2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Average Age of Junior Playing Adult Irons

_conejunkie

What is the average age of a junior before they can comfortably play with an adult iron set?

I have 2 sets of irons that I'm debating on offing, one is a super game improving set, the other is a forged game improving iron set, both released in 2008.

My younger junior is left handed like me which makes it easy to hand down my clubs, whereas my other older junior is right handed.

so aside from my first question above, at what age would a set of irons be "out-dated" 2-3 years or more?

Thanks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how big they are and when they have their growth spurt but would expect somewhere in the 13 to 17 range but, IMO, improperly fitting clubs may influence how a junior's swing develops.

Generally, I think there has been less innovation with irons than other parts of the game, so less likely that your 2008 are completely out-dated if they are a good fit for the player.

Most kids 13-17. I have seen kids as young as 11 that are bigger. Personally, I would shy away from super game improvement irons. Only a limited selection of game improvement irons that I would recommend for a good junior.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

thanks for the replies.

so by the age ranges it seems we'd have to wait 5-7 years to even consider using the irons (assuming they will work for my junior); I too am all for using properly fitted clubs.

So it looks like by the time comes my mizuno mx-100 and mx-200 iron sets will be 14-16 years old... a lot of technology can change by then... don't you think?

thanks for the replies.

so by the age ranges it seems we'd have to wait 5-7 years to even consider using the irons (assuming they will work for my junior); I too am all for using properly fitted clubs.

So it looks like by the time comes my mizuno mx-100 and mx-200 iron sets will be 14-16 years old... a lot of technology can change by then... don't you think?

I am not an expert, and my son is a better player. I personally think that if the kid has been playing as long as yours will when he can swing adult clubs, that you would want to stay away from those anyway. I think it is better to learn with a players club, not a game improvement club. My kids first set of adult clubs are Wilson FG Tour V6 Forged Irons. He got them a couple of months before he turned 12.

I am seeing 9 and 10 year old girls like Avery Zweig from Short Game using what looks like adult irons ie: PXG irons. I am I seeing things?

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

I am seeing 9 and 10 year old girls like Avery Zweig from Short Game using what looks like adult irons ie: PXG irons. I am I seeing things?

They have the swing speed. They are putting senior flex graphite shafts in those irons. Maybe even a women's flex.

Girls tend to have their growth spurt and get closer to adult size a bit younger than guys. If one is talking about adult women's clubs (which tend to be shorter and more flexible than Men's clubs), my age range would go down a bit.

If the OP's kids are still single digit ages, I would think you are better off selling your old clubs and investing the money rather than wait until they might fit your kids.

• 10 months later...

Most kids 13-17. I have seen kids as young as 11 that are bigger. Personally, I would shy away from super game improvement irons. Only a limited selection of game improvement irons that I would recommend for a good junior.

HH,

What is the downside to playing SGI or GI irons for juniors?

Where would US Kids or Flynn fit in as far as these ratings go?

HH,

I believe the theory is to have juniors learn to hit more of a players iron (MPF rating "Conventional") than an SGI (or GI) so that they learn what it takes to hit the ball dead center. By doing this, they learn what an offcenter hit feel like. Of course, these MPF ratings are just a number, but at least they are a guide. Also, forged is generally considered to give back better feel. If I were looking at adult irons right now, I'd be looking at the Ben Hogan PTX (no MPF rating yet), Cobra Forged Tour (MPF 557) or Cobra Fly-Z+ (MPF 683) irons on the used market.

I'm not sure where USKG irons fit, but given they are cavity back and cast they likely are in the upper end of the GI and into the SGI area on MPF ratings.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

My daughter is getting ready to turn 11 in another month and she is average size for her age. I had the option of going with another set of junior clubs or getting adult irons. I went the adult route and got her the Cobra F8 irons with the recoil shafts in a ladies flex. We cut them down to her specs and she is doing fine with them so far. Going to be an adjustment process. I think she will be fine with the new ladies irons but I think that I could have gotten her a new set of Flynn irons and been ok as well.

Cobra Forged Tour are great. My son plays the AMP Forged, same iron, and he loves them. They really forced him to dial in his swing as the launch with the USK was just too easy. You need to put a good swing on these to get the launch, distance, and stopping power and that has made him much more aware.

My daughter is getting ready to turn 11 in another month and she is average size for her age. I had the option of going with another set of junior clubs or getting adult irons. I went the adult route and got her the Cobra F8 irons with the recoil shafts in a ladies flex. We cut them down to her specs and she is doing fine with them so far. Going to be an adjustment process. I think she will be fine with the new ladies irons but I think that I could have gotten her a new set of Flynn irons and been ok as well.

