of these as I was thinking about pulling the trigger on them this fall/winter sight unseen. Hopefully the Titleist rep will have these in hand when he comes down later in the year. My hope is to get professionally fit again here soon so I can get my irons dialed in as I'm not 100% certain I have everything perfect.

[color=#A9A9A9][b]Driver:[/b] 2016 TM M1 9.5* / Atmos Black 7 TX
[b]Fairway:[/b] 2017 TM M1 15* / Tensei Pro White 80 TX
[b]Irons:[/b] TM 790 UDI 2 Iron / HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist T-MB 4 Iron / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2's 5-PW / TT Dynamic Gold X-100
[b]Wedge:s[/b] Vokey SM6 50.08F, [color=#A9A9A9]56.10S & [color=#A9A9A9]60.08M[/color] [/color] / TT Dynamic Gold S-300
[b]Putter:[/b] TM Spider Tour Black T-Line 34"[/color]

Loved this review and thanks for sharing. Was hoping someone would come out with a hands on review of these as I was thinking about pulling the trigger on them this fall/winter sight unseen. Hopefully the Titleist rep will have these in hand when he comes down later in the year. My hope is to get professionally fit again here soon so I can get my irons dialed in as I'm not 100% certain I have everything perfect.

Rick Shiels doing a review shortly on all six sets (yes 6 sets )

Looks 10/10

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

Looks 9/10

Feel 10/10

Well done Titleist

Hey Kirk,

Thanks for doing this review. I am playing the 716 AP2's as well. Personally I find the 716 to be the best iron I've played, they are super forgiving but still can control traj, and shape if needed. With the 718's I was hoping they'd be possibly at worst be the same size, shape, offset, but really, I'd love to see them a bit thinner, a touch less offset, BUT still have that great forgiveness of the 716. Did you happen notice that they had that same forgiveness as the 716?

Honestly the 718/818 is the only release that I've really been excited to see, and been looking forward to seeing over the last 6-8 months. As long the 718 is equal to the 716 in performance but in a ever so slightly smaller package I'd be psyched! If they can be smaller/less offset and be equal or better than the 716, they'd be absolutely perfect.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Looks 10/10

Feel 10/10

AP3 Irons 3 & 4

Looks 9/10

Feel 10/10

Well done Titleist

Kirk,

Thanks for the detailed review...they sound very good...normally I get to see them at the Bridgestone invitational but was a no go this year...darn work got in the way, I was a big fan of 714ap2 and really liked the look of 716.cb just not good enough to play them. Ap3 sounds like an interesting club.

Under construction....

In comparison with the AP2, how soft was the AP3? I know that they are cast and won't be as soft as the AP2, but I just want to know if it is a very noticeable difference, or if the difference in feel is minor.

I have hit both, and I did not notice any discernible difference between the AP2 or 3 in feel.

I also have to agree with the OP, the new AP2's seem like they have a thinner topline. However, I think it is accomplished via optics and they way they shaved/shaped the back part of the topline.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I had a chance to hit the entire line this afternoon. I did not hit the MB or the CB. Both look really good but not what I am looking for so I did not bother. I currently play 716 AP2s and have played every AP2 that has ever been released. I am 51 in a few weeks, play to a 3 index but starting to need a little more help. I hit the full sets of AP2, T-MB, and AP3 today.

AP2: The 718 AP2 is the best looking version in my opinion. Feel was very good, turf interaction was very good and distance was acceptable. I was NOT using a trackman so I have no hard numbers. based on a comparison with my current set, I think the AP2s may have been a few yards longer but nothing very noticeable. I think the irons are very similar in size as previous versions. I think that maybe some cosmetic touches make the top line look thinner but I don't think there are significant changes in size.

AP3: Really a nice addition to the lineup I think these will get a significant amount of play. I think the blade lengths are slightly longer than the AP2s but they are not "too big". The longer irons are really nice to look at. Offset looks like something between AP1 and AP2. Hit the long irons fairly well with a nice trajectory. The mid irons also look great and were easy to hit. The short irons look good and I would have no issues putting them in the bag but they are longer and the toe is rounded which make them look a little low profile. Feel is certainly different that AP2s and they sound different. Sound is more like the T-mb. launch is nice and high and distance is NOTICEABLY longer than the AP2. My friend fit a very good local player and he was picking up 14yds per club over the AP2s that he currently plays. I don't know exactly how much further I was hitting them but it was a lot longer. I know the lofts are +3 degrees or so but they launch for the 7 iron was very similar to the launch for the AP2 7 iron. Really like the complete set. I don't have a problem with the short irons but I would love them to be a little shorter blade length. I also don't love the strong lofts but i could put these in the bag with no real issues.

T-MB: I hit the 716 T-mbs and liked them but actually got a set of PXG 0311 at a decent cost and opted for those. Should have kept those but that is another story. In any case, the new T-mb felt really good. Still has a little hollow sound but they ball jumped off the face and I could control the trajectory. These were close to the AP3 in distance and were also longer than the AP2 but a fairly good margin. Seemed to be easy to and looked really nice. I think I like these better than the AP3 put to 6 iron but I am not yet sure about the 4-5 irons. I need to do some on course testing. Thinking I am gaining some forgiveness and distance over the AP2s. If i hit the 4-5 irons ok on the course I would probably lean towards a full set of t-mbs.

H1 hybrid. Hit a 19 degree H1 with the blue atmos shaft. I have a 915H 18 hybrid that I like and I think the new h1 is better. I hit it a little higher with similar distance and it was anti left. I need to test on the course to see what distance was like but I think it will be a no brainer.

Overall I think this is the best Titleist release in years. AP2 users will love the new ones and I think the AP3 is a great blend of AP1 and AP2. Titleist will have a club for every type of player with this new release.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

This has been a really informative thread. I've been eyeing the AP2 for months now (had been playing CF16 before that but was hitting too far and too low spin to hold greens well), and I love the look of the AP2 top line and badging. After seeing the pics of the new AP2 (didn't love the badging on the back, too much bling for my taste), and hearing the top line is even thinner, it made it that much easier to pull the trigger on my AP2 set that arrives tomorrow.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Crap, only played my 716 AP2s for a year now and picked up some Legacy Black Stensons late last summer that knocked my 716s out of the bag, then they were back, right now out again (the feel of these Callaways is great) - but have played almost all the AP2 releases and doubt I will have the willpower to resist.

This thread is a curse, but also a blessing.