Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

Comments

• mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,586 ✭✭
    If they’re pricing these at the same level of Pro V1 and V1x then Titleist just doesn’t get it. I know I don’t sit into their shareholder meeting and get first hand looks at their books but it seems that all these companies are offering an equal or better ball for fraction of the cost of their top end balls and that’s what’s stealing their share of the pie. If they want to stop losing their hold of the market they better start playing the game.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,213 ✭✭
    is this Titleists response to the Volvic XT ball?
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,294 ✭✭
    Bucken77 wrote:

That is an expensive Chromesoft! Where is the Truvis?

And Chromesoft is just a Wilson Duo ripoff.
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,660 ✭✭
    I just picked up some Srixon Q Star Tours, and unless these are the same price, I won't buy them.
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    When someone started a thread about this a few weeks ago, I was intrigued. If the price is anything over $35, I am no longer interested. I won't pay $48/doz for a ball unless it gets me 290+ off the tee and feels soft off the irons and putter
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • Bucken77Bucken77 Poor Mans Ho ClubWRX Posts: 2,188 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:

When someone started a thread about this a few weeks ago, I was intrigued. If the price is anything over $35, I am no longer interested. I won't pay $48/doz for a ball unless it gets me 290+ off the tee and feels soft off the irons and putter

So your saying there's a chance
    Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
    Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
    Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
    Titleist SM4 52/58
    Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
    www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,061 ✭✭

Bucken77 wrote:

That is an expensive Chromesoft! Where is the Truvis?

And Chromesoft is just a Wilson Duo ripoff.

He's right you know...
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,853 ✭✭
    They are trying to make a "go straight" version of the ProV1. Soft and good around the greens, but built for length and I bet it has a much higher MOI than the V1.

It will probably be a much better ball for 95% of us than the ProV1, but given the identical price, and availability of other similar balls (E5 for example) I wonder if it will stick at all.

I won't buy it simply because it costs more than the Chrome Soft, and I don't see how it could possibly do any more.

QuigleyDU wrote:

No... that isn't urethane. This may be extremely similar, but with a higher price and a urethane cover.
    Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,797 ✭✭
    The AVX won't be as expensive as the ProV1 once they are released nationwide in February. Shhhh... Don't tell anyone that you heard it from me.
  • cane700cane700 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭
    Lots of similar balls in this category at much lower price points. So I certainly hope they price this accordingly. I'm a Titleist guy and I'm willing to pay more for absurd levels of greenside spin with the prov1x. I wont pay extra for a Titleist version of the Project A.
    Mahamilto wrote:
    They are trying to make a "go straight" version of the ProV1. Soft and good around the greens, but built for length and I bet it has a much higher MOI than the V1.

It will probably be a much better ball for 95% of us than the ProV1, but given the identical price, and availability of other similar balls (E5 for example) I wonder if it will stick at all.

I won't buy it simply because it costs more than the Chrome Soft, and I don't see how it could possibly do any more.
    QuigleyDU wrote:

No... that isn't urethane. This may be extremely similar, but with a higher price and a urethane cover.

Correct, but it is similar enough in concept to make me think of it. I am not sure how well this will fair. It does not really interest me that much.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    The pattern looks like this one wilson ball that I saw someone playing
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Mario Good TimesMario Good Times Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Titleist will keep losing ground little by little on golf balls till they lower there price on prov1 prov1x. This makes no sense why the same price as prov1's? If I'm spending $45 on a dozen balls I'm not trying something new.
  • Corey H.Corey H. Members Posts: 12
    I'm pretty sure it will sale once you hit the AVX. It's the best ball I have ever hit. It is very straight and very long. I work for Titleist. I got my hands a couple balls to test.
  • Corey H.Corey H. Members Posts: 12
    @ Cane700 this ball is way better then a Project A. Great spin and check around the greens. Soft feel off the tee and irons.
  • DBillDBill Members Posts: 1,107 ✭✭
    Corey H. wrote:

I'm pretty sure it will sale once you hit the AVX. It's the best ball I have ever hit. It is very straight and very long. I work for Titleist. I got my hands a couple balls to test.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,274 ✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2017 #48

How do you get marketshare back when you're offering another ball at your highest price? Desperation doesn't look good on you, Titleist

Arrogance. Just shows you how out of touch they are. Titlesit is getting SMOKED in clubs sales and are down AGAIN in balls sales last quarter.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
    Titleist will keep losing ground little by little on golf balls till they lower there price on prov1 prov1x. This makes no sense why the same price as prov1's? If I'm spending $45 on a dozen balls I'm not trying something new.

I don't know, I don't see anything about golf getting into cheaper. Equipment is getting more expensive, rounds are more expensive... this is not going to change that. They introduce it at that price because they know that a good percentage will buy based on the claim of more distance and more spin. Blah blah blah.
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    Oh the irony- there's thread in the Tour section about how the ball goes too far. Hope this one goes a mile. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • AP2 712AP2 712 Members Posts: 5,509
    QuigleyDU wrote:

I don't know, I don't see anything about golf getting into cheaper. Equipment is getting more expensive, rounds are more expensive... this is not going to change that. They introduce it at that price because they know that a good percentage will buy based on the claim of more distance and more spin. Blah blah blah.

I wasn't going for the claims of more distance and more spin but once you mention "blah blah blah", I'm sold!

Joking aside, I will try this ball. Why not?
  • johnny_golfballjohnny_golfball Members Posts: 423 ✭✭
    Can't wait to 3 putt with these
    AP2 712 wrote:
    QuigleyDU wrote:

I wasn't going for the claims of more distance and more spin but once you mention "blah blah blah", I'm sold!

Joking aside, I will try this ball. Why not?

Haha
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    Dont kniw why all the hate, I'll try one if i dont like it I'll stick with pro v......

Certainly they have done a good a job of running their ball dept.....but I am sure somr here would do better job, lol

• dimitribdimitrib Members Posts: 32
    Are there any other details that n this new ball? Any indication this will replace the Prov1/v1x ball on the market

Hunting Donkeys
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    I'll always give a new ball a chance. Maybe, this'll be the first titleist i like.
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Members Posts: 366 ✭✭
    It's possible that the writer is comparing the List price of AVX with the street price of the Pro V1.

If that is correct, then AVX could have a street price of $39.99.

It makes no sense to cost the same as Pro V1. If they think that will sell, they may as well name it the Pro V1 Soft or Pro V1 AVX.

It's nice to see the yellow version. A yellow Pro V1 would likely outsell AVX.
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,587 ✭✭
    The Velocity is their distance niche ball. Not sure what group Titleist is going after with this.At that price, probably going to end up being in the discount group by 2018.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • Masse1369Masse1369 Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭
    This is a lower launching and lower spinning ProV. Straight from the horse's mouth.
  • Jrweber77Jrweber77 Webz59 Members Posts: 163
    edited Sep 20, 2017 #60
    They say it will be priced the same as the ProV line. If they were $30 a dozen I'd give it a go. For now my Snell MTB at around $26 a dozen (buy 5 get 1 free) are doing the job just fine!
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,355 ✭✭
    Besides the yellow ball, I guess I don't understand the need for this if it is the same price as the Pro V1.
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport