2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Official Aldila Black, Green, Copper Mamba Trackman Review Thread. Comparison to Tensei Pro Product.

TollBros

I figured I would start an official thread on the Tour modulous models, TX, of the Aldila Mamba line since I get a ton of questions every single day about them. I'm going to start this off with three data blocks from myself and two coworkers and expand on that with some reviews and thoughts of each product, as well as a few more data blocks as well. Like all of these types of threads it will be a review and data accumulation in progress that will take a little time to finsh, but I wanted to at least get up some data comparing them all so that it would answer some of the questions I get.

First off, let me give a quick comparison to Tensei Pro or Kuro Kage product for those of you who fit into this segment of shaft. This will at least give you some basis to compare what you may already know. Understand also that this is the Tour high modulous TX version of the Mamba line, so we are comparing to Tensei PRO product and Dual Core XT.

Black Mamba is basically a slightly lower launching shaft than Kuro Kage Dual Core XT with very similar spin rates. It is also a shade tighter feeling, so the guys who liked the feel of the original XT with it's crispness a bit more than Dual Core XT, but want the same insanely low spin properties should look here. Flat hitting, very very low spin, responsive, yet crisp feel.

Green Mamba is a shaft that a LOT of players should really love. It's got somewhat of a blueboard type smoothness like Tensei Pro Blue, but it has a bit lower spin characteristics. It's somewhat like a slightly lower spinning Tensei Pro Blue. It is phenominal in fairway woods and equally as good in a driver for the guy who isn't looking for ultra low spin but still doesn't want a soft tip shaft. It's a very nice sort of hybridized shaft that I think is easily the one that fits the widest demo.

Copperhead in TX flex feels and performs remarkably like the famed Tensei Pro Orange V2. It is high launch, pretty low spin, super smooth feeling, and very easy to work around the golf course. It can be turned over and isn't nearly as anti left as Pro Orange. It is really similar to the more user friendly Pro Orange V2. This is definitely not a shaft to be afraid of if you aren't super aggressive. We have guys at 105 playing untipped TX and talking about how smooth it is.

----------------------------------

JT

Black Mamba -

Definitely a cool name. I liked it just hearing the name I will admit. The performance of this shaft was very good and the feel is not too bad either. It's kind of different feeling shaft in that it feels stiff when swung too smoothly but totally smooth and controlled with just the slightest bit of tempo or ramp up. It loads nicely, feels stable and performance is excellent. Nothing about it particularly stood out other than consistent repeated excellent performance. I hit it 22 times, 20 of which we recorded as keepers, handed it back and said, "that's a damn good golf shaft". This is one I would like to spend a bit more time with and see how it performs on the course. For the sake of fun facts, when we went long drive on these after the test, I hit my second longest drive of the fun session with this shaft. I'll definitely be giving it more time. Very much a Kuro Kage Dual Core XT type shaft.

Green Mamba -

Very much a Tensei Pro Blue type shaft but a little more tip stability. This would be a great fit for the guy who likes the feel of a Blueboard type shaft but wants less spin. It's outstanding in a fairway wood, but also very good in the driver for the guy who wants low spin without super low trajectory, but also doesn't need a total spin killer like KKDC XT or Black Mamba. This is the one of the three that will fit the widest variety of player and give the smoothest overall feel.

Copperhead -

Really similar to the Green, with counter weight. Just a shade higher launch maybe, and very good ball speeds. I expected it to be like Tensei Pro Orange but it's not quite like that. It's much easier to draw and it is not nearly as stiff in the tip, and consequently not as low spin. Basically, the TX Tour modulous version is VERY much like a Tensei Orange V2. They are pretty much the exact type of shaft, fitting the exact player.

----------------------------------

Rickey Z.

Black Mamba -

Wow is all I can say. This shaft is the bees knees. The balance is similar to my dc xt and it will stand up to the gas pedal being mashed. I hit nothing but dead straight low spin rockets with this shaft and I really felt like I could rip it. The ball speeds are great and so is spin and trajectory. I may switch it over to this shaft if it wins the head to head against the dc xt. This shaft rocks.

