Great clip showing left arm off chest in downswing

2»

Comments

• glkglk send it in jerome Members Posts: 3,288 ✭✭
    I've been working on this combo along with arm shallowing since early June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykiohVeKQys&t=6s
  •  Dave D Dave D Members Posts: 3,999 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:

Golf nerd wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Because you have too much tilt too soon. Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down. If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Does this what Dana shows around 0:35 seconds come close to what you are proposing, Dan?

[media=]

Yes

Thanks Dan
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • Golf nerdGolf nerd Members Posts: 942
    Also related to that topic.

• dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    Could/Would doing this poorly cause heel strikes?
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,179 ✭✭
    edited Sep 8, 2017 #36
    dg_1983 wrote:

Could/Would doing this poorly cause heel strikes?

For sure. Club kicks out early. Like many things in tech swing, what logic dictates is the opposite of what really happens.

If your left arm releases off the chest properly, club will actually kick out later.

• dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    I'm super glad you know the swing Monte!

It's a complicated beast with alot of cause and effect!

I worked on this intention tonight and noticed a definite shift of my ball strike away from the heel.

Just to sort out that driver now.
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Sponsors Posts: 18,179 ✭✭
    dg_1983 wrote:

I'm super glad you know the swing Monte!

It's a complicated beast with alot of cause and effect!

I worked on this intention tonight and noticed a definite shift of my ball strike away from the heel.

Just to sort out that driver now.

Well done.
  • PJ1120PJ1120 Posts: 686 ✭✭
    If you release the left arm off the chest but go into secondary tilt too soon it's all for naught right? It's my #1 problem IMO.....the angles release early and I hit it fat.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,590 ✭✭
    PJ1120 wrote:

If you release the left arm off the chest but go into secondary tilt too soon it's all for naught right? It's my #1 problem IMO.....the angles release early and I hit it fat.

You can't release left arm from chest too early and tilt too soon, those are opposites. If you tilt too soon your left arm will be across chest and right arm vey bent forcing you to dump wrist angles to reach the ball (David Tom's).
    Thanks Dan. So keep the left shoulder low until P6 and sternum is ahead of the ball and then add secondary tilt while extending (kicking the belt up)?
    PJ1120 wrote:

Thanks Dan. So keep the left shoulder low until P6 and sternum is ahead of the ball and then add secondary tilt while extending (kicking the belt up)?

Sternum won't be ahead of the ball unless ball is way back but rest is correct
    I though I remembered McNary telling me years ago that the sternum had to be in front of the ball at impact with iron shots. Is that a S&T thing?
    PJ1120 wrote:

I though I remembered McNary telling me years ago that the sternum had to be in front of the ball at impact with iron shots. Is that a S&T thing?

You'd have to ask him. It CAN be in front of the ball but it certainly doesn't HAVE to be.
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,074 ✭✭
    I think some instructors use that as a feel to hit down with an iron , it's in Sean foleys DVD and I went to an instructor that taught that feel too. Not really something I use but McNealy was prob taught that as a feel
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,103 ✭✭
    Good thread.

Several weeks ago I inadvertently, stumbled across this feel (keep left shoulder low and move forward with it) to hit more down on short irons and minimize my thin strikes (most common miss) . Could groove it for a bit but then would lose it again. The thoughts here clarify the 'how & why' it works. High fiber for my junk food swing.
    iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

I really enjoy this gentleman's posts on IG as well as his YouTube channel. He's a must follow in my opinion.

Completely agree, has some great content.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Because you have too much tilt too soon. Left side moving down and forward allows arms to get wider coming down. If you tilt early your shoulders speed up relative to arm and the angle gets smaller

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

I really enjoy this gentleman's posts on IG as well as his YouTube channel. He's a must follow in my opinion.

The thing I find hard with this move, as Dan (iteach) has said I need more of it in the past and I'm sure I still do, is how to get this move whilst still having a good downswing pivot. When I focus on the arms doing this move I then have very little turn through the ball

Dan in regards to left side moving down and forward would this also mean the shoulders stay closed for longer in the downswing?

Kinda. What happens is the arms would be wider sooner so the shoulders would look closed longer. In reality pivot is in the same place but arms are further along
    iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

Kinda. What happens is the arms would be wider sooner so the shoulders would look closed longer. In reality pivot is in the same place but arms are further along

Thanks. So in simplistic terms i keep my right arm folded for too long and tilt as a reaction to hit the ball. If I extend my right arm sooner from the top and get it further from my right shoulder quicker hopefully my body would react and I'd tilt less?

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

Thanks. So in simplistic terms i keep my right arm folded for too long and tilt as a reaction to hit the ball. If I extend my right arm sooner from the top and get it further from my right shoulder quicker hopefully my body would react and I'd tilt less?

Correct. I prefer to focus on left side bend to get arms wider but you can focus on arms wider as well to incentivize the left side bend
    edited Sep 14, 2017 #51
    iteachgolf wrote:

Correct.  I prefer to focus on left side bend to get arms wider but you can focus on arms wider as well to incentivize the left side bend

So a transition move feel of maintaining left side bend as right arm straightens and moves away from right shoulder

Thanks Dan

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Follow up video to the original by Shaun Webb

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZBm6tFBaQY/?taken-by=shaunwebbgolf

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    This was a really good thread. I must've missed it originally but there is some gold in here so i'll bump it for others
    Titleist TS3 8.5* ............................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Titleist TS2 15.75* .......................Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.5" D4
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D2
    Titleist 712U 4 iron ....................C-taper S+ 125 D2
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-P .............PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
    SM6 50.12F ...................................PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D5
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.10 .........................Tour Issue Onyx S400 35.5" D6
    Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Mini Versa BWB Plumbers Neck WHP insert
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• tinman143tinman143 Members Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited Aug 19, 2018 #54
    This was a really good thread. I must've missed it originally but there is some gold in here so i'll bump it for others

Woke up around 3:30am and couldnt fall back asleep. Decided to google left arm off chest and found this thread. I suffer from WAY too much early tilt and the Dana vid & Dan explanation of lowering the lead shoulder to allow the arms to widen speaks to me. Cant wait for sunlight to come! Gold indeed.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file