Taylormade Project A

2»

Comments

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,587 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2017 #32
    Well Rick seems to like the new version. The old version spun too much off the driver for me but was awesome off the irons and around the green. Maybe I need to try the new version this spring.

[media=]
    Post edited by Unknown User on

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

TS2
    718 MB (5-PW)
    Select Newport 2
    Tour BXS

• Ace2000Ace2000 Members Posts: 483
    Yeah. I’d agree that the old one definitely spins lots off the driver but I don’t have any comment on the newest one.
  • McMooMcMoo Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I found one of these a few months ago and thought it performed very well. Didn’t seem to loose any wedge or iron spin and drives went straight and far. I like a little firmer feel so I won’t be changing to them but it’s a great ball for the price.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero - 9 degree, draw setting, 12g weight forward, Fujikura Pro Green 62 X
    3 wood: Callaway XR Pro 14 degree - Stock Project X 6.0
    3 hybrid: Callaway XR Pro 20 degree - Stock Project X 6.0
    4-pw: Bridgestone J15 DF - Project X PXI 6.0
    50, 55, 60 wedges: Mizuno T4
    Putter: Odyssey Works #1W
    Ball: Bridgestone B330
  • wjdpar1wjdpar1 Members Posts: 400 ✭✭
    The new version of the project A is much better than the old. The Srixon Q-Star Tour is a great ball too at that $30 price point. I've played both and think the project A has a better feel off the putter than the Srixon Tour. Also the "A" seems to have more green side spin IMO.

My question is -- when will the project A be discontinued.

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,304 ✭✭
    Shielsy dropped a review on it... Looks like they are getting a bit more popular.

I can't buy them because I have 9 dozen other balls I still need to lose.
  • RobNY22RobNY22 Members Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I’m in the minority here, but I prefer the Project A over the Q Star Tour. Feels softer and I get more bite with my irons and wedges with them. Feels nice off the putter as well. Think I’m gonna grab a few dozen of the B330-RXS on sale and give those a try
    PING G25 10.5°
    PING G25 4W/16.5°
    PING G25 3H/20°
    PING i200 4 - UW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 54ºSS, 58ºSS
    PING Karsten TR Anser 5 - Starshot Finish / Odyssey Milled RSX #7
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,471 ✭✭
    I never liked the project a in the past, too much driver spin. I got a dozen of the newer project a and they are great. I could certainly make this my go to ball.
  • JayGordJayGord Emmaus, PAMembers Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I've played around 130 rounds the past year and a lot of different balls.

My average score is 85.6

My average driver distance is 265 yards.

I played the project A's for the first time my last 2 rounds. I hit a 82 and a 75. right now they are my favorite. I felt they were very controllable off the driver, could shape my shots with the irons and great grab on the greens.

I've played the following balls;

ProV1

ProV1x

NXT Tour S

ChromeSoft

ChromeSoft x

Warbird

SuperHot

Volvik Vivid

E6

E7

330-rx

330-rxs

Q-Star

Z-Star

For some reason I just played the project As the best. Could it be I was swinging better them rounds? Sure could be.

I have a pack of Tour Preferred to try out yet also.
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭
    Picked up some yellow Project A (2016) on a deep discount and put it in play today. The ball performed well and the yellow really popped which I like a lot.

Not as bright as the Vice Pro lime but close. Not better than my 2017XV in performance but very solid performance throughout the bag.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭
    I'm torn between the A and the S right now, both 2018 balls. I keep waffling between the two and I have 3 boxes of each.
    Long Live Nike
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    Picked up a cheap dz on discount from academy. Previous year (not sure what year) ball. Actually really enjoyed it. Cover held up for entire round. Good spin and distance, felt nice off putter. Not bad for $20.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 60g
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3w 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20° w/ Kuro Kage 80g
    Mizuno MP-54 4i-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 56°/10 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 60°/6 w/ DG S400
    Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour golf balls
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,181 ✭✭

I'm torn between the A and the S right now, both 2018 balls. I keep waffling between the two and I have 3 boxes of each.
    I have always loved the A. Haven't played the new version, but want to. I split a box of the S with my boy and, man, that ball mashed like a marshmallow on the face of my driver. It was kind of cool feeling. Haven't played it enough to come to a verdict, though. The A flew under the radar and got no love for a long time while I was really enjoying playing that ball. I see it's getting noticed, Taylormade seemed to invest a bit in it, and the price has snuck up. Frankly, it's a great, great ball. I had a stint about a year ago when, for some reason, I was hitting some huge drives (normally I hit driver 200-260, but I hit a few in the fairway over 320) and the A was the ball I had in play on all of them.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    I just switched to the Project A balls coming off the Callaway Supersoft. The Supersoft are great in cold temps but really feel like marsh mellows off the club face. The project As are firmer and spin a lot more into greens. I found a TP5x and played it side by side and while the TP5x was a tad firmer feeling...it was the same distance off the tee and spun about the same into the greens. So I will keep playing the project A balls. Really like them so far.
  • tips09tips09 Members Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Yup been playing these balls for 2 years now and love them. I keep trying different balls (pro v, chromesoft, tp5) and keep going back to the project a.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9* Paderson VMT 870 S+
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z565 3 Iron Steelfiber I95 S
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Nike VR Forged Raw 50* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,248 ✭✭
    tips09 wrote:

Yup been playing these balls for 2 years now and love them. I keep trying different balls (pro v, chromesoft, tp5) and keep going back to the project a.

which do you like better? The new A or prior gen?
  • tips09tips09 Members Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

tips09 wrote:

which do you like better? The new A or prior gen?

Personally I like the new A slightly better only because I get a little less spin with the driver compared to the prior gen. Similar spin numbers with irons and wedges though. Both are very solid balls especially at their current price point. Just hoping the price doesn't start creeping up like the chromesoft has.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9* Paderson VMT 870 S+
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z565 3 Iron Steelfiber I95 S
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Nike VR Forged Raw 50* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • PhilBurgPhilBurg Members Posts: 75
    Has anyone used the newer version of Project a, I'm curious if it has less side spin off the driver, I'm looking for a new ball, Titleist NXT has been discontinued it was probably time for a new type of ball anyway, do you have any suggestions thank you.
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭
    PhilBurg wrote:

Has anyone used the newer version of Project a, I'm curious if it has less side spin off the driver, I'm looking for a new ball, Titleist NXT has been discontinued it was probably time for a new type of ball anyway, do you have any suggestions thank you.

in the other project a thread on here, the TM ball engineer specifically stated that the 2018 was designed to reduce driver spin.
    Long Live Nike