Mizuno MP25 still in play?

 Shipwreck ·  
ShipwreckShipwreck Members  4004WRX Points: 322Handicap: 6.2Posts: 4,004 Titanium Tees
Joined:  in Equipment #1
Over the vast majority of my golfing life (going on 15 years now) I have played Mizuno. Off the top of my head I'm counting close to 10 different Mizuno sets I've had and the only ones I ever hated were the MP67s. About a year ago I moved to a set of Scratch irons, which were beautiful and amazing, but recently picked up a set of MP25s at a killer price that I couldn't pass up. I haven't had a chance to play them yet (on vacation) but I know they are going in the bag.



It's been a few amazing years for Mizuno and I don't see that letting up anytime soon. With all of the clubs they have put out since the 25s, is anyone still playing them and and if not, what made you change? What info could you put into the 25s for someone who's never hit them?
Posted:

Bag as of 14MAY2019
Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

1

Comments

  • HubijerkHubijerk Members  837WRX Points: 139Posts: 837 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #2
    launched too high, spun too much, turf interaction was poor. Amazing numbers on the monitors, in real world conditions not so much. IMHO worst players iron Mizuno ever made. I tried to like them but ulimately swapped out for Srixons and am way happier.
    Posted:
    You can't sneak the cheese by a rat
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members  4004WRX Points: 322Handicap: 6.2Posts: 4,004 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3
    Hubijerk wrote:


    launched too high, spun too much, turf interaction was poor. Amazing numbers on the monitors, in real world conditions not so much. IMHO worst players iron Mizuno ever made. I tried to like them but ulimately swapped out for Srixons and am way happier.




    What shafts did you have in them?
    Posted:

    Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

  • marshvegasmarshvegas Banned  1290WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,290 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4
    I still have my set. Hit some good shots with them today. I don't know if I like the KBS Tour regular I put into them though?



    I may try another shaft in there this week...



    I don't think they launch too high or spin too much. The turf interaction with the thinner sole is perfect.
    Posted:
  • HubijerkHubijerk Members  837WRX Points: 139Posts: 837 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #5
    Shipwreck wrote:

    Hubijerk wrote:


    launched too high, spun too much, turf interaction was poor. Amazing numbers on the monitors, in real world conditions not so much. IMHO worst players iron Mizuno ever made. I tried to like them but ulimately swapped out for Srixons and am way happier.




    What shafts did you have in them?


    C-Tapers 130x



    Don't take my word for it.. look what a poor professional response they had and how quickly Mizuno dumped em.
    Posted:
    You can't sneak the cheese by a rat
  • mortimermortimer Members  351WRX Points: 71Handicap: 2Posts: 351 Greens
    Joined:  #6
    Playing a combo (see my signature). Great irons overall. Some more forgiveness than MP5s but not enough in my opinion to compensate for the lost of feel compared to the latter. If I went back I would go all MP5s, awesome irons and the most forgiving blades/musclebacks I've ever played.



    Having said the above I hope you really like them
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash 9 Tensei Blue AV series 65
    Titleist 917F2 15 EvenFlow Blue 75
    Titleist 818H1 19 Rogue Max 85
    Titleist AP3 4i Oban CT 115
    Mizuno MP25 5-6i / MP5 7-PW KBS Tour
    Cleveland CBX2 50 / 588RTX2.0 Precision Forged 56 
    Vokey SM7 60 M Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • mclaughlin1342mclaughlin1342 ClubWRX  192WRX Points: 58Posts: 192 Fairways
    Joined:  #7
    Still playing a set of mp-33's. I got them about 2 years ago in mint condition for $99, best feeling irons I've hit.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • grochol17grochol17 Members  1291WRX Points: 108Posts: 1,291 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8
    If you read over the posts about MP 25s on various threads on WRX, you'll see that some people get really angry about them. I don't know why some people are so pissed off at Mizuno for designing an iron in a certain way, but people are. The MP 25s are a different design from the 5s, 33s, 29s, etc, so they are going to feel and play differently than those irons. For someone that wants to try them, I say hit them and if you play well with them, keep on hitting them regardless of what others say. I play the 4 and 5 iron because I wanted a bit more forgiveness in my longer irons. I did not go full 25s because I launch the ball pretty high and the 5s help me keep the ball down a bit, especially in the shorter irons.