Green Mamba -

This shaft spins a bit much for my tempo and release. I've had a chance to try it in a 3 wood and it's really nice off the deck in the fairway. A very nice compliment to the Black in the driver. It just didn't work out great in the driver for me.

Copperhead-

Really similar shaft overall to the Green except counterbalanced so I did swing it a bit faster and had a bit more ball speed, but launch and spin were near identical. I'd say both feel pretty smooth. I did find this one the easiest of the three to turn over and work the draw. It's kind of like a combo of Tensei Pro Orange and Tensei Pro Blue in terms of spin and launch. I could see this fitting a lot of different players.

-------------------------------------

Emillio V.

Black Mamba -

I don't understand this shaft at all. It feels like it should not work. Stiff feeling, not the best feel on the load up, but it was perfect for me in launch and spin. I kept thinking, no good when I would swing it, but the ball just goes and launch is good with very low spin. I love the performance, do not love the feel. Strange to see numbers so good with a feeling that lacked confidence. I think I can get used to it if it does the same on the course.

Green Mamba -

Very good shaft, just maybe a little high on spin for the high launch. I did get to hit the copper as well, which is not in the data and I like those results a bit better. Green is a little firm, but not so much that it disrupts my swing. I like this shaft but it's not as good as the copper or black. The feel is a little firm, which I can get used to, but the numbers are not as good.

Copperhead-

A little higher launch and a little lower spin than the Green for me. It just feels good, easy to work both ways, very smooth feeling. Reminds me very much of Tensei Orange V2 in the ball flight and spin. Maybe just a touch more firm, but I am very sensitive to these things. I know Mitsubishi makes no more V2, so this is the closest thing I have hit to the unicorn. The X flex we had felt soft and loose but the Tour TX high count version is much more stable and controlled. V2 orange is the first thing that flashed to my mind.

• Thanks 1

Really enjoying my black mamba driving has improved big time since switching to it.

We've had a LOT players switching into it. Quite a few guys going Green Mamba 60tx in driver and 70tx in 3 woods as well. I'd say at this point black is clearly the most popular. Very Kuro Kàge Dual Core XT type shaft. Green Mamba is sort of like a cross between Tensei Pro Blue and Tensei Pro White. Tighter feeling in the handle than white and somewhere in between the two in terms of spin. It's like the shaft for guys who don't need mega low spin and launch but still want something that keeps the spin lower than a blueboard/757 type shaft.

Yeah I would to see videos of some of the testers swings. Would be nice for seeing who swings most like oneself.

The new aldila really have my attention. Never really had a Aldila shaft I didn't like.

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

Should anyone have any questions -- i'm here as well. as you guys know, i've hit both the black and copper in 70TX and i'm currently trying to get my hands on the green in 70TX to put it through it's paces.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Should anyone have any questions -- i'm here as well. as you guys know, i've hit both the black and copper in 70TX and i'm currently trying to get my hands on the green in 70TX to put it through it's paces.

Thanks Gio. I just sent 14 Black and Green Mamba driver shafts out in the last 2 days, so hopefully some of those guys and the rest will chime in once they've had a chance to put them through the paces as well.

Which would be most similar to the Matrix Black Tie?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I play the Copper 60TX and had a chance to try a friend's Green 70TX with a Callaway SZ and also BBA (much more in line with my spin performance) - really nice feel and launch/spin. Both the counterbalanced nature of the Copper and the standard weighting of the Green were really solid, and the materials are top notch, without question. Without looking at numbers, I agree that the Copper launches a little higher and definitely spins a little less. Tom (TCann32) hit one with my 915/Copper and launched a high, flat bomb.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I play the Copper 60TX and had a chance to try a friend's Green 70TX with a Callaway SZ and also BBA (much more in line with my spin performance) - really nice feel and launch/spin. Both the counterbalanced nature of the Copper and the standard weighting of the Green were really solid, and the materials are top notch, without question. Without looking at numbers, I agree that the Copper launches a little higher and definitely spins a little less. Tom (TCann32) hit one with my 915/Copper and launched a high, flat bomb.

