Is slope function a gimmick for some rangefinders?

2»

Comments

• It's definitely not a gimmick. It gives you the actual yardage as well as a measurement for the adjusted yardage based on the slope. It's still up to the player to figure out which club to hit.
  • Bull33Bull33 Members Posts: 15
    edited Sep 15, 2017 #33
    The math they use is actually just basic triangle math. It measures the hypotenuse with the laser, assumes the flag is a 90 degree angle to that and gives you the other long leg of the triangle as the slope measurement to help you understand what it could "play as". Is it perfect? Nope and the challenge the OP stated is not something they cannot compensate for.

The laser doesn't know whether you are going to play a high shot or a low shot, it is just giving you a distance estimate. It is up to you to interpret that information and engineer the shot you need to make for your swing and the conditions.
    Driver - Callaway XR 16 11.5°
    4 Wood - Callaway XR 16 17°
    4 Hybrid - Adams Idea A12 OS 22°
    Irons - Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4 - PW, XP 105 S300
    Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG CB 50,54 and 58 degree
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    My most recent range finder has slope and I have come to the conclusion it is of little help ,at least on 99.9% of shots, at least at my local courses. Even with moderate elevation changes, the adjustment is no more than 5-6 yards. IMHO, usually I need to account MORE for wind condition and lie condition. Rough, uphill , downhills, all have greater impact than the 5-6 yard variations.

Basically I can account for a few yards just on my naked eye, and anything more than that would require me to be a + handicap which I am not.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    To somebody that has a slope laser I have a request. Next round have the tallest player take an uphill/downhill reading. Then have the shortest player take a reading from the exact same position. Let us know how the readings compare. Thanks.

As others stated my guess is the slope feature is of limited use. Over the years of playing I’ve learned to make fairly accurate guesstimates for club selection. My Bushnell V4 (non-slope) gives me enough data. I fine tune it from there. Just this week I started a round and the temp was in the upper 40’s. By the end of the round it was in the 70’s. Flattish course but there was at least a two club difference due just to temps.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,235 ClubWRX
    cristphoto wrote:

To somebody that has a slope laser I have a request. Next round have the tallest player take an uphill/downhill reading. Then have the shortest player take a reading from the exact same position. Let us know how the readings compare. Thanks.

As others stated my guess is the slope feature is of limited use. Over the years of playing I've learned to make fairly accurate guesstimates for club selection. My Bushnell V4 (non-slope) gives me enough data. I fine tune it from there. Just this week I started a round and the temp was in the upper 40's. By the end of the round it was in the 70's. Flattish course but there was at least a two club difference due just to temps.

What's your point?

I shot an object 102y away. From a height of about 4' it was showing 102y with an adjusted distance of 108y. From a height of about 8' (4' above the previous) it still showed 102y with an adjusted yardage of 108y.

Did you really expect a difference with such a small change in the length of one of the sides of the triangle?
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

As others stated my guess is the slope feature is of limited use. Over the years of playing I've learned to make fairly accurate guesstimates for club selection. My Bushnell V4 (non-slope) gives me enough data. I fine tune it from there. Just this week I started a round and the temp was in the upper 40's. By the end of the round it was in the 70's. Flattish course but there was at least a two club difference due just to temps.

What's your point?

I shot an object 102y away. From a height of about 4' it was showing 102y with an adjusted distance of 108y. From a height of about 8' (4' above the previous) it still showed 102y with an adjusted yardage of 108y.

Did you really expect a difference with such a small change in the length of one of the sides of the triangle?

So a four foot distance didn’t affect the reading? You would think it would.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,108 ✭✭
    Considering 4' at a 100 yards is only about 6/10th of a degree difference in the elevation angle, I doubt very much most would expect any difference.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,127 ✭✭
    I have the Bushnell and find it pretty useless, in terms of exact yardage. I will let me know if a shot is uphill or downhill by a little bit or a lot, which is helpful. But in for my game it doesnt take in to account hear enough yardage when hitting uphill. Maybe I don't hit it high enough.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,235 ClubWRX
    cristphoto wrote:

Socrates wrote:

cristphoto wrote:

What's your point?

So a four foot distance didn’t affect the reading? You would think it would.

My high school math told me it wouldn’t, but I went through the exercise to get actual numbers.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 688 ✭✭
    I don't have one, but one of my playing companions does. On a severe downhill (150+ feet) par 3 shot, generally about 170 yards to the middle. I hit PW 150 (WRX!), can get that club to the front of the green (160). My companion, who's generally about 1 1/2 clubs behind me, is hitting 7 or 8. I hit it high, he's a mid-trajectory player.

I just ignore his slope reading.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,391 ✭✭
    jmkenn0 wrote:

I don't have one, but one of my playing companions does. On a severe downhill (150+ feet) par 3 shot, generally about 170 yards to the middle. I hit PW 150 (WRX!), can get that club to the front of the green (160). My companion, who's generally about 1 1/2 clubs behind me, is hitting 7 or 8. I hit it high, he's a mid-trajectory player.

Cool story. But I read your post three times and am wondering why you are ignoring the slope function?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,092 ✭✭
    The pictures at the beginning of this thread tell the story. If you hit it high and have a more vertical drop you are less affected by the slope. If you hit it low then you are more affected (hitting shorter up hill and longer down hill). The numbers shown by the rangefinder are for someone with an "average" trajectory.

Most people underestimate the effect of the slope, but learn over time to compensate, which is fine if you play the same courses. If you know how to adjust the numbers provided, you can get a pretty good estimate the first time. Of course you still have to include the effects of the lie and the slope under your feet. If that's not valuable to you in scoring, turn it off, but its no gimmick.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 688 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

jmkenn0 wrote:

Cool story. But I read your post three times and am wondering why you are ignoring the slope function?

Clear as mud? Just a random non-sequitur? I have no idea.
  • MocktwoMocktwo Members Posts: 1
    I know it has been over a year since the last post, but I found the discussion interesting. Nikon now has the "Coolshot Pro Stabilized" which can be set to provide straight line distance (like all non-slope) and also display the +/- height. (instead of an adjusted distance). Now you get an accurate reading of elevation change and you can make a better decision for club selection. I use that to improve my perception of height change and still keep my skills for making adjustments in my head.