    As for the person saying "Mizuno dumped them quickly" as an indication that they weren't any good, the 25s, like all Mizuno irons (at least recently), were on a two year product cycle... they were released in late summer / early fall 2015 and were replaced 2 years later.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, Speeder VC 7.2 Tour Spec X
    Titleist 915 Fd, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
     Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV
  • Beast10Beast10 Members  139WRX Points: 0Handicap: 15Posts: 139
    Joined:  #9
    I play them, they feel good, obviously not as soft as others but they do perform, are pretty forgiving, look good. Probably switching to the jpx900 tour in a few months just because I always switch things to newer stuff
    Posted:
  • HubijerkHubijerk Members  837WRX Points: 139Posts: 837 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10
    grochol17 wrote:


    If you read over the posts about MP 25s on various threads on WRX, you'll see that some people get really angry about them. I don't know why some people are so pissed off at Mizuno for designing an iron in a certain way, but people are. The MP 25s are a different design from the 5s, 33s, 29s, etc, so they are going to feel and play differently than those irons. For someone that wants to try them, I say hit them and if you play well with them, keep on hitting them regardless of what others say. I play the 4 and 5 iron because I wanted a bit more forgiveness in my longer irons. I did not go full 25s because I launch the ball pretty high and the 5s help me keep the ball down a bit, especially in the shorter irons.



    As for the person saying "Mizuno dumped them quickly" as an indication that they weren't any good, the 25s, like all Mizuno irons (at least recently), were on a two year product cycle... they were released in late summer / early fall 2015 and were replaced 2 years later.




    They dumped that design quickly...Look at what replaced them. I stand by my statements. The irons never deserved the MP badge. I'll agree with you that the long irons were very easy to hit, but the design made for poor pw-6 iron for those who would be looking for something more reminiscent of the MP line.



    I'm not angry, but I do feel that the design would have been better served in an offering like Titleists T-MB's to use at the top of sets or for those who really need help launching the ball and generating spin.



    Like I said earlier, you will have those that like them, but the consensus is, and overwhelmingly so, even among Mizzy reps, it was a flop. So much so that I have a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth and will probably be shying away from mizzy in the near future, and I've had Mizzy's in the bag since the 33's.
    Posted:
    You can't sneak the cheese by a rat
  • HubijerkHubijerk Members  837WRX Points: 139Posts: 837 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #11
    Beast10 wrote:


    I play them, they feel good, obviously not as soft as others but they do perform, are pretty forgiving, look good. Probably switching to the jpx900 tour in a few months just because I always switch things to newer stuff




    I found the 900 Tours to be very unforgiving, I'd hit them side by side with the mp-18's if I were you and maybe consider a combo set with the MP-18sc.. I was getting better numbers and flight with the MP-5's with no noticeable difference in forgiveness over the JPX. Don't get me wrong they are playable, but to me they demand the precision of a blade without the benefits.
    Posted:
    You can't sneak the cheese by a rat
  • LleftyLlefty Members  475WRX Points: 57Posts: 475 Greens
    Joined:  #12
    Still gaming my set. 4-PW, KBS Tour V 110 Stiff. I go back and forth between the 25s and a set of 714 AP2s. I'm surprised that the 25s are nearly as forgiving as the AP2s. Not much difference. The AP2s are a little more "muted" on mishits. The 25s feel better at impact IMO. The 25s head shape and turf interaction are perfect for me. The thinner clubfaces do add distance. I've owned or demoed every lefty Mizzy since the MP52s. The 25s are not as "pure" Mizuno as the 68s,but much better than the 54s ,59s,or 850F.

    Its a compromise iron., almost forgiving as the MP 53, but longer. It appears to have less offset also.

    i think you will like the irons.
    Posted:
    Ping G20,
    TEE 3 Wood  Aeroburner 16.5 HL
    TEE 5 Wood/TM TP rescue/TEE 3Hybrid
    Mizuno Hot Metal 4-GW  Bridgestone J15 CB 3-PW  Ping ie1 4-PW
    Mizuno MP T10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Scotty Cameron
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gjunkygjunky SoCalMembers  229WRX Points: 93Handicap: 6Posts: 229 Fairways
    Joined:  #13
    Have been playing the 25's for six months or so and couldnt be happier. Played 53's, 64's and 15's prior and I think these stand up to any of those sets in feel and performance. Not the 64 soft feel/sound but still really good with a bit more forgivness. Still surprises me how forgiving these can be for the size/profile of the head.
    Posted:
  • gjunkygjunky SoCalMembers  229WRX Points: 93Handicap: 6Posts: 229 Fairways
    Joined:  #14
    Hubijerk wrote:

    grochol17 wrote:


    If you read over the posts about MP 25s on various threads on WRX, you'll see that some people get really angry about them. I don't know why some people are so pissed off at Mizuno for designing an iron in a certain way, but people are. The MP 25s are a different design from the 5s, 33s, 29s, etc, so they are going to feel and play differently than those irons. For someone that wants to try them, I say hit them and if you play well with them, keep on hitting them regardless of what others say. I play the 4 and 5 iron because I wanted a bit more forgiveness in my longer irons. I did not go full 25s because I launch the ball pretty high and the 5s help me keep the ball down a bit, especially in the shorter irons.