So far so good with all the feedback I've gotten. I have not seen a single one we have supplied up for sale in the secondary market, which is a good sign for sure. A lot of guys are playing Black in the driver and Green in the 3 wood. We even have a few guys playing Black/Black or Green/Green and I've honestly heard nothing but really good reviews so far. Hopefully the honeymoon period continues. :good:

Do u guys have the specs on these 3 shafts in stiff 50, 60, 70 gram, only showing the copper on aldilas website, no weight or torque listed for it. Thanks.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Do u guys have the specs on these 3 shafts in stiff 50, 60, 70 gram, only showing the copper on aldilas website, no weight or torque listed for it. Thanks.

I don't have specs on the stock stuff, sorry. We only tested and carry the tour modulous TX flexes, so that's all I have information on. Also, Green and black are Tour only at this point.

Do you think the Copper 70TX would be too much for a 105-106 swing speed? I swing a 6.5 HZRDUS now and I think that shaft might just be a little too much for me. I swing a buddy's 6.0 HZRDUS yellow and sometimes find it a little too soft.

i don't think it would be at all. the 70TX to me felt responsive enough to swing easier (i'm at 115-117) -- and reacted just the same.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

That POV3 is crazy in ballspeed numbers. I tried a POV2 and HATED it is the V3 that much different?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Is there a difference in the 70TX mentioned and tested in this thread vs the one Ping is selling in the G400 as an upcharge? Sometimes these tour vs wide release shafts have like the exact same name but are different

yes. the TX versions of these shafts are TOUR ONLY --- and are not the ones being used in the G400 lineup/shaft upgrades.

That POV3 is crazy in ballspeed numbers. I tried a POV2 and HATED it is the V3 that much different?

you and me both --

i heard the v3 is quite a different animal - in better ways.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

JT, I've seen you mention that you have the TX and specify that they are "tour modulous." Are you just saying that these are tour models, or are you saying that these models have a slightly different material composition than the non tour models?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

JT, I've seen you mention that you have the TX and specify that they are "tour modulous." Are you just saying that these are tour models, or are you saying that these models have a slightly different material composition than the non tour models?

the TX versions are tour only iterations of the shaft which use slightly higher quality materials and have a bit tighter tolerances to them. they also include higher modulus carbon -- not sure which variation tho (ie 40T, etc)

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Damn TX sounds $$$

I wonder if the X is the same profile as a TX with the lesser carbon and such?

should be similar profile, just might a touch firmer in feedback.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Is there a difference in the 70TX mentioned and tested in this thread vs the one Ping is selling in the G400 as an upcharge? Sometimes these tour vs wide release shafts have like the exact same name but are different

It's like the difference between silver Tini and XT in the dual core. 95% of people are better off with the softer tipped looser profile, but better players or guys who want spin reduction will love the TX. As for your speed, you can handle it but getting the tipping and swingweight right is key. If you can handle a hzrdus in 6.5 you'll be fine.

It really is. The V2 is just like the Copperhead really which is smooth and high launch. The Pro Orange is much more tip stiff and stable for a big swing. It's very much too low spin and launch for a lot of players.

the TX versions are tour only iterations of the shaft which use slightly higher quality materials and have a bit tighter tolerances to them. they also include higher modulus carbon -- not sure which variation tho (ie 40T, etc)

Right. Sort of like the M series for BMW or AMG for Mercedes. A hopped up higher quality version of the same base.

It really is. The V2 is just like the Copperhead really which is smooth and high launch. The Pro Orange is much more tip stiff and stable for a big swing. It's very much too low spin and launch for a lot of players.

Gotcha. The V2 was off the charts bad for me I'm an agressive transition type player that pairs well with KK XT, Agera, Proforce V2 type profile. Interested to see if the PO V3 is adopted on tour. Is the V3 going to be the retail release?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Gotcha. The V2 was off the charts bad for me I'm an agressive transition type player that pairs well with KK XT, Agera, Proforce V2 type profile. Interested to see if the PO V3 is adopted on tour. Is the V3 going to be the retail release?

Yep, the V3 will be the retail release.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5