Minnesota wrx's?

Comments

• rlheimanrlheiman Members  1347WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,347
    ladahl wrote:

My parents home (which I am at right now) is only 5 miles from the Ridge. Both these courses are run by the state and are even subsidized an additional million $ annually.....

I played the Wilderness at Fortune Bay (Tower, MN) instead. They are making a KILLING this weekend with the Ridge courses shut down... What a joke Dayton.

rlheiman wrote:

Giants Ridge hit today by MN government shut down. Anyone know why this course is impacted by this? Is it state run or state funded?

I didn't realize that the Ridge courses were run by the state. They are managed by Troon golf but I guess the state has the $$. Sad.

I be really mad if I had made big 4th plans to play the Ridge courses especially if out of state only to show up and have them closed. Not cool.

The Wilderness is awesome, so good for them to get the extra business.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ladahlladahl Members  6907WRX Points: 148Handicap: 6.8Posts: 6,907 Titanium Tees
    Minnesota WRXer's.... What do you think?

Top 3 courses in Brainerd area? Heading back for 4 days in a month.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811 XF Veylix Alpina 673
    '16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 
    Callaway Epic #3H KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311X Black #4 KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S
    SM8 Jet Black 50* ; SM7 Jet Black 54* & 58* TT DG TI Onyx S400
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? State of HockeyClubWRX  7745WRX Points: 301Handicap: 7.1Posts: 7,745 Titanium Tees
    Deacon's
    ladahl wrote:

Deacon's Lodge
    Posted:
    Atmos Blue 6S
     Atmos Red 7S
    Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Scotty T22 Newport
    Pro V1x /

WITB Link
  • RooneyTunesRooneyTunes Members  201WRX Points: 40Posts: 201 Fairways
    Just moved up to the twin cities area permanently. I was up here for most of last summer though. Just thought I would introduce myself here quick, hope to see some of you guys out on the course!
    Posted:
    ladahl wrote:

1. Classic

2. Deacons Lodge

3. Dutch Legacy
    Posted:
  • Vintage1976Vintage1976 Where the magic happens... Members  2697WRX Points: 155Posts: 2,697 Titanium Tees

Just moved up to the twin cities area permanently. I was up here for most of last summer though. Just thought I would introduce myself here quick, hope to see some of you guys out on the course!

Welcome back! There's a great golf community up here and some really beautiful courses. I think there's already been a suggestion here, but we really should have an ongoing monthly match for the Minnesota WRXer's. Maybe other people want to chime in on the subject!
    Posted:
    EpicSZ 9*  NVBlue70
    XR16Pro 14*  Revenge75
    980F 17*  VSProto80
    A12Pro 20*  RIP'Dvs80
    762 3/4-9  XP95
    FGTourTC 50/56*  DGSpinner
    SS385
    *Frequent winter set-up changes

A man has two lives. The second begins when he realizes he only has one.

Advertisement

Welcome back! There's a great golf community up here and some really beautiful courses. I think there's already been a suggestion here, but we really should have an ongoing monthly match for the Minnesota WRXer's. Maybe other people want to chime in on the subject!

That would be awesome! Perhaps we should start a new thread proposing such a match?
    Posted:
  • bsugolf09bsugolf09 Members  190WRX Points: 55Posts: 190 Fairways
    rlheiman wrote:

ladahl wrote:

1. Classic

2. Deacons Lodge The Pines

3. Dutch Legacy

Honestly, it's kind of a fun course, but it wasn't in great shape last time I played it. I know they were having financial issues, which were hampering their ability to keep it up as well as they did in the early going. I played it 7 years ago when it was pretty new and it was great. I'd have to replace it with the Pines. I love that place. Great scenery and always in great shape (every time I've played it). That's not to say that you shouldn't give Deac's a shot, but I would put those three ahead of it.

Posted:
  • linkerpanlinkerpan ClubWRX  1469WRX Points: 113Posts: 1,469 Platinum Tees
    Mu old roommate and I just made a golf trip 2 weeks ago. We played 126 holes in 5 days!