The Amp Forged and F8 are 263grams and 260 grams respectively.

My almost 11 year old son is on the skinny side so I'm looking for something very light.

Taylormade M2s and the Ping G25/30s seems to be the lightest option, both coming in at 252grams.

Still debating until flynn website comes back up.

Cobra Forged Tour are great. My son plays the AMP Forged, same iron, and he loves them. They really forced him to dial in his swing as the launch with the USK was just too easy. You need to put a good swing on these to get the launch, distance, and stopping power and that has made him much more aware.

My almost 11 year old son is on the skinny side so I'm looking for something very light.

Taylormade M2s and the Ping G25/30s seems to be the lightest option, both coming in at 252grams.

Just use regular weight grips. We used the stock A.C.E. REL grips which are about 25g heavier than the popular Dri Tac blue Jr grips.

Just use regular weight grips. We used the stock A.C.E. REL grips which are about 25g heavier than the popular Dri Tac blue Jr grips.

Yes that may work, but then that introduces yet another problem. :-)

Yes that may work, but then that introduces yet another problem. :-)

How tall is your boy? Driver swing speed?

If he is in the 51"-53" or the 54"-57" range for height and his driver swing speed is in the range, I'd stick with the Tour Series. Here are the specs on the Tour Series from 2014 (doesn't include the specs on the newer Tour Series 3 - TS3).

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf

https://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/2016-uskg-swing-speed-guide-final.pdf

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

He's currently on Flynn 54s looking for 57s, and swinging at 70Mph.

He's too used to the Flynns to start using US Kids(Too flexy according to him).

Since Flynn website is down, I'm just toying around the idea of maybe switching to adult, knowing that it's one step too early.

Everyone loves a good arms race, right? :drinks:

The daughter of a good friend of mine is only 14 years old But already 1m 80 cm , she already plays ladies shafts .. as do Some of her age Who Are smaller . ( she and the other juniors of her category in our club Are already betWeen 4-8 Hcp , she is 3.2 , national team

Member.

If you like I can get more info via our junior captain , i play a round with hem every two weeks ..

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Since Flynn website is down, I'm just toying around the idea of maybe switching to adult, knowing that it's one step too early.

Not sure which Flynn series he is in, but my daughter just went from Flynn 2 to TS 57”, and I feel the USK shaft is firmer. Alternatively, he could try steel.

Not sure which Flynn series he is in, but my daughter just went from Flynn 2 to TS 57", and I feel the USK shaft is firmer. Alternatively, he could try steel.

That's very strange.

We both compared series 2 Flynn 54s to the Us Kids TS2 54s AND TS2 57s, and concluded that US Kids TS are much more flexy.

Others in the forums will also agree.

Not ready to jump into steel just yet. :-)

For any juniors making the jump to adult iron, I would recommend looking into the KBS 560 junior shaft. Surprisingly, these are less stout than cutting down any adult shaft (ladies or seniors). In speaking with one of the guys who designed the shaft, they were made specifically for juniors wanting to use adult heads.

So far, I'm very impressed.

To answer your question, I wouldn't go to adult heads prior to age 8. That age also depends highly on the strength of the kid and also on skill level. I think we went adult heads at age 7.5 and I won't lie...it took some time to get used to the weight. Right now, he hits them very comfortably, which I would think will only improve with time.

Not sure which Flynn series he is in, but my daughter just went from Flynn 2 to TS 57", and I feel the USK shaft is firmer. Alternatively, he could try steel.

That's very strange.

We both compared series 2 Flynn 54s to the Us Kids TS2 54s AND TS2 57s, and concluded that US Kids TS are much more flexy.

Others in the forums will also agree.

Not ready to jump into steel just yet. :-)

I could be off. Not swearing by it. Comparing Flynn wedges to USK wedges. We never had TS2, perhaps they got stiffer in TS3?

The daughter of a good friend of mine is only 14 years old But already 1m 80 cm , she already plays ladies shafts .. as do Some of her age Who Are smaller . ( she and the other juniors of her category in our club Are already betWeen 4-8 Hcp , she is 3.2 , national team

Member.

If you like I can get more info via our junior captain , i play a round with hem every two weeks ..

Most 14 year old girls are swinging mens regular flex steel.