    As for the person saying "Mizuno dumped them quickly" as an indication that they weren't any good, the 25s, like all Mizuno irons (at least recently), were on a two year product cycle... they were released in late summer / early fall 2015 and were replaced 2 years later.




    They dumped that design quickly...Look at what replaced them. I stand by my statements. The irons never deserved the MP badge. I'll agree with you that the long irons were very easy to hit, but the design made for poor pw-6 iron for those who would be looking for something more reminiscent of the MP line.



    I'm not angry, but I do feel that the design would have been better served in an offering like Titleists T-MB's to use at the top of sets or for those who really need help launching the ball and generating spin.



    Like I said earlier, you will have those that like them, but the consensus is, and overwhelmingly so, even among Mizzy reps, it was a flop. So much so that I have a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth and will probably be shying away from mizzy in the near future, and I've had Mizzy's in the bag since the 33's.




    Not sure I agree with this. The 7-p are not hollow cavity back like the 6 and up. They are solid one piece and have the same diamond muscle back as the highly regarded mp 64's. Very consistent and traditional yardages and flight from my experience. The 6 and up definitely have more of that H4/H5 hollow sound/feel but that was the design of the set, to be its own combo set. I feel a lot of people combo Mizzy irons with bladey short irons like MP5's to a more forgiving longer irons like the H5's and this set was made for that reason and works for me.
    Posted:
  • blkjazzblkjazz Members  339WRX Points: 117Posts: 339 Greens
    Joined:  #15
    Yep. Still playing my 25s and liking them more than when I bought them. I will likely get some variety of MP 18s later this year just because but the MP 25s are fine irons. My initial issues had more to do with my transition to a lightweight graphite shaft than the irons. They are very forgiving IMO.

    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5 deg.
    Titleist 917F 16.5 deg.
    Titleist 917F 21 deg.
    Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW
    Mizuno MP 32 PW 47 deg.
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52 deg.
    Titleist Vokey SM7 58 deg.
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • tcutshaw1723tcutshaw1723 ClubWRX  116WRX Points: 51Handicap: 6Posts: 116 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #16
    I love mine!!! Just wanted to put in my opinion 2 years after the last thread post, hahahaha
    Posted:
    LH Taylormade M5 Aldila ATX Tour Green Proto 60 tx
    LH Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 3+  Kuro Kage XD x stiff tipped 1/2 in
    LH PXG 0317x 19 3h project x hzrdus black handcrafted 6.5
    LH Miura CB no paintfill 4-PW project x catalyst 6.5
    LH 50, vokey sm7 bronze hand hammered, stamped and parts refinished to raw
    LH Cobra TrustyRusty 53 hand hammered, stamped and paintfilled
    LH Taylormade HiToe 58 removed some finish to raw, stamped and paintfilled
    LH Scotty Cameron Phantom x 7 35 in.   on the bench: Handmade Cushman Custom, Edel custom 642 carbon
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Maple Leaf
    Cru desinged custom headcovers
    Custom Ping Hoofer 14
  • ShooterMcDabbinShooterMcDabbin LongmontMembers  37WRX Points: 29Handicap: 4.7Posts: 37 Bunkers
    Joined:  #17
    I've been playing 25s with DG120 shafts for 3 seasons now (7.1 hdcp), but after my CC fitting this past weekend, I will be swapping them with CF19 Apex.
    Posted:

    PXG 0811x 9° w/ Oban Devotion 6
    Callaway Big Bertha 3h 18° w/ Oban Devotion 8
    Callaway CF19 Apex Smoke 4-P w/ Black C-Taper Lite 110
    Titleist SM6 50/54/58 w/ Dynamic Gold S
    Tommy Armour TA3

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • cane700cane700 Members  2030WRX Points: 139Posts: 2,030 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18
    I'm playing my best golf ever with my 25's. They feel fine and yardages are consistent. They look compact for all the help they give you.
    Posted:
  • Tommy56Tommy56 Members  506WRX Points: 109Handicap: 5Posts: 506 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #19
    Tried the MP-25s when they were first released. Not as sleek as other MPs and I didn't particularly care for the feel or turf interaction. One of the more polarizing clubs Mizuno has introduced, but some people love them. As they say ... different strokes ...
    Posted:
    Minimalist:  917D2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / SM7 48, 54 / Futura 5.5M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.