In Brainerd, The Classic is in a league of its own. Expensive, but worthy of it. Next time I will plan 36 holes in the same.

Then I would say the 2 from Craguns, where people is in love with Dutch's but the real monster is Bobby's.

I have played Deacon, is the best clubhouse and practice but wasn't as impressed as with the other 3.

Craguns have a very good staying deal, but I am not into old resorts. That is when I found out the owners also own the Holiday Inn in Baxter and they honor the same plan. Also, they have a Par 3 that can be good practice.

But for my money, the best trip you can make in Mn is upnorth to play Giants Ridge and the Wilderness. Brainerd's advantage is being less than 2 hours from the Cities.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
    Tee EX10 Beta 13, 18. Hzrdus Yellow, Accra 300F
    M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
    M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
    P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
    Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
    Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350
    Snell MTB balls
    Bushnell V2 range finder
    Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
    UA Storm Stand bag

WITB Link
  • ladahlladahl Members  6907WRX Points: 148Handicap: 6.8Posts: 6,907 Titanium Tees
    I havent stuck a tee into the ground for a while (third week in Aug).....

Looking ot play soe golf in SE Minnesota this Saturday, but most of my buddies are out of town... Anyone interested in getting together someplace?

I'm about a 14 hcp. 34 yr old..
    Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag
  • Vintage1976Vintage1976 Where the magic happens... Members  2697WRX Points: 155Posts: 2,697 Titanium Tees
    Would come down from the cities, but I've gotta work this weekend. image/sorry.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':sorry:' />
    Posted:
    EpicSZ 9*  NVBlue70
    XR16Pro 14*  Revenge75
    980F 17*  VSProto80
    A12Pro 20*  RIP'Dvs80
    762 3/4-9  XP95
    SS385

Advertisement
    Anyone playing this week before it gets crappy??
    Posted:
  • venandvenand Members  230WRX Points: 73Handicap: 3Posts: 230 Fairways
    Looks like this topic has frozen over with the MN winter....March is just around the corner. I am hopeful we will see golf courses opening soon!

A little off topic, any recommendations for golf destinations within a 6 hour range of the twin cities? My buddies are thinking of heading to Des Moines after going to South Dakota (freaking amazing), Brainerd Lakes area and Duluth the past 3 years. Please let me know if we are doing the right thing going to Iowa.....

Also, do you guys ever get together?
    Posted:
  • radimanradiman Members  4752WRX Points: 365Handicap: 3.8Posts: 4,752 Titanium Tees
    I lived in Des Moines for a short time. I can't really recall any nice public courses. Although there were a few really nice private courses within the city. But with the economic climate that may have changed. It was over 10 years ago so my memory could be a bit foggy. I just don't remember playing anywhere special when I was there.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • Titleist87Titleist87 Members  2869WRX Points: 57Posts: 2,869 Titanium Tees
    radiman wrote:

I lived in Des Moines for a short time. I can't really recall any nice public courses. Although there were a few really nice private courses within the city. But with the economic climate that may have changed. It was over 10 years ago so my memory could be a bit foggy. I just don't remember playing anywhere special when I was there.

As a Minnesotan who lived in DSM:

Harvester

Veenker

Toad Valley

Waveland

Lake Panorama

Amana Colonies

Beaver Creek

Sentimental Favorites:

Jester Park

Willow Creek
    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila DVS
    MacGregor MT 4w Aldila DVS
    Titleist 915H 3
    Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro/'87 Titleist Tour Model/'86 Spalding Tour Edition
    Titleist SM6 50 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 54 S Grind
    Titleist SM6 58 S Grind
    Titleist SC Studio Design 5
    venand wrote:

Looks like this topic has frozen over with the MN winter....March is just around the corner. I am hopeful we will see golf courses opening soon!

A little off topic, any recommendations for golf destinations within a 6 hour range of the twin cities? My buddies are thinking of heading to Des Moines after going to South Dakota (freaking amazing), Brainerd Lakes area and Duluth the past 3 years. Please let me know if we are doing the right thing going to Iowa.....

Where did you go in South Dakota?

Iowa has some nice courses, and at a 3 hour drive to Des Moines you can actually do a day trip down and back.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • venandvenand Members  230WRX Points: 73Handicap: 3Posts: 230 Fairways
    rlheiman wrote:

venand wrote:

Where did you go in South Dakota?

Iowa has some nice courses, and at a 3 hour drive to Des Moines you can actually do a day trip down and back.

We hit up the South Dakota Golf Trail (not sure if that is what it is called). Basically you pay $150 (without cart) to play the Bully Pulpit, Links of North Dakota and Hawk Tree. It is quite a drive to say the least. We spent 1/2 of our trip in the car and half of it golfing. As bad as that was I would do it again in a second. The courses were fantastic.

Links of North Dakota: Awesome links style course. Probably the most authentic links style I have ever played. Apparently they moved very little earth when building the course to give it the feel of an actual links course. Views were great. We walked the course and did fine. We tried to walk that one knowing we would be riding the Bully Pulpit.

Bully Pulpit: Really dissapointed, but not because of the holes we played. They had a ton of flooding last year and basically all of the lower holes were closed. The positives, we were able to play all of the really fun senic holes on the back nine twice! I can't wait to go back and play a full round. I just talked to the manager at the MN golf show. They said they will be ready for play very soon. This was definitily the most senic. Some great views and elevated tee shots. Played my best round there and ended up birdiing #16 twice. It is a tricky litttle par three and I just got lucky. Stole some cash from my friends in the 2 club.

Hawk Tree: At the beginning of the trip I thought I would have liked this course the best. One guy we met on the way out told us we would put it #3 by the end of our trip. He was right. Great course and very challenging. Some really good golf holes, but it just didn't compare with the Links or the Bully Pulpit.

I'll try to post some pictures this week. We have some incredible views from Links and Bully. I would highly reccomend this trip with the caviat of driving and frustration in finding a hotel room due to the oil boom.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Posted:
  • radimanradiman Members  4752WRX Points: 365Handicap: 3.8Posts: 4,752 Titanium Tees
    drstroud wrote:

radiman wrote:

Harvester

Veenker

Toad Valley

Waveland

Lake Panorama

Amana Colonies

Beaver Creek

Sentimental Favorites:

Jester Park

Willow Creek

Apparently I really missed out while I was there. Seems like a pretty good list. Are all of these in the Des Moines metro area?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • JLewJLew Minneapolis, MNMembers  1018WRX Points: 159Posts: 1,018 Platinum Tees
    radiman wrote:

drstroud wrote:

radiman wrote:

Harvester

Veenker

Toad Valley

Waveland

Lake Panorama

Amana Colonies

Beaver Creek

Sentimental Favorites:

Jester Park

Willow Creek

Apparently I really missed out while I was there. Seems like a pretty good list. Are all of these in the Des Moines metro area?

Tournament Club of Iowa is nice as well (Polk City).
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 : AD-IZ 6X
    Titleist 915F : Rogue Black 70X
    Taylormade SIM Max 3 Rescue - AD-DI 85X
    Taylormade P790 4-PW : PX LZ 6.5
    Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : PX LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5X
  • Titleist87Titleist87 Members  2869WRX Points: 57Posts: 2,869 Titanium Tees
    radiman wrote:

drstroud wrote:

radiman wrote:

Harvester

Veenker

Toad Valley

Waveland

Lake Panorama

Amana Colonies

Beaver Creek

Sentimental Favorites:

Jester Park

Willow Creek

Amana, Harvester, and Panorama are easy drives and Veenker is in Ames (ISU home course).
    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila DVS
    MacGregor MT 4w Aldila DVS
    Titleist 915H 3
    Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro/'87 Titleist Tour Model/'86 Spalding Tour Edition
    Titleist SM6 50 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 54 S Grind
    Titleist SM6 58 S Grind
    Titleist SC Studio Design 5
  • whysguywhysguy mngolferguy Members  271WRX Points: 80Posts: 271 Greens
    see no mention of Bos Landen? Played it a few years back and thought it pretty nice.

Also Coldwater just off the freeway in Ames (?)

Certainly Harvester, Amana, and TCI are my favs.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Joe85Joe85 Members  3915WRX Points: 189Posts: 3,915 Titanium Tees
    Just about that time boys. I was actually already out at my muni a few weeks ago when the snow all but cleared up, brought a bag and hit 'em surprisingly well. Going to even be in the 60s here for the rest of the week (especially in the cities here) so I expect some courses to be open very quickly.
    Posted:
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
    Joe85 wrote:

Just about that time boys. I was actually already out at my muni a few weeks ago when the snow all but cleared up, brought a bag and hit 'em surprisingly well. Going to even be in the 60s here for the rest of the week (especially in the cities here) so I expect some courses to be open very quickly.

http://twincitiesgolf.com/golf-courses-open-in-minnesota/

Here's a short list. Not guaranteed, but a quick reference.
    Posted:
    EpicSZ 9*  NVBlue70
    XR16Pro 14*  Revenge75
    980F 17*  VSProto80
    A12Pro 20*  RIP'Dvs80
    762 3/4-9  XP95
    SS385

• SPY ZINGERSPY ZINGER Members  3322WRX Points: 86Posts: 3,322 Titanium Tees
    I'm taking a day off next week to play! Going to pick the best one! We deserve this after last winter!!
    Posted:
  • Ldubbzie21Ldubbzie21 Members  325WRX Points: 57Posts: 325 Greens
    I'm also from MN... Live up in Maple Grove... I'd love to see if we can't get an event or a monthly thing put together around here. Anyone interested? I mostly play out of Bunker Hills.
    Posted:

I'm also from MN... Live up in Maple Grove... I'd love to see if we can't get an event or a monthly thing put together around here. Anyone interested? I mostly play out of Bunker Hills.

Bunker is a nice spot, l like the 3 nine rotation. l'd probably be in if it's on a weekend.
    Posted:
    EpicSZ 9*  NVBlue70
    XR16Pro 14*  Revenge75
    980F 17*  VSProto80
    A12Pro 20*  RIP'Dvs80
    762 3/4-9  XP95
    SS385

Advertisement
    Tee time @ 12:16 tomorrow (Rochester, MN) image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

• Joe85Joe85 Members  3915WRX Points: 189Posts: 3,915 Titanium Tees

[url="http://twincitiesgolf.com/golf-courses-open-in-minnesota/"]http://twincitiesgol...n-in-minnesota/[/url]

Here's a short list. Not guaranteed, but a quick reference.

Thanks.

SPY ZINGER wrote:

I'm taking a day off next week to play! Going to pick the best one! We deserve this after last winter!!

Eh, after the '10-'11 Winter, maybe, but this one was actually quite mild.

ladahl wrote:

Tee time @ 12:16 tomorrow (Rochester, MN) image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

It's amazing how different it gets from our nothern-most part of the state, from the cities down to Rochester. The Cities really change the scene dramatically once you get either just north or just south of them. I have family on the Iron Range the difference is very dramatic from there to MSP.
    Posted:
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link

[/quote]

It's amazing how different it gets from our nothern-most part of the state, from the cities down to Rochester. The Cities really change the scene dramatically once you get either just north or just south of them. I have family on the Iron Range the difference is very dramatic from there to MSP.

[/quote]

Yeah my folks live up there too (where I'm from)... I know guys that are still driving on the lake and ice fishin.. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

Advertisement
  • whysguywhysguy mngolferguy Members  271WRX Points: 80Posts: 271 Greens
    Getting out for 1st round of year. Mississippi Dunes in cottage grove is opening with a 1pm shotgunn start and we're in.

forcast says 61 and sunny! (never mind the 20mph wind from the north that will make you put on mittens).

Flags in the ground.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.