HH,

The downside is that the leaning curve will take longer. Might as well jump into a players iron to learn on them right away.

Flynn and US Kids would be GI.

lots of info here. First off most don't know but Flynn offers 4 head sizes in different weights. series 1 and 2 which are smaller and have the same appearance. Then a 2B and a 3 which look more like an adult head, much larger in appearance. On 8 iron weight compression 1 = 228, 2=243, 2b= between, 3 =261.

KBS makes a great junior shaft but there is a weight issue to is, its beefy if you are coming from a light weight graphite. Its flex is fine. We tried one for a bit and my 7 year old could hit it just fine, just couldn't get the height or distance needed from it. Way too early for her it was a demo club that was built.

Adult vs flynn. There are cases where Finn and Adult are the same weight or close to it. Flynn is pretty darn cheap even if you go away from their shafts the heads alone run you $11 I think. Very cost effective to buy and put whatever shaft you want in them. Adult heads going to be quite pricey. There is a point where that is a needed jump but I think the juniors game needs to match it. Ping is great because they can give you any weight you pretty much need, but you will pay $1000+ vs $400+ for a flynn set.

Game improvement irons are no good for juniors if you ask me. Teach them to work the ball, hit shots, flight it, hit it hight. Not saying blades but get them something in the players series. Just my two cents. my daughter is huge for her age, turns 8 next weeks stands at 55" and swing speed is around 65-70 depending on how she feels that day. I could move her to adult clubs and she would love that but we gone through two sets in under a year, no way I'm dealing with those costs with adult sets.

Member.

Ok , was trying to be helpfull, but apparently this is another league , because 14 year old girls with steel shaft is something I was not aware off, But l'm learning a lot Reading this threat(s) . I feel like like you ans the other parents overhere have Pretty much Everything covered / Are very knowladgable. Nice to read / see that . Sorry If

My info seemed wrong - inaccurate.

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Member.

Ok , was trying to be helpfull, but apparently this is another league , because 14 year old girls with steel shaft is something I was not aware off, But l'm learning a lot Reading this threat(s) . I feel like like you ans the other parents overhere have Pretty much Everything covered / Are very knowladgable. Nice to read / see that . Sorry If

Shaft flex is all dependent on swing speed. One of my buddies has a 14 year old daughter that is at 102 mph swing speed. She is actually in stiff shafts throughout the bag and steel shafts irons.

Member.

Shaft flex is all dependent on swing speed. One of my buddies has a 14 year old daughter that is at 102 mph swing speed. She is actually in stiff shafts throughout the bag and steel shafts irons.

Very Nice ! That's impressive stuff!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

lots of info here. First off most don't know but Flynn offers 4 head sizes in different weights. series 1 and 2 which are smaller and have the same appearance. Then a 2B and a 3 which look more like an adult head, much larger in appearance. On 8 iron weight compression 1 = 228, 2=243, 2b= between, 3 =261.

KBS makes a great junior shaft but there is a weight issue to is, its beefy if you are coming from a light weight graphite. Its flex is fine. We tried one for a bit and my 7 year old could hit it just fine, just couldn't get the height or distance needed from it. Way too early for her it was a demo club that was built.

Adult vs flynn. There are cases where Finn and Adult are the same weight or close to it. Flynn is pretty darn cheap even if you go away from their shafts the heads alone run you $11 I think. Very cost effective to buy and put whatever shaft you want in them. Adult heads going to be quite pricey. There is a point where that is a needed jump but I think the juniors game needs to match it. Ping is great because they can give you any weight you pretty much need, but you will pay $1000+ vs $400+ for a flynn set.

Game improvement irons are no good for juniors if you ask me. Teach them to work the ball, hit shots, flight it, hit it hight. Not saying blades but get them something in the players series. Just my two cents. my daughter is huge for her age, turns 8 next weeks stands at 55" and swing speed is around 65-70 depending on how she feels that day. I could move her to adult clubs and she would love that but we gone through two sets in under a year, no way I'm dealing with those costs with adult sets.

That's a very good point about the pricing.

I just need to irons, which would be $300 for Flynn, vs $400~$500 for adults.

https://www.ebay.com...ts/292643602982

As far as shafts go, I would simply cut down a ladies flex graphite. If I were to go completely custom, I would rather use the flynn shaft with adult heads. I'm actually pretty impressed with flynn shafts, and I personally think the biggest gain would be from the head. Having said that, this route would probably increase the cost, hence I would prefer to just cut the ladies shaft instead.